PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe the Movie (1987) drops tomorrow, who's getting it

Shogi
07-27-2010, 01:18 AM
So Shout Factory's DVD and DVD+Blue Ray combo of GI Joe the Movie should be in stores tomorrow/later today. I plan on getting out there in the morning to pick it up, who else will be out grabbing it?

Dawg99
07-27-2010, 01:20 AM
will probably wait until friday to grab one

vadersquest
07-27-2010, 01:22 AM
I will get mine for sure. That and Repomen and I will pass on Batman (already seen it and I have the disk....awesome animated movie by the way) and that should be it.

JohnnyAngel77
07-27-2010, 01:23 AM
I hope to pick one up Thursday.
Batman (already seen it and I have the disk....awesome animated movie by the way)
Indeed. I really enjoyed it. Followed the story pretty well from what I remember reading back when Jason Todd first came back, with a few small differences.

Zefram
07-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Umm... no. PoC, Joeclub, Sgt Slaughter, gas, groceries, and a Doctor Who DVD have left me a little tapped out... for the rest of the year.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Random/No20Money.jpg

Let us know what the quality is like though. Might finally trade in my Rhino disc.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
07-27-2010, 01:35 AM
I want it...I'll likely get it...but more likely on Thursday when I'm out shopping for groceries.

manic mailman
07-27-2010, 01:42 AM
ill stop in and get it if i pass by somewheres sellin it. i watched most of it on youtube last year. i dont remember if i made it all the way thru and it was pretty ok if i remember right. also gotta fill that void in the complete series locker

vermillion21
07-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Already have the RHINO version ...

copperhead33
07-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Already have two RHINO versions ...

fixed for me.

Steelgrave
07-27-2010, 03:04 AM
Me too! Already have the Rhino version.

gijoeben1
07-27-2010, 04:31 AM
I'll probably be getting both on payday...I don't have a BlueRay player (yet) but would like a copy of this for when I do. For nothing else but the quality of animation in this, its worth it.

KingBiohazerd
07-27-2010, 04:40 AM
I'm getting it! It will be my FRIST BLU-RAY

CVdelgado
07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
if cobra la never existed id buy it for sure...

CornDog_The_Ninja
07-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Is there a difference in this and the GI Joe Movie dvd I already have? Other than the Blu-Ray?

thealleyviper
07-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I have the Rhino version. Not to knock it, but I don't see how blu-ray is really going to make an animated feature from the 80s better.

Dealer Destro
07-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Hang on wait..... I have had this on blu-ray since late May...... WTF?

Shogi
07-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Is there a difference in this and the GI Joe Movie dvd I already have? Other than the Blu-Ray?

I don't know if there's any difference or not. I'll do a comparison when I get it alongside my Rhino one

rip_cord
07-27-2010, 08:44 AM
mine's on the way from Shout Factory!

dragon
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
i picked it up today and all bestbuy had was nomal dvd release no bluray version im glad i looked on back of nomal dvd release it is in full frame & widescreen fromats saved my self few dollars by not getting bluray format

skrapps
07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
ahhh the widescreen version, yeah ill be getting it

Tankster
07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
shit!!!! i am there!!!

Sgt Humpty
07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
I've never seen it, so I'll probably pick it up sooner or later.

Shogi
07-27-2010, 10:51 AM
i picked it up today and all bestbuy had was nomal dvd release no bluray version im glad i looked on back of nomal dvd release it is in full frame & widescreen fromats saved my self few dollars by not getting bluray format

Yep, Best Buy came through again! Target didn't even have it listed on their release schedule (same thing happened with Season 2)

Cobra-La
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I pre-ordered through Amazon. It should be waiting for me when I get home. Can't wait to watch the extras.

Shogi
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Here's some screenshot comparisons between the Shout and Rhino versions. Shout is darker than Rhino and if you look closely at the widescreen you'll see that some of the top and bottom is cut off as opposed to the fullscreen version

I don't know about audio differences as I just use the speakers on my tv

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/Shogi88/CompareDVD.png

Fast_Draw
07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I couldn't find it anywhere at first. Target, TRU, and Newbury Comics (sells music, DVDs, comics, and other stuff...indie store that usually has what I'm looking for) didn't have it. I went to Best Buy and they only had the DVD version and I bought it. They only had 3 copies. I didn't check Walmart because they don't usually have these types of things at the ones near me.

Shogi
07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Here's screencaps of the title screens because I just found an irritating flaw in the DVD:

When you get to the main title screen (the first in this pic) do not hit play! That will just stop the DVD (at least it does with mine) instead you have to go to bonus features (the second pic) then go to set up (the third pic) and when you choose either widescreen of fullscreen, you'll be taken back to the first pic screen where you can now hit play and all is right with the world

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/Shogi88/TitleScreens.jpg

evilmonkeys
07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
On its way from Amazon as I type! Also, Batman: Under the Red Hood. I loves me some HD toons!!!

Colonel Abernathy
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Shogi, thanks for this. It needs to be frontpaged....I thought my DVD was broken (which it kind of is). Hopefully, Shout will re-issue a version where the "play" command takes you to a widescreen/fullscreen selection screen. Without reading Shogi's post, I'd have no idea how to watch the movie.

Here's screencaps of the title screens because I just found an irritating flaw in the DVD:

When you get to the main title screen (the first in this pic) do not hit play! That will just stop the DVD (at least it does with mine) instead you have to go to bonus features (the second pic) then go to set up (the third pic) and when you choose either widescreen of fullscreen, you'll be taken back to the first pic screen where you can now hit play and all is right with the world

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/Shogi88/TitleScreens.jpg

Bombardier
07-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Ordered mine from SHout Factory and it shipped on Friday. Hoping it arrives today!

Viper Commando
07-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I didn't check Walmart because they don't usually have these types of things at the ones near me.

I live in a rural area and the Walmart in town has the DVD version in stock. Price was pretty decent too, $12.

Looking at Shogi's screen caps, I'm noticing that the Shout 4:3 version contains more information on both sides of the frame then the old Rhino release.

Fast_Draw
07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
I live in a rural area and the Walmart in town has the DVD version in stock. Price was pretty decent too, $12.

Looking at Shogi's screen caps, I'm noticing that the Shout 4:3 version contains more information on both sides of the frame then the old Rhino release.

I paid $12.99 for the DVD version at Best Buy. I was hoping to find the Blu-ray version for the day when I get a Blu-ray player. I'd take the regular DVD out and put it in my footlocker set.

PrimeOQZ
07-27-2010, 01:17 PM
I couldn't find it anywhere at first. Target, TRU, and Newbury Comics (sells music, DVDs, comics, and other stuff...indie store that usually has what I'm looking for) didn't have it. I went to Best Buy and they only had the DVD version and I bought it. They only had 3 copies. I didn't check Walmart because they don't usually have these types of things at the ones near me.

I have gone to best buy, walmart, target and even barnes and noble and NOBODY is carrying the blu-ray version. You have to order it online. Best buy has the dvd version only. I was so frustrated because I was really looking forward to it. I pre-ordered my Joe and transformers box sets because those were out before the mass release date. I figured I will easily be able to find it at the stores. I came home and ordered it from amazon with next day shipping. What a waste of time and gas.

JediJones
07-27-2010, 05:31 PM

And the widescreen is just cropped down from the full screen. It only takes picture away and doesn't add any. I assume then the movie was animated for the TV frame and would have just been cropped like this if it ever aired in theaters.

nighthawk
07-27-2010, 05:37 PM
If you look at the other thread that has a review, you'll see that they took away some of the frame from the bottom (possibly the top too) but there is more things on the side. Hope I make sense. Basically it is indeed wider showing more footage on the sides, but the top and bottom have been cropped a little.

gijoeben1
07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
$12.00 at Walmart today, couldn't pass it up. I'll probably watch it later tonight when I get home. Looking forward to it :)

CVdelgado
07-27-2010, 09:38 PM
aw hell i bought it anyway. $12. im a sucker.

what comes after the movie? there are no more sunbow episodes, right?

Shogi
07-27-2010, 09:57 PM
aw hell i bought it anyway. $12. im a sucker.

what comes after the movie? there are no more sunbow episodes, right?

That's correct. The movie was the end of the Sunbow GI Joe. After that we got DiC

G.I.Spawn
07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
For $12 you can't beat it. I'm pretty sure it will drop later on, but I'm getting it.

CVdelgado
07-27-2010, 10:40 PM
did the dic story pickup right from the movie, or did it totally change characters and such?

Shogi
07-27-2010, 11:31 PM
did the dic story pickup right from the movie, or did it totally change characters and such?

Kinda picked right up. IIRC Serpentor was after this ancient device called Dragonfire, the Baroness used it to turn Cobra Commander back into a man. This series also introduced many of the 88-89 figures and Python Patrol