PDA

View Full Version : Something to SHOUT about (Review of G.I.JOE Blu Ray)

tkprime
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Later tonight I'll be writing my review for the G.I.JOE: Animated movie Bluray, (Special thanks to Shout for the advance copy)- They sent my club the Bluray And The BluRay is fantastic, and I wanted to share some pics here with my friends at Hisstank ( I'l post the review later, but here's some pics.

A real big thank you To Shout Entertainment.

http://i46.tinypic.com/29dv5zn.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/vgn1qd.jpg

DaViper
07-01-2010, 08:45 PM
awesome can't wait to hear the review!

tkprime
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
In the hands of G.I.JOE, the Broadcast Energy Transmitter is a device capable of fufiling all of Earth's energy needs, However, in the hands of Cobra and the newly revealed Cobra-La, led by the acientand otherworldly GOLOBULUS (Burgess Meridith), the B.E.T. could spell the end of the human civilization, With DUKE critically wounded on the batlefield, it's up to LT. FALCON (Don Johnson) and a new class of G.I.JOE recruits to prevent GOLOBULUS from infecting the entire globe with deadly mutating spores!

Anyone who has watched the DVD's from shout know enough about the menu screens, and the BluRay is packed full of Special features

Disk 1: The Blu-Ray is in Full 1080p High Definition/1.78.1

Audio Commentary With G.I.JOE Writer/Story Consultant Buzz Dixon

Public Service Announcements

And an Art Gallery that is packed full of some wonderful sketches and artwork from the Sunbow Vault

Disc 2- The DVD Full frame 1.33.1
All bonus features from blu-ray are included
DVD EXCLUSIVE -Printable Screenplay! (YES, DUKE DID DIE, and there's a few suddle suprises in the script that EVERY JOE fan shoud read)!

The Good, The 1080p is FANTASTIC, The colors rich and sharp (which is why we love Blu-ray to begin with) The Widescreen format is like watching the film for the first time. The special features are fun and Audio Commentary are informative

For those who bought the Footlocker, the included DVD completes your set, and is great on the go if you have an in car dvd system (My boys love it). The Real cool Printable Screenplay is EPIC!

The Bad: Audio is in 2.0 Stereo, (I really wish it would have been 5.1) but it's the only real downer in this fantastic piece of animation. but to be fair I've considered the film was from t.v. and was prob only ever made 2.0. Had this film went to the movies like Transformers I'm sure we'd have a 5.1

Viper Commando
07-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Disc 2- The DVD Full frame 1.33.1
All bonus features from blu-ray are included
DVD EXCLUSIVE -Printable Screenplay! (YES, DUKE DID DIE, and there's a few suddle suprises in the script that EVERY JOE fan shoud read)!

The Bad: Audio is in 2.0 Stereo, (I really wish it would have been 5.1) but it's the only real downer in this fantastic piece of animation. but to be fair I've considered the film was from t.v. and was prob only ever made 2.0. Had this film went to the movies like Transformers I'm sure we'd have a 5.1

How is the video quality of the DVD? Shout had to reduce the bit rate to make room for the widescreen version (which you can only access from the special features menu as it was a last minute addition).

As for the audio, Brian Ward has stated on the Shout boards that it was taken directly from the film print. He also confirmed that Hasbro doesn't have seperate audio elements (dialogue, music, effects) in their storage facilities for 'the 87 G.I. Joe movie, therefore a 5.1 mix wasn't possible.

Anyways, thanks for the reivew. Cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of the Blu-Ray!

Rainbow Viper
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
thanks for your review and congrats on getting it early (and congrats to others who received the disc(s) early as mentioned in other threads). but I have a question about the widescreen HD transfer...are we actually getting more picture on the sides or is it basically taken from a large film print and then cropped to be widescreen and then adjusted.

and on a side note...the original release on dvd of the Rhino version of the movie had 5.1 audio...as did many of the cartoons that sunbow also produced that rhino released... I know at least season 2 part 1 did. and the vocal track is in the seperate channel in some episodes and I know Jem and the holograms also had 5.1 audio when released by rhino(also by sunbow and they also had the vocal track in the second channel). so my guess would be since they spent so much time cleaning up the video master and making it on blu ray they may not have had the time to create a 5.1 mix or thought the original stereo mix would be preferred or ...well who knows why...but I'm sure the audio masters exist or at least they existed somewhere in 2004. this is kind of a bummer :( but hey...I don't have the space for a 5.1 setup anyway and prolly won't for a while so I guess it ain't a big deal.

GI C
07-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah,if I remember correctly it was only show in TV.It never made it to theaters.Not to be mean but the Transformers movie saw to that.

tkprime
07-02-2010, 03:53 PM
I will have to compare with my old vhs tape copy of the movie to see if the widescreen is just recroped, but That is an excellent point, I will check it tonight, The printable script has a lot of cool changes in it that would have made some scenes better, Shipwreck had some funny lines in the original script, and Duke did die, which if I have to guess why it was changed, I remember reading that some kid locked himself in a room after the Transformers movie and made National headlines because of the Death of Optimus prime, and ticket sales for the My Little Pony movie and Transformers sealed The Cinamatic fate for our 87 G.I.JOE film. But Shout really has made an old fav look brand new. And for my 5 year old this was his first time watching it and in HD it blew him away, he's been running around the house telling his older brother stuff followed by "This I command". So as an origianl collector and Father it really has made an impact here, and I will say when it hits retail that every G.I.JOE fan should pick up a copy, it's worth having.

cobralalalala!
07-02-2010, 04:30 PM
^^^haha! This I command! That's awesome.

Imperial_Ozma
07-03-2010, 07:10 AM
I will have to compare with my old vhs tape copy of the movie to see if the widescreen is just recroped, but That is an excellent point, I will check it tonight, The printable script has a lot of cool changes in it that would have made some scenes better, Shipwreck had some funny lines in the original script, and Duke did die, which if I have to guess why it was changed, I remember reading that some kid locked himself in a room after the Transformers movie and made National headlines because of the Death of Optimus prime, and ticket sales for the My Little Pony movie and Transformers sealed The Cinamatic fate for our 87 G.I.JOE film. But Shout really has made an old fav look brand new. And for my 5 year old this was his first time watching it and in HD it blew him away, he's been running around the house telling his older brother stuff followed by "This I command". So as an origianl collector and Father it really has made an impact here, and I will say when it hits retail that every G.I.JOE fan should pick up a copy, it's worth having.

Yeah I'm very much for watching things in the original aspect ratio so I'd like to know which one that is :D

Thanks for the review, never heard the story of the kid locking himself in his room... I know it "traumatized" a lot of kids and upset a lot of parents, though and I'm sure that's why it changed. Can't wait to read the original script.

I'm glad your kid got a kick out of it too :D

esg2145
07-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I've got and had the movie on DVD forever like many of the rest of us -

...........sorry, you can't polish a turd. :(

crock master
07-03-2010, 09:16 AM
we have all seen it for the past 25 + years.who really cares. most people hate this movie to no degree

DrKain
07-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Wait, the audio is 2.0? Is it even uncompressed then? Son of a bitch!!! If I had known that 3 months ago, I would have kept my Kid Rhino DVD.

DrKain
07-11-2010, 03:01 AM
, therefore a 5.1 mix wasn't possible.

BULLSHIT!!! Rhino's release had a 5.1 track, which shows it is available. Shout got lazy and never even gave the damn release an HD audio track, which defies the point of it even being on BR.

Viper Commando
07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't believe there is a "true" 5.1 mix available for the '87 animated movie. Considering the soundtrack that's on the film print is in mono that's probably how it would have been released in theaters. 5.1 surround sound didn't even exist back in 1987.

One of the "issues" people had with the Kid Rhino releases of G.I Joe/Transfromers was added sound effects on the 5.1 tracks. Not sure if the 5.1 track on the Kid Rhino release of the '87 movie had added sound effects but that may be why Shout left if off their release. Also, since the 5.1 mix was created by Kid Rhino they own the rights to it and Shout would have to pay to include it on their releases.

Most, if not all home theater systems have the ability to up mix mono/stereo inputs into 5.1 anyways so to me it's not a deal breaker having the sound as 2.0 audio.

I do have to agree that it's disappointing that a uncompressed version of the soundtrack wasn't included on the blu-ray.

Ioz
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
How is the video quality of the DVD? Shout had to reduce the bit rate to make room for the widescreen version (which you can only access from the special features menu as it was a last minute addition).I'm curious about this as well since I'll probably just get the DVD.

DrKain
07-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't believe there is a "true" 5.1 mix available for the '87 animated movie. Considering the soundtrack that's on the film print is in mono that's probably how it would have been released in theaters. 5.1 surround sound didn't even exist back in 1987.

One of the "issues" people had with the Kid Rhino releases of G.I Joe/Transfromers was added sound effects on the 5.1 tracks. Not sure if the 5.1 track on the Kid Rhino release of the '87 movie had added sound effects but that may be why Shout left if off their release. Also, since the 5.1 mix was created by Kid Rhino they own the rights to it and Shout would have to pay to include it on their releases.

Most, if not all home theater systems have the ability to up mix mono/stereo inputs into 5.1 anyways so to me it's not a deal breaker having the sound as 2.0 audio.

I do have to agree that it's disappointing that a uncompressed version of the soundtrack wasn't included on the blu-ray.

MGM has proven that you can take a mono soundtrack and upgrade it to a HD 5.1 track without any added sound effects with their James Bond Blu-Rays, so it can definitely be done.

Mazinger
07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks!

I want to know what the commentary is like, sine that's the only reason I'll buy this. I already have the DVD.

sharky
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
MGM has proven that you can take a mono soundtrack and upgrade it to a HD 5.1 track without any added sound effects with their James Bond Blu-Rays, so it can definitely be done.
I concur. Studios remaster soundtracks for DVD and BD releases all the time.

Julianbaischir
07-13-2010, 01:06 PM

It certainly can, but the expense of remixing was probably weighed as not being worth it for this release. It's not an easy process, especially if you're working with pre-digital technology.

Viper Commando
07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I concur. Studios remaster soundtracks for DVD and BD releases all the time.

Sorry if I made it seem like I was arguing that it's impossible to remaster old film soundtracks into multi channel mixes for DVD / BD. I know it's possible and done on a regualr basis.

JediJones
07-27-2010, 06:41 PM
In another thread someone posted screencaps showing that the widescreen version on the DVD is just cropped down from the full frame version. It's made from a shorter rectangle placed in the middle of the full frame's square. Does the blu-ray have the full frame version or only the widescreen? If it doesn't have full frame, they blew it. The complete image of the movie is not available in HD then. I can't stand how the obsession with widescreen has overshadowed the concept of original aspect ratio. The reason viewers wanted widescreen home video in the first place is because that was usually the original aspect ratio, which was ruined when it was panned and scanned for VHS or TV airings. But why anyone would think panning and scanning a TV image vertically to produce a cropped widescreen version is a worthy cause is beyond me.

SmokedPorter
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Wow, that would suck. I'm totally questioning whether I should drop the cash for this or not. I was looking forward to the widescreen (seeing more than the original release).

Viper Commando
08-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Shout cropping the 4:4 ratio into 1:78 for the blu-ray/DVD has NOTHING to do with making the video fit a HDTV. There are logs/story boards which indicate that the film was intended to be cropped in a widescreen ratio of 1:78. The movie was animated in a 4:4 ratio because they used an open matte technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_matte)during production. In open matte, any cropping is done during projection at the theater. That's why there is no widescreen print, only the 4:4 version.

G.I.Joe The Movie was clearly frammed for a widscreen crop. It's not like DBZ where peoples heads are completely cropped off. Maybe people should actually watch the widscreen version and then form an opinion instead of looking at a bunch of online screen shots and proclaiming "Shout dropped the ball".

BigD350Z
08-01-2010, 01:27 AM
BULLSHIT!!! Rhino's release had a 5.1 track, which shows it is available. Shout got lazy and never even gave the damn release an HD audio track, which defies the point of it even being on BR.

Agreed! I was getting ready to chime in that I had a copy made from the Rhino release and it was in 5.1. Does Shout think we are that stupid? They don't care. They know we'll buy it anyway.

SmokedPorter
08-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Viper, thanks for the info. I would have been much relieved if Shout would have clarified this for dumbasses like me.

I purchased the Blu Ray today with some birthday money. The animation seems a bit choppy: like stop-and-go when the characters are moving. And the audio is very unimpressive.

Nonetheless, glad I picked it up to complete my boxset. I really enjoy this movie, even though it seriously contradicts the comic Joe I've come to adore over the past couple years.

plague
08-02-2010, 08:38 AM
i really do't seee the big deal with golobulus and gang in the cartoon universe. i mean they'vr fought ghosts, the toy master, a lot more cheesy accidents and kept on trucking. i enjoy this movie waaaay more than the live-sction version. holding out hope on the second one. as far as i'm concerned the comic book is canon and everything else ar video games.

elanmars
08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
i really do't seee the big deal with golobulus and gang in the cartoon universe. i mean they'vr fought ghosts, the toy master, a lot more cheesy accidents and kept on trucking. i enjoy this movie waaaay more than the live-sction version. holding out hope on the second one. as far as i'm concerned the comic book is canon and everything else ar video games.

yeah i don't understand how someone can like the series and dislike the movie? it's in the same vein. any "realism" in the series is very few and far in between.

some episodes are painful to watch.

lespaul59
08-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Have any of you guys found the Blu Ray at Best Buy? BB's web site say Store pick up not available. And I've only seen the dvd in the stores I've had a chance to check.

SmokedPorter
08-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Only place I found near me that had the Blu Ray was FYE.