PDA

View Full Version : Did Marvel/Sunbow forsee Micheal Moore

GI C
05-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Not trying to be political here but I was curious if Sunbow forsaw Micheal Moore.I remember the episode with Hector Rimarez(forgive the spelling)trying to uncover if Cobra was not a threat.I remember the character of Arnold the peacenik that was tagging along.For these who never saw the episode Soiler alert,Arnold was really the baronese in disguise.The Arold character now does ressemble Micheal Moore. at leat in my mind.Again,not trying to be political.

BigFore
05-21-2010, 07:58 AM
You know, I was watching this very episode not too long ago, and I kept trying to figure out who Arnold reminded me of. It was killing me that I couldn't figure that out. And you're right it is Michael Moore. Thanks for clearing that up hah!

I wonder if he was even active in those days?

cobralalalala!
05-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Actually, I thought of MM when I saw that episode as well.

Headman
05-21-2010, 09:04 AM
At the risk of sounding political.... Micheal Moore is poorly groomed and gross to look at.

minstrelboy
05-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Maybe, maybe not. He's been active since the early 1970's, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the writers already knew about him.

zedhatch
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Of course MM is somewhat of a characature himself and very well the makers of the sunbow series were just playing off that sort of stereotypical ideal. Look in film history there are tons of MM clones.

CVdelgado
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
dont worry guys this thread is the exact opposite of politics. this would fall under the catagory of nonsense.

unfortunately nonsense often passes for politics in american discourse...

sparks007
05-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Life immitates art ,so maybe Michael Moore used to watch Gi Joe and read the marvel comic series as a teen.

GI C
05-21-2010, 10:00 AM
dont worry guys this thread is the exact opposite of politics. this would fall under the catagory of nonsense.

unfortunately nonsense often passes for politics in american discourse...

As a matter of fact it is nonsense.LOL!!!!

Sailor_Joe
05-21-2010, 01:20 PM
I've often found that G.I. Joe was prophetic in many ways. Think about it... In the early 80s we weren't too worried about a global terrorist organization. We were in the wake of the Vietnam War. It was all about busting up "those damn commies". Today we're actually at war with global terrorist organization. It's as if we were almost conditioned to fight terrorism long before it was ever thought as a major problem.

"Fighting for freedom, wherever there's trouble..."

I think I can speak for a handful of us when I say that some of us even joined the military right out of high school with thoughts of the Joes in our minds. I mean, we knew that the Joe universe was fiction but at the same time, there was a real element there. The things that the Joes fight for are the same things that real servicemen (and women) fight for today.

Brcall
05-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I've often found that G.I. Joe was prophetic in many ways. Think about it... In the early 80s we weren't too worried about a global terrorist organization. We were in the wake of the Vietnam War. It was all about busting up "those damn commies". Today we're actually at war with global terrorist organization. It's as if we were almost conditioned to fight terrorism long before it was ever thought as a major problem.

"Fighting for freedom, wherever there's trouble..."

I think I can speak for a handful of us when I say that some of us even joined the military right out of high school with thoughts of the Joes in our minds. I mean, we knew that the Joe universe was fiction but at the same time, there was a real element there. The things that the Joes fight for are the same things that real servicemen (and women) fight for today.

Or Cobra could have inspired them. I bet there's a Dr Mindbender searching for the DNA of all history's greatest conquerers. O.o

Sailor_Joe
05-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Or Cobra could have inspired them. I bet there's a Dr Mindbender searching for the DNA of all history's greatest conquerers. O.o

Not likely, but cloning is very real and very controversial. Not exactly something you were hearing about alot of in the 80s.

Again, food for thought.

cl1ff53c0rd
05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm not too sure about that...I KNOW for sure I heard alot about cloning in the 80's, it just was in sci-fi books and film, not the evening news...

Brcall
05-21-2010, 03:45 PM
On the contrary, cloning/DNA was a big topic back in the '80s in Sci Fi. The book that The Secret of NIMH was based on was published in 1971, while the movie itself was released in '82.

DNA profiling was also invented in 1984, although it wasn't widely used until into the '90s.

Sailor_Joe
05-21-2010, 04:09 PM
On the contrary, cloning/DNA was a big topic back in the '80s in Sci Fi. The book that The Secret of NIMH was based on was published in 1971, while the movie itself was released in '82.

DNA profiling was also invented in 1984, although it wasn't widely used until into the '90s.

I realize that. But in real world applications, you didn't hear much of it in the 80s outside of sci-fi. DNA was a very new discovery.

Brcall
05-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I realize that. But in real world applications, you didn't hear much of it in the 80s outside of sci-fi. DNA was a very new discovery.

My comment about a real life Dr. Mindbender was a joke. I was just trying to be goofy by implying AQ was making a Serpentor. =)

You're right though, outside of science fiction there wasn't much going on.

fireflyguy
05-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't see this as a thread about politics. I see it more as a thread about entertainment, because I don't consider MM to be political even though he thinks he is. Actually, I don't even see him as being entertaining......

Sailor_Joe
05-21-2010, 04:30 PM
My comment about a real life Dr. Mindbender was a joke. I was just trying to be goofy by implying AQ was making a Serpentor. =)

You're right though, outside of science fiction there wasn't much going on.

No worries...

;)

ZombieSnake
05-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I recently saw the episode in question and thought the exact same thing. Not being a big fan of MM I also thought it was hilarious when, naturally, the whole thing turned out to be a Cobra plot.

RolandofGilead
05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Not trying to be political here but I was curious if Sunbow forsaw Micheal Moore.I remember the episode with Hector Rimarez(forgive the spelling)trying to uncover if Cobra was not a threat.I remember the character of Arnold the peacenik that was tagging along.For these who never saw the episode Soiler alert,Arnold was really the baronese in disguise.The Arold character now does ressemble Micheal Moore. at leat in my mind.Again,not trying to be political.

I don't know if it's youth, or your personal political leanings that have you barking up the wrong tree, but Hector Ramirez with that hair and mustache was supposed to be Geraldo Rivera fresh off his "Al Capone's Vaults" fiasco. I may have just been a kid, but even I knew who he was supposed to be back then.

Lt. Faceless
05-21-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know if it's youth, or your personal political leanings that have you barking up the wrong tree, but Hector Ramirez with that hair and mustache was supposed to be Geraldo Rivera fresh off his "Al Capone's Vaults" fiasco. I may have just been a kid, but even I knew who he was supposed to be back then.

That may be true,but hes not talking about Hector.Hes talking about the Arnold person.

RolandofGilead
05-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Then I misread the post and I apologize.

Brcall
05-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Does anyone remember the name of the episode? I'd like to watch it. =)

Weezus
05-21-2010, 06:15 PM
for the record i think its incredibly ... incredibly retarded that on a site about a branch of the govt, which is frequented almost solely by people over thirty there can be no political discussion.

mommy and daddy are afraid the children will fight. lol

im sorry but that is pathetic.

as for OP i think gi joe predicted a great deal of things.

how much do cobra and big oil industry have in common?

or destro and selling armaments to guerilla fighters that are secretly funded to perform coups?

gi joe was a thinly veiled warning against the evils of government.

its disappointing one of the most interesting aspects of the franchise cant be discussed among adults.

fireflyguy
05-21-2010, 06:33 PM

I watched that! I remember being so disappointed that they didn't find anything. Talk about one of the biggest media failures in history!

Lifeline 71
05-22-2010, 12:12 PM
The episode with Hector Ramirez was called "20 Questions". There was a lot of stuff that was forseen, like embedded media (Scoop), chemical/biological warfare (Airtight). Even the whole concept of G.I. Joe-a counter terrorist group fighting a large terrorist organization, not just the Cold War US vs. the USSR.

GI C
05-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I think I created a moster here.Sorry.

Gyre-Viper
05-23-2010, 09:47 PM
discussed among adults.

this is why politics is a no no.

because this isn't possible.

the 'adult' and the 'discussion' goes out really quick around
here when it comes to TOYS. what do you think would happen
in a political thread. hahahahaha.

CVdelgado
05-23-2010, 09:49 PM
yeah, hector ramirez was definately supposed to be geraldo rivera, but i think hector ramirez is a better journalist.

i love it when he reads the riot act to cobra command about their recent exploits. it sounds funny with all those crazy plots strung together.

these guys are comparing another character to MM, not ramirez.

CVdelgado
05-23-2010, 09:50 PM
for the record i think its incredibly ... Incredibly retarded that on a site about a branch of the govt, which is frequented almost solely by people over thirty there can be no political discussion.

Mommy and daddy are afraid the children will fight. Lol

As for op i think gi joe predicted a great deal of things.

How much do cobra and big oil industry have in common?

Or destro and selling armaments to guerilla fighters that are secretly funded to perform coups?

Gi joe was a thinly veiled warning against the evils of government.

Its disappointing one of the most interesting aspects of the franchise cant be discussed among adults.

word.

Mint Condition
05-24-2010, 01:14 AM
I love that episode. When I rewatched it I didn't realize how complex some of the stories were in that old cartoon. Seriously, they didn't write that episode for kids. I guarantee kids didn't give a shit if G.I. Joe was financially necessary for the U.S. taxpayers. So the fact they wrote it at all is pretty amazing to me.

Imperial_Ozma
05-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Actually, I don't even see him as being entertaining......

Canadian Bacon is an entertaining movie.

for the record i think its incredibly ... incredibly retarded that on a site about a branch of the govt, which is frequented almost solely by people over thirty there can be no political discussion.

as for OP i think gi joe predicted a great deal of things.

how much do cobra and big oil industry have in common?

or destro and selling armaments to guerilla fighters that are secretly funded to perform coups?

gi joe was a thinly veiled warning against the evils of government.

its disappointing one of the most interesting aspects of the franchise cant be discussed among adults.

I'm in my 20s not 30s thank you. But I do agree.

I love that episode. When I rewatched it I didn't realize how complex some of the stories were in that old cartoon. Seriously, they didn't write that episode for kids. I guarantee kids didn't give a shit if G.I. Joe was financially necessary for the U.S. taxpayers. So the fact they wrote it at all is pretty amazing to me.

Hmm there's a lot of political commentary in the GI Joe series... Every writer tries to shift the viewers to their viewpoints, and there are lots of references in the series that kids wouldn't get but parents would. Do you think the two part season 1 Finale with all it's references to the BBC series "The Prisoner" (the original not the recent remake) was something most kids got?

What's funny is that the political commentary in the Cartoon is almost at direct odds with the political commentary in the comics.

Shogi
05-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Past behavior is a good indicator of future behavior, may I divert your attention to any thread about the Rise of Cobra Movie :)

If we fans can't stop throwing insults at each other over a movie, you think we can over real life issues?

As for Arnold, What would you call him? Activist, Producer, News Informant? (Forgetting the fact that it's really the Baroness in disguise)

Zanzibar
05-24-2010, 08:03 PM
I've never heard of Michael Moore til 1989 with Roger and Me.