PDA

View Full Version : So.. Apparently LEGO appreciates in value....

wheeljaxx
08-02-2010, 02:30 AM
.. Alot more than i had imagined.
Just took a gander on E-bay to see what a few sets i still have MIB would go for, and my jaw dropped. One set i have goes for +$200, and a few others are over $100. now, you'd expect these to be some BIG sets, bit these were like, $25 sets when i got them.

Lego seems to be a bigger collector market than i imagined, i thought it was just people liked to build things, not for "RARE COLORS" or "RARE ELEMENTS"
There's like, a whole new subculture of collectors out there i never knew. I just thought they were cool sets, not that they have anything rare about them. My Lego Adventure Blimp is one of the coolest pieces i own, and it apparently quite rare.

i was going to sell some of these sets regardless, to clear room ( i have about 500 pounds of lego) but never imagined that much.

Anyone here collect just for the rare parts, or are most people like me, and go for the coolness factor first?

Jeffrozup
08-02-2010, 02:33 AM
You are not kidding about them appreciating in value. The Lego Batman sets that were on shelves about a year or so ago have gone sky high since they were "retired".

I have a bunch of legos from my kid days and I have been wondering about the best way to sell them also.

donmagic
08-02-2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah I have a bricklink store. It's a site that allows you to sell piece by piece or full sets. I've made money buying large lots and rebuilding the sets and completing them by finding the missing pieces. There are collectors who will literally buy htf sets store them a couple years and resell at a profit.

Gundamben831
08-02-2010, 02:54 AM
you have no idea how many lego nuts there are out there. I still have soooo many sets from being a child and I was super neurotic about keeping the boxes and instructions, my mom used to always give me shit about saving them and now who's laughing I've seen some of the space train sets go for $500 plus and not to mention some of the castle sets goin for $300 plus its just nuts. Kinda makes you scratch your head and think lego's or joes lol

Nirvana
08-02-2010, 03:07 AM
I've seen some of the space train sets go for $500 plus

Wow, I still have my giant space train set, too.

RSwarick
08-02-2010, 03:21 AM
I collect LEGO for the pieces. Most of the sets I break down for the pieces. I do like the classic space sets that I kept from my childhood. I spent a lot of money on Bricklink to make this: Space Needle: A LEGOŽ creation by Ryan Swarick : MOCpages.com (http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/22787)

I sold off most of my other collections, except Joe, to focus on LEGO.

Hicks_Royel
08-02-2010, 03:42 AM
The big thing about lego sets is that old assembly instructions get lost or thrown out. Then time passes and a castle gets cannibalized for a space police cruiser. In the end, most of us wind up with a few 30 gallon tubs of bricks. Being able to sell a complete kit makes for a rare find. Or so goes my theory.

wheeljaxx
08-02-2010, 04:07 AM
i have one of the first castles, not the old yellow one, but the larger bad guy castle with the black ravens on the shield. also had the smaller wall additions, blacksmith and an armoury, i loved castle lego. i till have all the instructions, and even parts of my castle are still built. all in the big bin, but they are stull in there, put together

whiteknight
08-02-2010, 04:51 AM
I've always dreamed of having a Lego castle when I was a kid. Still do. Friend of mine got into the whole craze again and showed me all the cool stuff you can build with Legos. Since then, I've had my eye on a Lego Castle King's Castle Siege set (the one with the goblins and the dragon) that was discontinued in 2007. It now sells at $160 minimum from its original SRP of $99. I might get me some minifigs to use as customizable minis for tabletop RPGs.

zedhatch
08-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Lego is the company that suggested that thier numbers of sales were primarly adult collectors.

Also there are many Lego based webcomics out there (Tons more than joes or any action figures) and they are growing vastly.

Lego is huge.

Mandingo Rex
08-02-2010, 05:23 AM
i have one of the first castles, not the old yellow one, but the larger bad guy castle with the black ravens on the shield. also had the smaller wall additions, blacksmith and an armoury, i loved castle lego. i till have all the instructions, and even parts of my castle are still built. all in the big bin, but they are stull in there, put together

I had an old castle from the 80's... From the Interwebs it looks like it was the King's Castle or something... I had a dragon, a few horses. It was built until maybe 10 years back, and my parents probably disassembled it.

LEGO is perhaps the best toy ever made. I had a ton as a child and loved them.

They're actually a client of ours, and at one point we had probably 5-6 giant boxes of LEGOS sitting in the corner. Those things are way heavier in bulk than you'd think!

Das Tier
08-02-2010, 06:02 AM
I too loved legos as a kid, and still fine them quite fun to mess with. I think like most people I mostly would build things from my own imagination. I still have most of my legos including some complete sets. I never kept the boxes, but I still have most of the instructions for my complete sets. When I was a kid my mom used to buy Joes and Legos mainly from yard sales for me if she was out and about and found some. One time she came home with a huge box of legos, that she got cheap. I think about buying some of the cool sets when I see them. I really loved the Viking and Castle sets from the last few years. But my money goes to joe and comic books, so I have to draw the line somewhere.

samantha
08-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Lego's have been a hot collectible for a very long time.

Zefram
08-02-2010, 06:43 AM
And I thought Mecano fans were nuts. O_o

Mercenary696
08-02-2010, 07:05 AM
I've always dreamed of having a Lego castle when I was a kid. Still do. Friend of mine got into the whole craze again and showed me all the cool stuff you can build with Legos. Since then, I've had my eye on a Lego Castle King's Castle Siege set (the one with the goblins and the dragon) that was discontinued in 2007. It now sells at $160 minimum from its original SRP of $99. I might get me some minifigs to use as customizable minis for tabletop RPGs.

You should check out the new Kingdoms series. The Castle for that series is one of the best to date.

LEGO Kingdoms King's Castle (7946) - LEGO - Toys "R" Us (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4004267)

The troop builders are pretty cool too.

Knights Battle Pack | Kingdoms | LEGO Shop (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=852921&cn=640&d=70)

Dragon Battle Pack | Kingdoms | LEGO Shop (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=852922&cn=640&d=70)

crock master
08-02-2010, 08:49 AM
they colsed down our skatepark to build a lego land. what a bunch of crap

dgnr82
08-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I still have all my legos from when I was a kid, as well as some MIB sets from the 60's

Joseph
08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
( i have about 500 pounds of lego)

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

GhostGL
08-02-2010, 09:54 AM
I had the old King's Castle too. It was my biggest Lego set. I still got some of the castle walls around, i gave some of my Lego to my one niece. Think she not too long after that gave em away.

GhostGL
08-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Pictures, or it didn't happen.

And not just a few Lego with a sign that says 500 pounds.

Uberlad
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I still have all my legos from when I was a kid, as well as some MIB sets from the 60's

How long have legos been around??

Jacklefttown
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Several years back I was in a financial crisis and had to let some stuff go to make ends meet (kinda like now). I hated to do it, but I sold several Lego Star Wars Sets on eBay. The first to go was the older Millenium Falcon set. I paid $100 for it about 2 years prior. The darn thing sold for almost $400 on eBay! And it had been taken out and assembled, it was not MISB.

Lego nuts are everywhere, I should know, I was one, but only for the Star Wars and Medieval sets.

Like an earlier poster said... if you have extra money, buy a few of the larger sets (Star Wars is best), sit on them for 2 to 3 years and they will go for 3 or 4 times what you paid.

Jacklefttown
08-02-2010, 10:17 AM
And, oh yeah... I won't go into how much the old style Playmobil castles are worth now... And I have 6 of them! But they would be the LAST things I ever sell!

hectorxd
08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah I got in to legos at the start of this year and have quickly found I can make my money back on this stuff and grow a collection. Its a shame that GI joes are like cars, the second you open that package it goes down in value and keeps going down. Not so with Lego. Im sitting on a few sets that I recently got and will wait to sell them as mentioned.

wheeljaxx
08-02-2010, 11:01 AM
i was thinking of getting another level crossing or two for my eventual train lay out. Seeing at what the older ones went for, the train system sets seem to appreciate more than the other sets.

Brcall
08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
My brother is a HUGE Lego fan. He has a big Lego Castle he built himself in their spare bedroom.

Cdt Weasel
08-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I haven't ever understood why the sets go for so much. All you need are the instructions, and you can then build a set from scratch yourself for far less. I can understand the MIB types wanting a compelte set. Though lego mib type guys are harder for me to understand than other boxed toy collectors.

Brcall
08-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I haven't ever understood why the sets go for so much. All you need are the instructions, and you can then build a set from scratch yourself for far less. I can understand the MIB types wanting a compelte set. Though lego mib type guys are harder for me to understand than other boxed toy collectors.

Some of the sets have one or two specialized pieces, but for the most part I agree. The instructions are also available for free on the Lego website in pdf format.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm not suprised building blocks are a simple and brilliant item. It really never goes out of style, and the best part about Lego is even if you get tire of the set the way it is, take it apart, and build something new, or mix it with another set and build something else new.

Your imagination is the limit with Lego.

I have two MASSIVE tote (truly I could bury two 12 year olds in them if I was a psychopath) and wish I had more.

My biggest complaint with Lego is retail price...that sheets expensive. Its the one and ONLY reason I have not bought a Lego set in like a decade plus.

MeLikeJinx
08-02-2010, 08:54 PM
The problem for me with Lego is I like to just break everything apart... mix all the pieces from various sets... and then build my own thing. But once you do that, so hard to find all the pieces again to rebuild the original thing if you ever feel like doing so and resale value falls to zero. LOL.

And, oh yeah... I won't go into how much the old style Playmobil castles are worth now... And I have 6 of them! But they would be the LAST things I ever sell!
*whispers* I think Playmobil stuff pwns Lego. LOL. Always wanted the giant Playmobil Pirate ship.

evopete
08-02-2010, 09:01 PM
had the airport set from the early 90s... and a Race Car Track Set.... LOVED it but my sisters jacked it all up....I threw most of the pieces out... Dang if I only knew...

NeilJam
08-02-2010, 10:43 PM
What? You NEVER throw away Lego, if nothing else gather them up in a bag and give them to a kid in your neighborhood.

My Lego collection is the only toy collection I kept from childhood, and I would never sell it, with the possible exception of some Star Wars sets if I really need the money.

And to answer Uberlad's question, the Lego brick design was patented in 1958, and the first ones would still work with bricks made today.

wheeljaxx
08-02-2010, 11:10 PM
i've still got ORIGINAL lego people parts. not Minifigs, but people made of lego. Big yellow heads, multi-jointed arms, wigs. i wonder if they are worth anything

MeLikeJinx
08-03-2010, 12:16 AM
What? You NEVER throw away Lego, if nothing else gather them up in a bag and give them to a kid in your neighborhood...
One time when I was little I left my Legos in the back of the car by the rear windshield part and I think the sun got it because after that all the Legos wouldn't even stick together anymore. LOL. I think I threw those ones away...

sg3
08-03-2010, 12:30 AM
wish i didn't have to sell my legos a few years back to pay bills. had 3 huge totes full. been collecting and playing with them since 1975 or so.

TR1ER
08-03-2010, 12:35 AM
God this lego stuff is crazy my son loves it. the kid even does lego customs. I'm always on the hunt for cheap leo stuff but it always top dollar.

ashmodai
08-03-2010, 01:04 AM
i know i have one if not 2 5 gallon buckets in the rafters in my parents garage from my childhood.

Buzzetta
08-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Just sold Jango Fett's Slave 1 - Loose but complete for $174.99 over eBay. I have been weeding through a lot of things I no longer want.

I have been receiving some great prices for the SW Lego Sets and even town sets that do not fit into my future plans like the modular houses do.

Hicks_Royel
08-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Just sold Jango Fett's Slave 1 - Loose but complete for $174.99 over eBay. I have been weeding through a lot of things I no longer want.

I have been receiving some great prices for the SW Lego Sets and even town sets that do not fit into my future plans like the modular houses do.
I remember buying two of those at Target for 30 bucks total... man, should've bought more.
they closed down our skatepark to build a lego land. what a bunch of crap
That's awesome. I'd kill for a Lego Land in my town.

Buzzetta
08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I remember buying two of those at Target for 30 bucks total... man, should've bought more.

That's awesome. I'd kill for a Lego Land in my town.

About six years ago the Toys R Us in Jamaica Queens (the old one on Hillside Avenue for people that know the area) was scheduled to shut down. I went there and noticed that not only did they have Lego Sets from 1994-1998 still on the shelves but they none of them were showing up in the system.

I brought a few hundred dollars and bought every set that did not show up for $5-20 depending on the size of the set. Manager was happy because I took stuff out of the store and I was happy for obvious reasons.

That trip has paid off tenfold.

I kept numerous things and I have sold numerous things to justify keeping the things I did.

KrymsynGardImmoral
08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I found this market about 8 years ago, and was just as surprised as you. I had found a few older sets from a Discovery Zone store that was going out of business, checked ebay, and made a frigging killing on them. It was hard not to keep them and build them, because I still have all my castle stuff from my childhood, but one castle I had just picked up hit like $350. The full realization came when I saw what star wars legos were doing back then. I got like $300 for a Millenium Falcon I got on clearance at Target for $50. I sold all my Star wars legos after that and never looked back.

I have a friend in delaware that sells lego figures at flae markets, he does really well, getting $8-10 apiece for a lot of Star wars lego figures.

Buzzetta
08-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I found this market about 8 years ago, and was just as surprised as you. I had found a few older sets from a Discovery Zone store that was going out of business, checked ebay, and made a frigging killing on them. It was hard not to keep them and build them, because I still have all my castle stuff from my childhood, but one castle I had just picked up hit like $350. The full realization came when I saw what star wars legos were doing back then. I got like $300 for a Millenium Falcon I got on clearance at Target for $50. I sold all my Star wars legos after that and never looked back.

I have a friend in delaware that sells lego figures at flae markets, he does really well, getting $8-10 apiece for a lot of Star wars lego figures.

Occasionally I get one or two people that complain... They tell me I am scalping or that I am taking advantage... Take a look at my listings. I have a MIB Original 2003 AT-AT. I want $200 for it, which is actually very fair considering the condition of the box, what others are asking and that this is the first of three version of the AT-AT that have been produced.

Collectors are willing to spend the money. If not they can go to Lego Shop at Home and pay $100 for the 2010 version of the AT AT.

Lego insures an aftermarket markup by cycling through sets the way that they do. I too, was surprised by the value given to the Batman sets. They went up after Lego decided not to utilize the license they still have one more year on. Supposedly they felt that the Dark Knight was too dark for their brand and did not want their toys associated with it.

rosales416
08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
i got a star wars lego snow speeder that came out 8 years ago i wonder how much that would go for

katcountrydean
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
i collect... really got back into it again when the starwars stuff came out and i built a lot of the small sets and have them at my office at work.. but i still have a bunch in the box because i ran out of places to put them.. especially the collector edition series... the x-wing, snowspeeder, and tie interceptor are so big and take up an entire shelf i didn't have room to put together the y-wing, at-st, etc.. its killing me not to be able to put the rest up.. i also have the entire line of batman, spongebob and indiana jones MIB cause i have no place to display them

Bildar76
08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I found the Falcon at a garage sale. Complete with minfigs and peices and box for $10. That got me started on my lego hunt. I have managed to find a lot at garage sales and flea markets. The best one I found was the Jabba Sail barge for $50 last summer at a garage sale. The dad was mad at his son because he wanted to open it and play and ripped the box a little. So he told me he was selling to punish his son and he would just go out to the store and get a new one that night. I didn't have the heart to tell him this thing hadn't been in stores for years.

VideoViper
08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Dam! Years ago my sister worked for Lego. (Everybody came out of the woodworks come Christmas time to get discounted Legos.)

I had a complete pirate ship, that I gave away for free when I was moving. (Hope whatever kid got it is enjoying it.)

Stormgard
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
LEGO is my big toy-related passion (I have been building for almost 30 years now). I've always been a builder rather than a collector or reseller.

As a shameless plug, here's my gallery, much of which could be interesting for the G.I.Joe crowd, and a few of the designs have even been inspired by G.I.Joe/Cobra hardware.

magnus_lauglo's collections on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78224984@N00/collections/)

And here's a Flickr group of particular interest...

Flickr: LEGO GI JOE (http://www.flickr.com/groups/lego_gijoe/)

This blog does a good job of keeping up with some of the most exciting new builds in all themes coming out of the AFOL (Adult Fan Of Lego) community every day:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/

There is certainly a collector's market out there - not only can you flip certain old sets for hundreds of dollars, but there are small individual elements that can also go for a lot - some small unique hat or something to put on a minifig's head, that was only produced in a small batch 20 years ago - that can go for over ten dollars. Just for that little hat. Like this, for example.

BrickLink Search Results (http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=72812&colorID=66)

wheeljaxx
09-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Anyone have any old Lego Train sets they want to part with?

VIPER 48
09-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Lego's are one thing in particular that wish i had held on to from my childhood. I used to collect the Knights and Pirate sets. My mom sold them at a garage sale when i was in the Army. Not a big loss in monetary value, but i want to play with them again...:D

Adamantite
09-08-2010, 02:17 AM
My parents still have all of my old sets stored away. The original Blacktron spaceship, the Caribbean Clipper from the first pirate series and other stuff from those years. Haven't seen them in a while but I know they are still there, in their original boxes.

Monk
09-08-2010, 03:20 AM
Love the Legos! I have all my stuff from when I was a kid and I still build today. I will never get rid of them. :)

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs-finished-projects/67463-lego-1985-g-i-joe-uss-flagg.html

Ctrl_Z
09-08-2010, 03:30 AM
It's prolly cuz lego seems to move through there sets like water. always making new ones and they seem to be getting less imaginative with time. That with the short shelf life, awesome licenses. It makes sense to me

oh and i too still have my legos. love 'em. I haven't touched them in a long while tho. But I can't bare to part with them. my imagination may still need an outlet in brick form, one day.