PDA

View Full Version : Comics...I want in!!

Roadblock Recall
04-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I've never read the comics, my Joe fandom comes from the toyline which comes from the 80s cartoons. After years of reading on messageboards the interesting things that have happened in the Joe comic books, I've finally decided to give them a try. I do want to start somewhat from the beginning though...and I'd like to only stick to the main universe ( so no transformer crap or anything like that) So please give me some direction on what books to start with...or give me the names of the books in order. As in, comic series A happens prior to comic series B, and so on.

Also, if you guys have any of these books and are willing to part with them for cheap...let me know.

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Wow....well the toyline was mainly inspired by the comic, you can tell by the filecards. Your best bet, is to start with the Marvel A Real American Hero trade paperbacks from a few years back. There are 4, I would read them in order.

Roadblock Recall
04-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Wow....well the toyline was mainly inspired by the comic, you can tell by the filecards. Your best bet, is to start with the Marvel A Real American Hero trade paperbacks from a few years back. There are 4, I would read them in order.

4 books and I'm all caught up??? I thought there was a LOT more than that.

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 07:09 PM
4 books and I'm all caught up??? I thought there was a LOT more than that.
There is, but those are the ones you should start with, and sadly the only marvel trades out for joe.

Roadblock Recall
04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
There is, but those are the ones you should start with, and sadly the only marvel trades out for joe.

Thanks for the tip! Do Borders and Barnes & Noble still have these?

darth Cujo
04-24-2008, 07:24 PM
There are actually 5 Marvel tpbs covering the first 50 issues. There are 155 issues in the main marvel run, plus 28 special missions, and 4 yearbooks which make up the main continuity. Here's a couple links to check out if you want to know more about the comics:

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/gihome2.html
http://www.joereloaded.com/forum/
http://yojoe.com/comics/

The marvel comic is the backbone to the GI Joe mythos, you're in for a treat if you've never read them.

Roadblock Recall
04-24-2008, 07:28 PM
There are actually 5 Marvel tpbs covering the first 50 issues. There are 155 issues in the main marvel run, plus 28 special missions, and 4 yearbooks which make up the main continuity. Here's a couple links to check out if you want to know more about the comics:

http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/gihome2.html
http://www.joereloaded.com/forum/
http://yojoe.com/comics/

The marvel comic is the backbone to the GI Joe mythos, you're in for a treat if you've never read them.

Do the Devil's Due and Image comics follow the same continuity as the Marvel run?

I always hear mention of the Joe team being disbanded and later re-organized. In what series does that happen?

swafus
04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I would start from the beginning. I will say that the first 7-8 issues were a little "hokey" in my opinion but have some very good parts as well. This series really kicked in for me with issue # 11. It introduced a bunch of new characters (destro, wild bill, doc, gung ho, etc.) and had a great ice battle very reminiscent of the film "Ice Station Zebra".
Issue # 12 continues the bad assery with the sierra gordo mission storyline that continues through # 15. Everything from #11-77 is great!
I will also recommend Special Missions #1-28. (especially #2, 8,13 and 19)

nacho
04-24-2008, 07:31 PM
They are disbanded at the end of the Marvel run (155) and they get back together in the first Image/DDP series. Plus there are a couple of stories printed later that occur in the interim, Frontline 1-4 and Master and Apprentice 1-4.

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Do the Devil's Due and Image comics follow the same continuity as the Marvel run?

I always hear mention of the Joe team being disbanded and later re-organized. In what series does that happen?
Yes, the DDP/Image comics are in the same continuity, except for G.I. Joe Reloaded.

The team is disbanded at the end of the marvel run, but reorganized at the beginning of the DDP run. Zartan, Baroness, Storm Shadow, and Destro are brainwashed back into serving Cobra at the end of the Marvel run, and this was always meant to be temporary, however the comic was axed before Hama could fix it. It would be nearly 10 years before Storm Shadow finally broke free of this in the DDP comics.

Roadblock Recall
04-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Frontline? Master/Apprentice? See...all these books getting thrown at me all at the same time is confusing me! Someone type them all out in order for me. LOL

swafus
04-24-2008, 07:35 PM

issue #155 ( a must have if you can find it!) of the marvel run is when the team is moth-balled. The continuity picks up again with G.I.Joe #1 from Image (Devil's Due) in Sept. 01.

hectorxd
04-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I have read through the main marvel line twice and it is awesome. Dont skip out on any of the early ones. Some of the best characters started and ended within the first 20 issues.
Depending on what years of GI Joe figures you like, you will like the comics up to a certain point. If you dont like Ninjas than brace yourself, because later on it turns in to a snake eyes fest.

Great stories throughout though.

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Marvel Run
Frontline
Master and Apprentice I
DDP #1-?
Master and Apprentice II

swafus
04-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah toward the end of the marvel run they started printing "SNAKE-EYES" (with g.i.joe) on the covers! I kid you not.

Roadblock Recall
04-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I have read through the main marvel line twice and it is awesome. Dont skip out on any of the early ones. Some of the best characters started and ended within the first 20 issues.
Depending on what years of GI Joe figures you like, you will like the comics up to a certain point. If you dont like Ninjas than brace yourself, because later on it turns in to a snake eyes fest.

Great stories throughout though.

I gotta admit, I'm a bit intrigued with the whole history behind SnakeEyes/Zartan/StormShadow stuff. But I'd rather have soldier Joe stuff over Ninja stuff if I had to choose.

Roadblock Recall
04-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Marvel Run
Frontline
Master and Apprentice I
DDP #1-?
Master and Apprentice II

PERFECT...exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
so the question mark in the DDP...is that because you don't know the last one or because they are still being made?

Again, are these paperbacks available at local bookstore chains?

hectorxd
04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Its a good story with the ninjas at the beginning. Its when ninja force comes in that its all over. The ninja force and the cobra ninjas slice and dice. In my opinion it took a turn for the worse with that stuff. The early stuff was great though.

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
so the question mark in the DDP...is that because you don't know the last one or because they are still being made?
Its because I'm not sure which issues Master and Apprentice II take place between/run parallel to

Best place to look is either your waldenbooks, barnes and nobles, or local comic store, the latter most likely to have it.