PDA

View Full Version : Resolute Was Given the Shaft?

Fox
07-23-2010, 10:01 AM
I thought Resolute was pretty awesome. Not the best cartoon ever but I liked the look and the approach of it. The storyline was very climatic but they could have always figured out a way to continue the story.

It just seems Resolute got the shaft. First we get a teaser animation. Followed by teaser figures. This was great Hasbro is building up support for a great big Resolute Premier Party. That never happen. The Live Action Movie was getting the push. Resolute gets a late late night showing with little promotion from Hasbro. DVD comes out with little promotion as well. We see a ton of prototype Resolute figs but no word from Hasbro if and when ever they will come out. Only a few months ago did we see pre orders for the Resolute Sets. Seemed like a short notice. These Resolute Sets are being sent out this week and are overshadowed by Renegades and peaks of new POC waves at SDCC. Plus the Resolute Sets got the weaker QC budget.

One could almost say someone at Hasbro would have rather buried Resolute and is doing whatever they can to lessen the impact of it.

Troynos
07-23-2010, 10:26 AM
They are. It was decided that Resolute was not the way to go for Joe in the future and that it would not serve as the hook to get the new generation of fans.

It would not make the new us.

Resolute was for us, the existing fans. Hasbro, rightly so, is more concerned with the new fans that will continue Joe into the future and insure that we can someday have a 50th anniversary line.

Resolute was the victim of bad timing in some respects. With the HUB, there was no way a show not aimed at kids would not get the push from Hasbro.

Resolute has come and gone. We're lucky we got the 7 packs. That was Hasbro listening to the collectors and going out of their way to please us.

What we got for Resolute was not the original idea either.

We got a Sunbow episode on steroids. It was made to appeal to us.

green_shirt
07-23-2010, 10:30 AM
You make it sound like someones fevered ego got in the way of what could have been a good toy and cartoon line. But that would just be unprofessional. I just can't see something like that happening in a corporate setting.

sharky
07-23-2010, 10:35 AM
They are. It was decided that Resolute was not the way to go for Joe in the future and that it would not serve as the hook to get the new generation of fans.

It would not make the new us.

Resolute was for us, the existing fans. Hasbro, rightly so, is more concerned with the new fans that will continue Joe into the future and insure that we can someday have a 50th anniversary line.

Resolute was the victim of bad timing in some respects. With the HUB, there was no way a show not aimed at kids would not get the push from Hasbro.

Resolute has come and gone. We're lucky we got the 7 packs. That was Hasbro listening to the collectors and going out of their way to please us.

What we got for Resolute was not the original idea either.

We got a Sunbow episode on steroids. It was made to appeal to us.
So what you're saying is that the single carded Resolute Storm Shadow that never made it to release is going to go for a ton of money many years down the road. :D

Troynos
07-23-2010, 10:38 AM
You make it sound like someones fevered ego got in the way of what could have been a good toy and cartoon line. But that would just be unprofessional. I just can't see something like that happening in a corporate setting.

More accurately, the Joe decision makers, the ones responsible for the brand, got together and decided that Resolute was not the way to go.

Remember the "good toy and cartoon line" is subjective. Just because we think it is, doesn't mean everyone does and the people responsible for the big picture and the long view may not think it is.

Good toys. Yes. Good cartoon? Not without changes. Alot of changes. It would have had to be toned down in violence to be able to appear on tv and for kids. It wouldn't need to be dumbed down, because it already was. The point though is that changes would have to be made. The decision was to leave it as is, and give it to us older fans to enjoy.

So what you're saying is that the single carded Resolute Storm Shadow that never made it to release is going to go for a ton of money many years down the road. :D

Yep.

green_shirt
07-23-2010, 12:43 PM
More accurately, the Joe decision makers, the ones responsible for the brand, got together and decided that Resolute was not the way to go.

Remember the "good toy and cartoon line" is subjective. Just because we think it is, doesn't mean everyone does and the people responsible for the big picture and the long view may not think it is.

Now don't go bringing your logic and so called scientific thinking into my fantasy land. I like my story better.

As for this "subjective" thing that you speak of. Let me spend some time in excel and I'll give you charts and graphs that makes this "subjective" a fact. Because now my opinions come with there own hockey stick graph. And that's science right?

Fast_Draw
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM

Is that true and if so where did you hear that? I thought it was a mere victim of circumstances. The timing was wrong. I mean, I'm sure they may have felt all the long that it wasn't going to get kids in the mix, but the retailers shut Resolute/modern down in favor of RoC. If RoC cam out later, let's say early 2010 instead of August 20009, who's to say what they would have done?

Likely, it's a combination of factors (retail, RoC, not going to hook kids), but I'd love to see where the explicitly said they just decided it wasn't the way to go period. Retail seemed to play a role in it, not just Hasbro.

Zefram
07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Did someone say "science"? :D

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Lolcats/funny-pictures-science-cat-does-experiments-on-you-for-revenge.jpg

Troynos
07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
More assumption on my part then anything, but just looking at the overall picture.

If Hasbro had thought Resolute was the way to go, then we'd be seeing Resolute and not Renegades.

The not-widespread release would have worked in its favor in that case. Less people had seen it, would still have been "brand new" to them.

Also, with something already designed, less money spent in the design and production phase of the project.

No need for new designs, have the cast already designed.

No need to go thru the process of finding voice actors, got most of 'em already picked.

No, if Resolute would have worked for what Hasbro's goals are, then it would have made sense to use Resolute instead of starting from scratch with Renegades.

And on the toy end, already had figures/logo/branding/molding/etc..

Fast_Draw
07-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Some of the Renegades designs seem to be based off the Resolute ones to me.

TK1945
07-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I just wish Hasbro would work out all the BS and stick with something that works instead of reinventing the line every year.

And this is coming from the point of view from a parent. My boy has 12 inch, sigma six, and VvsV. His only reason for getting into the 25th line was because of my interest in them. Now he seems frustrated that the line keeps changing and doesn't fit well with his other figures. I'm sure he'll give up if the line goes from POC to Renegades.

Troynos
07-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Some of the Renegades designs seem to be based off the Resolute ones to me.

I get a heavy Resolute feel from it. I think the designers realized the good stuff that was in Resolute, and are probably fans themselves, and are "salvaging" what they can.

There would have been no need for a new Renegades Duke if the Big Picture Guys had thought Resolute was the answers, they would have just taken the Resolute Duke and the rest of the team and just started new episodes of the show.

Troynos
07-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I just wish Hasbro would work out all the BS and stick with something that works instead of reinventing the line every year.

That's the crux of the problem though. They haven't found anything that WORKS, at least in what their definition of "works" is for what their goals for the property are (which is probably a far cry from what our definition of "works" would be).

green_shirt
07-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I always figured they were going with Renegades because it's story was close to what Hama was doing with the comic. Just riding off of his coattails and the A-Team. That's why I kept calling G.I. Joe Burn Notice for awhile. Either way I'll still Renegades a chance. Just miss the what could have been.

SH0CKWAVE
07-23-2010, 01:25 PM

if you can't see "fevered egos" in a "corporate setting," then you must be very unfamiliar with corporate settings. ;)

i see where you're coming from though, so please don't misconstrue my comment.

i don't think ego had anything to do with this... it was simply a business call... as well as a politically correct move, in their eyes.

M_renegade
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
One could almost say someone at Hasbro would have rather buried Resolute and is doing whatever they can to lessen the impact of it.

Uh...yes.

That's the crux of the problem though. They haven't found anything that WORKS, at least in what their definition of "works" is for what their goals for the property are (which is probably a far cry from what our definition of "works" would be).

100% true and agreed (unfortunately).

To be honest, i think Renegades have much more chances to be a success than anything else we've seen (name RoC and Resolute).

Fast_Draw
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Renegades has a better situation and the only excuse it will have if it fails is that it just wasn't good. Renegades has a dedicated channel owned by Hasbro so they can stick out as long as they want and give as many chances as possible. RoC and Resolute didn't have those luxuries.

Resolute had to be shopped around and then was only aired on TV once along with the online showing. RoC had more of a chance than Resolute, but films in theaters don't last long if they are hot for more than the first week or whatever. Both also have DVD, too. None of those are the same as the Hub situation though. Hasbro can advertise Renegades over and over and show it until the kids are brainwashed...or until they really do like it. Basically, Renegades has all the time in the world to make you theirs.

Troynos
07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
To be honest, i think Renegades have much more chances to be a success than anything else we've seen (name RoC and Resolute).

Agree completely.

green_shirt
07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
i don't think ego had anything to do with this... it was simply a business call... as well as a politically correct move, in their eyes.

Political correctness is a tool used only by the forces of evil like Cobra. We must root it out and be done with it.

Flint071
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM

I don't think Resolute was ever suppose to be anything but a little "present" to the current fans.

I'm amazing we got as much out of it as we did in terms of figures.

Zefram
07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think Resolute was ever suppose to be anything but a little "present" to the current fans.

I'm amazing we got as much out of it as we did in terms of figures.

I'd say that's a fair assessment. It was a little something for us old-timers, but it was never going to revitalize or reinvigorate the franchise. It couldn't by its very nature.

Tracker
07-23-2010, 01:55 PM
i'd be happy if hasbro continued resolute as an online series for us older fans. I'm sure it would open up the collectors market even more.

Zefram
07-23-2010, 02:00 PM
i'd be happy if hasbro continued resolute as an online series for us older fans. I'm sure it would open up the collectors market even more.

It'd be nice it they did, but webisodes cost money to produce and make very little in return, especially when you're going with pro level animation and VA work. :(

Steel Brigade
07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
You need to understand the point of Resolute before you make the presumptions about it purpose, cancellation, & product.
Hasbro entered an agreement in 2008 of a new plan to create fan-geared/more adult animation for their mature audience.
They decided that this would span for 5 years.
There 1st choice as a property was GI Joe... seeing that the property had a strong adult base with it's 25th line. If the film was successful, they would make more animations over the 5 year plan just for fans even if it wasn't their most profitable venture.
At 1st Resolute was going to be tied closer to the ROC film in feel, characters, design etc. They decided to scrap that idea & make Resolute it's own thing (or more of a continuation of ARAH). After the hiring of the writer (Ellis) & animation team (Avatar), the animation ended up going slower than expected & did not meet deadline even though the toys were on schedule. After some back & forth CN decided to pick it up for online & a special broadcast. By this point, Hasbro had already made negotiations for the HUB network, because of this all of their media plans changed, which included their agreement with CN on the successful Transformers Animated series & other projects like Resolute. Ultimately Hasbro sees Resolute as a great "one time" venture that both they & fans are pleased with, but the acquistion of The Hub changed everything as they are able to reach a much wider audience & not have to follow what stations (like CN) tell them about how or when it will air. In the end retailers cancelled the Resolute figures because they were ready for ROC & didn't want the 25th stock (waves 14 & up) sitting around with how much glut they had already, & used the months before ROC to sell thru preexisting product...while the currently planned Reso (& more) figures got cancelled. Hasbro saw a way to reformat them & get them to fans, yes it was a year later & online but in all seriousness with raw materials & options, this was probably the soonest they could get it to us. The molds were made & even though they could have reacllocated all of them for future product, they still gave us the Resolute product that fans wanted for no other reason but because of fan demand. With how short a venture Reso was, we were lucky to get the Resolute cartoon, & product (especially the new tooling in the 7-packs) because by all respects Hasbro has moved on from Resolute, & is now looking at the "Big Picture." So depite QC issues & a late arrival, we could have basically got nothing at all, as the odds were severly stacked against Resolure fans, & these 7-packs are as much a final love letter as the animation itself.

Timber The Wolf
07-23-2010, 02:30 PM
You need to understand the point of Resolute before you make the presumptions about it purpose, cancellation, & product.
Hasbro entered an agreement in 2008 of a new plan to create fan-geared/more adult animation for their mature audience.
There 1st choice as a property was GI Joe seeing that the property had a strong adult base with it's 25th line. If the film was successful, they would make more animations over the 5 year plan just for fans even if it wasn't their most profitable venture.
At 1st Resolute was going to be tied closer to the ROC film in feel, characters, design etc. They decided to scrap that idea & make Resolute it's own thing (or more of a continuation of ARAH). After the hiring of the writer (Ellis) & animation team (Avatar), the animation ended up going slower than expected & did not meet deadline even though the toys were on schedule. After some back & forth CN decided to pick it up for online & a special broadcast. By this point, Hasbro had already made negotiations for the HUB network, because of this all of their media plans changed, which included their agreement with CN on the successful Transformers Animated series & other projects like Resolute. Ultimately Hasbro sees Resolute as a great "one time" venture that both they & fans are pleased with, but the acquistion of The Hub changed everything as they are able to reach a much wider audience & not have to follow what stations (like CN) tell them about how or when it will air. In the end retailers cancelled the Resolute figures because they were ready for ROC & didn't want the 25th stock (waves 14 & up) sitting around with how much glut they had already, & used the months before ROC to sell thru preexisting product...while the currently planned Reso (& more) figures got cancelled. Hasbro saw a way to reformat them & get them to fans, yes it was a year later & online but in all seriousness with raw materials & options, this was probably the soonest they could get it to us. The molds were made & even though they could have reacllocated all of them for future product, they still gave us the Resolute product that fans wanted for no other reason but because of fan demand. With how short a venture Reso was, we were lucky to get the Resolute cartoon, & product (especially the new tooling in the 7-packs) because by all respects Hasbro has moved on from Resolute, & is now looking at the "Big Picture." So depite QC issues & a late arrival, we could have basically got nothing at all, as the odds were severly stacked against Resolure fans, & these 7-packs are as much a final love letter as the animation itself.

Well put!

I have to agree with this... As much as I loved Resolute. It's not going to win many new fans over. Renegades can and will. I'm soo glad it's not computer animated. I'm going to tune in and give it a fair shot.

green_shirt
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Man that is the most round about way I've ever seen to say shut up and be happy you got what you got.

Tracker
07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Well put!

I have to agree with this... As much as I loved Resolute. It's not going to win many new fans over. Renegades can and will. I'm soo glad it's not computer animated. I'm going to tune in and give it a fair shot.

before we say it will has there been any info at SCCC of what cable a satellite providers are going to pick up The HUB ?

Troynos
07-23-2010, 02:55 PM
before we say it will has there been any info at SCCC of what cable a satellite providers are going to pick up The HUB ?

The ones that have Discovery Kids. Been no info on if more (or less) are going to pick it up now that Discovery Kids becomes The Hub.

Tracker
07-23-2010, 03:02 PM
cool if that's the case then i'm good

Sailor_Joe
07-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Troynos - Well said and I completely agree (did I just say that?).

Even at the Renegades panel at SDCC, they said that Resolute was a fan-film put to life. It was designed by fans for fans. They're hoping to take what was good from that one-off and "dumb" it down. Yes, dumbing down things like this seems horrible. But in the big picture, Hasbro needs to put new life into the G.I. Joe brand. They could have possibly done this with Resolute, but yes the timing was bad. And in all their "corporate" knowledge, they put most of their eggs into the basket of, Rise of Cobra. And the full-fledged edginess of Resolute would not sit right with parents of the younger generation. I mean lets face it, the majority of parents who are screaming "we loved Resolute" are also saying that in it's greatness isn't very kid oriented.

One common theme I noticed is that while Hasbro may be trying redefine the brand. They've come to the conclusion that the best way to do this bring back the same energy that came with the Sunbow cartoons and the ARAH toys of the 80s. Hence why they've created this "Hub" and hired the executive producer of the old shows to come back for the new ones. In the end, I think it's a smart move.

In terms of toys, the PoC line is now the one with the fans in mind and Renegades the "gateway" for the kids. They get hooked on the Renegades and then span the passages to the PoC line when they're ready.

Gyre-Viper
07-23-2010, 03:54 PM
thanks Steel Brigade.
I told ya you were needed in here.

ChaplainAsst
07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Has Hasbro "officially" said that there will never be a Resolute sequel? I kind of wouldn't be surprised if they did do something. It seemed like a sequel was a possibility based on comments from the producers, so not sure if that went away with Renegades or not.

Gyre-Viper
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Has Hasbro "officially" said that there will never be a Resolute sequel? I kind of wouldn't be surprised if they did do something. It seemed like a sequel was a possibility based on comments from the producers, so not sure if that went away with Renegades or not.

Hasbro takes more of a 'no plans' stance than ever 'officially' negating the possibility of anything. they'd also probably say no just to throw us off the scent if they were planning anything. I mean it also depends on the Resolute team coming back and considering whether or not to execute it as before... via CN etc... then it actually has to be drawn and written etc etc etc.

Troynos
07-23-2010, 04:54 PM
I THINK that the DVD sales of Resolute would have alot to do with if they think it would be worth bringing back or not.

If it sold well, then they know there's a market for more.

If the DVD didn't sell well.....

Sailor_Joe
07-23-2010, 04:56 PM

To expand on what Gyre was saying....
It was actually asked in the panel, yesterday. And they dodged the question but are, "Open to new idea for the future." Right now, they're focusing on the Hub which is their immediate future media outlet.

The overall attitude is that since Hasbro owns the Hub and the animation rights that they can do as they see fit. Which is why they bought to the network. Now I can only speculate that if Renegades becomes a success for the Hub, they can explore more "late-night" programming. Following the program model of Toonami/Adult Swim in which Cartoon Network starting showing un-edited versions and a more "adult oriented" program schedule. But right now, the focus in on what we got.

KingCobra
07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
I thought Resolute was a one and done type deal. They did it to drum up interest for the movie. And that's why they allowed Ellis to kill off some key characters.

I appreciate Resolute for what it is. Sure, the Joe fan may not like how it veered off from the personality of some of their favorite characters. But my non-Joe collecting friends, dug the shit out of it.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
07-23-2010, 06:42 PM
I think Resolute has been and always was designed as a holding place line. Much like Transformers: Robots In Disguise was.

Hasbro knew they needed something coming out of 25th but prior to the movie, so they gave Resolute a try.

I honestly don't think Hasbro had intended for it to be anything more than that. A filler geared toward collectors.

Hasbro for awhile now has stood on the ideal that first and fore most G.I. Joe is a product whose main source of revenue is still kids. And while we collectors get tossed a bone here and there, clearly Resolute with its more gritty tone was not a kids show.

But we got some cool stuff, and some of it even snuck into other main line releases, so I'm happy.

Steevy Maximus
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I think Resolute has been and always was designed as a holding place line. Much like Transformers: Robots In Disguise was.

Hasbro knew they needed something coming out of 25th but prior to the movie, so they gave Resolute a try.

I honestly don't think Hasbro had intended for it to be anything more than that. A filler geared toward collectors.

Hasbro for awhile now has stood on the ideal that first and fore most G.I. Joe is a product whose main source of revenue is still kids. And while we collectors get tossed a bone here and there, clearly Resolute with its more gritty tone was not a kids show.

But we got some cool stuff, and some of it even snuck into other main line releases, so I'm happy.

I agree. The movie was ALWAYS going to be "the next big" in regards to the Joe brand. The issue in 2007/early 2008 was when the movie was actually going to get off the ground.

I firmly believe that Hasbro's intention was to use Resolute as a filler in 2009 to expand the 25th/Modern Era's offerings until the movie was finished. But then, there was threat of a Writer's Guild strike and Paramount rushed GI Joe into production (with a very abbreviated production period) to get it out in mid-2009. So Hasbro adapted and REsolute was the casualty.

Steel Brigade
07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
thanks Steel Brigade.
I told ya you were needed in here.

My pleasure my friend. I could go on & get even more detailed (like why we got Reso Snake Eyes early) but I think I hit the key points. :)

CV2.0
07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
...and it was wonderful.

Fox
07-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Resolute story does seem like a one shot deal but Hasbro or any company doesn't invest money to produce a special and figures as just a thank you to the fans. Going in they had to plan to run with the Resolute theme for at least a year.

There was the teaser clip and teaser figs and after that is was like. Hey everyone we are making a Movie. Resolute you say? What's that? Oh right Resolute. Sure are still making that I think.

green_shirt
07-23-2010, 10:24 PM
My pleasure my friend. I could go on & get even more detailed (like why we got Reso Snake Eyes early) but I think I hit the key points. :)

So just a friendly question to settle my interest. How do you know so much about what's going on in the marketing department? Your job title at Hasbro is what now....

Zefram
07-23-2010, 10:24 PM
As much as I think Resolute was overrated, I think Hasbro was genuinely onto something in making one-shot, adult oriented versions of their classic properties.

Basically, do with Joe and Transformers and whatever other properties they have what DC has been doing with the DC animated movies. I mean, NONE of those have anything to do with each-other continuity wise, and some like Public Enemies have been able to get new figs on the shelf.

I say screw Resolute. It was a nice idea, but the writer was the wrong guy for the job. Come up with a new one-shot along those lines. Stick with a small group of heroes and villains and those traits that make them iconic, tell the story, and you're done! If it doesn't work, move on.

I think Hasbro and Paramount should have gone the "Gotham Knights" or "Animatrix" route, and had a bunch of different creators show their stuff with Joe, and told stories about the different characters in their own ways with the actors reprising their roles. Imagine that with Transformers!

Now, did Gotham Knights or Animatrix break tons of new ground or make a ton of money? No, but it kept the property in peoples' minds, and gave fans something to talk about, and that's always a good thing. Put out a new PG (about where DCs videos are at) Joe animated DVD every year, so there's always at least one on Walmart's rack, and people will start to notice.

Also, you notice how there's a lot less bitching about which version of Batman or Superman is the "right" one? That's because there have been so many interpretations that it's a pointless argument at this point. Do that with Joe! Do it with Transformers!

Don't settle with one interpretation at a time! Show what can really be done with these characters in a LOT of creator's hands!

Mech-Viper
07-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I think hasbro did it just to keep us quiet as Summers butchered GI JOE

flash70
07-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Resoulte was the best G.I*JOE story in a long...long time.

Growing up reading the great comic run by Larry Hama and enjoying some of the old cartoon episodes. I really wanted something like this for a long time.

It would be great to have an adult oriented theme JOE cartoon but the bean counters need to make the fast buck these days and decided to dumb down the property to appeal cattle.

I can't get behind stuff like that...Perfect example Sigma Six when it came out it was the same stupid formula.

It gets tired and dumb with the same old crap shoveled in our faces.

I have the same problem with the sw:prequels lucas just destroyed why I really loved Darth Vader - now he is just a dumb character made from a dumb ass kid.

Oh' well everything eventually falls down and goes away.

Immortal_Joker
07-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Oh i like that. Just because its made for others an not you they are cattle? Is this how low the fandom has fallen when nothing caters to them? sad very sad.

SH0CKWAVE
07-24-2010, 01:33 PM
There 1st choice as a property was GI Joe... seeing that the property had a strong adult base with it's 25th line. If the film was successful, they would make more animations over the 5 year plan just for fans even if it wasn't their most profitable venture.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/66/shaftrichardroundtree27.jpg

Pew, pew... bang, bang!

Zefram
07-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Resoulte was the best G.I*JOE story in a long...long time.

Growing up reading the great comic run by Larry Hama and enjoying some of the old cartoon episodes. I really wanted something like this for a long time.

Without bothering with the rest of that whine-fest, Resolute didn't follow the story of the comics, nor did they consult Larry Hama (unlike the movie, shockingly enough) and as a result the deepest characterization the comic had, the whole conflict between SE and SS, was pissed and crapped all over. SS went from being a morally gray character driven by honor to "bad guy stereotype #7" (he had more honor in the ARAH cartoon, which shows he didn't even research that). Where was the characterization Destro and Baroness had? Where the hell was Billy? Ellis admitted he'd didn't know a goddamn thing about Joe before he started writing (and it shows). He just made a grittier version of the Sunbow cartoon.

Please, don't even mention Resolute and the comic in the same sentence in my presence. Grittier doesn't equal mature except in the minds of the immature. Batman: TAS had a lower body-count across the entire run of the series than Resolute, and was more mature on its worst day.

ChaplainAsst
07-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I wonder if the way people are talking about Resolute and Renegades is how fans of the GI Joe Adventure team talked about ARAH in the 80s.

Zefram
07-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I wonder if the way people are talking about Resolute and Renegades is how fans of the GI Joe Adventure team talked about ARAH in the 80s.

They didn't have the internet, ergo unlike all of us they probably had lives. >_>;;;

uberthawk
07-24-2010, 05:04 PM
hasbros thinktank is full of idiots. how popular is adult swim? they should keep in mind g i joe ranges acrooss all age groups...not just 4 year olds. thats why joe died in 94; neon colors and srings dont appeall
past the toddler age.----dumbasses in charge of hasbro r probly mother group influenced. best selling games and graphic novels hit the area of rated m+...we r the 1s who have the expendable cash and got hasbro back in g i joe-25th...we were the 1s who took our kids and wives 2 c that horrible garbage they called a movie.

flash70
07-24-2010, 05:14 PM
lol...you guys r funny...I love this board.

Sgt.D
07-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Long live GIJOE resolute.

'nuff said.

gunslingercbr
07-24-2010, 05:19 PM
hasbros thinktank is full of idiots. how popular is adult swim? they should keep in mind g i joe ranges acrooss all age groups...not just 4 year olds. thats why joe died in 94; neon colors and srings dont appeall
past the toddler age.----dumbasses in charge of hasbro r probly mother group influenced. best selling games and graphic novels hit the area of rated m+...we r the 1s who have the expendable cash and got hasbro back in g i joe-25th...we were the 1s who took our kids and wives 2 c that horrible garbage they called a movie.
Resolute aired on adult swim and didnt generate much excitement with that audience, so apparently its market isn't as valuable as you want to claim. That doesn't make Hasbro the idiots.

Fact is resolute was a collector targeted infomercial. A 1 hour animation broken into 6 or 7 parts isn't drawing in new fans, no matter what age. It was a bone for existing collectors primarily, and served its purpose as well as it could.

If Hasbro are idiots, it is the very concept of resolute that makes them so. So anyone that likes resolute inherently cant think hasbro are idiots in regards to any aspect of it.

kneroh
07-24-2010, 05:20 PM

And how much merchandise does adult swim move? Close to none. Hasbro is a toy company.

green_shirt
07-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Resolute aired on adult swim and didnt generate much excitement with that audience, so apparently its market isn't as valuable as you want to claim. That doesn't make Hasbro the idiots.

You know that's not completely correct, not completely. You're over looking the fact that there was no marketing for it at all and they only posted the schedule for when it was to air about one or two weeks before it came out. It's not that no one cared it's that no one but fanboys knew about it.

I'm always showing it to friends and I always get the same response "What's Resolute?" An after they see it they say " That's what I always wanted Joe to be." or "That's what the movie should have been." I've yet to show or lend it to folks that didn't like it.

It's easy to call it a failure when know one knows about it. But why does know no one know about it?

There is no solid way you can prove viewers for TV. But if you look at the number of views on Youtube and Google video or the number of torrent downloads you'll get a better idea of how well it's done. You might also wanna read the Youtube comments because they're not written by rabid fanboys like us.

G.I.Spawn
07-24-2010, 10:04 PM
I went in a fanboy, I came out a fanman......

green_shirt
07-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Lol

Gyre-Viper
07-25-2010, 02:33 AM
So just a friendly question to settle my interest. How do you know so much about what's going on in the marketing department? Your job title at Hasbro is what now....

uh... we were on the tour... there was a Resolute room.

a lot of us had some pretty specific discussions with Hasbro in the dealer room etc.

and certain things have been discussed in the Q+A's regarding Resolute.

this has all been discussed previously in the 271 other Resolute threads.

Nirvana
07-25-2010, 03:21 AM

a lot of us had some pretty specific discussions with Hasbro in the dealer room etc.

I Need Proof (http://ineedproof.com/)

green_shirt
07-25-2010, 06:32 AM

Photos or it didn't happen.

G.I.Spawn
07-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Did you just ask for photos of a discussion

Fast_Draw
07-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I think he meant video or audio or it didn't happen.

green_shirt
07-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Did you just ask for photos of a discussion

YUP!

Hey it's the default forum response for everything thing right?

green_shirt
07-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I think he meant video or audio or it didn't happen.

No photo's would be much more funny.

G.I.Spawn
07-25-2010, 10:32 AM
A photo would be great..........but I was there with Gyre, and pretty much heard the same stuff..........sorry no photo

Gyre-Viper
07-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Steel Brigade and Gyre-Viper.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs328.ash1/28565_1451150209055_1542264378_31127343_3029057_n. jpg

TSHawkeye
07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Resolute was great and I enjoyed it but I don't think it brought a lot of new toy collectors into the hobby. I've lent it to a few people that enjoyed it but not a single one will go out and buy any figures. Its the same as ROC, I know non collectors that enjoyed it immensely( yes, some people did enjoy the movie, myself included) but they weren't the ones at TRU looking for The White coat Doctor. A lot of fans forget the cartoon is basically an ad for toys and the ones that will buy the Resolute toys were already buying Joe stuff.
If it dosent bring in new fans the property dies and all us hard core fans get nothing, and Resolute wasn't right to attract new fans to the brand. I'm happy we got as much as we did, be thankful for that.

green_shirt
07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
AH! You bested me with your photo trickery Gyre. I yield to my better. Well unless it's Photoshop. Hm.....

Gyre-Viper
07-25-2010, 12:47 PM
AH! You bested me with your photo trickery Gyre. I yield to my better. Well unless it's Photoshop. Hm.....

damn it you caught me.
yeah that's actually Steel Brigade and I at a Taco Bell trying to figure out what to order. I just photo-chopped us into the dealer room. Steel Brigade likes to photograph his food before eating it. I don't ask.

green_shirt
07-25-2010, 12:51 PM
damn it you caught me.
yeah that's actually Steel Brigade and I at a Taco Bell trying to figure out what to order. I just photo-chopped us into the dealer room. Steel Brigade likes to photograph his food before eating it. I don't ask.

I knew it. Either way it's a better Photoshop job than the folks at BP.

Sailor_Joe
07-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Don't settle with one interpretation at a time! Show what can really be done with these characters in a LOT of creator's hands!

I agree, Zefram... Look at what drives the Star Wars lines. It's the VERY EXPANSIVE universe that has been created around it. You have origins stories via KOTOR, child appeal via Clone Wars, and so much beyond the party on Endor. You have novels, comics, video games (that rock), and of course - tons of figure lines. In short, there's something for every type of Star Wars fan. And while Star Wars geeks will lightsaber duel to the death over old, bald Anakin vs. Haydensen Anakin... They do so over different versions. I agree that the diversity in story telling is needed to expand the Joe Universe as a whole.

Sadly, you're probably correct. This is true of any marketing plan. The Big Screen just reaches more people than a "straight-to-DVD" release. So when the green light was lit for RoC, any chances of Resolute to be something more than it is were thrown out the window.

Mint Condition
07-26-2010, 01:21 AM

Yeah it's kinda sad. It seems like every time they reinvent it, it does AMAZING...for a little while. Then they're back to square one.

As a G.I. Joe fan, it makes me sad, but I do admit I like seeing different interpretations of the characters.

New lines and reinventions are bound to happen though.

Steel Brigade
07-26-2010, 09:10 AM
damn it you caught me.

^ LOL!! I like to remember my meals...

CrimsonGuard101
07-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Resolute was simply a last ditch effort to make sure they kept enough people buying toys up through wave 13 prior to the disimination of ROC product at the final bell of that Christsmas Season. It ensured 100% success to move into the the full release of ROC. I htink they knew ahead of time that ROC was not goin to be received well and wanted to soften that blow which really did nothing more then giving to much sugar to a baby...it only wants more and more and it gets worse the longer you delay it. Hence why they keep caving in to give us the 7 packs and such when fans scream bloody murder. Renegades is not a 100% departure from Resolute though. The only difference I can see at this point is a dumbed down animation process, different voice actors and the removal of all violence cept extremly subtle implied death.

I think it was a mistake to give up on Resolute so quickly. What really chaps my ass about it is how everyone keeps saying that if POC is successful then we will get POC along side Renegades...when have they ever done that with Joe products? Resolute is just a perect example of what will and can happen when Hasbro has other agendas in place. ROC was the agenda that killed Resolute and nothing more due to the "we don't wanna confuse the kiddies" and POC will also be ended by Renegades into once again a sinlge line of joes until ROC 2.0 takes over the Renegades toys once again to prevent confusing those kiddies.

The only redeeming factor here will be at a minimum that ROC 2.0 figures and Renegades figures can possibley be a side by side dual toy line. That is about the only way we will see 2 different lines for Joe and only IF both lines can sell well by that time and has garned those new generations of fans it so seeks and has so failed to generate to this day. They plan to run renegades for SEVEN years...that puts us right up against the 35th anniversary of Gi Joe. Only time will tell if Renegades and ROC 2.0-3.0 can start reflecting itself well and generating enough of those "new kiddie fans" it needs or if they don't pay thier cards right and keep us collectors happy, then the line will fall apart and return to the sleeping chamber of fail along side the rest of th epost 90's line reviving attempts for another 40 years...

We also can not rule out that Titmouse was very busy with successfully regaining another year or so on Metalocolypse so they may have not sought a continuation or wanted bigger contracts from hasbro which made them decide to have to go a different direction. That is 100% plausible in my opinion and can not just be racked up to Hasbro just decided unilaterally on it's own that Resolute was not what they wanted. There are answers were not ever going to get at this point.

Sailor_Joe
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
CG101 - You are correct. Resolute is sadly history. At least in terms of toys. At the Hasbro panel at SDCC, they said they were "open" to new ideas. Like I said, maybe late-night programming later on. But will toys come from it, highly doubtful. They have the PoC line for that. Which, I'm safely assuming will also include the sequel line.

gunslingercbr
07-26-2010, 01:31 PM
You know that's not completely correct, not completely. You're over looking the fact that there was no marketing for it at all and they only posted the schedule for when it was to air about one or two weeks before it came out. It's not that no one cared it's that no one but fanboys knew about it.

I'm always showing it to friends and I always get the same response "What's Resolute?" An after they see it they say " That's what I always wanted Joe to be." or "That's what the movie should have been." I've yet to show or lend it to folks that didn't like it.

It's easy to call it a failure when know one knows about it. But why does know no one know about it?

There is no solid way you can prove viewers for TV. But if you look at the number of views on Youtube and Google video or the number of torrent downloads you'll get a better idea of how well it's done. You might also wanna read the Youtube comments because they're not written by rabid fanboys like us.
what kind of marketing occurs for anything on adult swim? not much because the adult swim audience is generally informed of what will air.

the adult swim crowd knew it was on and didn't watch it. why? no interest. that doesn't mean it wasn't good and they wouldn't like it when they saw it, just that they didn't care. so, the claim that adult swim is some prime avenue to revitalize the brand is ridiculous.

Sailor_Joe
07-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Adult Swim is a non-argument. Hasbro has the Hub now to do as it pleases with any animation property that it owns.

gunslingercbr
07-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Adult Swim is a non-argument. Hasbro has the Hub now to do as it pleases with any animation property that it owns.

the entire argument is silly. Hasbro's primary goal is to sell toys, and every peripheral endeavor is aimed to assist that.

Resolute was never gonna revitalize the brand because it was a 1 hour special targeting existing fans/collectors. that was all it was and ever would be.

it was a minor project aimed at a minor demographic and at best would have had a minor effect on the market had every figure been released at retail.

Gyre-Viper
07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
CG101 - You are correct. Renegades is sadly history. At least in terms of toys. At the Hasbro panel at SDCC, they said they were "open" to new ideas. Like I said, maybe late-night programming later on. But will toys come from it, highly doubtful. They have the PoC line for that. Which, I'm safely assuming will also include the sequel line.

you mean Resolute. not Renegades.

Sailor_Joe
07-26-2010, 07:50 PM
the entire argument is silly. Hasbro's primary goal is to sell toys, and every peripheral endeavor is aimed to assist that.

Resolute was never gonna revitalize the brand because it was a 1 hour special targeting existing fans/collectors. that was all it was and ever would be.

it was a minor project aimed at a minor demographic and at best would have had a minor effect on the market had every figure been released at retail.

I agree and I loved Resolute. But I knew what it was when it was released and didn't try to convince myself that it was anything more. Sure, it could have been more, but then again so could have been other things as well.

you mean Resolute. not Renegades.

My bad... All the Renegades talk... Simple case of dyslexia.

SteelCity86
08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
I, like many,loved Resolute...when I eventually saw it. I had no idea it was on, knew nothing about it. If you want something to be successful you got to push it, and Reso got nothing. And the format was silly, 15 min. episodes a week or whatever apart that no one even knows is on? Not going to be successful. Im not saying they intentionally tanked it or anything, they either didnt make it a big enough priority or just dropped the ball. With what others have mentioned I think its the former.

Zef actually mentioned something I was going to say as well. DC has done some really cool pg to pg-13 animated one shots that have turned out REALLY well. They do a great job of being kid friendly but also enjoyable for an adult. Thats what I had hoped Renegades would be, although it looks now that it will be dumbed down a little ( a lot maybe?) more than that. The Superman/Batman movies, Gotham Knights, Justice League and Green Lantern movies were all good. I would love to see some GI Joe themed movies like this. An hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half, each 1 a stand alone movie.

Now I havent looked at the numbers to see how successful these DVDs have been, but I see a ton of them in the stores now. DC and Marvel are turning them out quite frequently. Why not 4 Joe?

Troynos
08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Go read Steel Brigades response on Page 3.

Gyre-Viper
08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
no matter how much information from Hasbro's mouth we get... people still speculate despite said speculation being rather untenable in the face of explained fact.

Sailor_Joe
08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
no matter how much information from Hasbro's mouth we get... people still speculate despite said speculation being rather untenable in the face of explained fact.

Yah... I was having a discussion about this with a non-Joe fan. She was saying how strange it was fascinated on how so many Joe fans are so myopic in that they believe their own personal version of the world should be considered canon. Even when it comes from the source, some people refuse to believe it.

dj7000
08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I dont think Hasbro had a clue about anything related to Gijoe last year

jeff_duke
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
For some reason I always got the vibe that GI Joe mini series 1 and GI Joe Resolute were done in similar styles. I think it had to do with atmosphere than anything else. I agree that it was simply done for the fans of ARAH. The same can be said of the comic that Hama is doing at IDW now.

As for a new series. What I would have liked seeing is a series that had little to no emphasis on sci-fi, and instead concentrated on continuity, character development and just telling good stories. I think plots to take over the world and super weapons from space have been done to death. Again, just my opinions.

Sailor_Joe
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
For some reason I always got the vibe that GI Joe mini series 1 and GI Joe Resolute were done in similar styles. I think it had to do with atmosphere than anything else. I agree that it was simply done for the fans of ARAH. The same can be said of the comic that Hama is doing at IDW now.

As for a new series. What I would have liked seeing is a series that had little to no emphasis on sci-fi, and instead concentrated on continuity, character development and just telling good stories. I think plots to take over the world and super weapons from space have been done to death. Again, just my opinions.

Actually, Jeff... That's exactly what your getting with Renegades. The Renegades panel at SDCC clearly stated this is something they want from the new cartoon. And now that they have the Hub, they have the freedom to do it. Yes, there's going to be a sci-fi element. But when you look at it, Joe always had a bit of a sci-fi in it (even a character named Sci-Fi - sorry, couldn't help it).

kennywr22
08-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I also think resolute was just a nice movie for all the older fans, nothing more. I also think renegades has the best chance at getting the next generation of fans. I think it looks fantastic. I'm all for the designs and even want stylized figures to go with it. If this takes off big then we all win.

jeff_duke
08-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Actually, Jeff... That's exactly what your getting with Renegades. The Renegades panel at SDCC clearly stated this is something they want from the new cartoon. And now that they have the Hub, they have the freedom to do it. Yes, there's going to be a sci-fi element. But when you look at it, Joe always had a bit of a sci-fi in it (even a character named Sci-Fi - sorry, couldn't help it).

Ok, maybe I spoke to soon.