PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old comic books!

azoric
03-07-2010, 08:22 PM
so I've got a ton of old comic books from the mid 90's

Primarally X-Men (Including that whole Age of Apocolypse crossover)

I'd like to sell them, but was wondering what everyone does, did, with theirs, and if it was worth it to sell them to a retail shop or ebay.

werd!

az!

TyjosAzari
03-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Comics don't sell for much now these days but if they're X-Men they might...Since X-Men is ALWAYS Popular apparently.

Mainframe
03-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm curious what you end up doing......I'm in the same boat, I have Uncanny X Men like 100-350 and all other X-titles for the time frame, not sure what to do with the and I don't read them anymore. I was irked when the rebooted and started over.

Sorrel_Park
03-07-2010, 08:29 PM
If you have complete runs of titles that helps the sale, though retail shops (at least in my area) are reluctant to buy 80s-90s books because they are so plentiful and don't sell as well (unless they have been graded by AFA). They'd much rather purchase golden age or silver age.

I managed to sell most of my collection before the recession really hit but for about .25 an issue regardless of what the comic book buyer's guides say. Retailers will buy back books at lower than 50% their value so be prepared for low offers.

You may have better luck selling on forums, craigslist or ebay if you want to sell at more true value.

You definitely can't retire on comic book sales nowadays...

UMAN
03-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Throw zem in ze burner!

Actually, yeah, I'm in a position where I've got about 400 comics, mostly x-men, to sell if possible. Dunno what to do.

TyjosAzari
03-07-2010, 08:35 PM
It's so crazy, I mean today I just bought 300 comics off ebay [2 lots of 150 Comics for $20 each] so I mean it's like You think that they'd be worth something I guess only to those crazed fans.

You Might try on Ebay, you won't get much...you'll never get back what you paid for em....

Lt. Faceless
03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Just for the reason that there is no return on comics anymore,i gave mine away.When my son was in the hospital and i seen all the kids in bad shape(the floor my son was on,you didn't know if the kid in the next room would make it another hour)The point being it was a childern's hospital.

So i gave about 100 books to them.The libiray lady was very happy to get them.A friend of mine also gave them his collection,about 2 long boxes worth.Its easier for me to donate then to worry about trying to sale them.But,maybe that just me....

CV2.0
03-07-2010, 08:50 PM
I givem to my brother to read.

He bags and boards'em when he's done.

1 of the kids'll get'em when we pass.

Joe Q leaves them in public places for kids to find so they'll pick them up and read them.

Donating them to a children's hospital sounds like a good idea.

Lt. Faceless
03-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I didn't know Joe done that.Some how random comics will end up in my truck and when i go to clean it out.I'll leave it laying beside the trashcan for some random person to pick up.I just can't knowing put a comic in the trash.

TTT
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
My buddy tried to unload a bunch of (good)stuff 10 years ago and they said the same thing, too much of it floatin around & doesn't sell.
Gotta practically give it away.

TyjosAzari
03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Seems like Comic Books are the one thing we geeks like to stockpile.....

georox
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I bought a ton of mid-90s comics at Wizard World Chicago for a dime per from a booth. I don't imagine people are jumping up for em.

Kungfuguy
03-07-2010, 09:22 PM
They keep you warm during the nuclear winter.

TyjosAzari
03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah when you don't wanna burn your classic literature like War and Piece just burn an old comic....probably burns better when you gotta keep yourself warm during that Nuclear Winter.

flash70
03-07-2010, 09:43 PM
you can do what everybody has recommended OR try trading them out OR selling them for 10 cents a piece OR giving them away...nobody cares for that 90's stuff anymore.

Headman
03-07-2010, 09:45 PM
90's comics are worth less than cover price in most cases. If you can unload it in a lot that's the best way to go if you're willing to take whatever you can get.

CG76
03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
nobody cares for that 90's stuff anymore.

It's a shame. A lot of good reading there.

azoric
03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
wow, and i was hoping that $1 per issue would be a bargain, but I may have to do even lower than that.

maybe I'll set up my own comic retail site.

and yes, I don't even buy comics anymore, I may put together my own comic retail store on my website.

thanks for all the info!

azoric
03-07-2010, 09:48 PM
oh, and the childrens hospital idea is totally at the top of the list. And it's probably a great tax deduction.

TyjosAzari
03-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Plus with all the Trade Paperbacks and Collected Editions now out no one really wants Single Issues anymore.

Buzzetta
03-07-2010, 09:49 PM
When it comes to Marvel the big two ALWAYS sell.

Amazing Spiderman and other main Spidey books will always sell by the issue or in larger lots. The same is true with X-Men. The trick is to scan each issue. I will scan each issue and upload them to my photobucket account so each prospective buyer may see a high quality scan of the book that I have graded and offered for sale.

I made a killing last year on X-Men lots after I bought up a collection and divided it up.

Headman
03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Plus with all the Trade Paperbacks and Collected Editions now out no one really wants Single Issues anymore.

I prefer single issues. Except with Star Wars comics.

CG76
03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Or no one wants to pay for expensive and hard to find single issues anymore

martinjdekay
03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Donation is the best way to get the full guide price. You claim the books price as a write off thus giving you the maximum price, plus you do something great for the community. Libraries and childrens hospitals are the best to look for in your area.

azoric
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a meeting with my accountant this week, I will bring it up then!

sandrock74
03-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Comics from the 90's are worth nothing. The print runs were MASSIVE and most every title - from every publisher of the time - can be found at any comic book store and/or local convention in quarter bins. Stores and sellers at conventions have no need to purchase 90's comics since they glut the market as it is.

Donating them is really the only way to go....not to mention, they would be appreciated!

Angry.Android
03-08-2010, 01:54 PM
i brought all mine to the cancer center. they have a room you wait in while you're waiting for PET scans or chemo/rad therapy. And all they have is magazines. I watched a kid just sit there looking miserable when i went a while back so i brought in a lot of my old comics in a paper ream box and left them there (with my doc's approval) for other patients to read.