PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe 87 Movie DVD DOESNT WORK!

Gilgamesh51
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I just bought 2 copies of the DVD, one for me, one for a fellow tankers b-day, and they DO NOT PLAY.

I tried on 3 players, and the film will not play from the discs main menu, all it does is stop the player. The only thing that works is the special features.

I don't know if this is true for the Blu version.

Shogi
07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
yeah, you have to go through the special features to select which version (widescreen or fullscreen) of the movie to watch to be able to play the movie

Added this to the review thread but it should help here too:

Well I brought up the Menu issue over at Shout Factory's website and Brian Ward himself was kind enough to figure out what was happening. Here's what he said about it:

Found it. It's an interesting anomaly that we can't seem to figure out the reason for, but we HAVE found the way to avoid it from happening.

The disc, when inserted, will do several things before going to the MAIN menu.

1.) FBI Warning
2.) Logos
3.) Disclaimer
4.) Trailer Package

This fourth one is where the problem comes in. If you hit MAIN MENU on your DVD remote to bypass the trailer package, for some reason, SOME (not all) DVD players will bypass the option to play either in WS or FF. If you watch the entire trailer package, everything works out fine. If you simply chapter forward through the trailers, everything works out fine. The problem seems to be with pressing MAIN MENU on your DVD remote. And, again, this is only on some players. For instance, it works fine in four out of six of the ones we have here in the office.

I know it can be annoying to watch trailers or to have to simply hit CHAPTER FORWARD on your remote, but it will certainly avoid the issues you're having with the DVD.

Pressing the Main Menu button is exactly what I did too :)

DaViper
07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Well that sucks! I hope it's just a bad batch. Did you buy it from shout? I would try contacting them if you did.

DaViper
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
yeah, you have to go through the special features to select which version (widescreen or fullscreen) of the movie to watch to be able to play the movie

Wow really? Most movies have you select the format after you hit play!

Gilgamesh51
07-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Jeez...well at least I can watch it then, gah I felt so bad, considering I gave one as a present.

I just checked it, yeah you gotta go through the special features, select the version, then press play.

Thank goodness it works, but wow, who messed this up at the factory?!

Shogi
07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow really? Most movies have you select the format after you hit play!

I know, I expected to hit just play and then be presented with Widescreen or Fullscreen options

Colonel Abernathy
07-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Someone definitely screwed up at the DVD authoring factory. Thanks for posting the fix, Shogi. At least it's simple.

Zefram
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
You know, as much as I can't stand the constant complaining of the fan community at large, it'd be nice if one of the companies associated with the franchise could go for an appreciable length of time without giving us a good excuse.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Facepalm/1094181-joker_facepalm_super.jpg

Black Swan
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't think the dvd right not working is that common. I bought the Movie yesterday and saw it last night! I just pressed play and on it went. I know someone said this already, but maybe I got the variant one also.

Gyre-Viper
07-28-2010, 03:09 PM
there was a version of Fifth Element where you had to go into the special features and change the audio if you didn't have surround sound.
at first I thought the audio track was glitched.

The Delta
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
its a common problem with dvd's now a days.either they don't play unless you select a certain format or the sound doesn't sync up to the movie.a friend of my bought the saving private ryan blu-ray and the sound was all off by a few seconds.return it to the store and let them know about the problem so they can tell the distributor about the glitch.

awatalent
07-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Thank you so much for telling me that! Mine works! I was so mad yesterday and was ready to tear someone's ass at shout factory. You saved them. My wife actually cried she was so happy that I calmed down, lol. How did you ever figure that out? And How is a kid ever supposed to know to do that? Way to go Shout Factory idiots, abd thanks a million Shogi.

Cdt Weasel
07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I hear that shout found out, the guy at the factory in charge of this was too busy watching hts,and hitting f5, to notice the glitch.

Jediorc
07-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Mine didn't work on my regular dvd player but when I played on my PS3 it worked fine.

Ioz
07-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Thank you so much for telling me that! Mine works! I was so mad yesterday and was ready to tear someone's ass at shout factory. You saved them. My wife actually cried she was so happy that I calmed down, lol. How did you ever figure that out? And How is a kid ever supposed to know to do that? Way to go Shout Factory idiots, abd thanks a million Shogi.I bet they get a lot of returns. The average person that picks this up at Wal-Mart or Best Buy is not going to search internet forums to see if there is a trick to getting it to work. They'll just go back to the store and return it.

bothen
07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm sure the majority buying will be adult fans or ones with children who come on here to know.I don't think the store's will get enough for the general public to even notice it on the shelf.

thecalm_7
07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Picked up my copies at WM for 12$ each, both work fine.. no going thru menus, i hit play, it asks ff or ws then its on to the movie. BLuRay hasnt arrived yet.

someone commented that new movies are having issues lately, im finding no issues knock on wood and i buy roughly 30 movies a month

CVdelgado
07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
i had to follow his instructions on the review as well.

Steelgrave
07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
i buy roughly 30 movies a month

And how many do you actually watch?:D

Zefram
07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I bet they get a lot of returns. The average person that picks this up at Wal-Mart or Best Buy is not going to search internet forums to see if there is a trick to getting it to work. They'll just go back to the store and return it.

And in reality that should be the first action for anyone with a brain, given how easy a Google search is.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Reactions/rolleyes.jpg

Lody
07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I had something similar happen with my Thundercats DVD set. One of the first few episodes played without any background music. WB was aware of it but unless you sent them an email asking for a replacement, you were stuck. I sent the email and got the replacement about 6 months later. They included a sleeve instructing me to send them back the bad DVD. I don't think I ever did.

kyleolsen79
07-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Picked up my copies at WM for 12$ each, both work fine.. no going thru menus, i hit play, it asks ff or ws then its on to the movie. BLuRay hasnt arrived yet.

someone commented that new movies are having issues lately, im finding no issues knock on wood and i buy roughly 30 movies a month

Did you get them in store or online?

nickvree
07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I hear that shout found out, the guy at the factory in charge of this was too busy watching hts,and hitting f5, to notice the glitch.
lmao, awesome!

Killswitch
07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Here is something to think about guys! It could be your player depending on how old it is! I have an older player that plays everything I own just fine...around about 1000 DvDs....EXCEPT for a lot of DvDs that came out about three years ago up until now....some of the new stuff plays fine and some of it the sound is off kilter or there is blockiness(pixilation) or menus don't work right and so on. When G.I. Joe the series last came out...I couldn't get the episodes to come up...it would run through all the preview stuff and do nothing....but if I turned off my player...turned it back on and hit play it worked fine! What I'm getting at it's a wetware problem...coding problem...older players don't have the newer DvD codes that are encoded on Newer DvDs so they have trouble playing! After I learned this I bought a newer DvD player and everything works fine...I only seem to have those problems on my older player....but sometime it can be the manufactures fault or a bad batch too. Just a little FYI for all of you about a problem that took me a few years to figure out!

Derek2783
07-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Anyone have an extra DVD sleeve they don't want?

thecalm_7
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
And how many do you actually watch?:D

each and every one.

thecalm_7
07-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Did you get them in store or online?

in 2 stores, neither from online. Blu Ray was ordered from shout, im awaiting its arrival

ChaplainAsst
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
You actually have to give Shout some credit - they were honestly and obviously unaware the problem, didn't deny that there was a problem but found it, confirmed a work around, and owned up to the fact that some DVD players wouldn't work when you skipped the trailers. And don't doubt that they won't make a replacement disks - just as they have done with other Joe disks in the past, but it will take a little bit of time to recode the menu and create disks to send. In the meantime, credit them with doing more than saying, "We don't have the problem you are describing."

Jeffrozup
07-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Has anybody had any problems with the blu-ray yet?

BeachHead86
09-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems. Looking forward to finally watching it. I hope.