PDA

View Full Version : JoeCon 2010 ... meh?

BEAM
05-03-2010, 02:18 PM
So I went to Joe Con on Sunday and I have to say I was a little let down. I thought this convention was a celebration of all things GI Joe. And while the toy end was heavily represented, there was little effort to include aspects of the GI Joe universe: namely the cartoons, movie, and comics.

IDW Publishing has done a tremendous job of getting the property back on track and putting out some great books. But instead of thier involvement being recognized by the organizers, they were not mentioned at all on the convention website. If anyone visited the IDW booth, they got a chance to meet Robert Atkins. Luckily I knew ahead of time from a friend he was there and was able to grab some books from my collection to get signed. Had IDW been promoted more (really at all) there might have been an opportunity to bring in more comic fans, who may not be action figure fans, had IDW been advertised more.

The guest list was a little disappointing as well. There were many RI-based toy designers on hand, but in my time there, not many people visited with them. Perpaps the panels were full but they got no attention on the floor. Why not try to include more artists (Herb Trimpe or MD. Bright who drew the original Marvel run), maybe some voice actors from the cartoon (original or Resolute), or actors from the movie. As a fan of these works, I would have enjoyed meeting the creative people behind these projects.

I asked the organizers about a month before the convention if they considered bringing these people in, as well as Sgt Slaughter, and thier response was that they were still working on the guest list but that I would find the advertised guests very interesting. Well nothing changed in that time and the list was the same almost from day one when it was announced.

I was excited to meet Larry Hama and do give the organizers credit for bringing him in. I can't remember a time when he has been in New England so this was an opporutnity that I could not pass.

Also, it seemed like some of the dealer tables were way overpriced. That isn't somehting controlled by the organizeres but in a room full of competition, figures weren't cheap. Once being blown out for $3 at Target were selling for 2-3x that price.

Not being a cosplay person, nor being that interested in the design process of the toys left me little to enjoy about the con. I wanted more recognition of the other properties outside of the figures. BotCon several years ago in Providence had Peter Cullen, several IDW artists, and musician Stan Bush (The Touch from the animated soundtrack!)

Reading the boards, it seems like people had fun meeting and hanging together but I haven't heard much positive or negative about the con itself.

What do other people's impressions of the convention, guests, dealers, etc.

Tankster
05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
still wished i could have gone...

Black Llama
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I guess it all depends on what you were looking for from the con. I went down for Saturday with certain expectations and had all of them blown away. I'm mostly a toy guy when it comes to Joes. I enjoy the cartoons/comics, but when I think of GI Joe, I think of a 3 3/4 toy in my hand.

I had a chance to:
Talk with fellow, like minded collectors
Talk with folks on the Hasbro development/product team
Talk with people from the boards here I've spent the last 2 years getting to know.

The prices on the floor seemed fair to me. As a matter of fact, there was not a single item I bought, that I made a cash offer for, that wasn't a square deal.

I guess the real questions is, what were you looking at getting out of Joecon?

Troynos
05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Being in RI should have been an indication that it would be heavily focused on the toys and the design aspects of them.

RI is where Hasbro is after all. And it is a once in a lifetime to get that close to the home turf.

So it made sense that the toys were the main focus because this was a unique chance to get most of those people under the same roof.

It's a challenge to organize guests to show up at events. They start with a large list and then whittle it down to those that can show up.

The cartoon got the most time at the Hasbro panel.

IDW had a panel.

Besides, I went down to meet 'Tankers and had a great time. I hit 2 panels, spent 30 mins on the dealer floor, lol.

Gyre-Viper
05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
I guess the real questions is, what were you looking at getting out of Joecon?

this.

I thought it was perfect.

but then again I had my goggles in everyone's business.
hahahahahahaa.

fireflyguy
05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm mostly a toy guy when it comes to Joes. I enjoy the cartoons/comics, but when I think of GI Joe, I think of a 3 3/4 toy in my hand.

This is where I'm at. I read the comics and watched the cartoon as a kid, but when it came down to it, it was all about the toys.

Realistically, I'll probably never get to go to a Joecon, unless it just happens to coincide with a date and destination that we are vacationing at.

wheeljaxx
05-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I enjoyed my time there, but was let down at attendance. I like seeingbig crowds enjoying the same things. Perhaps a Cartoon or movie room, more adverts for the comics would have been nice, yes. I felt it was toy lopsided as well, and not as much eye candy as Botcon had in the same room. seems like there was less tables.

I spent most of my time at the artist booths, Logan was awesome to chat with, and he was kind enough to draw (yes draw, not sketch) for free, to anyone who wanted a piece. I ended up giving him my Baroness winning print.

I did find the prices on alot of figures high, and i'm in Canada, where we get high priced figures at the norm, and some stuff was priced HIGHER than what we pay. that was a big let down for me cuz there was figures i'd have picked up.

I came away with what i wanted, alot of awesome art, and G.I.JOE #1 autographed by Larry, but it would have been nice to get some voice actor autographs and maybe even movie actor autographs as well.

JoeMama
05-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I wish I could have gone...
but alas..
finals.
boo.
education is over rated.

Tragic Habits
05-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Like BL said, it's what your looking to get out of it. I had an Idea of stuff I wanted to get there, and there were no POC toys, No resolute packs, and no was selling the DVD foot locker, however I still managed to spend all my money and have the best time I've ever had at a con. I'm glad it wasn't overcrowded. I do like the idea of a room where maybe they show the cartoons and maybe the fan films on a loop, where you could hang out and cool off.

SNAKE EYES
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
It was a great time the people I met made the experience not the events or exhibits.

Bando Gora
05-03-2010, 05:13 PM
I live in Providence. I grew up in Pawtucket. So, yeah, it's about the figures to me and although I am interested in comics and cartoons, I really just wanted to dig through piles of figures and see the next line with my own eyes.

I can understand how someone who travelled awhile could be disappointed a little.
I didn't catch any panels and I don't like the idea of sitting in a conference room and watching slide shows. That stuff should be presented in the main space for all to see without time constraints. Video Loop. Whatever.

I strongly agree that there should be video/relaxation rooms at these things. It'd be nice to sit down around fellow collectors and talk and play around with your new toys. Also, the booths were set up rather oddly. First thing I saw when I walked in were star wars figures. (and regardless of the safety tape, I kept tripping over that hasbro display stand)

Prices were indeed high on packaged figures. For instance, vehicle sets that are still being sold at marshals for $12.99 at most booths for 20 to 30 bucks. I would never pay $15 for a ROC figure. (especially one that's still in stores)
However, if you ignored the dealer BS, and you remembered that you could have sat at home and bought any of it online, you would enjoy yourself a little more and find what the real deals were. (plus no shipping fees)

Ninja Ku (MOC) $6
3 B.A.T.s, Red ninja, Zartan (loose,complete) $20 for 5 figures
Black Resolute Cobra Commander (loose,complete) $5
Dr. Mindbender, ROC Destro (loose) $5 for 2 figures

If there were single figures you wanted from multi-packs, you could get them for a decent price.

Oh, and seeing that low-light figure was a great surprise for everyone I think.

Sorry to hear that some people were not satisfied. I, personally, was overwhelmed. Like that dream that I'm sure we all have where you're in a toy store and they have everything you want and you're digging through piles of figures, except you don't wake up. I had not been to a convention since botcon 2000. I don't spend too much time on collecting, it is a hobby after all.

shawntur
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I went down on Saturday and had a good time. Prices were a little high but I was able to get the rest of my parts to complete my defiant, USS Flagg, and my Terrordrome. I have only been to the 2007 convention and had a very bad experience at the mall while I was there. I really wanted a skystriker but the only ones I found were with the box and I ended up paying $75.00 for it. I only wanted to spend a max of $50.00 but there were none so I spent more than anticipated. I didn't have much cash but I noticed this time only a couple dealers took credit cards. None of the dealers that had what I wanted took CC so they lost out on alot of my money. Anyways I had a great time and just wish I could have gone for the whole time.

Roshan
05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
So I went to Joe Con on Sunday and I have to say I was a little let down. I thought this convention was a celebration of all things GI Joe. And while the toy end was heavily represented, there was little effort to include aspects of the GI Joe universe: namely the cartoons, movie, and comics.

IDW Publishing has done a tremendous job of getting the property back on track and putting out some great books. But instead of thier involvement being recognized by the organizers, they were not mentioned at all on the convention website. If anyone visited the IDW booth, they got a chance to meet Robert Atkins. Luckily I knew ahead of time from a friend he was there and was able to grab some books from my collection to get signed. Had IDW been promoted more (really at all) there might have been an opportunity to bring in more comic fans, who may not be action figure fans, had IDW been advertised more.

The guest list was a little disappointing as well. There were many RI-based toy designers on hand, but in my time there, not many people visited with them. Perpaps the panels were full but they got no attention on the floor. Why not try to include more artists (Herb Trimpe or MD. Bright who drew the original Marvel run), maybe some voice actors from the cartoon (original or Resolute), or actors from the movie. As a fan of these works, I would have enjoyed meeting the creative people behind these projects.

I asked the organizers about a month before the convention if they considered bringing these people in, as well as Sgt Slaughter, and thier response was that they were still working on the guest list but that I would find the advertised guests very interesting. Well nothing changed in that time and the list was the same almost from day one when it was announced.

I was excited to meet Larry Hama and do give the organizers credit for bringing him in. I can't remember a time when he has been in New England so this was an opporutnity that I could not pass.

Also, it seemed like some of the dealer tables were way overpriced. That isn't somehting controlled by the organizeres but in a room full of competition, figures weren't cheap. Once being blown out for $3 at Target were selling for 2-3x that price.

Not being a cosplay person, nor being that interested in the design process of the toys left me little to enjoy about the con. I wanted more recognition of the other properties outside of the figures. BotCon several years ago in Providence had Peter Cullen, several IDW artists, and musician Stan Bush (The Touch from the animated soundtrack!)

Reading the boards, it seems like people had fun meeting and hanging together but I haven't heard much positive or negative about the con itself.

What do other people's impressions of the convention, guests, dealers, etc.

It's always more about the toys than anything else. That's not just this con, it's every con. Not to say that other aspects of joe are not represented, but the majority of people there are there cause they collect the toys.

Also a lot of the problem is you went on a Sunday. Everything's winding down. Those designers you said no one were talking to? They got their ears talked off Friday and Saturday. After a while the people who care about that stuff run out of things to ask.

The guest list for cartoonists and comic book artists is always a bit less lackluster than action figure guests. But to say they didn't add anyone in the month leading up would be wrong, they were adding a lot of guests who were action figure related all the way up to the week before. But that again I could see you overlooking giving the earlier complaint about toy focused.

Figure prices being too high? Again, you got there one Sunday. The most amazing deals flew out the door in the first 30 minutes on Friday. Even from the club itself on Saturday you could find cases of ROC figures for 12-15 bucks per case. Deals are everywhere at that con. That being said, there are a lot of dealers who are at every con who act as if the people who attend the con are complete morons when they price their figures. But those are in the minority at joecon.

cmderinchief
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
I think that may be the difference between a general admission attendee and full event attendee. My impression of BotCon was MEH when it was in Cincy, then again, I was only there for one day and I am not much of a TF fan. Sure, there have been better cons - New Orleans and Atlanta come to mind, but all in all I had a fantastic time. I couldn't find a darn thing I had to buy since I finished picking up the TRU 97-98 stuff last year. I tried....but I have all the modern era and movie stuff I want. I didn't have anything specific in mind for RAH so I looked around to whatever tickled my fancy - and didn't see anything I HAD to have. What the con does for me every year is the awesome time meeting my friends from years past. I can't put a price tag on that.

misfit1015
05-04-2010, 09:05 PM
It was a great time the people I met made the experience not the events or exhibits.

this...even though I was only there for one day.

Troynos
05-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Same. Was only there for one day and it was a great time. It was the people. I barely touched the dealer room and only did 2 panels.

JoeMama
05-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I want to go... so bad. some day.

atomsmasher
05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
You know I have no idea what to think about this. I mean I went down only on Saturday and I had a great time. I spent well over 3 hours in the dealer room. I wonder how you guys only spent 30 minutes in that room. I spent 2 1/2 Hours just looking at the shops. If you didn't go to the first place on the left of the door they were deals to be had. I found comic packs that I have never seen in person for ten bucks but didn't buy any. I found and plugged much needed gaps. I got Cobra air Trooper, Scarlet, Gung Ho, and something else all for $4. Dollars a piece.

The Gi Joe Club was AWESOME! I kick myself for not checking that out. I got a everywhere else 30 dollars Doc for 8 bucks. I was super excited about that. The Red Shadow staff car is awesome for 34 dollars.

I spent 30 minutes to look at the new toyline. I think POC Is awesome and I can't wait to go crazy on it. I mean to me it's definitely a Troop building series. I can't wait for the two lines. The only toy I wasn't crazy about was the TRU exclusive and Shadow Tracker.

I am sorry you were disappointed but I loved it. I also think perhaps the problem may have been its Rhode Island. We are small limited space for all.

poptart13
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM

you speak the truth my friend.

the best parts in my mind were the tour and the people. i was EXTREMELY happy at the convention floor. 2 larry hama autographs, all the new poc figures, some really awesome vendors... most of who priced things fairly i felt, and the few who didn't, just didn't get any of my money.

overall an amazing experience in my opinion.

5h4rK
05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I was so happy to be there man.. I've found a MIB Killer WHALE, a MIB Rolling Thunder signed by the designer Guy Cassiday and a MIB Moray Hydrofoil and a ton of army builders. The Hasbro Tour was a blast too!! Great show, I'm going to be there for the next one for sure!!

General Hawk
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Exactly! The Con to me has always been about the people first, and the "people" second, if that makes any sense. Sure, it's cool to talk to voice actors, artists, or even wrestlers, but I might spend 10 minutes with those guys. I spend HOURS with everyone else.

Hanging out with guys like Destro, SNAKE EYES and Gyre-Viper was worth 5 panels worth of voice actors, in my opinion.

Justin

GI FLINT
05-04-2010, 10:20 PM
i was at the dallas con a couple of years ago.

lots of toys.

that's all i need.

vadersquest
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
The dealer room was cool, heck I was a dealer (should say I worked for one):D
I found some jems for sure. Sideshow Stormy for $110 (best deal ever) a MIB Equalizer, dozens of figs and a few comics.

The best part though was meeting some old friends and gaining new ones. To fully enjoy the con you must attend the full weekend. I felt like a damn celebrity at times because people wanted to chat with me and I wanted to chat with them. I know others felt the same way. To me this was more fun than the dealer room.