PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro GIJOE, star wars

cobra towgunner
08-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Hasbro keeps putting out star wars and most of the new figures are just older ones on a new card! why can't Hasbro do this with GIJOE ? put out some old 25th on new cards. I would buy them! Hasbro also does with star wars is the crossover with the Transformers. why can't they do that with GIJOE? i would love a transforming Hisstank

Troynos
08-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Star Wars sales are up here.

Transformers sales are here.

Joe sales are here.

That should answer the questions. :)

Bernit69
08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Because people keep buying starwars figures.

facehammer
08-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I know we've discussed the cross over with TF before. To me, that is the only cross over that makes any sense, because there is actually a comic that goes with it. (and if it ever happens, please let it be a Joe/Cobra vehicle that transforms into an actual TF character and not a Joe/Cobra character...)

Shogi
08-25-2010, 12:16 PM
As others have said, Star Wars sells better. Besides, look at the way GI Joe fans complain about repainted figures, do you really think the same fans are gonna buy the exact same figure? This would really only work with the hard to find figures and that's basically just a small handfull of figures (maybe a wave's worth)

As for the Transformers crossover, Hasbro has said in the past the reason Star Wars and Transformers are crossed over is becasue they're sci-fi lines and apparently GI Joe isn't

I think it would be a great line (especially if you had Transformers characters turning into GI Joe vehicles)

Ctrl_Z
08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
As others have said, Star Wars sells better. Besides, look at the way GI Joe fans complain about repainted figures, do you really think the same fans are gonna buy the exact same figure? This would really only work with the hard to find figures and that's basically just a small handfull of figures (maybe a wave's worth)

As for the Transformers crossover, Hasbro has said in the past the reason Star Wars and Transformers are crossed over is becasue they're sci-fi lines and apparently GI Joe isn't

I think it would be a great line (especially if you had Transformers characters turning into GI Joe vehicles)
GI Joe/Transfomer Crossover would be so nerdgasmically awesome. I don't think some would be able to handle it at first.

Barefoot Jedi
08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm still holding out for something like this:

GIJOE/Transformers Crossovers: Transformers in 1/18" scale (or close enough) with GIJOE/COBRA pilots.

I would love it if Hasbro would at least experiment with a 1/18 transforming Seeker mold. They could get several items out of it. If it does well, do more. If not, at least they tried.

WAVE I
Starscream with COBRA Commander
Skywarp with the Baroness
Thundercracker with Wild Weasel

WAVE II (Conehead Kitbashes)
Thrust with Strato-Viper Commander
Dirge with AVAC Commander
Ramjet with Aero-Viper

WAVE III
Jetfire (red/white/black Seeker done as an Autobot?) with Ace
Decepticon Warrior (the purple jets from the original mini-series) with COBRA Pilot

Sunstorm or Acid Storm with ???

::shrugs::

I think it would suck in both Joe and Transformers collectors.

My only thing is I would rather see 3 3/4" action figure scale Transformers in their original shapes rather than the characters done as Joe and COBRA vehicles. If they did do transforming Joe/COBRA vehicles, I would suggest new characters for them.

Tanksmasher
08-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm not interested in any crossover toys but the Transformers did make appearances in Marvel GI Joe so if they wanted to make crossovers, I see no reason why they wouldn't.

cobra towgunner
08-25-2010, 12:38 PM
the GIJOE 25 th anv. figures were flying off the shelf! the hasbro put out the garbage movie and the crappy movie figures and they sat on the shelf! now at Target,walmart GIJOE gets 4 pegs!! also Hasbro needs to stop with all the Dukes,Snake eyes, Storm Shadows-there are many joes I would like to see updated or even all new GIJOES!!!

TK1945
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I know we've discussed the cross over with TF before. To me, that is the only cross over that makes any sense, because there is actually a comic that goes with it. (and if it ever happens, please let it be a Joe/Cobra vehicle that transforms into an actual TF character and not a Joe/Cobra character...)

Totally agree!

Derek2783
08-25-2010, 12:49 PM
That should answer the questions. :)

A gem of that size answers all my questions...

Troynos
08-25-2010, 12:49 PM
the GIJOE 25 th anv. figures were flying off the shelf! the hasbro put out the garbage movie and the crappy movie figures and they sat on the shelf! now at Target,walmart GIJOE gets 4 pegs!! also Hasbro needs to stop with all the Dukes,Snake eyes, Storm Shadows-there are many joes I would like to see updated or even all new GIJOES!!!

They didn't fly off the shelf. It's hard to do that when they had less shelf space then PoC is now. They appeared to sell well because the initial production runs were very low. When they increased production, they didn't sell.

As evidenced by all the 25th waves showing up at the 2nd run stores (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc..). I can go online and get a 5 pack of EELs easily.

RoC sat on shelves because it had the opposite problem, there was too much ordered. The stores went nuts and ordered too much. They hoped/banked on Joe doing the same thing that happened with Transformers. The movie comes out, the toys sold like hotcakes. That obviously didn't happen.

Now PoC is back towards what the 25th was originally.

When Renegades hits, you'll probably see shelf space increase because it'll tie into an ongoing cartoon series.

Captain STEVEN DePACE
08-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Fact: 25th G.I. Joes were a very low produced line. Had Hasbro produced them like they did Star Wars, or Transformers they'd wind up being exactly like Indiana Jones.

Fact: The movie was not garbage, it gave Ripcord a personality. Black Ripcord is a lot more interesting than white Ripcord since he overcame adversity.

Fact: The new Duke and Storm Shadow figures are wicked sick

Fact: Who really needs to see an updated Sneak Peek? I don't! (unless he becomes black and a woman)

Beckley
08-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I've actually wondered this myself, not the fact that they don't make more joes, but the fact they keep pumping out the same SW figures on different cards.
As a kid I loved SW just as much as GI Joe, but now I think the SW stuff is just so played out.
I mean, I love the Bounty Hunters, I love Bossk, but how many Bossk's do you need?
I like the Vintage Cards they're putting out, I understand their appeal, but other than that, I just can't believe fans are buying the same figures over and over.
Also, since there's the clone wars, I don't see why they don't just focus on those and give the movie characters, (at least for a while) a rest.

Troynos
08-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new (prequel movies) SW characters on the vintage cards: Grievous, Anakin, etc...

They do it with Star Wars because the Star Wars buyers go nuts for 'em and buy 'em. Joe buyers would not.

Beckley
08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new (prequel movies) SW characters on the vintage cards: Grievous, Anakin, etc...

I love the ones from the original trilogy that weren't made before like Dack & the Sand Trooper.

Derek2783
08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Fact: 25th G.I. Joes were a very low produced line. Had Hasbro produced them like they did Star Wars, or Transformers they'd wind up being exactly like Indiana Jones.

Fact: The movie was not garbage, it gave Ripcord a personality. Black Ripcord is a lot more interesting than white Ripcord since he overcame adversity.

Fact: The new Duke and Storm Shadow figures are wicked sick

Fact: Who really needs to see an updated Sneak Peek? I don't! (unless he becomes black and a woman)

Fact: Only your first and fourth facts, are in fact, facts.*

*Fact 4 is factual in that as stated, it is only your personal preference.

Steevy Maximus
08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
I've actually wondered this myself, not the fact that they don't make more joes, but the fact they keep pumping out the same SW figures on different cards.
As a kid I loved SW just as much as GI Joe, but now I think the SW stuff is just so played out.
I mean, I love the Bounty Hunters, I love Bossk, but how many Bossk's do you need?
I like the Vintage Cards they're putting out, I understand their appeal, but other than that, I just can't believe fans are buying the same figures over and over.
Also, since there's the clone wars, I don't see why they don't just focus on those and give the movie characters, (at least for a while) a rest.

Keep in mind that Star Wars gets new fans every year. Yes, kids like Clone Wars, but if they like CW, then they might also watch the films themselves and want THOSE characters so having a range of those also available is nothing but profit for Hasbro (especially the Saga Legends, that is almost pure profit for Hasbro and I strongly suspect they sell them to the big stores cheaper than the other two SKUs)

I personally view the Vintage cards as a sign that STar Wars HAS lost a lot of its buyers over the past couple years. Before Clone Wars, you had collectors AND kids buying from the same pool of product. Now, kids are largely focused on Clone Wars or key movie characters (largely present in the Saga Legends assortment). The collector line was left to collectors, and at this point, the character pool isn't that big anymore (they've done just about everyone, sometimes more than once).

I think using the Vintage stylings was Hasbro's way of bringing some of its older buyers back (like what happened with GI Joe), jury is still out how successful that is at the moment.

Angry.Android
08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not interested in any crossover toys but the Transformers did make appearances in Marvel GI Joe so if they wanted to make crossovers, I see no reason why they wouldn't.

While the crossover does have precedent, I doubt it would go the way fans want. You would get this:

Hiss Tank turns into Cobra Commander
Ninja Bike turns into Snake Eyes
Ninja Bike turns into Stormshadow (redeco with new head)
Vamp turns into Duke

Either way, i would pass on it, as i don't dig on TF stuff. But it might do well, i know alot of TF fans are rabid with long pockets.

I dunno man, but alot of 25th figures pegwarmed here until clearanced. The cool/rare ones "flew" off the shelves, but i had to look at Mass Element CC forever, along with his pals WildBill, Ripper, and Tripwire.

I they are going to retread the figures, it should be as some form of "Fans Choice" wave like the SW Saga Legends figures. Retread the popular army builders and the hard to find guys, or guys that just saw multipack releases. .... Like a single card Chrome Face viper, or single card Python Viper, or single Card Alleyviper. Matter of fact, they could probably pump out a wave of just certain army builders and do well...

Derek2783
08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
While the crossover does have precedent, I doubt it would go the way fans won't. You would get this:

Vamp turns into Duke

Unfortunately, that's exactly what would happen.

I they are going to retread the figures, it should be as some form of "Fans Choice" wave like the SW Saga Legends figures. Retread the popular army builders and the hard to find guys, or guys that just saw multipack releases. .... Like a single card Chrome Face viper, or single card Python Viper, or single Card Alleyviper. Matter of fact, they could probably pump out a wave of just certain army builders and do well...

I'd love if they re-released the Python Viper with a better paint job. I'd buy a dozen. Chrome viper would sell, single carded orange Alley viper would sell.

But not in the same kind of quantities as the Star Wars troopers. Part of the reason the SW troops sell well over and over is that all of them are familiar to kids. The idea of white trooper with some kind of color means any of the troopers are familiar. You don't have that with the Joe troopers - there's no toon out right now to get those figures familiar to kids.

Roshan
08-25-2010, 01:51 PM
While the crossover does have precedent, I doubt it would go the way fans won't. You would get this:

Vamp turns into Duke

That's not what they've done in the past when working on this as an idea. Vehicles in scale with the joes was a plan kicked around some years back but the things are just too expensive to make given how big they'd have to be. If you made a playset, it'd be the size of fort max. Imagine the Masterpiece Optimus Prime and how big that was, it's still have to be 50% bigger to be in scale.

Angry.Android
08-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I'd love if they re-released the Python Viper with a better paint job. I'd buy a dozen. Chrome viper would sell, single carded orange Alley viper would sell.

But not in the same kind of quantities as the Star Wars troopers. Part of the reason the SW troops sell well over and over is that all of them are familiar to kids. The idea of white trooper with some kind of color means any of the troopers are familiar. You don't have that with the Joe troopers - there's no toon out right now to get those figures familiar to kids.

I totally agree with you here. It wouldn't put up SW numbers, and i don't think Joes ever will. I mean, love it or hate it, Star Wars redefined movies and our pop culture. It is so much more than a toy line, or comic book. There are freakin Jedi Religions fer cryin' out loud... But, having said that, i think there are enough wackadoodle army builders (i know, 'cause i'm one of them) out there to make such a revision line profitable, especially considering Hasbro has already put the tooling/design money into it.

Angry.Android
08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
That's not what they've done in the past when working on this as an idea. Vehicles in scale with the joes was a plan kicked around some years back but the things are just too expensive to make given how big they'd have to be. If you made a playset, it'd be the size of fort max. Imagine the Masterpiece Optimus Prime and how big that was, it's still have to be 50% bigger to be in scale.

And I'm sure it was a fine plan, but i highly doubt you will see it come to fruition. They would go the route i outlined because it's a known quantity that they are already doing. Would what you're describing be as impossible as a To-scale Joe carrier? No, but it would require more of a financial gamble than just copying the SW/TF formula, and doubt Hasbro wants to gamble in this economy.

Roshan
08-25-2010, 02:31 PM
And I'm sure it was a fine plan, but i highly doubt you will see it come to fruition. They would go the route i outlined because it's a known quantity that they are already doing. Would what you're describing be as impossible as a To-scale Joe carrier? No, but it would require more of a financial gamble than just copying the SW/TF formula, and doubt Hasbro wants to gamble in this economy.

That's just it, it's too big a financial gamble, and the flipside to the sw/tf model is that although it's a known quantity, it just won't sell with Joes. It's a catch-22 which is why we're not going to see either scenario.

JediKnutt
08-25-2010, 02:54 PM
I would definitely buy a GI Joe Legends type line. Especially if it included tons of army builders like the SW line. But according to Hasbro SW is mostly a kids line, especially Clone Wars, plus collectors. I would say mostly collectors, but whatever. GI Joe is primarily a collectors line. My 6 yr. old was really into Joe briefly, but now not so much.

Sailor_Joe
08-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Here's the thing... Can G.I. Joe sustain this kind of multiple line? My guess is the proof will be when both PoC and Renegades run simultaneously. If fans can prove their worth and continue to support the PoC line while Renegades pumps out the cartoon variations, then Hasbro might have enough support to justify a Legends or Legacy line as well. Also, keep in mind not only the 30th Anniversary of ARAH but the 50th Anniversary of the G.I. Joe brand is coming.

Captain STEVEN DePACE
08-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Fact: Only your first and fourth facts, are in fact, facts.*

*Fact 4 is factual in that as stated, it is only your personal preference.

Fact: Only a crazy ass fool would say no to that Jungle Duke, he has a machete man!

lespaul59
08-26-2010, 02:33 AM
I would definitely buy a GI Joe Legends type line. Especially if it included tons of army builders like the SW line. But according to Hasbro SW is mostly a kids line, especially Clone Wars, plus collectors. I would say mostly collectors, but whatever. GI Joe is primarily a collectors line. My 6 yr. old was really into Joe briefly, but now not so much.

I agree about them doing a Legends line. I don't see why they couldn't add one or two classic figures in with whatever the current line is. Like Low Light why not release him with a G.I. Joe Legendes badge. I would even like to see a redesigned Duke that is a little more realistic but in the classic colors. Well there is a few characters I would like to see get a more realistic update but in classic colors. And as for a Duke , Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow getting a figures in two to three waves, it's probaly because they sale better than every body else.