PDA

View Full Version : Clement sauve we need info please!

kennywr22
08-16-2010, 04:44 PM
OK so I know Clem joined the hisstank and I wanted to see if he could help clear up the whole concept pictures mess. Clem if you get a chance please tell us what you can about the pictures they are showing verses your final pictures and animation. Thanks.

Clem
08-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Do you mean the picture that's on the Hub webiste ?

kennywr22
08-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Yea that seems to be the one everyone is talking about. It looks like your concept pics blown up and colored quickly. I still like it myself. Any insight on when we will anything new such as new pics, animation. Thanks again Clem.

kennywr22
08-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't mean to be sounding like im demanding info. I'm just hugely excited for this cartoon and i love the style. I've already got my 10 year old excited for it just by showing him the 20 second clip from sdcc. I look for more info and pictures daily on the web but it sure is slow coming.

Clem
08-22-2010, 08:07 PM
I've gotten numerous emails about this, and yeah, I think that's pretty much what they did. What was posted was production art, basically stuff that's intended to be used as reference, and sometimes it's super clean and neat, and sometimes it's not.

I wish we had a super slick images to post with all the joes looking cool and posed, but the first season is 26 episodes long, and all those joes aren't going to design themselves :) Hopefully, we'll be able to show something slicker very soon.

kennywr22
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your time and info Clem. Look foward to seeing more. Keep up with your awesome work.

Master Thespian
08-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I've gotten numerous emails about this, and yeah, I think that's pretty much what they did. What was posted was production art, basically stuff that's intended to be used as reference, and sometimes it's super clean and neat, and sometimes it's not.

I wish we had a super slick images to post with all the joes looking cool and posed, but the first season is 26 episodes long, and all those joes aren't going to design themselves :) Hopefully, we'll be able to show something slicker very soon.
As in, there are a lot of them? Does the NDA cover you letting slip roughly how many Joes you've worked on? ;)

Immortal_Joker
08-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Why spoil it? just wait till the show begins to see how many characters will make their presence known.

Trooper13
08-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Is it October, yet? My oldest and I are psyched for the new toon.

kennywr22
08-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I hear ya trooper13 we are waiting to see it too.I'm wondering, the network goes live 10/10/10 but when does gi joe premiere?

Trooper13
08-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I hear ya trooper13 we are waiting to see it too.I'm wondering, the network goes live 10/10/10 but when does gi joe premiere?

That's a good question.

Master Thespian
08-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Why spoil it? just wait till the show begins to see how many characters will make their presence known.
Okay, Dad.

TheVileOne
08-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I think we need to start seeing more footage already.

Think about it. Disney XD is premiering Avengers in the same month. We are already seeing trailers and new clips for the Avengers series. Disney XD is showing new TV spots. There's literally nothing out there for Renegades besides this one little clip and the bootleg stuff on Youtube.

Clem
08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
This is usually when people jokingly go for the cheesy line "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you", but in my case, a more appropriate line would be " I could tell you, but then they would probably kill me".

And as Immortal Joker said, why spoil it. Honestly, if I told you your favourite character was showing up, you'd just watch the show waiting for that moment, and that just creates impossibly high expectations.

As in, there are a lot of them? Does the NDA cover you letting slip roughly how many Joes you've worked on? ;)

Master Thespian
08-23-2010, 01:26 AM
This is usually when people jokingly go for the cheesy line "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you", but in my case, a more appropriate line would be " I could tell you, but then they would probably kill me".

And as Immortal Joker said, why spoil it. Honestly, if I told you your favourite character was showing up, you'd just watch the show waiting for that moment, and that just creates impossibly high expectations.

I wasn't necessarily asking *which* ones you worked on and moreso *how many*. Just to get a feel of how big of a pool to expect. 10 Joes is a world of difference than 30, no? Love the art, by the way. It's sad you have to keep excusing what you've done.

tycondrius
08-23-2010, 01:36 AM
. Honestly, if I told you your favourite character was showing up, you'd just watch the show waiting for that moment, and that just creates impossibly high expectations.

I agree with ya there . mainly cuz you'd have folks getting so excited and then the character has a few seconds screen time and the person biatches and moans for ages ."he got killed off" or "I didn't like the berret on is head "sorta crap

CrimsonGuard101
08-23-2010, 02:14 AM
I agree with ya there . mainly cuz you'd have folks getting so excited and then the character has a few seconds screen time and the person biatches and moans for ages ."he got killed off" or "I didn't like the berret on is head "sorta crap

It's gonna happen, and like everyone says you just have to deal with it, it is what it is.

They do need to really really get the advertisements going on this and need to start showing off the merchandise. I am ansy to see if I can take an 8 year hiatus or not on The Joe Clone Wars era...I got vintage Transformers to collect, especially the Masterpiece ones if I need ot start shifting funds from POC Joes to that not to mention tons of new awesome sideshow stuff...lol.

TheVileOne
08-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Hasbro's approach is somewhat puzzling.

With the Clone Wars there was a massive push before the premiere. Not to mention they had the Clone Wars movie released theatrically.

There's barely been anything out there for Renegades and Prime. Keep in mind the shows are set to premiere in less than 2 months. And there's barely anything out there right now.

CrimsonGuard101
08-23-2010, 02:28 AM

With the Clone Wars there was a massive push before the premiere. Not to mention they had the Clone Wars movie released theatrically.

There's barely been anything out there for Renegades and Prime. Keep in mind the shows are set to premiere in less than 2 months. And there's barely anything out there right now.

Yeah I don't like that...we saw how well that did for ROC...it makes me wonder why they are hidding it under wraps so much...you'd think they would want to flaunt it...if it was all that

TheVileOne
08-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Well Hasbro is also producing this series. With Clone Wars you had the Lucasfilm and Time Warner machines behind it.

I guess promoting an animated show and network themselves is something Hasbro is having trouble with. They are just launching The Hub and there's barely any promotion for that now either.

Time to start getting the word out is NOW. The booth and all the activities at Comic Con were a good start, but that's still basically a small niche of people. They need to start reaching out and doing some massive ad campaigning.

jllewis80
08-29-2010, 12:04 AM
wow did not realize clem had joined us here!?!
I loved your work on infantry by the way.
Also your work on Army of Two forty days was fantastic.

mattymatt
08-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Im excited for the debeut.
Clem are you going to be doing the card art for the new figs or can you not say...? either way thanks for taking the time to respond to all us fanboys and girls

Zefram
08-29-2010, 12:14 AM

Yeah I don't like that...we saw how well that did for ROC...it makes me wonder why they are hidding it under wraps so much...you'd think they would want to flaunt it...if it was all that

Clone Wars was premiering on a network that had already been on the air, so it was easy to promote it. Is Hasbro supposed to promote it on a channel that doesn't exist yet?

BTW, good looks on answering questions, Clem. Saw your stuff on Deviantart and it looks good. Can't wait to see your stuff in action.

TheVileOne
08-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Hasbro is supposed to promote it period regardless of whether Hub hasn't started yet.

Hasbro does have a channel that will become the Hub. They can premiere it there.

Viacom and Paramount promoted new Spike TV shows on TNN before it became Spike TV.

Zefram
08-29-2010, 04:01 AM
Hasbro is supposed to promote it period regardless of whether Hub hasn't started yet.

Hasbro does have a channel that will become the Hub. They can premiere it there.

Viacom and Paramount promoted new Spike TV shows on TNN before it became Spike TV.

Really? You mean like this Discovery Kids Hub TV commercial I found in two seconds with a Youtube search?

YouTube - Hasbro's HUB TV Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9QPN5BP70I&feature=related)

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Reactions/1281520083294.png

Troynos
08-29-2010, 10:11 AM

The problem is that the target audience for The Hub isn't necessarily the same as that which is watching Discovery Kids right now.

So where would they advertise it? Like Zef said, there are commercials on Discovery Kids.

But Cartoon Network and Disney, the two biggest places to advertise to get the hugest push, wouldn't want to advertise a competitors product.

ChaplainAsst
08-29-2010, 10:33 AM
The beauty of a weekly cartoon is that the shows will re-run for a long time initially (until you have a few seasons under your belt and then it is a little longer before you see them again). I sort of doubt that all the new shows will premier on launch day. A lot of networks play older shows to get their feet under them and promote the new shows and the new network before launching them. Who knows, maybe Hasbro will do the same thing.

Troynos
08-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Also, the Renegades toys aren't going to be out to at least mid-2011.

I really don't think Hasbro (or anyone should be, but I know that people here will be..) really expects Renegades (or any of the new HUB shows) to go off like gangbusters on launch day. I think, and this is just my interpretation of the schedule as we know it) that Season 1 will air this fall. It will get repeated in the Spring, just in time for the launch of the toys and then followed by Season 2 in the Fall of 2011.

I think Hasbro will use the Fall of 2010 to the Spring of 2011 as the marketing time for the Hub. Get the shows on there, generate some press, some word of mouth, tinker with the format and then they all get the big push in Spring 2011.

I know people here will be all up in arms if Renegades on launch day doesn't have big numbers. It'll be a failure, it'll suck, etc.. etc..

But really, the time to really be concerned about will be in Spring 2011 when Season 1 repeats and Hasbro has had a chance to market the hell out of the Hub, Renegades and have the toys to tie-in.

Trooper13
08-29-2010, 11:05 AM

I really don't think Hasbro (or anyone should be, but I know that people here will be..) really expects Renegades (or any of the new HUB shows) to go off like gangbusters on launch day. I think, and this is just my interpretation of the schedule as we know it) that Season 1 will air this fall. It will get repeated in the Spring, just in time for the launch of the toys and then followed by Season 2 in the Fall of 2011.

I think Hasbro will use the Fall of 2010 to the Spring of 2011 as the marketing time for the Hub. Get the shows on there, generate some press, some word of mouth, tinker with the format and then they all get the big push in Spring 2011.

I know people here will be all up in arms if Renegades on launch day doesn't have big numbers. It'll be a failure, it'll suck, etc.. etc..

But really, the time to really be concerned about will be in Spring 2011 when Season 1 repeats and Hasbro has had a chance to market the hell out of the Hub, Renegades and have the toys to tie-in.

Obviously the lack of a big outlet for advertising will hurt the Hub initially, but once one kid in a school sees it and likes it, it won't take long to spread. Also, where they need to advertise is in movie theatres. It's alot of money, but if they can pony up for a spot in one of the kids movies this fall. I think everything will be fine.

Troynos
08-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Obviously the lack of a big outlet for advertising will hurt the Hub initially, but once one kid in a school sees it and likes it, it won't take long to spread.

Exactly. I doubt Hasbro is expecting to make a big splash on 10/10/10. It'll be a slow start up, and would look for mid-year 2011 to really make the big hit.

TheVileOne
08-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Really? You mean like this Discovery Kids Hub TV commercial I found in two seconds with a Youtube search?

YouTube - Hasbro's HUB TV Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9QPN5BP70I&feature=related)

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Reactions/1281520083294.png

This is one tiny commercial with absolutely no promotion for GI JOE: RENEGADES in it.

No I mean more like when TNN had actual commercials and TV spots for new shows that were debuting on the channel ALONG with the change to Spike TV. So you got it wrong again.

The problem is that the target audience for The Hub isn't necessarily the same as that which is watching Discovery Kids right now.

So where would they advertise it? Like Zef said, there are commercials on Discovery Kids.

But Cartoon Network and Disney, the two biggest places to advertise to get the hugest push, wouldn't want to advertise a competitors product.

1. Irrelevant.

2. Discovery Kids isn't the only outlet for marketing either.

3. There are no commercials for Renegades on D-Kids right now.

dj7000
08-30-2010, 11:48 AM

It's a smart strategy, but also a lazy one, imo.

Troynos
08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
How is it irrelevant? If you're advertising, you're trying to hit your target market. If the current D-Kids isn't the target market, any advertising for specific shows would be just throwing money away.

Outlets for marketing that would make sense: cartoon network, Disney XD, Fox, Nickeleodean.

Can you really see any of them allowing commercials for a competitor?

So where would this marketing go?

Troynos
08-30-2010, 11:52 AM
It's a smart strategy, but also a lazy one, imo.

Why lazy? It's not aggressive. It's safe.

The launch of a new channel is very risky. Slow and steady wins the race.

The most successful ones are the ones that build themselves up, not come flying out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

dj7000
08-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Why lazy? It's not aggressive. It's safe.

The launch of a new channel is very risky. Slow and steady wins the race.

The most successful ones are the ones that build themselves up, not come flying out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

How exactly are people outside of hisstank gonna even know there's a new Joe toon? Where's the advertisement for the actual network? On the Joe package? That's it? Nothing wrong with playing it safe but doing something safely is different then doing little to nothing at all.

Troynos
08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure ALOT more people outside of the 'Tank know about the Hub, and ALOT more people outside toy forums that are connected with Hasbro.

There's been press releases to all the relevant parties (news, entertainment, etc..), there's probably print ads that we don't know about, there was the stuff done at the different conventions.

Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

When it's closer to launch time I'm sure there will be a bigger push. TV Guide, EW, etc..

There isn't much point in doing the full blitz early, people can tend to forget and stop caring.

TheVileOne
08-30-2010, 04:41 PM
There's press releases elsewhere about the Hub but there is virtually nothing out there right now for Renegades. We only know as much as we do because we are on a GI JOE forum.

How is it irrelevant? If you're advertising, you're trying to hit your target market. If the current D-Kids isn't the target market, any advertising for specific shows would be just throwing money away.

Outlets for marketing that would make sense: cartoon network, Disney XD, Fox, Nickeleodean.

So where would this marketing go?

I honestly don't see what's preventing from any sort of marketing on those channels. I don't see what the rule is.

Discovery Kids at the end of the day is still a kids channel and that's whose place is being taken by the Hub. I don't know what their ratings or demographics are but I honestly don't see how the demos could be that far off from the Hub unless D-Kids skews a lot younger. I imagine the demo they want to hit for Prime and Renegades is ages 4-14, male. Now does D-Kids not hit any of those demos?

Xenos
08-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I honestly don't see what's preventing from any sort of marketing on those channels. I don't see what the rule is.

no rule, it just wouldn't make much sense for Nick or Disney to let a competator advertise on their station.

VideoViper
08-30-2010, 05:01 PM

As a former Viacom employee, (No I will not get you a internship/job at MTV or help you meet your favorite celebraty of the week, since that always the first question people ask) I will verify that they have no problem selling advertising space to a competitor, (Probably higher rates) this brings in money that will help hide their incompetence in other areas.

ChaplainAsst
08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
This is one tiny commercial with absolutely no promotion for GI JOE in it.

That comment is ABSOLUTELY not true - both transformers and GI Joe are shown in the ad. An accurate statement is that there is nothing about Renegades in the commercial. But, GI Joe is mentioned - roughly just as much as My Little Pony :)

TheVileOne
08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
You are right. I meant to say GI JOE: Renegades.

But all we see is a brief logo shot for GI JOE and TRANSFORMERS.

That's virtually nothing.

Sailor_Joe
08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
First, I'd like to say thanks to Clem for coming on and interacting with us. Alot of us may sound like punchy-know-it-alls but our hearts are in the right place.

As for the Hub advertising. Well, there's no solid parallel for them to do it. Other companies like Fox Networks, Time-Warner, and the likes all have sister stations to advertise. And while the Hub is taking over Discovery Kids, it's not owned by Discovery Networks. So why would they consider wasting precious airtime to market somebody else's network?

The other option would have been to go online viral with it. But when you think about it, they've already done this. With the Hub display at SDCC and what little bit has been released, it has reached viral proportions. As it was mentioned earlier by another, even their kids are excited about the leaked snippet that's online.

TheVileOne
08-31-2010, 04:33 AM
As for the Hub advertising. Well, there's no solid parallel for them to do it. Other companies like Fox Networks, Time-Warner, and the likes all have sister stations to advertise. And while the Hub is taking over Discovery Kids, it's not owned by Discovery Networks. So why would they consider wasting precious airtime to market somebody else's network?

Is it not a partnership with Hasbro and Discovery Channel?

The advertising solution is simple. Buy ad time on other stations. There's no rule against it and it's a reality whether you are willing to admit it or not.

The other option would have been to go online viral with it. But when you think about it, they've already done this. With the Hub display at SDCC and what little bit has been released, it has reached viral proportions. As it was mentioned earlier by another, even their kids are excited about the leaked snippet that's online.

This is a fine approach to take several months ago. But now we are less than 2 months to the debut.

In a few weeks Disney XD is going to be running micro-shorts for the new Avengers cartoon before the big Avengers premiere. There are trailers, TV spots, and ads all over the place for Avengers.

For GI JOE: Renegades there is virtually nothing. And Avengers is set to premiere AFTER Renegades. This is not good marketing promotion and advertising.

dj7000
08-31-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure ALOT more people outside of the 'Tank know about the Hub, and ALOT more people outside toy forums that are connected with Hasbro.

There's been press releases to all the relevant parties (news, entertainment, etc..), there's probably print ads that we don't know about, there was the stuff done at the different conventions.

Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

When it's closer to launch time I'm sure there will be a bigger push. TV Guide, EW, etc..

There isn't much point in doing the full blitz early, people can tend to forget and stop caring.

It's honorable of you to give hasbro the benefit of the doubt but let's just be straight up. they're dragging their asses on this one. I just got my comcast bill the other day and there was NO mention of THE HUB or any kinda change over. And you say there are probably print ads out there that we dont know about, well, shouldn't we, the fans be amongst the first ones to at least know about their existence? And my issue is not with your opinion, but rather Hasbros poor attempt to adequately market. And I agree, a full blitz probably isnt the smartest thing to do, but maybe a new trailers every two weeks, or a Renegades website/games, etc?

The strategy is two fold... the lack of info is building the anticipation somewhat, but it's also making people not care. If Hasbro doesnt seem to care, then why should I?

Troynos
08-31-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm not worried or concerned, cause chances are that a multi-million dollar company like Hasbro knows more about what they are doing and how they are doing it then a bunch of people on an internet forum.

I'm pretty sure they aren't just throwing darts at the board, but have done their research, have talked with experts, have hired marketing people to handle all this, etc...

Hasbro is not (contrary to internet nerd rage) a dumb company.

Zefram
08-31-2010, 01:11 PM

The advertising solution is simple. Buy ad time on other stations. There's no rule against it and it's a reality whether you are willing to admit it or not.

Even if this were true the other Discovery networks aren't the same demographic. Why would the advertise a channel specifically aimed at 8-10yr olds on the Science Channel?

In a few weeks Disney XD is going to be running micro-shorts for the new Avengers cartoon before the big Avengers premiere. There are trailers, TV spots, and ads all over the place for Avengers.

For GI JOE: Renegades there is virtually nothing. And Avengers is set to premiere AFTER Renegades. This is not good marketing promotion and advertising.

You keep making the same argument and it's no more relevant now than it was then. Disney XD can advertise the hell out of a new show because Disney XD is an existing channel. It already has an established audience, it has established sponsors, and it has the financial backing of a company 20times larger than Hasbro.

This isn't even apples and oranges, it's apples and frozen concentrate orange juice.

I'm not worried or concerned, cause chances are that a multi-million dollar company like Hasbro knows more about what they are doing and how they are doing it then a bunch of people on an internet forum.

QFT

CV2.0
08-31-2010, 01:14 PM
I can't wait for Renegades!

It looks awesome!

Yo Joe!

kennywr22
08-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Too find it a little odd in the lack of advertising. But it is a big company so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Its not just gi joe that is being in advertised I mean they have shown even less of transformers prime and that is strange.

Xenos
08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm guessing that since this is Hasbro's first real forray into TV that they are planning a soft launch. they jsut want ot get it out there and keep the exsisting Discovery Kids audience. After it's been up and running for a while they'll see how it's doing and wether or not they should dump a bunch of money into trying to gain new audiences, or if their brand names pull in enough people just by word of mouth.

Troynos
08-31-2010, 01:48 PM
i'm guessing that since this is hasbro's first real forray into tv that they are planning a soft launch. They jsut want ot get it out there and keep the exsisting discovery kids audience. After it's been up and running for a while they'll see how it's doing and wether or not they should dump a bunch of money into trying to gain new audiences, or if their brand names pull in enough people just by word of mouth.

ding ding ding!! We have a winnah!!

:)

CrimsonGuard101
08-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Well with the junk they have given us to talk about, look what its done on the boards. I can not fathom the PR decision to show Doug Duke and the Scinece Kids and those other horrid concept art images if that is not what its going to look like. If thier intent is to fragment us further and pull it totally away from the collecting fans, then they did a fabulous job of that.

It's just like with everything else, Hasbro DOES not advertise anything Joe well at all. Ever since they took over Star Wars, Joe and Transformers alike took a back seat to that, why it's a bad thing to have a monopoly over all the best toy lines.... How would anyone know about POC if they were not on the internet? If it wasn't for Hisstank/Toyark updates Iw ould never know about any of this stuff ever. Of all the TV I get to watch and the times I get to watch I never see any commercials about anything Joe related even on Cartoon network. And to say they don't have sister stations and what not is just a copout excuse for Hasbro, they are after all like someone pointed out a million/billion dollar company, some decent media marketing would not even touch thier coffers. Many companies as big or smaller then Hasbro spend billions on all forms of media advertisment...it's just part of the buisness. Hasbro just chooses not too, whether that is smart or not I do not know, but as far as TRU, Target and Walmart? They can't do any advertisements what so ever to sell these toys they so demand from Hasbro? I think that is also a huge achilles heal in this as the retailers do not even care to let anyone know about new and upcomming products anymore either..Sure that would cost some money and some contracts to be signed...but they won't even do that either...why? who knows.

I remember the old TRU commericals you always saw kids going nuts with Joe products and the big Christams TRU book...or Sears's Catalogue with all of the new stuff comming out. With the advent of the internet hardly ANY compnay even showcases big things like that anymore. The Hasbrotoyshop should be always teaming with new Joe media info and products "in stock" not "out of stock" but they are not even hasbro to begin with which it should be given the name...again it shows where they put thier priorities to not even own thier internet store front... Even these cheap lazy ass Hasbro Joe websites for POC, ROC and Resolute hardly even got into it nor does GIJOEclub. It's rather pathetic really.

They held back with ROC too, a huge chance for them to showcase a blockbuster hit and build massive fan support but they knew the reaction was going to be worse if they started putting it out there then holding out on it under wraps till the last minute. I suspect the exact same for Renegades as it will probabley fair no better then ROC in that regard given the way they are keeping it under wraps. I am still shocked we have not seen china putting out concept/protypes as of yet...all we have is some really bad concept art...

Sailor_Joe
08-31-2010, 02:17 PM

This is a fine approach to take several months ago. But now we are less than 2 months to the debut.

I believe that it's a complete buyout from Hasbro (I could be incorrect, though). With advertising on other networks, there's usually a relation between them. For example: ABC is partnered with Disney and both are affiliated with ESPN. So it's not uncommon to see cross promotion there. Obviously, Fox Networks has everything from the Fox Soccer Channel to FX to Fox News. Hasbro is the lone wolf in this market right now. Much like when TNN changed hands to Viacom who made what is now Spike TV.

And buying time isn't all that simple. It's very costly and invaluable. Why would somebody like ABC advertise for the HUB when they have a station (ABC Family) that caters to the same market? Why would Disney (whose affiliated with ABC) allow that precious airtime to be dedicated towards something that can take away from their own channels. That, is definitely not good marketing practice.

I'm guessing that since this is Hasbro's first real forray into TV that they are planning a soft launch. they jsut want ot get it out there and keep the exsisting Discovery Kids audience. After it's been up and running for a while they'll see how it's doing and wether or not they should dump a bunch of money into trying to gain new audiences, or if their brand names pull in enough people just by word of mouth.

BINGO!!!

TheVileOne
08-31-2010, 02:27 PM
I believe that it's a complete buyout from Hasbro (I could be incorrect, though). With advertising on other networks, there's usually a relation between them. For example: ABC is partnered with Disney and both are affiliated with ESPN. So it's not uncommon to see cross promotion there. Obviously, Fox Networks has everything from the Fox Soccer Channel to FX to Fox News. Hasbro is the lone wolf in this market right now. Much like when TNN changed hands to Viacom who made what is now Spike TV.

And buying time isn't all that simple. It's very costly and invaluable. Why would somebody like ABC advertise for the HUB when they have a station (ABC Family) that caters to the same market? Why would Disney (whose affiliated with ABC) allow that precious airtime to be dedicated towards something that can take away from their own channels. That, is definitely not good marketing practice.

Because as someone already stated its MONEY. It helps them make up for failures in other areas.

dj7000
08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Well with the junk they have given us to talk about, look what its done on the boards. I can not fathom the PR decision to show Doug Duke and the Scinece Kids and those other horrid concept art images if that is not what its going to look like. If thier intent is to fragment us further and pull it totally away from the collecting fans, then they did a fabulous job of that.

It's just like with everything else, Hasbro DOES not advertise anything Joe well at all. Ever since they took over Star Wars, Joe and Transformers alike took a back seat to that, why it's a bad thing to have a monopoly over all the best toy lines.... How would anyone know about POC if they were not on the internet? If it wasn't for Hisstank/Toyark updates Iw ould never know about any of this stuff ever. Of all the TV I get to watch and the times I get to watch I never see any commercials about anything Joe related even on Cartoon network. And to say they don't have sister stations and what not is just a copout excuse for Hasbro, they are after all like someone pointed out a million/billion dollar company, some decent media marketing would not even touch thier coffers. Many companies as big or smaller then Hasbro spend billions on all forms of media advertisment...it's just part of the buisness. Hasbro just chooses not too, whether that is smart or not I do not know, but as far as TRU, Target and Walmart? They can't do any advertisements what so ever to sell these toys they so demand from Hasbro? I think that is also a huge achilles heal in this as the retailers do not even care to let anyone know about new and upcomming products anymore either..Sure that would cost some money and some contracts to be signed...but they won't even do that either...why? who knows.

I remember the old TRU commericals you always saw kids going nuts with Joe products and the big Christams TRU book...or Sears's Catalogue with all of the new stuff comming out. With the advent of the internet hardly ANY compnay even showcases big things like that anymore. The Hasbrotoyshop should be always teaming with new Joe media info and products "in stock" not "out of stock" but they are not even hasbro to begin with which it should be given the name...again it shows where they put thier priorities to not even own thier internet store front... Even these cheap lazy ass Hasbro Joe websites for POC, ROC and Resolute hardly even got into it nor does GIJOEclub. It's rather pathetic really.

They held back with ROC too, a huge chance for them to showcase a blockbuster hit and build massive fan support but they knew the reaction was going to be worse if they started putting it out there then holding out on it under wraps till the last minute. I suspect the exact same for Renegades as it will probabley fair no better then ROC in that regard given the way they are keeping it under wraps. I am still shocked we have not seen china putting out concept/protypes as of yet...all we have is some really bad concept art...

Well said. While I'm sure Hasbro knows what they are doing, doesnt mean they are doing the right thing. They sorely bypass Joe. Why have a major blockbuster movies only to allow it to die after a few months. That's not the publics fault, that's the lack of follow up by hasbro. Most hardcore SW fans didnt like Ep 1 of Star wars, but it was well marketed, adverstised, hyped, and people eventaully came around. Byt that time Ep 2 comes along. Same thing happened with Clone wars. Poorly received, then people came around, but that's becasue there was legit followup. The movie premeiered then came the tv series and toys. It wasnt just dropped off the face of the earth. That hype is still rolling today.

Troynos
08-31-2010, 05:59 PM
You can't really use Star Wars as an example, as someone else controls that property and Hasbro is along for the ride (and reaping the benefits).

Star Wars is a completely different animal then G.I. Joe anyways.

A better example would be Transformers, which had a widely successfull movie and yet had the same amount of follow-up that Joe seems to be with the exception of more toys because the T-Formers movies did better sales.

Xenos
08-31-2010, 06:14 PM
I believe that it's a complete buyout from Hasbro (I could be incorrect, though).

It's a 50-50 joint venture between Hasbro and Discovery. Apparently they are airing commercials for the Hub on all the Discovery stations. I haven't seen any though, but I also don't watch too much Discovery.

Xenos
08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Apparently, they have been trying to get ads on other networks, but the other networks aren't selling them space.
Discovery and Hasbro's Hub kids' channel gears up for launch | Company Town | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/08/discovery-and-hasbros-hub-kids-channel-gears-up-to-battle-nickelodeon-disney-and-cartoon.html)

Also, they have a $20 million marketing budget. Not sure if that is a lot or not...

Trooper13
08-31-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't think 20 million is alot in terms of entertainment today. Atleast the other Discovery stations are airing the commercials. I'll watch The Military Channel every now and then. That might not be a bad place to air Joe commercials, as some of the viewers might have been Joe fans as kids, and now have kids of their own.

TheVileOne
08-31-2010, 11:20 PM
$20 million sounds pretty good. But it seems like they are barely using it at all.

I doubt the booth at Comic Con could've cost that much to put together though it was a nice booth.

Why are there NO, no commercials, no TV spots, and no trailers available at all for Renegades?

TheVileOne
08-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Here is what the article said:

Interestingly, the Hub is selling advertising time to other kids' channels, but has not been able to buy commercials on its rivals. Loesch said the network will buy local commercials on cable systems carrying Nickelodeon, Cartoon and other kids' channels to promote itself.

Doesn't exactly say why it can't buy commercials on its rivals, but it basically says it will buy local commercials on cable carriers with their rivals. That basically means commercials will show up on the rival channels courtesy of the cable carriers.

However this does not address why we aren't seeing any marketing or promotion out there at all for Renegades which is set to premiere in a few weeks.

CrimsonGuard101
09-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Here is what the article said:

Doesn't exactly say why it can't buy commercials on its rivals, but it basically says it will buy local commercials on cable carriers with their rivals. That basically means commercials will show up on the rival channels courtesy of the cable carriers.

However this does not address why we aren't seeing any marketing or promotion out there at all for Renegades which is set to premiere in a few weeks.

They used that 20 million for something else apprently. They don; wanna give any money to thier competitors lol and they definelty dont wanna do it for the prices they are asking to advertise with thier enemies :)

TheVileOne
09-01-2010, 05:42 AM
I'd be interested to know what since we are seeing hardly anything out there right now. And almost literally nothing for Renegades.