PDA

View Full Version : what was the point of resolute? Should it have gone on?

spacemonkey
08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
RESOLUTE was an awesome update for the Joe verse. People seemed to be very accepting of this line. It struck a balace between the old and new very well. The cartoon was , in my opinion, leaps and bounds better than what I have seen of RENEGADES. It doesn't make any sense why it was cancelled. It seemed like it was turning a profit and they had spent the coin to make the cartoon. So, what was the point? Should it have gone on? Could it have gone on side by side with ROC and POC? This could have been a real money maker for hasbro and completely baffles me.

Troynos
08-03-2010, 09:49 AM
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-resolute-animation-discussion/82461-resolute-given-shaft.html

Already talked about and fairly recently.

Jmacq1
08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
RESOLUTE was an awesome update for the Joe verse. People seemed to be very accepting of this line. It struck a balace between the old and new very well. The cartoon was , in my opinion, leaps and bounds better than what I have seen of RENEGADES. It doesn't make any sense why it was cancelled. It seemed like it was turning a profit and they had spent the coin to make the cartoon. So, what was the point? Should it have gone on? Could it have gone on side by side with ROC and POC? This could have been a real money maker for hasbro and completely baffles me.

It wasn't "cancelled." It aired as it was intended. Resolute was never planned to be an ongoing series. It was a one-off micro series like the Genndy Tartakovsky "Clone Wars" stuff from a few years back (prior to the CGI-animated version we have now). It was an hour-long love letter to the limited adult fanbase and was treated as such (in terms of broadcast time, advertising, etc..). It was also something to get said adult fanbase "excited" about G.I. Joe just prior to the movie.

As a series, Resolute was far too violent and "adult" to be a mainstream media effort for Hasbro. It also could not go on "side by side" with RoC and PoC because retailers wouldn't buy two separate G.I. Joe lines at the time. As far as we know, they still won't.

VideoViper
08-03-2010, 09:57 AM
IMO, Resulute was Habro's way of saying, THIS is GI Joe not the movie that we already know is bad. It was a one shot deal but hopfully the possitive reaction from fans will trickle down into what becomes Renegades.

Jay West
08-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Actually going back to Van Helsing, Riddick, Matrix, and maybe further and including Nolan's Bat movies, Terminator Salvation and probably others - several Holywood "Blockbuster" type movies have had some sort of adult PG-13 ish cartoon. Usually they are in continuity so to speak, but with Joe it was a mix of the "maturity" of ROC but in a RAHish world.

Troynos
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Actually going back to Van Helsing, Riddick, Matrix, and maybe further and including Nolan's Bat movies, Terminator Salvation and probably others - several Holywood "Blockbuster" type movies have had some sort of adult PG-13 ish cartoon. Usually they are in continuity so to speak, but with Joe it was a mix of the "maturity" of ROC but in a RAHish world.

And those have been limited availability. Either direct to DVD or included with the DVD.

None of them have been a "primetime" (for cartoons) series.

So they're the same thing Resolute was. A speciality item.

Troynos
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm quoting Steel Brigade from that linked thread since, really, after his post, the matter should be settled:

You need to understand the point of Resolute before you make the presumptions about it purpose, cancellation, & product.
Hasbro entered an agreement in 2008 of a new plan to create fan-geared/more adult animation for their mature audience.
They decided that this would span for 5 years.
There 1st choice as a property was GI Joe... seeing that the property had a strong adult base with it's 25th line. If the film was successful, they would make more animations over the 5 year plan just for fans even if it wasn't their most profitable venture.
At 1st Resolute was going to be tied closer to the ROC film in feel, characters, design etc. They decided to scrap that idea & make Resolute it's own thing (or more of a continuation of ARAH). After the hiring of the writer (Ellis) & animation team (Avatar), the animation ended up going slower than expected & did not meet deadline even though the toys were on schedule. After some back & forth CN decided to pick it up for online & a special broadcast. By this point, Hasbro had already made negotiations for the HUB network, because of this all of their media plans changed, which included their agreement with CN on the successful Transformers Animated series & other projects like Resolute. Ultimately Hasbro sees Resolute as a great "one time" venture that both they & fans are pleased with, but the acquistion of The Hub changed everything as they are able to reach a much wider audience & not have to follow what stations (like CN) tell them about how or when it will air. In the end retailers cancelled the Resolute figures because they were ready for ROC & didn't want the 25th stock (waves 14 & up) sitting around with how much glut they had already, & used the months before ROC to sell thru preexisting product...while the currently planned Reso (& more) figures got cancelled. Hasbro saw a way to reformat them & get them to fans, yes it was a year later & online but in all seriousness with raw materials & options, this was probably the soonest they could get it to us. The molds were made & even though they could have reacllocated all of them for future product, they still gave us the Resolute product that fans wanted for no other reason but because of fan demand. With how short a venture Reso was, we were lucky to get the Resolute cartoon, & product (especially the new tooling in the 7-packs) because by all respects Hasbro has moved on from Resolute, & is now looking at the "Big Picture." So depite QC issues & a late arrival, we could have basically got nothing at all, as the odds were severly stacked against Resolure fans, & these 7-packs are as much a final love letter as the animation itself.

gunslingercbr
08-03-2010, 10:20 AM
it was a one hour special, that was the point. and how was it turning a profit? it had three figures that only appeared in a briefly released wave of figures that ended up in Marshall's and Family Dollar a year later, and a box set that was clearanced mere months after its release.

the only thing that doesn't make sense is your strange perception of what Resolute was and how well it did in a market where it was practically non-existent.

Jay West
08-03-2010, 10:22 AM
And those have been limited availability. Either direct to DVD or included with the DVD.

None of them have been a "primetime" (for cartoons) series.

So they're the same thing Resolute was. A speciality item.

Yep. Don't know if the behind the scene stuff matches up in every scenerio - probably doesn't - but for the most part all their DVD movies came out a bit before or around movie time. So from an average consumer (ie not die hards like us) and a retailer standpoint they are all the same thing - a speciality item.

spacemonkey
08-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks Troynos, Steel Brigade's answer was what I was looking for. Makes sense. Just a shame though. Sorry for the double thread.

Captain STEVEN DePACE
08-07-2010, 07:53 PM
The best thing about Resolute was the characterization!

(That's a joke. There wasn't any!)

blackrazor1
08-07-2010, 09:14 PM
It didn't need to be on going. but it would have nice it had a two hour running time. They could have cut the SS/SE origin and brought in more of the other characters shown on the team or made the final battle more epic. I think the target audience has the attention span to handle a longer running time.

flash70
08-07-2010, 11:28 PM
G.I.*JOE resolute should have been a regular joe cartoon...it would have been GLORIOUS!!!

EduardimusPrime
08-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I always felt like Resolute was an apology from Hasbro for Rise of Cobra. Kinda hoped it would have been an ongoing series, but oh well. We still have Renegades.

Barefoot Jedi
08-08-2010, 12:03 AM
I always felt like Resolute was an apology from Hasbro for Rise of Cobra. Kinda hoped it would have been an ongoing series, but oh well. We still have Renegades.

HAHAHA!!!! Maybe so, maybe so...

I think of Resolute as a sort of sequel to Sunbow.

It's too bad ROC f*cked everything up, interrupted and undid the Modern line, undid Resolute, but oh, well...there are worse things in life.

Like Jersey Shore.

Sailor_Joe
08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
G.I.*JOE resolute should have been a regular joe cartoon...it would have been GLORIOUS!!!

Keep in mind, too. That while all things lead to Resolute being a on-off. That's not to say that it's completely off the board. Somebody asked about Resolute at SDCC and the panel basically said that with the Hub Network, they'll have free reign on programming.

Now, I don't know about you. But how many 10 year olds are up at midnight watching cartoons? You're going to need some kind of programming. A Resolute type program could easily find a place here. Again, there was nothing said by Hasbro saying that this is even on the board. But when asked, they said that "they were open to new ideas."

CV2.0
08-08-2010, 05:22 PM
The point was to entertain.

TheVileOne
08-15-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm still disappointed we didn't get more Resolute toys.

Baron Samedi
08-15-2010, 02:53 AM
From what I understand, what we saw of Resolute was barely scratching the surface of the groundwork that had been laid. As you can see through the whole thing, there are missing pieces and unanswered questions.

I believe that Ellis and the creative team had more, much more. Unfortunately, because of the whole RoC thing, it got shitcanned.

Maybe one day they'll add to it. I don't know. It was successful with a select fanbase, but things like this have also bloomed years later.

TheVileOne
08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Sure there are loose threads but tons of animation has that and never gets to continue either.

Zefram
08-17-2010, 02:19 PM
From what I understand, what we saw of Resolute was barely scratching the surface of the groundwork that had been laid. As you can see through the whole thing, there are missing pieces and unanswered questions.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Reactions/samuel_l-11581.jpg

boomer77
08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
There is plenty of story left to be told with Resolute.
Cobra Commander is alive and well.
I look for a sequel.

WinterWarrior83
08-19-2010, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't put it past them to do another mini series in this vain a year or so down the line. Just cause we aren't hearing about it doesn't mean it's not happening. If it doesn't though well I love what we have and watch it regularly.