PDA

View Full Version : Snow Serpents "chutes"

Steel_rain501
05-28-2010, 12:57 AM
I am doing some Snow Serpent customs and started wondering why all the pics of Snow Serpents have the chute packs still on. During ground operations. I would think they would disgard them or something seeing as it would be extra weight or not wearing them at all. I see no benefit of wearing it during ground ops. Do you guys think They actual wear the chute during ground ops or its just for show. To say "HEY I am a Snow Serpent. Don't forget that! Jerk..."
(I think I remember them not wearing them in the Sunbow series.)

Also, For that Matter where in the hell are there ammo pouches.
has a kid i really didn't care but, know I wonder about these things. lol

CrimsonGuard101
05-28-2010, 01:00 AM
It's just character design asthetic I am sure, to remind us that they are arctic paratroopers, my thoughts on it. I think it's thier emergency/backup chute anyway. Its GI JOE its not supposed to make too much real world sense lol...and they use that place where the sun don't shine to store all that extra ammo instead of pouches...but since they use laser guns in the cartoon they really don't need ammo clips now do they :)

Daver
05-28-2010, 03:27 PM
That's actually a very good remark.
My best guess is that maybe they fold their chutes after the jump to save them for later use ( as camo for a basecamp or windscreen ? )
Other then that I have no other idea...

NeoDragonKnight
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
It is strange but Im sure they being in the middle of no where for ops they can use it for other things like parts of a shelter or sheets.

Jmacq1
05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Or a quick decelerator if you slide off the side of a glacier, I suppose.

But yes, in survival situations, keeping bits of your parachute is often quite helpful. Just ask Bear Grylls.

TYPHUS
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM
hahaha,man thats so random but totally obvious!!well spotted mate!!maybe they keep a blankie in there for extra warmth on nippy nights??

Steel_rain501
05-28-2010, 04:47 PM
It's just character design asthetic I am sure, to remind us that they are arctic paratroopers, my thoughts on it. I think it's thier emergency/backup chute anyway. Its GI JOE its not supposed to make too much real world sense lol...and they use that place where the sun don't shine to store all that extra ammo instead of pouches...but since they use laser guns in the cartoon they really don't need ammo clips now do they :)

I know G.I. joe is for fun. Though sometimes it's fun to think, "Why is this there" "What purpose does it serve". That is true they do use laser guns. ;)

It is strange but Im sure they being in the middle of no where for ops they can use it for other things like parts of a shelter or sheets.

There backpack has a bedroll/shelter on the back of it. Sheets would make since but, Would a chute be any good at acting like a shelter or sheets in arctic conditions?

Angry.Android
05-28-2010, 04:56 PM
There backpack has a bedroll/shelter on the back of it. Sheets would make since but, Would a chute be any good at acting like a shelter or sheets in arctic conditions?

I would imagine if used as a windscreen it would probably be helpful, might reduce the effects of windchill. I would think, if it were colored appropriately, it would be more effective as camo tarp.

:: shrug::

TYPHUS
05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
to be fair im kinda hazy on that whole artic paratrooper thing as well.i mean the artic is big and very flat with horrific high speed winds and the weather is treacherous at the least,chances of dropping into that successfully???? id say slim......

and how about this other joe classic blooper....tunnel rat carrying a three ton backpack and 5ft long heavy machine gun....mmmmm thats gonna be a BIG help in a 3ftx3ft tunnel isnt it??

Xenos
05-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I would say that when you have a Snow Serpent fully decked out in everythign he came with, that is what he would look like leaving the Cobra HQ. As the mission moves on, his apperance would change. For example, after he jumps in he would get rid of his chute, and after he uses his rocket launcher (which I always assumed was a single use item) he would discard that as well.

Tanksmasher
05-28-2010, 05:51 PM
It's a drag chute to slow them down when on their skis! :)

Jmacq1
05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
and how about this other joe classic blooper....tunnel rat carrying a three ton backpack and 5ft long heavy machine gun....mmmmm thats gonna be a BIG help in a 3ftx3ft tunnel isnt it??

But at least the backpack had flashlights on it and his machinegun looked like it had a nightvision scope!

Though yes, even as a kid, Tunnel Rat's gear while awesome due to it's large size, made no sense at all to me except the demo-bag.

minstrelboy
05-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I thought it was like a fanny pack, to keep their lunchables in.

Actually, I always assumed this was how they were heading out, before getting dropped over the tundra in some vast arctic wasteland. Problem is, when you take it off the figure, they look malnourished. They definitely need a more functional combat harness. I think I'm gonna throw a BBI parachute on one of mine to see how cool it looks, and try some other rigs out. Might be a good LBC in the works.

Derek2783
05-28-2010, 11:37 PM
It's in case when he's climbing up an inverse incline way high up, if he loses his grip, he won't die.

Steelgrave
05-29-2010, 12:01 AM
maybe they keep a blankie in there for extra warmth on nippy nights??

They can magically pull out a Tauntaun to keep themselves warm. lol

AirborneRigger
05-29-2010, 12:03 AM
It's a drag chute to slow them down when on their skis! :)

With it being on the front, it would actually be more of a sail to make them go faster. ;)

AirborneRigger
05-29-2010, 12:14 AM
As a former paratrooper and a parachute rigger, I know from experience that the material that the parachutes are made out of would be useless as a shelter in arctic conditions. Hell, it wouldn't even make a good blanket. The material is 1.1 ounce ripstop nylon and extremely thin. I have cut through pieces of canopy with a sewing needle.

And from experience, those damn harnesses, especially with the reserve still attached, are hell on the jewels and cause chaffing beyond belief. There's no way in hell I'd hump miles and miles a day still wearing that crap. It's bad enough walking to the bird that's parked a couple hundred yards from the hangar.

The reserves do make okay pillows while packed though.

laurenluna1977
05-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Didn't you watch the cartoon? All Cobras have their chutes on them all the time, just in case. Follow the link fir proof:

Adult Swim Video : Robot Chicken : Wall of Heros (http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/wall-of-heros.html)

It's Hasbro that was too cheap to include chutes for the other Cobras, except the Snow Serpents.