PDA

View Full Version : Pursuit of Cobra Line = Pure Win (new sculpts preview in toy review mag)

ninjapleazee
03-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I just picked up the new Toy Review.. and just WOW...

Alley Viper - Red and Grey repaint
Beach Head - looks amazing!
Cobra Commander - everyone has seen it
Destro - same as CC
Duke - rocking bandana and sleeve less
Dusty - some new gear
Firely - same grey color, but looks badass
Jungle Viper - WOW
Recondo - looks resolute like
Snow Job - more gear..
Zartan - like the one's we've seen but green pants and darker brown vest
Snake Eyes - with resolute troopers vest..
Storm Shadow.. looks battle damaged

I wish I can show the pictures.. but I think we have a rule about posting other's publications

"SR"
03-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Can't wait to see them!

Talisman
03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
And people are calling Joe dead... HA!

A.V.A.C.
03-26-2010, 08:43 PM

i'm not calling them dead, and i do like the figures. however, other than recondo, jungle viper, dusty, and alley viper, they are characters i have tons of and will most likely skip most of. no more dukes, no more ss, no more se, no more fireflys, no more zartans. i'm done!

Shin Densetsu
03-26-2010, 08:45 PM
I just picked up the new Toy Review.. and just WOW...

Alley Viper - Red and Grey repaint
Beach Head - looks amazing!
Cobra Commander - everyone has seen it
Destro - same as CC
Duke - rocking bandana and sleeve less
Dusty - some new gear
Firely - same grey color, but looks badass
Jungle Viper - WOW
Recondo - looks resolute like
Snow Job - more gear..
Zartan - like the one's we've seen but green pants and darker brown vest
Snake Eyes - with resolute troopers vest..
Storm Shadow.. looks battle damaged

I wish I can show the pictures.. but I think we have a rule about posting other's publications

Those were all shown at Toy Fair, I saw that issue today. The magazine just has the smaller versions of the high res images shown here:

Official G.I. Joe 3.75 Pursuit of Cobra Images from Toy Fair 2010 - GI Joe News (http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/toy-fair-17/official-gi-joe-375-pursuit-of-cobra-images-from-toy-fair-2010-9332/)

ninjapleazee
03-26-2010, 08:51 PM
oops.. well then.. please close thread

EduardimusPrime
03-26-2010, 09:01 PM
WOW! I love how GI JOE was re-invented from the ROC line! It almost makes me feel like Hasbro listened to the fans for this next wave. I like what they did with most of the figures, except for CC & jungle SE. I can't wait to get my hands on all of these though.

Falcone
03-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Well, they do keep canceling stuff (and its always stuff I actually want).

fireflyguy
03-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I can't wait! Bring 'em on! I have the opposite take of AVAC. The more the merrier as far as certain characters go. I can't get enough Snake Eyes, Fireflys and Beachheads.

Troynos
03-26-2010, 09:15 PM
These still have their origins in RoC (Jungle Duke is wearing a Reactive Armor chest piece), but it's a nice move forward.

The characters are different enough that you can make new guys out of 'em.

Syn3sthesia
03-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Wait gents I just got a msg that it has been cancelled. ;)

Shin Densetsu
03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
oops.. well then.. please close thread

It's cool man, they are new to that magazine.

Python_Puckman
03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
I'll probably be buying all of these guys. Good thing that things are slow right now... gives me time to save up.

They used a bunch of generic 25th style stands in the pics. I'm wondering if they will be brought back of if they just dug some up for the photo shoot. Also looks like the "Sands of Time" Stormy's katanas link together. Are these the only shots we have of these figures so far?

NeoDragonKnight
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I was somewhat underwhelmed with ROC figs, there were some gems but far less then the 25th line. POC has impressed me greatly.

PitViper
03-26-2010, 09:29 PM
100% Awesome....Jungle Viper is damn cool, I cant decide which Snake Eyes I like better.

This just keeps looking more and more promising.

Good time to be a Joe fan...again!

CV2.0
03-26-2010, 09:33 PM
I want PoC now!

Can't wait for Joe Con, hopefully we'll see more, including the cartoon on the horizon!

Shin Densetsu
03-26-2010, 09:58 PM
I'll probably be buying all of these guys. Good thing that things are slow right now... gives me time to save up.

They used a bunch of generic 25th style stands in the pics. I'm wondering if they will be brought back of if they just dug some up for the photo shoot. Also looks like the "Sands of Time" Stormy's katanas link together. Are these the only shots we have of these figures so far?

G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra Images from Toy Fair 2010 - GI Joe News (http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/toy-fair-17/gi-joe-pursuit-of-cobra-images-from-toy-fair-2010-9324/)

Python_Puckman
03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Nice! Can't believe I missed that thread. Thanks!

Talisman
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Wait gents I just got a msg that it has been cancelled. ;)

Dude... don't even joke about that. :(

Steelgrave
03-26-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't see any difference. 25th was good, ROC was good, POC just follows in stride. I can't understand why everybody here is trying to make the POC line out to be something more than it is. It's just more of the same. Only figures I'm interested in are Jungle Viper & Firefly. ROC had more figures that I was interested in. So I don't see what the big deal is. I still like ROC Charbroil the best out of all of them.

Troynos
03-26-2010, 10:41 PM
It's more of the same but the level of detailing has been increased and they all seem to be coming with more USABLE accessories.

The 25th was the "guinea pig" of the new articulation, RoC (for the most part) improved on the articulation, and PoC is improving upon the detailing.

Python_Puckman
03-26-2010, 10:49 PM
It's more of the same but the level of detailing has been increased and they all seem to be coming with more USABLE accessories.

The 25th was the "guinea pig" of the new articulation, RoC (for the most part) improved on the articulation, and PoC is improving upon the detailing.

The new line is more robust as well, unlike the initial RoC waves where nearly all of them were in black or gray suits. The arctic/city/jungle/desert themes are a great way to vary the character designs. Plus it appears they lost the actor likenesses which is a plus IMO

DOC
03-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm excited about all that lovely fodder... Heck I might keep a few..

Grunt1162
03-27-2010, 12:38 AM
I'll pick up the mag, I love looking at these figs!

Zigga304
03-27-2010, 01:03 AM
cant wait till these hit the shelves!!

SidDarth
03-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Silly question here but am I to assume that the versions that ws_toys is selling have been replaced? The ones with RoC style head sculpts. I believe Hasbro said that movie heads were being replaced in the PoC line.

B.A.T.tyBelfry
03-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Why do so many people bitch about the blaze orange alley vipers? It's like this gang I was just watching a doc. about, their color was blaze orange "So youse can see us comin'"

I thought the alley vipers were fearless and used the colors as intimidation, is this not the case?

Mint Condition
03-27-2010, 03:10 AM
i'm not calling them dead, and i do like the figures. however, other than recondo, jungle viper, dusty, and alley viper, they are characters i have tons of and will most likely skip most of. no more dukes, no more ss, no more se, no more fireflys, no more zartans. i'm done!

Alternate versions of a character are great so long as they aren't frivolous and they look awesome.

I think these do (except for that ugly ass Zartan). The Vosloo head is awesome on that figure though.

Mint Condition
03-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Silly question here but am I to assume that the versions that ws_toys is selling have been replaced? The ones with RoC style head sculpts. I believe Hasbro said that movie heads were being replaced in the PoC line.

Yes.

In fact Desert Ripcord may or may not show up at all. If he does who knows if he'll still be Ripcord? He definitely won't have the Marlon Wayans head, but he may or may not still be used for an alternate Ripcord.

But he wasn't shown at Toyfair.

B.A.T.tyBelfry
03-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Yes.

In fact Desert Ripcord may or may not show up at all. If he does who knows if he'll still be Ripcord? He definitely won't have the Marlon Wayans head, but he may or may not still be used for an alternate Ripcord.

Maybe they ditched the new ripcord because of all the complaints they got about how they totally ignored all the great traditionally black chars that couldve been leads like sgt. stalker, roadblock and so on and instead made ripcord black.

I personally love diversity but hate revisionism

Hicks_Royel
03-27-2010, 09:57 PM
The Firefly I remember seeing looks more like a Troop Building viper than Firefly. Which is fine, I like the design a lot at will probably pick up a few.

Beachhead looked great...

Zefram
03-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Maybe they ditched the new ripcord because of all the complaints they got about how they totally ignored all the great traditionally black chars that couldve been leads like sgt. stalker, roadblock and so on and instead made ripcord black.

I personally love diversity but hate revisionism

Yeah, that makes sense (in fanboy logic). They're already moving forward with a sequel, so I seriously doubt they're going to change Ripcord back to a white guy just to change him to Marlon Wayens next year.

There's a good possibility that they didn't want to pay for actor's likenesses so maybe they're giving him a more generic sculpt or using then body for a different character.

Talisman
03-27-2010, 10:24 PM
There's a good possibility that they didn't want to pay for actor's likenesses so maybe they're giving him a more generic sculpt or using then body for a different character.

I hope so. I could totally see that as a new kit for Barrel Roll.

But Somehow I don't think I'll see him for another 10 years or so :(

Akunin
03-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Sweet! Finally a Timber that looks like a wolf. It appears as though his head pivots and to me at least looks larger than previous ones. Score 1 there

Grunt1162
03-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Yes.

I think they said in the Q&A that he will be back in the 2011 lineupwith a new sculpt.

Akunin
03-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Why do so many people bitch about the blaze orange alley vipers? It's like this gang I was just watching a doc. about, their color was blaze orange "So youse can see us comin'"

I thought the alley vipers were fearless and used the colors as intimidation, is this not the case?

The original orange was based on urban camoflage that was being devoped in the 80's (don't recall the magazine I saw it in but would love to find the article). I actually prefer the orange.. just cause. But love that they are keeping the original shield design instead of that crappy cobra symbol shape that the later AV's had.

Akunin
03-27-2010, 11:02 PM
and is it just me or does that jungle viper look like a night viper crossed with a gundam wing suit? still, one hella ghillie suit

Talisman
03-27-2010, 11:15 PM
and is it just me or does that jungle viper look like a night viper crossed with a gundam wing suit? still, one hella ghillie suit

Speaking as an old-time Gundam fan, that's part of the appeal to me.

B.A.T.tyBelfry
03-28-2010, 04:06 AM
Yeah, that makes sense (in fanboy logic). They're already moving forward with a sequel, so I seriously doubt they're going to change Ripcord back to a white guy just to change him to Marlon Wayens next year.

I'll take what I can get, I hate historical revisionism as much as I hate social engineering, that is to say, the manipulation of the masses. I love diversity though, they should have had sgt. stalker be a main character, and spirit iron-knife, and Zap, all that would have been AWESOME!

B.A.T.tyBelfry
03-28-2010, 04:12 AM
The Firefly I remember seeing looks more like a Troop Building viper than Firefly. Which is fine, I like the design a lot at will probably pick up a few.

Beachhead looked great...

I totally agree with everything you said and I thought it would make a great firefly force, I mean if he has a few square miles of industrial sector to torch he sure could use some subordinates right? Firefly's Fantastic Force

Or in that vein of rhymey slaughter's marauders

firefly's pilot lights
firefly's quicklights
firefly's arsonizers
EHHH, maybe you can do better lol

Shin Densetsu
03-28-2010, 01:47 PM

I think Jungle Assault Storm Shadow can still make it to retail, since he has a masked sculpt.

SidDarth
03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I think Jungle Assault Storm Shadow can still make it to retail, since he has a masked sculpt.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me. I decided to go ahead and give ws_toys some love and pick up the ones he's offering. If they show up later, that's fine. I just won't have to bother with them.

Troynos
03-28-2010, 02:10 PM
One thing on the WS_Toys is that they have the RoC Emblam, the eagle head, on them (even the Snow Job). AND that will not be making it to retail in PoC. So even if the head sculpts survive (Snow Job), the RoC painted shield will not.

That alone makes 'em "rare" and worth picking up.

SidDarth
03-28-2010, 02:13 PM
One thing on the WS_Toys is that they have the RoC Emblam, the eagle head, on them (even the Snow Job). AND that will not be making it to retail in PoC. So even if the head sculpts survive (Snow Job), the RoC painted shield will not.

That alone makes 'em "rare" and worth picking up.

True! It would be great to have his kind of access to that stuff. Not moving to China, though.

Troynos
03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
I wasn't going to get a Snow Job from WS but then I realized that all his stuff had the old RoC shield on it, I snatched one up real quick.

snakeeyes22
03-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Well, they do keep canceling stuff (and its always stuff I actually want).

Too true!
You're never going to hear "We cancelled the Rip-Attack vehicles!"
Murphy's Law is in full effect. I think anything they spent money developing will eventually make its way out. Most of the popular stuff the past year was repurposed cancelled 25th stuff. It's the stuff with no development costs, like the Night Force, Tiger Force, and Python Patrol figures that wete dropped that may be lost for good.

Maybe this is an opportunity for the Whirlwind for example to be released in green, or some other stuff to be recolored and packed with less goofy repaints, given the more realistic nature of POC.

I'm being Mr. Glass Half Full here!

Shin Densetsu
03-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Too true!
I think anything they spent money developing will eventually make its way out. Most of the popular stuff the past year was repurposed cancelled 25th stuff. It's the stuff with no development costs, like the Night Force, Tiger Force, and Python Patrol figures that wete dropped that may be lost for good.

^^^^
This is true.

tycondrius
03-28-2010, 03:03 PM
so I'm asuming that desert Zartan with the Movie head sculpt is gona be rare then ? he's being replaced with that newer head. does that mean the sandstorm one is gone as sandstorm and his vehicle was axed(or am I right thinking he was vehicle wave 3)