PDA

View Full Version : The New GI Joe Cartoon

Sweetness
06-02-2010, 04:48 PM
What do you know about the characters? Tell me, please!

Python_Puckman
06-02-2010, 05:06 PM
The new cartoon will reportedly be called "G.I. Joe Renegades". Here is some intel from GeneralJoes

Quick Hits – G.I. Joe: Renegades | Generals Joes - A blog about the importance (or unimportance) of little plastic men (http://generalsjoes.com/2010/05/01/quick-hits-g-i-joe-renegades/)

Sweetness
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM
So we dont know if Scarletts with Snake-Eyes? :(

Python_Puckman
06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
They said that they have "geeks" working on it, so there is at least some hope that they will include previously established histories like that... or maybe they'll have her hook up with Ripcord :)

Sailor_Joe
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm in the middle with it. I'm thinking that Renegades are going to be much like the IDW comic series line where our heroes are not as squeaky clean as we're used to. Meaning, they're taking on this whole concept of G.I. Joe as some Black Ops undercover force rather than a Spec Ops military force. The animation is from the same people who brought us: Resolute. This is good (as far as I'm concerned). As for the story, I don't know. I just seem Joe becoming more and more non-military oriented. Sure they have rank and are "trained" via the military. But the unit itself is becoming less of it. My guess it's the sign of the times. In the 80s & 90s, being in the military was something to be proud of. Today, though being involved with the US Military is looked down on (globally). Hence the disbanding of the Joes as an "American Hero" in the Roc and hence the loose military affiliation in new stories.

Sweetness
06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm in the middle with it. I'm thinking that Renegades are going to be much like the IDW comic series line where our heroes are not as squeaky clean as we're used to. Meaning, they're taking on this whole concept of G.I. Joe as some Black Ops undercover force rather than a Spec Ops military force. The animation is from the same people who brought us: Resolute. This is good (as far as I'm concerned). As for the story, I don't know. I just seem Joe becoming more and more non-military oriented. Sure they have rank and are "trained" via the military. But the unit itself is becoming less of it. My guess it's the sign of the times. In the 80s & 90s, being in the military was something to be proud of. Today, though being involved with the US Military is looked down on (globally). Hence the disbanding of the Joes as an "American Hero" in the Roc and hence the loose military affiliation in new stories.

Seriously? The people of Resolute are drawing it? Is it just me or does everything seem Anime. Well kinda, I hate Anime type drawings.
Hopefully they do a better job drawing Scarlett her nose distracted me in Resolute. lol
Skrew that then I'm proud of our fighting force! :)

Troynos
06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think it's the same people that did Resolute, but that's kind of the style they're going for.

It's NOT CG though. It's hand drawn.

Sailor_Joe
06-03-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't think it's the same people that did Resolute, but that's kind of the style they're going for.

It's NOT CG though. It's hand drawn.

I thought I read somewhere (wish I had the link as a reference) that it was the same studio that did Resolute. I could be wrong, but I thought that they were doing Renegades as a response to Resolute but wanted to "tame it down" (ie: bloodshed, adult overtones). Again, I could be wrong (please source and correct, if possible)...

In all honesty, though... I don't like the direction they're going with story. I don't like my Joes as "Renegades". I want them as Heroes. And as of right now, the stylistic animation is the only thing keeping my interest in this continuation. (Not that I'm anybody important, mind you - just saying.)

RolandofGilead
06-03-2010, 06:59 PM
...As for the story, I don't know. I just seem Joe becoming more and more non-military oriented. Sure they have rank and are "trained" via the military. But the unit itself is becoming less of it. My guess it's the sign of the times. In the 80s & 90s, being in the military was something to be proud of. Today, though being involved with the US Military is looked down on (globally). Hence the disbanding of the Joes as an "American Hero" in the Roc and hence the loose military affiliation in new stories.

Who's "looking down" on the US military? Seriously? The fact is that Joes moved further and further away in the ARAH days. They started out looking like modernized military soldiers and became more unique and sci fi with each succeeding year. I don't think that had anything to do with a dislike of the military than it did with designers moving further and further from the source material in an attempt to make it more interesting to kids.

Sailor_Joe
06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Who's "looking down" on the US military? Seriously? The fact is that Joes moved further and further away in the ARAH days. They started out looking like modernized military soldiers and became more unique and sci fi with each succeeding year. I don't think that had anything to do with a dislike of the military than it did with designers moving further and further from the source material in an attempt to make it more interesting to kids.

I've been alot of places and hate to bust your patriotic bubble, but wearing a flag on your sleeve doesn't garner the same amount respect as it used to. Let's just say that in my years of service (I retired in 200*), it wasn't a big thing for me to walk around in uniform. Nowadays, I couldn't even travel in official capacity in uniform. Damn, can I even get 10% off my dinner bill? Not anymore. It's simple really, a good part of the rest of the world is not happy with our country's foreign policies. It makes them nervous. When you're in uniform, you're a vessel of those policies. Whether you agree with them or not.

General public outlook plays greatly into marketing toys designed for children. Don't believe me? Why do you think they turned G.I. Joe into "an international" force for RoC? Hell, at one point in the process G.I. JOE was some lame international acronym. They did it so they could market the movie in other countries where their general opinion of the US wasn't so high.

That being said... I don't think it's right and I have an insane amount of love and respect for my brothers and sisters in uniform. More than I can even say on some internet board. But from a marketing standpoint... From a business standpoint. Military pride isn't as high as it was in the 80s, 90s, or even on September 12, 2001. And we're in a business age. The all mighty dollar rules all. So if that means dumbing down your military toy. Then so be it. If that means stripping down your Sergeants, Captains, and Generals to nothing more than titles. Then that's what needs to be done to sell more toys.

Again... These are not my opinions. Just realistic points that affect our Joe Universe.

M_renegade
06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I've been alot of places and hate to bust your patriotic bubble, but wearing a flag on your sleeve doesn't garner the same amount respect as it used to. Let's just say that in my years of service (I retired in 200*), it wasn't a big thing for me to walk around in uniform. Nowadays, I couldn't even travel in official capacity in uniform. Damn, can I even get 10% off my dinner bill? Not anymore. It's simple really, a good part of the rest of the world is not happy with our country's foreign policies. It makes them nervous. When you're in uniform, you're a vessel of those policies. Whether you agree with them or not.

General public outlook plays greatly into marketing toys designed for children. Don't believe me? Why do you think they turned G.I. Joe into "an international" force for RoC? Hell, at one point in the process G.I. JOE was some lame international acronym. They did it so they could market the movie in other countries where their general opinion of the US wasn't so high.

That being said... I don't think it's right and I have an insane amount of love and respect for my brothers and sisters in uniform. More than I can even say on some internet board. But from a marketing standpoint... From a business standpoint. Military pride isn't as high as it was in the 80s, 90s, or even on September 12, 2001. And we're in a business age. The all mighty dollar rules all. So if that means dumbing down your military toy. Then so be it. If that means stripping down your Sergeants, Captains, and Generals to nothing more than titles. Then that's what needs to be done to sell more toys.

Again... These are not my opinions. Just realistic points that affect our Joe Universe.

Sadly, this it's all true.

Anyways, about Renegades, judging by the only screenshot we've seen, it looks like the clean line style is kept, while having a less mangaish features.
Personally, that Duke pic reminds me a lot of Aeon Flux style.

With this said, i'm suspicious about the Renegade toys.
When people asked if they were going to be compatible, they replied they'll look good next to the other stuff.
The same thing they said about Clone Wars toys.

trpr5566
06-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I would hate to get off point of this thread but as far as the whole popularity of the Military goes, as far as world wide you may be correct but I think the majority of americans have much more love and pride for the military now then they did in the 80-90's, especially when you consider how the military was treated after vietnam. I was in the military in San Diego in the early to late 90's and the locals hated us. If you go to San Diego now, the military is much more popular.

And PS: I still get a military discount with just my military Visa Debit.

blackrazor1
06-03-2010, 08:23 PM

I think it's kind of subjective. The original G.I. Joe was a pretty authentic military representation, but they didn't use the ARAH tagline. Then you have Adventure Team and Super Joe that leave the military concept completely. Then the ARAH era comes along. The first wave of figure are a future fighting force. They look like a unit. After that G.I. Joe looks more like a paramilitary organization, than an actual unit in the US military.
The only figures that look like actual US Forces were Footloose, Shipwreck, Battle Corps Beach-head, and Ghoststriker Ace. Even during the 80's heyday, they still changed the name of the line when selling it in other countries. Now they're trying to sell it as G.I. Joe world-wide. I haven't read the comics in a few months, but I remember the origin stories were showing the Joes as US military personnel.

I think is more laziness than anti-military sentiment. They don't have to think up new material for foreign markets. No birthplaces, job descriptions instead of backstory. It means Hasbro just has to tranlate the toys and send them. Every kid gets the same story worldwide. It's easier for Hasbro, but kids won't be as invested as they used to be.

snotshadow
06-03-2010, 08:37 PM
i look forward to watching it but am honestly not as excited as i was for resolute

Trooper13
06-03-2010, 08:53 PM

I can tell ya Joe that in the early 90's in the middle east wearing a flag on your sleeve didn't get you any love or respect. It's unfortunate that they felt the need to disassociate the Joes in the RoC continuity, but as you yourself admit, you can understand the reasoning behind it. It sucks, but if Joe refuses to change with the times, it'll end

I know we talked a little about your dissatisfaction over IDW's direction with the Joe team over in the comic forum, but I don't think this incarnation will be quite as dark or sinister. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see it, atleast.

Sailor_Joe
06-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I can tell ya Joe that in the early 90's in the middle east wearing a flag on your sleeve didn't get you any love or respect. It's unfortunate that they felt the need to disassociate the Joes in the RoC continuity, but as you yourself admit, you can understand the reasoning behind it. It sucks, but if Joe refuses to change with the times, it'll end

I know we talked a little about your dissatisfaction over IDW's direction with the Joe team over in the comic forum, but I don't think this incarnation will be quite as dark or sinister. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see it, atleast.

I agree... I don't like it, but I understand. Joe will have to adapt. I was just supporting my statements. That there is very much an Anti-American attitude in other parts of the world. I too am going to reserve full judgment until I actually see it.

Sweetness
06-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I heard they're doing a whole year one of GI Joe. So Snakes wont have his mask on for episode or more. Sounds odd... but I shall be open minded if he stays with Scarlett. I think it would be awesome if they did the helicopter scene, but I dont think they will.

Sailor_Joe
06-04-2010, 05:38 AM
I
I think is more laziness than anti-military sentiment. They don't have to think up new material for foreign markets. No birthplaces, job descriptions instead of backstory. It means Hasbro just has to tranlate the toys and send them. Every kid gets the same story worldwide. It's easier for Hasbro, but kids won't be as invested as they used to be.

Sorry, it took me a bit to process your whole post and I agree... But I think it's much of this backstory that really was the appealing part about Joe. We were given just enough info to let our imaginations go nuts. I mean, in reality... If we just wanted some basic fully poseable "army men", we'd find ourselves on a BBI Elite Forces forum or some other G.I. Joe rip-off site.

minstrelboy
06-04-2010, 07:04 AM
I heard they're doing a whole year one of GI Joe. So Snakes wont have his mask on for episode or more. Sounds odd... but I shall be open minded if he stays with Scarlett. I think it would be awesome if they did the helicopter scene, but I dont think they will.

From the sounds of it, the general idea of GI Joe is there and will incorporate some of those elements, but it will most likely be a story none of us have seen before. Knowing that they're on the run from a mysterious threat makes it sound as if they're more A-Team (ex-military) than GI Joe (DOD funded), which also makes sense given the title of the new series. And also knowing that the writers are fans of Joe, they probably also realize how most fans reacted negatively to the idea of Scarlett paired with anyone else, so they'll probably keep that element in there later.

I personally like that this will start from the beginning, and will be a linear story for the most part. Resolute was cool as hell, but it was more an ending, and while I love it, I didn't quite get the point - unless all it was was a test to see how well a GI Joe cartoon would work in this day and age. Either way, I'm pretty psyched about it. 26 episodes. Bring it on.

Cobra80
06-04-2010, 08:46 AM
As for the story, I don't know. I just seem Joe becoming more and more non-military oriented. Sure they have rank and are "trained" via the military. But the unit itself is becoming less of it. My guess it's the sign of the times. In the 80s & 90s, being in the military was something to be proud of. Today, though being involved with the US Military is looked down on (globally). Hence the disbanding of the Joes as an "American Hero" in the Roc and hence the loose military affiliation in new stories.

"In all honesty, though... I don't like the direction they're going with story. I don't like my Joes as "Renegades". I want them as Heroes."

I couldn't have said it better. Joes should be Heroes not "Renegades." You also right, it's like Hasbro was to afraid to have the Joes in ROC affiliated with the US Military. Who cares, it's a movie based off of a comic book and cartoon. What's next, can't call the Marvel superhero Captain America, have to change America to Captain Courage or it will upset someone.

Shin Densetsu
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Snake Eyes is supposed to talk too, at least in the 1st season, I think they will show how a catastrophic event took away his ability to talk. In ROC it was never explained, in Resolute it was due to a sniper's bullet severing his vocal cords. I wonder how it will be this time. IMHO it will be closer to the comics/Resolute than movie.

"In all honesty, though... I don't like the direction they're going with story. I don't like my Joes as "Renegades". I want them as Heroes."

I couldn't have said it better. Joes should be Heroes not "Renegades." You also right, it's like Hasbro was to afraid to have the Joes in ROC affiliated with the US Military. Who cares, it's a movie based off of a comic book and cartoon. What's next, can't call the Marvel superhero Captain America, have to change America to Captain Courage or it will upset someone.

I have a feeling that despite the Joes being branded Renegades, they are still heroes similar to the A-Team. Actually, to me, the 1st thing I thought of was how the Jugglers in the Marvel books were trying to undermine the Joes despite the Joes always being called upon to do their dirty work and fight for the right reasons.

blackrazor1
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Snake Eyes is supposed to talk too, at least in the 1st season, I think they will show how a catastrophic event took away his ability to talk. In ROC it was never explained, in Resolute it was due to a sniper's bullet severing his vocal cords. I wonder how it will be this time. IMHO it will be closer to the comics/Resolute than movie.

In the movie, he took a vow of silence. I don't think they fully explained why.

Troynos
06-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Shin hit it with the Jugglers comment. Look at the first storyline in the returning ARAH comic.

That's how the Joes are "renegades". They aren't bad by any means. Good guys on the run because they have to fight the evil system that has branded them as such.

It's "year one" in the sense that we get to see these characters develop. We get to see Snake-Eyes lose his voice.

To me that will have a much bigger impact then how we've always been introduced to him, post-injury.

Think about it...

We watch this guy and (possibly) his relationship with Scarlett develop. Maybe he's a joker, cocky, who knows.. but we get to hear him talk, get to see him develop and then BAM!! mid-season he loses his voice.

We get to see that happen. We get to see how it affects his character and the relationships with his fellow Joes.

From a writing standpoint, the stories are much greater and much better from that angle.

Also, they've storyboarded up to season 4 or 5. This is a continuing epic, not a bunch of one and done stories like Sunbow was.

Mint Condition
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM

If you bring your military ID you can get into the Great Texas G.I. Joe Show for free...

Sailor_Joe
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not as disinterested as I was with the development of RoC. I'm glad that actual fans (or at least people with some genuine knowledge of G.I. Joe) are involved. And the few screen shots we get look intriguing. The only downer (IMO) is the whole "Renegade" idea. Which, may not entirely be whims of those creating and quite possibly a result of Hasbro trying to take the Joes in a more "business friendly" direction.

*edit*
Shin - Thanks, I can see how that story works. Makes sense. I'm definitely looking forward to it nonetheless.

Mint Condition - Wish I could flex the card around. But I'm not in Texas. Does it work for retired military, too?

Jmacq1
06-04-2010, 02:33 PM
You know, the more I think about it, the more awesome this whole "year one" thing could be. But yeah, I think folks are taking this "Renegades" thing out of context. They're going to be pretty much the same squeaky-clean heroes we've always had (this show is still for kids after all), but they're "on the run" because Cobra has somehow managed to gain a position of power within/over the US Government (at least that's what I'm betting). Possibly even turning G.I. Joe into a kind of "resistance/freedom fighter" organization, which I think is an interesting and cool twist on it. At the very least the idea of Cobra being in a semi-permanent "upper hand" position and the Joes being forced to operate with less official backing and resources makes them even more heroic when they "win" despite their seeming disadvantages.

Seeing Snake-Eyes talk and have a normal face? Could be doubly awesome if they keep it somewhat mysterious as to who exactly is going to end up being Snake-Eyes (though I doubt they'll go this far).

Shin Densetsu
06-04-2010, 02:39 PM
At the very least the idea of Cobra being in a semi-permanent "upper hand" position and the Joes being forced to operate with less official backing and resources makes them even more heroic when they "win" despite their seeming disadvantages.

Seeing Snake-Eyes talk and have a normal face? Could be doubly awesome if they keep it somewhat mysterious as to who exactly is going to end up being Snake-Eyes (though I doubt they'll go this far).

It gives the antagonists the edge, and it has worked for Hasbro before(IDW's GI Joe books, Transformers Animated). Always more interesting if the bad guys have the edge(see Empire Strikes Back). Makes the story more interesting and gives the heroes more dramatic battles and obstacles to overcome.

Troynos
06-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I like when the badguys have the upper hand. It's kind of bland and boring when you know the good guys can just over power the bad.

Sailor_Joe
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
It gives the antagonists the edge, and it has worked for Hasbro before(IDW's GI Joe books, Transformers Animated). Always more interesting if the bad guys have the edge(see Empire Strikes Back). Makes the story more interesting and gives the heroes more dramatic battles and obstacles to overcome.

Quite true... The struggle of victory always makes for a good story.

WVMojo
06-04-2010, 03:33 PM
GI Joes as Renegades leads to an A-Team tie-in...at least in my 80's fantasy world where my old school gawd awful green BA fought along side my joes.

Ohio Duke
06-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I miss the idea of Real American Hero and that's what I like best. I like the Joes being upstanding soldiers with the whole white hat cowboy attitude. I also don't mind them telling my kids not to pick up live electric wires. Someone has to right? Also, I must throw up my support for Duke and Scarlett. Scarlett and Duke. I mean, Scarlett finally decided what she wanted, who are we to tell her no? Snake Eyes has Timber anyway, I'm sure he gets jealous.

Dantho
06-06-2010, 12:40 AM
I can't wait for this cartoon!

Mint Condition
06-06-2010, 03:04 AM
I also don't mind them telling my kids not to pick up live electric wires. Someone has to right?

Parents aren't good enough?

Sweetness
06-06-2010, 05:38 AM
I miss the idea of Real American Hero and that's what I like best. I like the Joes being upstanding soldiers with the whole white hat cowboy attitude. I also don't mind them telling my kids not to pick up live electric wires. Someone has to right? Also, I must throw up my support for Duke and Scarlett. Scarlett and Duke. I mean, Scarlett finally decided what she wanted, who are we to tell her no? Snake Eyes has Timber anyway, I'm sure he gets jealous.

No Scarlett belongs with Snake-Eyes- Larry Hama

lol gotta love him! :)

Trooper13
06-06-2010, 11:20 AM

No, I don't.

mattymatt
06-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Amen

i hear the new joe team is going to form committee after committee to discuss the cobra problem, than duke and hawk are going to have a run off inwhich half the ballots will be ignored, there will be a conspiracy involving the government which everyone will believe. cobra commanders gonna run for the president and win promising things like reform and health care.

but really though im excited ill just have to let my son know that those are fake american heroes you know like basketball players and football stars and that daddy and his friends are real heroes :) IMHO

mattymatt
06-06-2010, 11:30 AM

You could always tell them not to pick up the wires.........

Mazinger
06-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Renegades?

Are they going to be misunderstood outlaws with the big bad US government tracking them down...like the A-Team? lol

With all this PC crap I'm surprised a kid cartoon is called Renegades. Does Hasbro know the definition of that word? I mean....they won't even use the word "Terrorist" anymore, even when it's used to define the bad guy.

mattymatt
06-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Im pretty sure theres a Snake eyes Scarlet Sweetness love triangle planed for episode 5

Sailor_Joe
06-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Amen
but really though im excited ill just have to let my son know that those are fake american heroes you know like basketball players and football stars and that daddy and his friends are real heroes :) IMHO

Probably the best thing I've heard from you yet, Devil Dawg!

:P

Trooper13
06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Do we even know if this is going to be an American unit? Or is it going to be an international organization, as it was in RoC? I haven't read everything released on the toon yet, but I don't remember reading anything about their affiliation, funding, or sanction?

Sailor_Joe
06-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Do we even know if this is going to be an American unit? Or is it going to be an international organization, as it was in RoC? I haven't read everything released on the toon yet, but I don't remember reading anything about their affiliation, funding, or sanction?

That's a good question. And there's not alot of info out there. It seems that the direction of Hasbro is to make Joes an international unit. But who knows?

Sweetness
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
We know Snake-Eyes looks weak.

Angry.Android
06-09-2010, 06:25 PM
We know Snake-Eyes looks weak.

like fight club says "Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger"

Ohio Duke
06-11-2010, 04:13 AM
You could always tell them not to pick up the wires.........

I suppose I could own up to my kids and let them know the dangers of picking up live wires... I just thought Roadblock would eventually get to it. Cause, you know he has that cool voice and then he'd get to tell us that knowing was half the battle. It'd be pretty sweet.

minstrelboy
06-11-2010, 06:36 AM
I suppose I could own up to my kids and let them know the dangers of picking up live wires... I just thought Roadblock would eventually get to it. Cause, you know he has that cool voice and then he'd get to tell us that knowing was half the battle. It'd be pretty sweet.

"Body massage."

plague
06-26-2010, 08:24 PM
well, reading all this expecting to read about cartoons i was surprised to see our vets voicing their pinion on the situation (S). i want you guys and gals to know, i appreciate you every day. i was unable to join for resoans that don't matter here. BUT i love my country, i love my soldiers, and i wish we could return to the reagan years when "our" way of thinking was popular. to all the soldiers over seas i wish you a safe trip home and happy fourth of july (you provided it) and thank-you for inspiring books and franchises such as gi joe. the media is a hound and we ned all the help we can get. kudos, team.

Viperscout 7
06-26-2010, 09:13 PM
while I agree that GI Joes should be heroes, one of my favorite episodes of the sunbow days was the synthoid conspiracy. I think the Joes showed what they could do when their backs were to the wall. As far as this new show who's to say they won't change the subtitle in newer seasons. As far as GI Joe and military are concerned I read in a book (can't remember which one) that during times of open conflict Vietnam, Desert storm, etc. they go further away from it's military roots, which is why he became an adventurer and why the ARAHs started fighting space aliens.

VideoViper
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
As far as the Renegades title goes, like every other cartoon, the subtitle will probably change every season (like power rangers or Transformers). I like the year one appoarch as it opens the door to new storylines & twists on older ones.

I think the show will be in good hands if the Resolute team is also involved with the production of Renegades. (Not sure if its the same company.)

My fan script:
Home - VideoJim's Webspace (http://videojim.viviti.com/)

cl1ff53c0rd
06-30-2010, 11:38 AM
With all the iterations that have recently surfaced (RESOLUTE)(RoC)(PoC), I'm not even sure what G.I.Joe is about anymore...the corny Sunbow Series is the only reference I "like" and hold fond memories of...Of course I don't want a retread of that, but I'm not even sure what they're trying to sell us anymore...

Prince of Fire & Thunder
07-02-2010, 10:25 AM
With all the iterations that have recently surfaced (RESOLUTE)(RoC)(PoC), I'm not even sure what G.I.Joe is about anymore...the corny Sunbow Series is the only reference I "like" and hold fond memories of...Of course I don't want a retread of that, but I'm not even sure what they're trying to sell us anymore...
???

Toys, sir.

Joseph
07-02-2010, 10:47 AM
People who join the military to be thanked for it, are doing it for the wrong reasons.