PDA

View Full Version : Roughnecks: Starship Troopers the series

minstrelboy
05-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Anybody seen this? I just found these on Netflix. They look pretty decent with some cool design elements, although it's animation style is only a little better than GI Joe VvV.

But it got me to thinking; why couldn't they make a Colonial Marines animated series? If done properly, I feel it could be a sleeper hit.

Also, the I wish the Hellboy animated series would continue.

Same with the Amazing Screw-On Head.

JediKnutt
05-18-2010, 08:41 AM
I bought the full series on DVD a few years ago and was very disappointed. It ends with a huge cliffhanger and was cancelled so the DVD "complete series" is incomplete. As a whole though, it is a pretty good show. The animation isn't bad for when it was released. You can look around online and find the writers ideas for the final season which is pretty interesting.

Immortal_Joker
05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Next to Beast Wars this was the 2nd best CGI series I have ever seen. When Star Wars the Old Republic is released next year I was contemplating on creating the Roughnecks as a Tribute to the legendary Razak's Roughnecks from the series.

Asphalt
05-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I have grabbed a few via netflix and I have enjoyed them. Though if I remember right, arent they fairly stand alone adventures?

blackrazor1
05-18-2010, 09:30 AM
If you like CGI animation, you should check out The New Captain Scarlet. It's an update of the old Gerry Anderson show. I think it holds up pretty well. It also has some pretty nice vehicle designs.

Searching Videos for "new captain scarlet" | Veoh (http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/new+captain+scarlet)#

blackrazor1
05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
I have grabbed a few via netflix and I have enjoyed them. Though if I remember right, arent they fairly stand alone adventures?

They're organized into campaigns. You can watch them individually, but there is an overall story arc.

boff123
05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
i remember it, some bugs could go into your brain and control you or something like that. they eventually made a 3rd film too but along with the 2nd film, they both sucked hard.

Gunzlingr
05-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I used to watch it once in awhile, a fun series.

Kungfuguy
05-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Underrated and superior stuff. The best non-joe military toon ever. Makes the live action movie sequals look like crap.

ChaplainAsst
05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
The problem that I remember with Roughnecks was people moving didn't seem natural. But at the time, the animation was state of the art. I know a lot of people don't like The Clone Wars, but the movement of characters has improved so much from Roughnecks.

RolandofGilead
05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
I loved Roughnecks. At the time it was my favorite show, period. The never resolved cliff hanger did piss me off back then. Is the series still available on DVD?

cl1ff53c0rd
05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I've found 2 Episodes on DVD at Big Lots for $3, The Klendathu Campaign, and another I'm not in the mood of digging thru DVD's to find out...Point is, they can be found as Individual Episodes in the massive DVD stacks at Big Lots...

Cdt Weasel
05-18-2010, 04:25 PM
I own the 'compelte' series, but havent gotten around to watching it all. Did enjoy it when it originally aired. Won a semi-decently painted miniature of one of the infantry off ebay, seller claimed to be one of the animators for the show. Never managed to get his name though.

General Hawk
05-18-2010, 04:30 PM
LOVE this series, and it's one of the reasons why I'm so fired up about Renegades. Series developer on Roughnecks is also in the driver's seat for Renegades, too...

Justin

Zefram
05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
LOVE this series, and it's one of the reasons why I'm so fired up about Renegades. Series developer on Roughnecks is also in the driver's seat for Renegades, too...

Justin

Interesting.

MrClean
05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
It was a great series that got cancelled before the last campaign, which would have wrapped it up. So prepare for that disappointment.

MunkyX
05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
It's a good show. It had great CGI for it's time. It was based a lot more on the book than the movie(s) and yeah... makes the movie sequels look like utter crap. I'll agree with the cancellation comments as well... way too soon.

jroosa030
05-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Its available to watch for free on Crackle.com, if you don't mind short commercial breaks, along with all 3 seasons of Max Steel.
Very well written, very ambitious, and the animation was very quirky.
The problem with the series is they started airing the episodes before all of them were finished, causing them to repeat episodes out of sequence, and get behind schedule. There were syndication problems too. There were 4 clip shows made to finish the contract of episodes. Rumor is that the final battle was written and recorded, but never animated.
I have found all but the first DVD at Big Lots for $3 each over the past year.