PDA

View Full Version : First time poster / Need some advice

JesseJames13
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Hello all. First time posting on these forums. I've been lurking for a while now. A while back, I auctioned off my joes for bill money. Things are looking up again, because of graduation and purchasing my tattoo shop. I have a baby on the way. It will be here in 3 weeks if everything goes to plan. I decided a few months ago to get back into collecting. It's actually part of my plan for the kid. I'm going to get a cobra army going. They'll get the joes. And my girl called dibs on the dreadnoks. I already have 40 BATs, and most of the main characters in 25th versions. As for the advice part, here is what I'm running into:

I recently bought the 25th remake of the v2 Snake Eyes. Right out of the package, I tested the joints. His left arm joint rotation was sticky. I'm pretty sure it's because of the newer flexible plastics used in making it. I've dug around the forums a bit and saw threads about people boiling water to get joints working again. I tried that, but his arm is in ribbons now. I'm probably going to just grab another online sometime or use him for a custom later. But this seems to be a continuing theme. I just (20 minutes ago) got my wraith figure, and his joint hinge is stuck. Is there anything that seems to work for you guys 100% of the time? Thanks in advance!

fireflyguy
06-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the tank!

I don't have a great answer for you, as I haven't really encountered that problem. But there will be someone here who can help.

Hope to see you around often!

SH0CKWAVE
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
welcome back to the tank, A-Tat!!

jk.

welcome to the tank, dude. congrats on your shop and all that jazz.

i don't have an answer to your inquiry... i just thought i'd push you around campus for a second.

RuckusJr
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Warm water, not boiling.

Darth Awgmon
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
I have a baby on the way. It will be here in 3 weeks if everything goes to plan.

First, don't refer to your baby on the way with the pronoun "it." You'll freak out your woman.

As far as the stiff joints, I just try to slowly move the arm/leg back and forth to loosen it up. That usually works pretty well after a few movements. Just move the whole part at once without putting too much stress on the joint. I'd rather the joint be a little tight than too loose.

The Commander
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah warm water not boiling.

and welcome to the Tank! Sweet tat!

JesseJames13
06-10-2010, 01:46 PM
welcome back to the tank, A-Tat!!

Haha, yeah. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. :P

First, don't refer to your baby on the way with the pronoun "it." You'll freak out your woman.

We don't know if "the baby" is a boy or girl yet. Either way, "the baby" gets an army after it's old enough. :D

DavAnthony
06-10-2010, 01:47 PM
You can also go with sticking it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. I started doing that with the A-Team figures and found it works pretty well. However it doesn't seem to work well at all for DC figures, although others have said they've had success with it.

In some other instances I've run it under hot water out of the tap for about 45 seconds and then I've gotten a thin screwdriver (flathead) and dug the piece out gently.

Sometimes the plastic is fused and the only way to truly get it out is to do it this way.

I've never used near boiling water because it softens things up too much and you can run into a problem where the plastic will literally rip since it has lost its strength due to the heat.

JesseJames13
06-10-2010, 01:51 PM
... the plastic will literally rip since it has lost its strength due to the heat.

Yeah, that's what happened to Snake Eyes. I just tried out the warm/not boiling method on Wraith and his arm is working and still in tact! Thank you guys. I dig how helpful everyone is right off the bat.

SH0CKWAVE
06-10-2010, 01:59 PM
btw, you suck for cheating on Sandra Bullock.

;)

JesseJames13
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Believe it or not, that's my real name. First and middle anyway.

Speaking of names, and totally random (you'll like this if your dork meter goes up to 11):

Boy= Ridley after Ridley Scott director of Alien
Girl= Aurra after Aurra Sing bounty hunter in Star Wars

Python_Puckman
06-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Believe it or not, that's my real name. First and middle anyway.

Speaking of names, and totally random (you'll like this if your dork meter goes up to 11):

Boy= Ridley after Ridley Scott director of Alien
Girl= Aurra after Aurra Sing bounty hunter in Star Wars

Does your woman know about this? I tried to get mine to go with Mercer for my boy, and she was on board until she found out it was a Joe character, so he ended up with Jason. I tease her now that he is named after Jason Vorhees :) I'm still working up the nerve to bring home a hockey mask for him

JesseJames13
06-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Heck yeah! Ridley is just about the coolest sounding name out there. We actually went though a list of female Star Wars characters together. I think she's the one that actually pointed it out. I actually saw a sick looking Vorhees mask at TRU 2 weeks ago. It's made to fit a child and is movie accurate. You should pick it up and toss it in the closet till October. :)

Python_Puckman
06-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Heck yeah! Ridley is just about the coolest sounding name out there. We actually went though a list of female Star Wars characters together. I think she's the one that actually pointed it out. I actually saw a sick looking Vorhees mask at TRU 2 weeks ago. It's made to fit a child and is movie accurate. You should pick it up and toss it in the closet till October. :)

Haha! Awesome! I know where I'll be during my lunch break tomorrow!

megafreakintron
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
i cant say much my son named after Xmen. and he thinks its awsome. hes 12 now and collect anyhting with the xmen hes named after.

Python_Puckman
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
i cant say much my son named after Xmen. and he thinks its awsome. hes 12 now and collect anyhting with the xmen hes named after.

You didn't say what his name was, so now I'm curious what it is...

First guess: Xavier

Second guess: Bishop

Third guess: Cyclops :)

Gideon75
06-10-2010, 06:32 PM

I'll take a guess: Logan Magnus?

JesseJames13
06-10-2010, 11:07 PM
You get 10 points if you named your son Nightcrawler.

B and H Comics
06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
My sons middle name is Colton from Joe Colton. And his first name is after a football player.

Bloodviper
06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I am new also, I think warm water would help. I ordered a Wraith figure V1 and he is still in the package, until I complete my collection.

Beckley
06-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Welcome
Where is your tattoo shop at?