PDA

View Full Version : Again.......Why not Stalker instead of Ripcord?

mynameisash
04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Ripcord is a white paratrooper. Not to say someone black couldnt play him. If marlon Wayans resembles any it would be Stalker. Stalker was an original, not Ripcord. Ripcord sat the sidelines in the cartoon. He probably had a short role in the comics, I dunno. I never liked him because he seemed too plain. But Stalker was and original with leadership. When they cast Wayans as Ripcord, did Hama think to tell the guys that he would make a better Stalker? I could argue this alld day til Im blue in the face. I like black characters in GI Joe, but I want them to do it right. Ripcord is a character outta left field like Mercer, Airborn, or Steeler. I like all of these, but you get what Im saying.

shlappyguy
04-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Stalker is one of my favorite three Joes, and it makes me sad that he won't be appearing in the film. I would even be cool with Wayans playing him; having seen Requiem for a Dream, I know he's got some dramatic chops.

The other question is why Heavy Duty over Roadblock? It's always been weird to me how Heavy Duty has replaced Roadblock in so much later Joe product and media.

Jay West
04-22-2008, 01:34 PM
I guess b/c the writers really wanted a comic sidekick for Duke. That's not Stalker at all. So they just figured they would give him any old name from the toyline. I can't really think of an African American Joe that fits the comic sidekick role (well unless they were really clever and went with Big Lob - I can see it now shortened to Lt. Lob to sound cool :) ). I think they would have been better off just creating a new character for Wayans role.

For me, assuming the figures blend well with the 25th figures, Wayans figure will just join the small group of Joes who share code names. He will be the second Ripcord like there are two Docs, Dustys and Airbornes etc...

shlappyguy
04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
There are two different Dustys?

hectorxd
04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Actually from what Ive heard Wayans would be better in the Alpine roll where him and Bazooka could be the comic relief.

Gung.Heaux
04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
my question is...

with all the fanfare over the creative consultation of larry hama, did he mention this? did he not? did he and the powers that be not care?

wayans isnt a dealbreaker for me...i will still be there opening day.
but idve rathered a little more accuracy.

Jay West
04-22-2008, 02:24 PM
There are two different Dustys?

Yes:

The one who most figures are based on:

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/85/dusty.shtml

And Dusty II

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/02/dusty5.shtml

They basically have the same file cards, but it is 2 different file names

Moses
04-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Ripcord was a major player in the comic books for a little while, then he disappeared. They probably would have been better off trying to do a Alpine/Bazooka comic relief duo - sort of like the two pirates in POC. Maybe the producers put a negative connotation to the name "Stalker."

Funnel Rat
04-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, Ripcord seems like such an odd choice. I haven't read the script but unless there's a real good reason to have a para-trooper, they've wasted a chance to have a great classic character in there. Why not have Wayons play Blowtorch at this point? At least he'd have a different weapon than the rest.

I guess having both Hawk and Duke have made the need for Stalker and Flint type leaders a bit unnesscesary. At the very least why not have a kinda wise cracking "Doc"? If they need a wise cracking character at all.

CynthiaCM
04-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Ripcord was a major player in the comic books for a little while, then he disappeared.

It seemed to me at the time that Hama was giving Ripcord something of a "try-out" to see if the character would connect with the readers enough to make him a major player. And I don't think it worked out.

That having been said, I liked Ripcord's portrayal during that time (and still do, as a matter of fact) and wish that he would have been featured more prominently.

I guess that's why it kind of bothers me when fans refer to him as a no-name type of low-wrung character. He may not have always been a huge star of the comic, but his storyline was a big deal and affected the series' direction to a large degree. From his romance with Candy to the swapping of identities between him and Zartan, I just don't see him as the throw-away character that others seem to.

spacemonkeymafia
04-22-2008, 04:05 PM
You wanna know why because the only smart choice they made with this film was Ray Park......the rest So/So. The guys that wrote the script
never read or watched a GI Joe anything.......

G.I. Smurf
04-22-2008, 04:51 PM
i think the smart choice was quaid and the guy playing storm shadow. although i like parks, someone more muscled would have been better, but then again the suit takes care of that. having heavy duty and not roadblock, wayans as ripcord, the guy playing duke, these choices kills the movie and i will not be seeing it. maybe buying a bootleg, lol.

onefastbird95
04-22-2008, 05:16 PM
They should have just made Wayans stalker for the sake of him looking like him and not upsetting and shocking the fans.

Crimson Guard 51
04-22-2008, 07:47 PM
i think you guys might be freaking out. i'm betting the guy wants to branch out to different roles.

i would want to be able to do different roles if i was him.

i could be wrong, but i bet he pulls off ripcord fine.

now, him with scarlett instead of snake eyes, that bothers me.

maybe it's just a passing thing to be rectified in the sequel.

MAJOR WOLF
04-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Actually from what Ive heard Wayans would be better in the Alpine roll where him and Bazooka could be the comic relief.

I agree with that.

Wylde Weezle
04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
I think he'll do fine as Ripcord, but I'll agree; I think most fans wouldn't complain if he had been announced in the role of Alpine.

Crimson Guard 51
04-24-2008, 12:15 AM
you're probably correct with that.

the ones who would have still complained would have been the ones who didn't want much comedic relief in the movie.

SnakeEyes
04-24-2008, 12:42 AM
OK...for what it's worth...I really don't have much faith that this movie is going to be anything like we would have written it. With that being said, I don't think it will matter who plays what in this film. I think we will all leave the theatre scratching our heads thinkin, "Did I just go into the wrong theatre?" It sounds to me like they just reached up and pulled a story out of thin air, and all the characters will be LOOSE interpretations of what we all have come to know and love! I've said it before, I hate to be a hater but if these "script reviews" and "rumors" hold true...well, we'll see!

Dark 5cythe
04-24-2008, 01:07 AM
my question is...

with all the fanfare over the creative consultation of larry hama, did he mention this? did he not? did he and the powers that be not care?

wayans isnt a dealbreaker for me...i will still be there opening day.
but idve rathered a little more accuracy.

Hama is a hack and past his GI JOE writing prime. What was the point of having him even be part of the movie?

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Hama is a hack and past his GI JOE writing prime. What was the point of having him even be part of the movie?
He had a hand in the creation of the RAH characters. Same reason they ask Stan Lee for advice on Marvel movies.

Crimson Guard 51
04-24-2008, 01:42 AM
does anyone really know how much stroke Hama had in this project at all?

MrLizard13
04-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Doesn't look like he had to much to be honest. I'm guessing they had him come in to appease fans and make it look like they were going to stick closer to the comics...but maybe I'm just being cynical.

As far as the Stalker or Ripcord thing goes: I would rather have Stalker in the movie.....but I don't think Wayans would be a good choice for the part. It's not because he can't play a serious role...I've seen him do that, it's just that he doesn't look, sound or feel like Stalker to me (I'm being ultra picky because Stalker is my favorite non-snake eyes original Joe).
As far as him playing Ripcord...I'm fine with it. I think he'll fill the buddy role nicely and I don't think ripcord was really defined by his race so that change isn't a biggie (also I guess it's cool Rip Cord is in the movie after all he did have a decent role in the early Marvel days)

Crimson Guard 51
04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
ripcord was big right up until they killed Candy...then you basically lost him.

i have no problem with him.

i agree with you that i don't see wayans playing stalker. stalker always seemed serious. samuel l jackson, that's a stalker i could see.

probably couldn't afford him.

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
does anyone really know how much stroke Hama had in this project at all?
At this point no one knows, and everything else is assumption.

Wayans is too young to be Stalker.

Loki41872
04-24-2008, 08:04 PM

Just my opinion here, but in the interview with Hama after he went to the set, everyone commented that he looked tired and acted confused, or high.

I think it might have been more along the lines of him trying to give that interview and not say anything that might loose him that nice check they wrote him for what was, basically, just his "Blessing".

If the script is real, and that's what they are filming, I think Hama had ZERO to do with this movie, other than showing up, getting his endorsement check, and telling us all how much we're gonna love it.

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Just my opinion here, but in the interview with Hama after he went to the set, everyone commented that he looked tired and acted confused, or high.
The way the interviewer composed himself didn't help either. For all we know, Hama could have just woken up, or was too busy on set and barely slept. Also, thats just one interview, and was months ago.

As the months go by and we move closer to the movie date, I'm sure we will gradually learn more of what Hama actually did with regards to the movie.

Omegawrath
04-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Stalker pwns Duke by a mile.

You can't have ANYONE pwning Duke. It's not ... American!

Omegawrath
04-24-2008, 08:21 PM

Wayans is too young to be Stalker.
And Tatum's old enough to be Duke?

Shin Densetsu
04-24-2008, 08:23 PM
And Tatum's old enough to be Duke?
Don't know, and don't care. Duke sucks, I only liked the Sigma 6 version because the figures were cool, but as a character, no.

young1nj
04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
I just read the first post and i couldn't agree more. With due respect to ripcord, when i first read script spoilers and such I wondered why they were making him a main character. I wan't to watch this GI Joe movie and think about the old times and add more details and cool stuff to it.

I wan't to be able to relate to this in a sense of not being confused and not thinking to myself hmmm.... its like they put the power rangers in the gi joe universe and let them morph. Then it seems like they are trying to change the gi joe characters to be these perfect people who all have very positive pasts and then add in story lines to make them have a reason for being a joe. Are they forgetting about the good ole days, I don't want to see a Sigma 6 big screen movie, i want to see a movie about stuff that i liked for so long and has stayed pretty prominent up to this point.

Sorry if this is a spoiler, i will try not to ruin it, but i read somewhere that a character we know well is going to have a past relationship with the baroness? Maybe if you read this spoiler and read the comics, maybe you can tell me that this might have actually happened because I can't believe this would happen. Its like there changing everything up.

Gothiczartan
04-24-2008, 10:37 PM
maybe they decided to upgrade the ripcord character for the movie because most of you joe fans knew the original ripcord as a 1984 figure. it's for most of the non joe fan movie goers to see the new ripcord.

most of the movie joes and cobra looks great for the movie just like they did for the transformers movie version which I'm quite happy for it.

the gijoe movie next year must have their own joe continuity!

Viper46
04-24-2008, 11:24 PM
maybe they decided to upgrade the ripcord character for the movie because most of you joe fans knew the original ripcord as a 1984 figure. it's for most of the non joe fan movie goers to see the new ripcord.

most of the movie joes and cobra looks great for the movie just like they did for the transformers movie version which I'm quite happy for it.

the gijoe movie next year must have their own joe continuity!

WHY is that a MUST?

Onslaught Six
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
WHY is that a MUST?

Because. EVERYTHING that gets made into a movie has its own continuity. The first Spider-Man movie was even pretty damned faithful to the comics (Goblin outfit aside--and if you're going to bitch about that, the original Green Goblin outfit is ridiculous and stupid.) but it was still its own continuity.

Hell, the cartoon and the comics were seperate continuities, but nobody bitched about that, did they?

I wan't to watch this GI Joe movie and think about the old times and add more details and cool stuff to it.

There's not apostrophe in the word "want." You do this twice and it makes you look stupid.

Sorry if this is a spoiler, i will try not to ruin it, but i read somewhere that a character we know well is going to have a past relationship with the baroness? Maybe if you read this spoiler and read the comics, maybe you can tell me that this might have actually happened because I can't believe this would happen. Its like there changing everything up.

Snake Eyes killed Baroness's brother. It wouldn't be a big stretch if maybe they dated in the movie now. Is it going to bother you that much? It won't bother me because I don't 'care.' They look kinda cool and that's about all I do care about.

Also, and this is something I don't think you guys have considered: "Stalker" does not exactly have a positive connotation in 2008 America. Yeah. Think about that. You don't want your secondary protagonist of your movie running around being a stalker, do you? Then you might have little kids running around, going, "I'm gonna be just like Stalker when I grow up!" Yeah. Not good there.

(Mind, I'm not trying to argue a point that I *agree* with, but it's a strong possibility.)

Gungho-joe
04-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I very much am a child of the 80's. Spiderman and his amazing friends, He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers. They had a look that was all for our generation. When I saw the first images of the movie Green Goblin, live action Optimus Prime, and the movie black costume spiderman I paused. When my little boy saw each of them he loved them. This live action GI Joe movie is very much the next generations version of what we grew up with.Nothing will ever capture the magic in our heart like the original cartoon and comic. I am just glad that these characters have endured the this long to be introduced to my son and all the new joe fans around the world. Long Live G.I. JOE, in all its forms. Maybe we should just wait and give it a chance, maybe when our generation and the new generation come together in the movie theater we might all leave happy

Shin Densetsu
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Long Live G.I. JOE, in all its forms. Maybe we should just wait and give it a chance, maybe when our generation and the new generation come together in the movie theater we might all leave happy
Thats the most intelligent thing I have read during these past few days. Each generation since the 60's has their own gijoe. As much as people want to ignore this, a lot of the 12" crowd, the original joe collectors, dislike RAH/3-3/4".

I don't think Wayans should be playing Ripcord, nor Stalker. In the end, I just want to watch a good G.I. Joe movie. As much as people keep saying it should stay true to continuity, even Hama himself doesn't like being bogged down by continuity.

deathvalleymachine
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I agree, it has bothered me since the casting was announced - Stalker all the way...

flash70
04-25-2008, 04:50 PM
you know if we don't get a stalker and dumb-jerk ripcord its just not worth it man...

GI Guppy the third
04-25-2008, 05:30 PM
i haven't read this entire thread but I think the reason he's not "Stalker" is because "Stalker" has another negative meaning.

That being said, I think if Stalker rears his head at all in this series, I think he needs to be old school Spec Forces and try to keep with his background (Maybe change Nam to Panama). I would be more than happy if they chose an older actor to portray him.

Shin Densetsu
04-25-2008, 05:51 PM
That being said, I think if Stalker rears his head at all in this series, I think he needs to be old school Spec Forces and try to keep with his background (Maybe change Nam to Panama). I would be more than happy if they chose an older actor to portray him.
Agreed. Stalker was a battle hardened war veteran, older than some of the joes and definitely experienced. I don't mind seeing Wayans portray a young soldier, but a battle hardened veteran? Maybe when he is older, but not now.

G.I.Eddie
04-25-2008, 06:05 PM
There's not apostrophe in the word "want." You do this twice and it makes you look stupid.

hey super smart spelling/grammar police, he only did it once that i read...

Stalker was a battle hardened war veteran, older than some of the joes and definitely experienced.

like "they" give a flying crap about his established background is...apparently "they" dont care about any established background...

VIPER 48
04-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Thats the most intelligent thing I have read during these past few days. Each generation since the 60's has their own gijoe. As much as people want to ignore this, a lot of the 12" crowd, the original joe collectors, dislike RAH/3-3/4".

I don't think Wayans should be playing Ripcord, nor Stalker. In the end, I just want to watch a good G.I. Joe movie. As much as people keep saying it should stay true to continuity, even Hama himself doesn't like being bogged down by continuity.

I agree, and good points...

gunslingercbr
04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
or they can simply make him a hardened war vet without any reference to real world scenarios. the universe this movie is set in isn't real, and the filmmakers are purposely attempting to establish that, hence why there is no reference to any real wars and a completely fictional and fantastical scenario.

MAJOR WOLF
04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
or they can simply make him a hardened war vet without any reference to real world scenarios. the universe this movie is set in isn't real, and the filmmakers are purposely attempting to establish that, hence why there is no reference to any real wars and a completely fictional and fantastical scenario.

That makes sense...

Griffin73
04-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Ripcord is a non offensive word. Stalker to me always brings back to the Night Stalker from the 80's living in Southern California. Remember Richard Ramirez the Satan-worshiping rapist and serial killer. I bet that's why they don't use that name.

Crimson Guard 51
04-28-2008, 03:09 AM
Because. EVERYTHING that gets made into a movie has its own continuity. The first Spider-Man movie was even pretty damned faithful to the comics (Goblin outfit aside--and if you're going to bitch about that, the original Green Goblin outfit is ridiculous and stupid.) but it was still its own continuity.

Hell, the cartoon and the comics were seperate continuities, but nobody bitched about that, did they?

if Viper will allow me to retort on his behalf.

the spiderman movie did have it's own continuity. but they stayed very close to the core material.

that is not the case here. had they stayed close with the characters, it would have been more acceptable to core fans, and still appealling to new viewers.

as for the cartoon and comic...one of the best things that DDP did was marry up some of the differing things from both.

the comics never had anything about Extensive Enterprises...the DDP comics brought it in.

the 'geraldo rivera' news guy...brought him in.

there were others.

one of the most appealing things about GI Joe was that the stories all fit into the same canon material, in the area of the characters themselves. every continuity bought from the same storehouse of characters.

THAT made GI Joe unique.

ignoring that has chapped a few hides.