PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe the animated movie blu ray WTF?

Joecom
09-13-2010, 03:29 PM
WTF! Is right. It will not play on my computer. I thought the disc was bad so I sent it back to Shout and got a new one and the same thing happens. I have a new Blu Ray drive that I have played at least 15 different movies and they all play fine but when I put the animated movie in it crashes every time. No warnings no error messages nothing. It will not even get to the menu soon as it gets past the commentary message it crashes. I have Cyberlink Power DVD 10 Ultimate updated all the way. I've tried adjusting every different setting turned off de-interlacing etc. nothing no matter what I do it will not play. Are any of you having the same problem on your computer ? I even tried a different blu ray compatible program it won't even play the disc.

Sailor_Joe
09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
I had a similar problem with the Resolute DVD. Did you try playing the DVD on a stand-alone player? I'm not sure what the problem is but I would speculate that the DVD has some kind of heavy duty encryption to prevent copying. When I played my Resolute DVD on the stand-alone player, no probs. Just the DVD ROM on the Computer.

Joecom
09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't know about copy protection being a problem. I'm just tring to watch it I don't even have Blu-Ray burning software on my computer. ? I've never had a Blu-ray DVD not even a regular DVD do this before this is a first time. I don't have a stand alone player for Blu-ray to test it with :(

Sailor_Joe
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't know about copy protection being a problem. I'm just tring to watch it I don't even have Blu-Ray burning software on my computer. ? I've never had a Blu-ray DVD not even a regular DVD do this before this is a first time. I don't have a stand alone player for Blu-ray to test it with :(

I'm not sure... But some DVDs register computer ROMs as burning device. Mostly because with most players, you can do still frame shots. It's not incredibly common, though. Are you having issues with any other discs?

Joecom
09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure... But some DVDs register computer ROMs as burning device. Are you having issues with any other discs?

Nope just this one. I've played at least 15 different Blu-ray movies and cartoons all the way though and watched them. That's why I thought the disc was bad and sent it back. This is the second disc same result. So I thought maybe the drive was bad so I updated the firmware and still the same thing. Every other disc plays fine even regular DVD's the Regular animated movie DVD plays fine just not the Blu-ray. This is so frustrating :(

ChaplainAsst
09-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Sailor_Joe might be right. They may have some proprietary copy protection that is interfering with your software. Did you try the regular DVD that came with the Blu-ray to see if it would work on your computer?

Joecom
09-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Sailor_Joe might be right. They may have some proprietary copy protection that is interfering with your software. Did you try the regular DVD that came with the Blu-ray to see if it would work on your computer?

Yep the regular DVD works perfect.

CrimsonGuard101
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Time for a PS3 me thinks! :)

Also see if there is a firmware update for your blu-ray player. Blu-rays are notroius for firmware support...

Bombardier
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
your computer sucks

Sailor_Joe
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
If the DVD works, then I'm thinking that copy protection might not be the issue. As others mentioned, check the firmware.

Joecom
09-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Did that Firmware on my Blu-Ray drive was updated. It made no change. My computer is fine the DVD sucks lol!!

Joecom
09-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I know the odds are really high but you think this disc is also bad two in a row is it possible ?

CrimsonGuard101
09-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I know the odds are really high but you think this disc is also bad two in a row is it possible ?

Plaussible but unlikley, take it to an eletronics store and let them play it in a normal blu-ray player thats on display.

Joecom
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
I think what I'll do is give it to my brother to test it on his Blu-ray stand alone player if it works then I'm just gonna think that the disc is incompatible on the PC ?

CrimsonGuard101
09-13-2010, 04:49 PM
PC and stand alone players have different lasers and firmware abilities. Most blu-rays are deisgned to work in stand alone players that are not deisgned to copy or potentially copy thier discs so it is possible it could just be incompatibale with your player. The only way to know this is to play it in a different player of any type. If you have any freinds or family that have another pc type blu-ray player or go to best buy/compusa and ask to try it on display laptops/desktops with different brands of the players you can make a detemrination on those results. You may also need to check witht he blu-ray players OEM manufactuer like LG, Sony or whoever made the player and see if they have suggestions on a remedy. Given Shout is not a huge producer like Sony or Dinsey I doubt they would have a super encryption deisgn that would be casuing this, its most likley a cheap code or something that is just not supported well by the players on the market and was just a simple oversight in that compatibility on your particualr player as they can't test them all.

Joecom
09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I'll give it shot.

Sailor_Joe
09-13-2010, 05:05 PM
I think what I'll do is give it to my brother to test it on his Blu-ray stand alone player if it works then I'm just gonna think that the disc is incompatible on the PC ?

Good idea. But as CG101 stated. It's likely cheap encryption. I had the same issues with my Resolute DVD. Damn thing wouldn't play on my computer. But cool on my PS3 and DVD player.

sharky
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
If copy protection coding is in fact the issue might I suggest AnyDVD. I believe it works for Blu-Ray as well as standard DVD. I use it for my regular DVD drive and it has yet to see a DVD that it can't decode. It works on the fly when you insert a DVD in the DVD drive of your computer eliminating copy protection and region coding as the computer reads the disc. I believe it would help in this case.

The reason it always works on my DVDs Is becuase I get updates evey few weeks so it keeps up with the latest coding methods.

notpicard
09-13-2010, 06:30 PM
It doesn't even get to the menu? In my PS3, mine was stopping the disk and sending me back to the PS3 menu every time I tried to get anything to play.

What I found is that if I skip forward through the commercials that autoplay (instead of clicking the button to go to the menu as I normally do), it gives me the fullframe or widescreen option. After that, it played fine.

I would imagine that skipping this option could cause different unwanted results depending on your system. Can you shut off autoplay or find a way to sit through the early ads to get to the fullframe/wide screen menu?

jwmagick
09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
It doesn't even get to the menu? In my PS3, mine was stopping the disk and sending me back to the PS3 menu every time I tried to get anything to play.

What I found is that if I skip forward through the commercials that autoplay (instead of clicking the button to go to the menu as I normally do), it gives me the fullframe or widescreen option. After that, it played fine.

I would imagine that skipping this option could cause different unwanted results depending on your system. Can you shut off autoplay or find a way to sit through the early ads to get to the fullframe/wide screen menu?

I remember reading something about that in a different topic. I think the representative from Shout suggested doing that. They didn't know why it did that.

Joecom
09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I thought that maybe autoplay was causing an issues so I have it disabled but it still does it. Update! I gave it to my brother to test it works on his player but it took almost 20 seconds for it to get past the loading part which is before the protection warning.