PDA

View Full Version : Cobra's Resolute base location

minstrelboy
06-09-2010, 08:25 PM
I just started rewatching Resolute, and something had been bugging me since the first time I watched, but I hadn't been able to figure out what it was until tonite. At the beginning, Major Bludd is dead at the Lincoln Memorial, where he bled out quite a bit. Later, at Cobra's undisclosed base, Cobra Commander is talking to his troops, and says that he cut the traitor Major Bludd's heart in half "right here, in this room."

That line always seemed a bit unnecessary to me, that he needed to point out that it was done there, "in this room." But if you think about it, for Bludd to be able to bleed so much in front of the Lincoln Memorial, he'd have to have been killed very close to that location. So, when he gave that speech to his troops, does this imply that they had a base beneath DC?

Or am I just reading too much into it, since the end battle happens at Springfield, and this is the only base CC was at the entire time?

Sailor_Joe
06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
It could have been a metaphorical statement. Meaning, he had cut the traitor loose right there. Or it simply could have been a graphical creative choice to show the blood oozing from Major Bludd's body.

The Cobra base was in Springfield. But if you recall, Springfield could have been "Anytown, USA". Nonetheless, I think you are reading too much into it .

sparks007
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Springfield,VA ??

Tanksmasher
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
That's an interesting thought about the HQ but I doubt it since there aren't any other clues that point to that. I personally thought Bludd's death was unnecessary. Way to kill of an important character w/out having developed him. Same goes for Bazooka.

fireflyguy
06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
There's a trap door in Lincoln's left shoe.

green_shirt
06-09-2010, 09:50 PM
I noticed it too but let it drop cause Springfield is an any town U.S.A. kinda thing. For all we know it could be 30 minutes outside of DC.

I just figured he was stabbed, wrapped in plastic and tossed into a plain white van. A few minutes later they unrolled him in front of old Abe and drove off.

Beside the average adult has 8-10 pints of blood in the body so if he was stabbed in front of Abe there should has been a whole lot more blood there.

But honestly it just comes down to this one thing. It looked really cool on film and it's one hell of a way to start the show.

green_shirt
06-09-2010, 09:51 PM

That's a way better answer than the one I just gave.

minstrelboy
06-10-2010, 06:53 AM

That's what I'm saying - they could have an entire tunnel system beneath the US like in Logan's Run (the book, not the movie - the two were entirely different). Springfield in Resolute is, if my memory serves correct, geographically in the American midwest. So that's a long drive to make just to dispose of a body. They could have flown him in a helicopter, but the airspace over DC is watched pretty closely. Unless they had a Pythonized helo.

Either way, it's cool to theorize about it. And by cool, I mean hopelessly geeky.

oliverbox
06-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Springfield,VA ??

Actually, that's perfect. Springfield, VA is even on the Metro... it would take Cobra Commander right to the Mall close to the Lincold Memorial. I live in Alexandria, and I got to Springfield to buy my comics. It's right in the DC Metro Area. Hilarious.

Troynos
06-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I hadn't thought about it much.

Was a bad way to start off. Like other parts of Resolute, just seemed out of place and rushed. It was more of a "look, we just killed Bludd, we're bad-ass" then a story hook.

Still looked cool though.

Springfield VA, lol, good choice.

But I think it was more of a metaphorical thing.

minstrelboy
06-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Many things were unfortunate for Resolute. Least of all, it was (in my opinion) the best thing to happen to GI Joe (storywise) yet. But it was as much awesomeness as they could hammer into the short time frame that it was given. Some figures were released, and the ones we got were awesome. The upcoming packs look pretty sweet too, but this is probably the last we'll see of Resolute.

I'd love for Renegades to succeed, but I'd love even more for it to be a segue into what becomes Resolute. The events that lead up to Resolute could be very interesting.

Nictus
06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
springfield and washington DC are one and the same...two sides of the same coin

atomsmasher
06-10-2010, 12:25 PM
The HQ is never listed but when the battle happens in Springfield it is different. It could have been two seperate bases.

Zanibar13
06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I like to think that Cobra has a base under DC, sort of their political base where they easily go topside to corrupt government officials, and buy elections. (Cobra's White House if you will), and that Springfield was more of a Strategic command base for military operations. (Cobra's version of NORAD) anyways, just thoughts...

The Mass Device
06-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Perhaps Bludd's body was transported to DC after he was killed using the Mass Device.

Monkeywrench
06-10-2010, 08:04 PM
I just started rewatching Resolute, and something had been bugging me since the first time I watched, but I hadn't been able to figure out what it was until tonite. At the beginning, Major Bludd is dead at the Lincoln Memorial, where he bled out quite a bit. Later, at Cobra's undisclosed base, Cobra Commander is talking to his troops, and says that he cut the traitor Major Bludd's heart in half "right here, in this room."

That line always seemed a bit unnecessary to me, that he needed to point out that it was done there, "in this room." But if you think about it, for Bludd to be able to bleed so much in front of the Lincoln Memorial, he'd have to have been killed very close to that location. So, when he gave that speech to his troops, does this imply that they had a base beneath DC?

Or am I just reading too much into it, since the end battle happens at Springfield, and this is the only base CC was at the entire time?

good stuff. I had never thought about it til now

Atreides
06-10-2010, 08:08 PM
That movie is dead to me now. Thanks for ruining it. ;)

oliverbox
06-13-2010, 04:29 AM
springfield and washington DC are one and the same...two sides of the same coin

If Springfield is supposed to be like "Anytown, U.S.A" then there's no way it's the same as DC - DC is so weird and messed up. If the rest of the U.S. were like DC, the USA would have never survived this long.

Gunzlingr
06-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Hello people! He obviously used the MASS device to teleport the body. Duh!

Ohio Duke
06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Maybe Major Bludd was touring DC and fell on a knife and Cobra Commander being the opportunist he is, spun the situation into something he could use and motivate the troops.

IronMan76
06-16-2010, 02:12 PM
I had a problem with that statement ever since I first saw Resolute also...

It definately doesn't make sense...

...But I think it was probably just somehow overlooked by the creative team that made the movie...

I don't think Cobra's base was under Washington DC though.

RolandofGilead
06-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Why take the time and effort to drop him off at the Lincoln Memorial? What was the significance? I would assume he wanted GI Joe to know he wasn't messing around this time, but why bother if the explosions on the Flagg were meant to sink their HQ? Why warn his enemies and then try to kill them? Of course, that's forgetting that he could have just as easily used the same device he destroyed Moscow with to wipe GI Joe off the face of the earth.