PDA

View Full Version : Give Headman some credit

PitViper
06-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Alright, well I think the DIC cartoon just sucks....well for the most part..

I like Joes from that era (just got my MOC Headman today!) but cartoon wise--I dunno, maybe cause I'm a Sunbow kid or whatever, the DIC stuff is kinda weak so I take it with a grain of salt.

Having said that, weak cartoon or not--it took the combined forces of G.I.Joe and Cobra to take Headman down.

Point being...Headman isn't exactly a 2 bit hood--this guy had the place on lockdown and those Head Hunters were pretty badass. (Seriously why doesn't anyone do a custom Head Hunter!?)

I remember appreciating this era of Joe much more in the Marvel run and look forward to re-reading the Brocca Beach/Headman stuff, but for now I had to catch up to Headman DIC style and what I came away with is...Headman really is a badass! Well organized, ready for war and a formidable foe.

So why is he so easily forgotten?

DISCLOSURE: PLEASE do not give the Tanker Headman credit as he is learning to surf and I wouldnt want to be responsible for breaking his attention. Also he is as addicted to attention as Falcon is to "Spark"--Thank you.

Nirvana
06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Forgotten?

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8038/headhunter00.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3476/headhunter06.jpg

I've even been upgrading him for my big ME Headhunter update since the first post. :D

(Not to be confused with...)

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8742/headman07.jpg

(Who is his own rare kind of special. IG 4 Life.)

Nirvana
06-07-2010, 07:55 PM
btw, it is so lame for the cheesy, almost government required "the bad guys and good guys join up to take on a common foe: DRUGS!" to come out of the '80s/'90s show. The Headhunters deserved some more respect and the JoeCon set was a good start.

Lifeline_MD
06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Dude, I wouln't give Hedman Cash, let alone credit!

RolandofGilead
06-07-2010, 07:59 PM
This was waaaayyy past my time, but I'd love a 25th/ME version of both those figures. I'm still hoping that Hasbro goes back one day to dig deeper in the GI Joe mythos and pull figures who were released AFTER 1987.

PitViper
06-07-2010, 08:00 PM
It's def cheesey for the "war on drugs" things to be going on in the Joe Verse--but it is what it is I guess.

Headman and the Head Hunters could easily clash with Dreadnoks, or some how rise to power again--even if it meant more than just "pushing drugs"--

We need blood in the streets...have Headman take over a few projects and we're onto something good...

Nirvana
06-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I could swear the JoeCon set gave them a tweaked storyline where they are more of a worldwide mob/crime syndicate for COBRA to make money and less on being drug pushers now.

What issues in the Marvel run covered the Headhunters? I want to go back and read through them now.

Sailor_Joe
06-07-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't know. I mean, the character story is badass. But you would think that the Dreadnoks would have had the whole drug market (via Cobra) in lock down. But come to think of it, I think it would have sorta been cool to have a Dreadnok/Headhunters Civil War rather than a Cobra Civil War.

Konigstiger
06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I've got a representative of all the Headman's goons except the man himself. In my Joeverse i even went so far as to have the Headhunters take out virtually all of the Dreadnok's leadership.

I'd do a ME custom of him if a '30s-'40s era cut suit ever materialized.

No, none of the options out there are "right".

PitViper
06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't know. I mean, the character story is badass. But you would think that the Dreadnoks would have had the whole drug market (via Cobra) in lock down. But come to think of it, I think it would have sorta been cool to have a Dreadnok/Headhunters Civil War rather than a Cobra Civil War.

A few Dreadnoks decide to stop at some local watering hole after taking care of some "business"--next thing you know a few "off duty" Head Hunters place a wager on the best boy over at the billiards table.

Someone cheats, or gets accused of cheating, not paying--push comes to shove and you end up with a full blown battle--that reaches incredible proportions.

Shockwave on one side...Alley Vipers on the other.

I dunno if it would work in a cartoon but that would be one helluva short story arc in a comic book.

the odinson
06-07-2010, 08:51 PM
i never knew who headman was until i got on the tank.

A.V.A.C.
06-07-2010, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=PitViper;1716888].Point being...Headman isn't exactly a 2 bit hood--this guy had the place on lockdown and those Head Hunters were pretty badass. (Seriously why doesn't anyone do a custom Head Hunter!?)

how bout' a headhunter stormtrooper? :D

copperhead33
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
the early 90's were the height of my drug use.
there's no way i would have copped from headman.

RuckusJr
06-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Thank god you're talking about THAT Headman...

mattymatt
06-07-2010, 11:10 PM
It's def cheesey for the "war on drugs" things to be going on in the Joe Verse--but it is what it is I guess.

Headman and the Head Hunters could easily clash with Dreadnoks, or some how rise to power again--even if it meant more than just "pushing drugs"--

We need blood in the streets...have Headman take over a few projects and we're onto something good...

Cheesy yes but at the same time it does bring to light just how bad everyone is effected by illicit drugs(spark, think coke, crack) that even a terroist originization could be effected by the effects of drugs.
on a less serious note the figs were pretty cool and the def line should have been expanded.

SH0CKWAVE
06-07-2010, 11:15 PM
DISCLOSURE: PLEASE do not give the Tanker Headman credit as he is learning to surf and I wouldnt want to be responsible for breaking his attention. Also he is as addicted to attention as Falcon is to "Spark"--Thank you.

lmao!!

this is all i wanted to read.

Nirvana
06-08-2010, 03:53 PM
White Headhunters, so bizarre. They should have given the Headhunters a better appearance than a minor spot in a trilogy of stories going on in 123-125.

Sailor_Joe
06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
A few Dreadnoks decide to stop at some local watering hole after taking care of some "business"--next thing you know a few "off duty" Head Hunters place a wager on the best boy over at the billiards table.

Someone cheats, or gets accused of cheating, not paying--push comes to shove and you end up with a full blown battle--that reaches incredible proportions.

Shockwave on one side...Alley Vipers on the other.

I dunno if it would work in a cartoon but that would be one helluva short story arc in a comic book.

Probably wouldn't work in a cartoon, that's for sure. But seriously a good start to a story... Gang territories, drug warlords... I mean, seriously, being Mercs for Cobra can't be all that profitable and they're a biker gang!!!

Sgt Humpty
06-08-2010, 04:23 PM
This was waaaayyy past my time.

Same here. I have no idea who Headman is (other than a guy who digs Miley Cyrus). As a kid, the last figures I remember buying with were ARAH wave 6 (1987). I recall my little brother playing with Iron Grenadiers, but that was it until I came back to the Joes in 2008.

Black Llama
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I have no idea who Headman is (other than a guy who digs Miley Cyrus).

Some people would pay for that kind of infamy on the 'Tank. Literally. Headman, you still owe me 5$ bucks you bastard.

Headman
07-27-2010, 02:29 AM
How on Earth did I miss this thread? Btw, it's a fact that the Headman character's popularity has increased since I took the name. Hasbro would be wise to contact me about some sort of cross marketing deal.

Shin Densetsu
07-27-2010, 02:37 AM
The Headman on our boards is better than the Headman character in the DEF assortment and cartoons....the only figure I liked out of DEF was Shockwave.

Zefram
07-27-2010, 02:39 AM
How on Earth did I miss this thread?

How on Earth did we both miss this thread?!

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/WTF/0619_019.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/WTF/1277544312245.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/drugs-are-u-on-drugs-you-bad-evil.jpg

Headman
07-27-2010, 02:42 AM
The Headman on our boards is better than the Headman character in the DEF assortment and cartoons....the only figure I liked out of DEF was Shockwave.

See... Shin knows what's up.