PDA

View Full Version : You don't like the Pit, but...

T.F.Joe
02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
A) You like the Terror Drome
B) You like the Joe HQ
C) You like the Defiant
D) You like the Flagg
E) You like the SpyTroops Cobra Mountan

And also...

A) It can fit 84 figures!
B) It has a breakaway Molepod wall
C) It has lights and sounds
D) It has bonus weaponry, which means characters like Sgt. Thunderblast and Wild Bill won't go lacking
E) It has a prison for Cobra
F) It has mountable turrets
G) It has a bonus Hawk figure

Oh, c'mon! Why does no one like it?!

I'll be getting b-day money, and I'll be getting this, and more.

krooklyn
02-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Haters. Joe fans are never satisfied. Don't you know? Read the threads. LOL!!!

T.F.Joe
02-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Lol.

But really, why? What's not to like?

krooklyn
02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Lol.

I know it's not the most expensive Joe toy sold, but if I had the coin, I'd buy it. My prefence would be for a more stationary HQ/ Pitt, not a mobile one. But, I still like it. :)

Shin Densetsu
02-02-2010, 05:25 PM
It's underwhelming, compromised by having to be both playset AND vehicle. Maybe it is better than the Cobra Mountain but the others you listed? No.

Brcall
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Lol.

It's not that I don't like it, but more that there are other things in that price range I like more...

Jaybird
02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't really like the idea of a gigantic rolling headquarters. I mean, really, where is a vehicle of that size going to go? You're not gonna take the highway and it would be useless on the battlefield. I wish they would've updated the old HQ.

T.F.Joe
02-02-2010, 05:28 PM
It's not that I don't like it, but more that there are other things in that price range I like more...
Ooooohhhhh.....

T.F.Joe
02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't really like the idea of a gigantic rolling headquarters. I mean, really, where is a vehicle of that size going to go? You're not gonna take the highway and it would be useless on the battlefield. I wish they would've updated the old HQ.
Why would it be useless?!? IT WOULD RIP APART THE COBRA VEHICLES WITH ITS TURRETS AND ITS NEARLY INPENETRABLE!!!

<<RANT OVER>>

But that's funny about the highway thing...

Seriously, though, why not on the battlefield???

Brcall
Ooooohhhhh.....

I use the Star Wars A6 Turbo Tank as my rolling HQ.

krooklyn
I would prefer if Hasbro keeps vehicles, vehicles and playsets, playsets. I have never been a big fan of combining the two.

Phweep
02-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I like mine. Granted, I do not play with my Joes... but I like it on the shelf next to the original Mobile Command Center!

MrClean
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I like it. Well worth the $50 I spent on it.

slim19722
02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I like mine. As a vehicle it is kinda boring, but opened up as a playset it's alright. Worth the $35 I got it for.

Shin Densetsu
Why would it be useless?!? IT WOULD RIP APART THE COBRA VEHICLES WITH ITS TURRETS AND ITS NEARLY INPENETRABLE!!!

<<RANT OVER>>

On the battlefield it's a vehicle that opens up into a big open space. Out in the open.

Shin Densetsu
i would prefer if hasbro keeps vehicles, vehicles and playsets, playsets. I have never been a big fan of combining the two.

this

Steelgrave
02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm still working on mine. Nice big custom project. I'm making it an arctic mobile repair bay crawler. The outside is almost done. I lifted it up & got rid of the wheels. I wanna work on the inside but I can't find the parts I want for it. I want the the claw arm from the Mobile Command Center but I can't find one anywhere.

I'll have to take it outside to get decent pics but it's freezing, wet & nasty out there.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2694/4325627073_98a1f18cfe_o.jpg

Jaybird
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM

<<RANT OVER>>

My number one complaint about it is that I simply don't like the way it looks. It's a houseboat on wheels. It's firepower is underwhelming to say the least. I think the AWE has a better weapon. And an offroad bumper doesn't make a vehicle impenetrable. It just means that you're allowed to drive your truck in Georgia. And you wouldn't take a vehicle that size to a battle. It would get stuck, slow to maneuver, highly visible target, etc.

I'm not against the idea of a rolling headquarters and I'd pay $100 for one that was decent, but I think Hasbro has done a better job in the past with the Mobile Command Center and ROCC. This one splits open in the middle and has a top level that appears unaccessible. I don't know. There's a lot of people that like it. I'm just not one of them.

Oh...and why is a mole pod attacking it? Was it underground?

krooklyn
02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm still working on mine. Nice big custom project. I'm making it an arctic mobile repair bay crawler. The outside is almost done. I lifted it up & got rid of the wheels. I wanna work on the inside but I can't find the parts I want for it. I want the the claw arm from the Mobile Command Center but I can't find one anywhere.

I'll have to take it outside to get decent pics but it's freezing, wet & nasty out there.

WOW!! Good job.

krooklyn
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
What they should have done with the mobile pitt was to have the roof open to the interior, exposing the vehicle interior. Not convert into a HQ.

artiepants
02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
it's just so spindly and not very headquarter-y at all in HQ "mode" and it looks like a WWII landing craft on wheels in vehicle mode. It just looks goofy to me.

the only Vehicle-to-HQ that i've ever thought really worked in any toyline i can recall was the Mobile HQ. That thing was just plane awesome.

artiepants
02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
oh, and it was over-priced by at least 20-25% like most of the movie-line.

Shin Densetsu
02-02-2010, 06:08 PM

That looks AWESOME. Way better.

Brownsnake
02-02-2010, 06:27 PM
It looks like the freaking jawa sand crawler for Christ's sake!
http://www.vegatransports.com.au/starwars/OTC/sandcrawler_side.jpg

Brcall
02-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Iiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee!

krooklyn
02-02-2010, 06:38 PM

Hahahhahahahaha!!!!!! LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

Steelgrave
02-02-2010, 06:38 PM

That's where I got the idea from. Star Wars has a Sandcrawler. Now my GI Joe collection has a Snowcrawler.

And the best part is, it can be used with GI Joe, Cobra, Star Wars, Transformers, Wheeled Warriors, Starriors, M.A.S.K. & a bunch of other lines.

Blackhive
02-02-2010, 06:43 PM

<<RANT OVER>>

ironically it was penetrated by mole pods.

Blackhive
02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
it looks like the freaking jawa sand crawler for christ's sake!
http://www.vegatransports.com.au/starwars/otc/sandcrawler_side.jpg

hahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

jaimanstone
02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
The PIT is great. I think Hasbro did an excellent job making a playset with amazing features while also making it a kick-ass vehilce that can roll into battle. I love that it integrates "cave" features into the play value and has many little extras for the collectors (posters, Bazooka's jersey).

I think many of the collectors who hate the PIT are just pissed off that it was made primarily for kids--you know, the ones who PLAY WITH TOYS.

Really there's not a lot of difference between the oft revered Mobile Command Center from 1987. Both are enormous rolling bases that fold out, have lots of guns and missiles, have cockpits, computer stations, medical bays, elevators, jails etc. etc. I wonder if the same PIT naysayers would bitch just as hard if the MCC was released now as opposed to 1987.

My guess, is yes.

DPrime
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Oh come on, it doesn't look any more like the Sandcrawler than the MCC did!

B) You like the Joe HQ
C) You like the Defiant
D) You like the Flagg
E) You like the SpyTroops Cobra Mountain

Well, I like the Pit, but I HATE the Spy Troops Cobra Mountain!!!

Tanksmasher
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't know, I guess the Pit just looks like a lesser version of the Mobile Command Center, which I already have. It's not bad, it just doesn't reach out and say buy me.

Dealer Destro
02-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Whoa.............................................. ..........

joedelta
02-02-2010, 07:10 PM

if it was 25th packaging or a part of he 25th line they would love it.

Beckley
02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't know, I guess the Pit just looks like a lesser version of the Mobile Command Center, which I already have. It's not bad, it just doesn't reach out and say buy me.

^This, I had the MCS when I was a kid and it was my favorite Joe base.
If you like the Pit that's fine, but if you don't have it yet wait, it will keep going down in price.
I mean, it's at K Mart, TRU, Wal Mart, Target, etc.
Be patient and save yourself some $.

ChaplainAsst
02-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Ok, I guess I will take one for the team ...

When has "it fits a lot of figures" been a criteria for a good playset? Seriously? A cardboard box can fit a lot of figures too!

"It has lights and sounds" - can't speak to this one as I refuse to buy it. Not sure how the sounds and lights help this toy.

"Bonus weaponry" comes with every figure in the line. Not sure the bonus there.

"It has a prison for Cobra." I'm pretty sure this would not even constitute a closet, much less a prison and would go against the Geneva Convention's rules for treatment of enemy combatants! To see a prison, go look at original GI Joe HQ. It had a bed and room to move.

"It has mountable turrets." Any decent Joe toy should have some kind of turret. This just means someone said, "It can't be a ROC toy unless it has spring loaded weapons!"

And I refuse to acknowledge the Hawk figure that so many spent a ton of money on this toy for only to receive one huge disappointment. I sort of doubt repackers even showed much interest in this figure!

Now - here is what is REALLY wrong with it:
1) The vehicle and the playset have NOTHING in common. One is shown as a deep underground cavern. The other is a monstrous above ground vehicle.
2) It has pieces made of cardboard that will make some very careful collectors happy in about 100 years, but any kid who is careless one night on the way to the bathroom weep.
3) It doesn't fit in anyway with the general "motif" of GI Joe. (This one is my opinion. Feel free to disagree.)
4) Why no vehicle garage? Besides a cobra vehicle "busting" into the Pit, why isn't there space for a vehicle to roll in? The landing pad on top is not sufficient for playing.
5) No target range. Several minutes of the movie played out with the Joes training, but instead we get cardboard boxes.
6) Now that think of it, maybe playset is actually too kind a term. Typically, a toy playset has a unified theme. A headquarters has a computer room, parapets for defending the base, and space for cool and fun things for kids to do and interact with other figures and vehicles (a working elevator, for instance). This "playset" has areas that don't work together at all. In fact, the sides swing AWAY from the middle making them little playset islands, further taking away from a unifying idea. The "prison" appears to an elevator that was scrapped at the last second - and an elevator would have made sense as it would have connected the two levels. So, the top is a defensive gun area - the bottom is a movie playset. That doesn't make any sense.

Look at practically any of the other sets you listed. The FLAGG is massive, and has tons of playability, holds tons of figures AND vehicles, and is a legend. The Defiant makes complete sense as a massive vehicle and playset. The Defiant was actually three compete HUGE vehicles too! Joe HQ is legendary in the early iteration - it holds tons of figures (far more than they even made back then!), holds many vehicles, and didn't take a ton of room. The Terror Drome fails in some aspects - no elevator to take figures up and down from the levels - but you have to admit that it replicated very nicely the comic book base. Cobra Mountain shouldn't be on this list as it is was a quick and dirty repaint/repurposing of a Star Wars playset. And at that, it still is superior to the Pit as it has a simple, cohesive purpose. And their cage for Joes makes complete sense as Cobra would certainly torture their prisoners! If the Pit had been anything like Cobra Mountain, you would not have a complaint here. But it fails because Cobra Mountain makes sense. The Pit doesn't at all.

Kids will love playing with this. They love GI Joe. But that doesn't make it a great toy.

thecalm_7
02-02-2010, 07:44 PM
its ok in my opinion. i own it, paid 40$ for it so i cant complain, but i still prefer my old bases/playsets. the General was my favourite outside of the flagg

krooklyn
02-02-2010, 07:46 PM
if it was 25th packaging or a part of he 25th line they would love it.

I doubt it, still. LOL!

joedelta
02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Anybody who wants to part with there pit i will gladly take it of your hands for you.

krooklyn
02-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Ok, I guess I will take one for the team ...

When has "it fits a lot of figures" been a criteria for a good playset? Seriously? A cardboard box can fit a lot of figures too!

"It has lights and sounds" - can't speak to this one as I refuse to buy it. Not sure how the sounds and lights help this toy.

"Bonus weaponry" comes with every figure in the line. Not sure the bonus there.

"It has a prison for Cobra." I'm pretty sure this would not even constitute a closet, much less a prison and would go against the Geneva Convention's rules for treatment of enemy combatants! To see a prison, go look at original GI Joe HQ. It had a bed and room to move.

"It has mountable turrets." Any decent Joe toy should have some kind of turret. This just means someone said, "It can't be a ROC toy unless it has spring loaded weapons!"

And I refuse to acknowledge the Hawk figure that so many spent a ton of money on this toy for only to receive one huge disappointment. I sort of doubt repackers even showed much interest in this figure!

Now - here is what is REALLY wrong with it:
1) The vehicle and the playset have NOTHING in common. One is shown as a deep underground cavern. The other is a monstrous above ground vehicle.
2) It has pieces made of cardboard that will make some very careful collectors happy in about 100 years, but any kid who is careless one night on the way to the bathroom weep.
3) It doesn't fit in anyway with the general "motif" of GI Joe. (This one is my opinion. Feel free to disagree.)
4) Why no vehicle garage? Besides a cobra vehicle "busting" into the Pit, why isn't there space for a vehicle to roll in? The landing pad on top is not sufficient for playing.
5) No target range. Several minutes of the movie played out with the Joes training, but instead we get cardboard boxes.
6) Now that think of it, maybe playset is actually too kind a term. Typically, a toy playset has a unified theme. A headquarters has a computer room, parapets for defending the base, and space for cool and fun things for kids to do and interact with other figures and vehicles (a working elevator, for instance). This "playset" has areas that don't work together at all. In fact, the sides swing AWAY from the middle making them little playset islands, further taking away from a unifying idea. The "prison" appears to an elevator that was scrapped at the last second - and an elevator would have made sense as it would have connected the two levels. So, the top is a defensive gun area - the bottom is a movie playset. That doesn't make any sense.

Look at practically any of the other sets you listed. The FLAGG is massive, and has tons of playability, holds tons of figures AND vehicles, and is a legend. The Defiant makes complete sense as a massive vehicle and playset. The Defiant was actually three compete HUGE vehicles too! Joe HQ is legendary in the early iteration - it holds tons of figures (far more than they even made back then!), holds many vehicles, and didn't take a ton of room. The Terror Drome fails in some aspects - no elevator to take figures up and down from the levels - but you have to admit that it replicated very nicely the comic book base. Cobra Mountain shouldn't be on this list as it is was a quick and dirty repaint/repurposing of a Star Wars playset. And at that, it still is superior to the Pit as it has a simple, cohesive purpose. And their cage for Joes makes complete sense as Cobra would certainly torture their prisoners! If the Pit had been anything like Cobra Mountain, you would not have a complaint here. But it fails because Cobra Mountain makes sense. The Pit doesn't at all.

Kids will love playing with this. They love GI Joe. But that doesn't make it a great toy.

Peoples opinions change once it's in hand.

Headman
02-02-2010, 07:49 PM
You don't like Winger but you like....

(1 Led Zeppelin
(2 Black Sabbath
(3 Guns N Roses
(4 Iron Maiden
(5 Judas Priest

What gives?

joedelta
02-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I doubt it, still. LOL!

Your right, has to be apart of the resolute line lol.

Unclassified
02-02-2010, 07:51 PM
cus i seen it in person, and i don't like it. it don't compete with the items you mentioned. i don't even think cobra mountain is cool. this don't even compete with the mobile command center, and that's what it reminds me of, like a inbreded grandchild of the mmc. i don't dig it.. it has FAIL written all over it like a orange sticker on the window of a new house.

Unclassified
02-02-2010, 07:52 PM

(1 Led Zeppelin
(2 Black Sabbath
(3 Guns N Roses
(4 Iron Maiden
(5 Judas Priest

What gives?

haha,, great point..

ChaplainAsst
02-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Peoples opinions change once it's in hand.

I would think it is more like, "People's opinions change after they have paid for it and are stuck with it."

wild weasel
02-02-2010, 08:17 PM
It's underwhelming, compromised by having to be both playset AND vehicle. Maybe it is better than the Cobra Mountain but the others you listed? No.

agreed, but i think most collectors hate the spytroops cobra mountain

joedelta
02-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh come on, it doesn't look any more like the Sandcrawler than the MCC did!

Well, I like the Pit, but I HATE the Spy Troops Cobra Mountain!!!

i loved the mountain, of course i only paid 10 for it.

ChaplainAsst
02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
The thing that demands respect for Cobra Mountain is the most obvious: it is one of only a very few Cobra playsets of any size. And its not bad - just not great.

gijoe071681
02-02-2010, 08:31 PM
i bought it for the coffee mug :P

DPrime
02-02-2010, 08:59 PM
The thing that demands respect for Cobra Mountain is the most obvious: it is one of only a very few Cobra playsets of any size. And its not bad - just not great.

It just always bothered me that it was a Star Wars playset first, I guess.

snakeeyes22
02-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I think the PIT looks like a cool toy, the transformation limits it, but the conversion is half the fun!

I like that is has wheels large enough to actually roll it around the carpet rather than a ton of small, brittle ones, and the number of stickers is enticing(I'm an OCD sticker lover)

I don't have any use for it though, but if I was a kid who enjoyed the film it would be amazing.

I have the Hawk figure from it, a friens gave me an extra bag of accessories from it that he came across. He is one of te cheapest figures ever. He's built fine, but considering he has almost no paint apps at all, how could they be so sloppy? Not even his knee pins are painted, but mine practically had a third eye on his cheek! I'm glad to have him, but if I had paid $100 just to complete a figure collection, he'd be a disappointment.

snotshadow
02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
C) It has lights and sounds... lights? where?

Cobra Invasor
02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I have one and I really like it.

Unclassified
02-02-2010, 09:58 PM
i'll admit, it looks nice closed up. but when open , it just is stupid. i dont get the rock walls.. if it looked better on the inside things would be different, and the damn handle, that actually ain't a handle gets in the way. it should be recessed, so the bridge can actually make sense and the elevator, and you don't go picking it up by the handle to carry it and it opens up on you.

Steelgrave
02-02-2010, 10:00 PM

(1 Led Zeppelin
(2 Black Sabbath
(3 Guns N Roses
(4 Iron Maiden
(5 Judas Priest

What gives?

I like Winger but I don't like:

1. Led Zeppelin (Over rated)
2. Black Sabbath (Over rated)
3. Guns N Roses (Over rated has-beens)
4. Iron Maiden (totally fell apart after Somewhere In Time)
5. Judas Priest (Just a couple good songs)

Monkeywrench
02-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I would prefer if Hasbro keeps vehicles, vehicles and playsets, playsets. I have never been a big fan of combining the two.

agreed

boomer77
02-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I like the Pit, But it's too hard to display.
I plan to get a sturdy coffee table to devote to this once space allows, but for now it is just an RV.

07GT500 COBRA
02-02-2010, 10:57 PM
I almost considered getting a Pit for $50. Almost.

CobrasUsedCars
02-02-2010, 11:08 PM
B) You like the Joe HQ
C) You like the Defiant
D) You like the Flagg

And also...

D) It has bonus weaponry, which means characters like Sgt. Thunderblast and Wild Bill won't go lacking

I like it much less then the playsets you named, but I think it's ok.
I like it better then the mobile command center. My biggest problems with the pit are that I hate the fact that it's not a stationary playset and it's too expensive for what it is. I don't like the concept of a huge building that turns into a ridiculous vehicle. If I can snag one for under $50 on clearance I will buy it and try to convert it into a stationary base.

I'm not going to pay $100 for a toy that in my opinion can't be taken right out of the box and displayed. I should not be compelled to improve Hasbro's product when it cost's $100

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
02-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I grabbed the Pit the a few weeks back now, and mostly because some dingy Walmart associate gave me a tag from a clearence Raven as pricing.

Now I have to admit before owning one I called it the Pretty Polly Party boat, and the $h!t Pit and even the Arm Pit, I hated it that much.

Now that I own it, I hate it even more.

The thing is like a plastic miscarriage. At least at $20 I don't feel too bad.

I will say that I am glad for the Hawk figure and the extra weapons.

I think it suffers from two major flaws...
1) Calling it the Pit.
Seeing as how the Pit in the film does not have wheels its sorta silly, for it to be a mobile item. If the Pit in the film is a non mobile base this should have been a non mobile playset.

2) Poor design.
Unopened this thing looks like a boat, a very unappealing green boat. Opened as a base it has all sorts of oddities that just seem strange from the break away wall to lack of battle stations and work stations. I mean honestly this thing has two drivers seats a computer area that fits one figure two extra seats and two gunners chairs up top. Not to mention the top piece unfolds to become......wait for it.....a bigger top piece! Yes, very exciting.

Personally if they were gonna make such an underwhelming item at least they could have enhanced the vehicle with workstations included with figures instead of some of the spring launchers.

BUT in defense of the Pit I will say this...for those of you that do not own a Flagg to find out that most of it is a pretty shakey facade is also very underwhelming...I can't speak for the Defiant or the Drome as I don't own them.

But if your looking for vehicle / playsets that rock the General and the Rolling Thunder satisfy.

A.V.A.C.
02-02-2010, 11:35 PM
I like Winger but I don't like:

1. Led Zeppelin (Over rated)
2. Black Sabbath (Over rated)
3. Guns N Roses (Over rated has-beens)
4. Iron Maiden (totally fell apart after Somewhere In Time)
5. Judas Priest (Just a couple good songs)

i have never heard any of these bands, they sound dreadful, just foul i say!

Shin-Gouki
02-02-2010, 11:44 PM

This says it all. I would have rather they rereissued the Mobile Command Center again.

That said if I were to come across one at 75% off I would be hard pressed to pass on it. I would just have to repaint it.

CG82
02-02-2010, 11:54 PM

What you did there actually makes sense and I can see it working. What Hasbro did, well they left a floater and needs a flushing.

xhairs
02-02-2010, 11:54 PM
i am just sick of bases that move. also they should not call it the pitt. as the pitt was a underground base. i want a base that doesnt move. for the price on the pit it should be bigger and now move!!!!!!!!!!!.

Mazinger
02-03-2010, 04:56 AM

The prison in the original HQ is actually my only gripe about it. It takes up too much real estate for that size of a playset. It could have been half the size and have a large control center area.

ironknife
02-03-2010, 05:02 AM

wow that's impressive! very nice :)

ironknife
02-03-2010, 05:06 AM
I like it much less then the playsets you named, but I think it's ok.
I like it better then the mobile command center. My biggest problems with the pit are that I hate the fact that it's not a stationary playset and it's too expensive for what it is. I don't like the concept of a huge building that turns into a ridiculous vehicle. If I can snag one for under $50 on clearance I will buy it and try to convert it into a stationary base.

I'm not going to pay $100 for a toy that in my opinion can't be taken right out of the box and displayed. I should not be compelled to improve Hasbro's product when it cost's $100

......../\/\/\ this /\/\/\

Zoltron
02-03-2010, 05:20 AM

I'm satisfied.

Mazinger
02-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Remember that this is a toy for kids. I think kids like toys that move/open up/transform. More play value. This was not made to be displayed on a shelf.

DPrime
02-03-2010, 07:34 AM
i'll admit, it looks nice closed up. but when open , it just is stupid. i dont get the rock walls...

Well...

Remember that this is a toy for kids. I think kids like toys that move/open up/transform. More play value. This was not made to be displayed on a shelf.

Right.

I think the thing is, you're not supposed to take the "transformation" literally. You're supposed to use your imagination to a certain degree, and not think of it as a transforming vehicle, but rather an underground Pit playset that can ALSO be used as a vehicle of some kind (throwback to the MCC), but they're not literally supposed to be the same thing. Just my take, I guess.

Headman
02-03-2010, 07:56 AM

That's a million times better than the original.

cobralalalala!
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I like it and I bought it. However, I would have preferred a stationary base.

ChaplainAsst
02-03-2010, 08:19 AM

See, while I appreciate what you are saying, this isn't the point of the thread. The thread started off by saying that folks on here like these other large vehicles and playsets but not the Pit. To say, "But kids like it" is basically admitting that it is not very good, doesn't measure up to the other sets, but you know, kids like it so that defeats everything else. My son will play with a cardboard box for hours. He will play with a broom, for goodness sake! But neither cost $100, nor are people claiming that they are awesome. The merits of the Pit rest on it as a toy and its features, not with the trump card that kids like it.

dsrader
02-03-2010, 08:22 AM
I like them all.

wishfulthinking
02-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I like it alright. It IS a bit compromised by trying to be both a vehicle and a sprawling playset. Furthermore, it's trying less hard to be a command center and more of a liveable bunker/base. As much as I appreciate having little areas to have my Joes sleep, the concept of the PIT is not too much farther out from what I used to do with a bookshelf when I was a child and needed a Joe/Transformers base...and that was free.

All that said, it's not a horrible playset. But I do think it we would have been better served getting a stationary playset or even a ROCC with remolded foot pegs....or both! But yeah, owning the SW Turbotank, that's a much better ME mobile command center for your buck that requires little to be repurposed properly (really, only a spare COBRA Sticker sheet is all I needed).

PS: I love the Spytroops Cobra Mountain playset...but like someone else said, I also only paid $10 for mine. If you just pretend that the droid parts littered all over the floor are destroyed BATs, it's really a fun playset.

blayze5150
02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I owned a Pit, and gave it away because I hated it. I paid full price when the movie came out. It was fun for about 2 hours, then the hate set in. As for what you mentioned:
A) I like the Terror Drome: an Awesome playset with an awesome vehicle. Looks fantastic!
B) I like the Joe '83 HQ: A classic playset that is a playset, not a vehicle and not a failing attempt at being both.
C) I like the Defiant: Greatest Playset ever. So many features. Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread as the Pit out of respect.
D) I like the Flagg: A very large vehicle that is a fuctional aircraft carrier. The Pit onlt has a helecopter pad that won't fit a Dragonfly.
E) I don't know about the SpyTroops Cobra Mountan: The only one of these I don't and have never owned. I want to buy one to go beside my Terror Drome.

A) It can fit 84 figures: How many did the Flagg hold? It was the same price in '85.
B) It has a breakaway Molepod wall that won't stay on and is useless.
C) It has lights and sounds: So does the Barbie dream house, but I wouldn't use it for my Joe collection.
D) It has bonus weaponry, which means characters like Sgt. Thunderblast and Wild Bill won't go lacking: Or, they can just use their vehicles!
E) It has a prison for Cobra: On the elevator?!?!? Who's bright idea was that?!?!?
F) It has mountable turrets: On the outside of the "Giant Camper" mode.
G) It has a bonus Hawk figure: who is cross-eyed.

The Pit is GI Joe HQ designed by committee. Stay away. It's cheap and not cool at all. Save your money and buy one of the first vehicles you mentioned.

CobrasUsedCars
02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey 5150 I highly recomend the cobra island playset displayed with the terrordrome. When I was still collecting vintage thats how I had mine set up and it really enhances the terrordrome. It's not even worth owning without a terrordrome to go with it.

Headman
02-03-2010, 10:31 AM
See, while I appreciate what you are saying, this isn't the point of the thread. The thread started off by saying that folks on here like these other large vehicles and playsets but not the Pit. To say, "But kids like it" is basically admitting that it is not very good, doesn't measure up to the other sets, but you know, kids like it so that defeats everything else. My son will play with a cardboard box for hours. He will play with a broom, for goodness sake! But neither cost $100, nor are people claiming that they are awesome. The merits of the Pit rest on it as a toy and its features, not with the trump card that kids like it.

Plus if the kids were the ones forking over $100 for it they'd expect more.

Fast_Draw
02-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I prefer the MCC and the Pit comes across as a wannabe MCC to me...but nowhere near as good. That's JMHO though.

Shipshape1983
02-03-2010, 03:06 PM
The first time I saw this thing up close, first thing that came to mind was

"huh....theres really not much to it.."

And THAT is why I dont like the Pit. They tried to charge a 100+ dollars for it...but theres really nothing that warrants it...

If it was about...20. I would buy it. Just cuz the thing is big doesnt mean theres any substance to it you know?

Same with the Rhino. Its a nice looking Car/copter..thing...
but not worth 50 bucks.

krooklyn
02-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm satisfied.

Well, you are one of the few that I don't read gripes and tirades about how much you dislike something. :)

ChaplainAsst
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Same with the Rhino. Its a nice looking Car/copter..thing...
but not worth 50 bucks.

At least the Rhino doesn't claim to be a playset. It is just two vehicles that attach together. I agree, $50 was way too high, but the price is coming down now. The Pit, by its name, claimed to be the end all GI Joe HQ, but it failed. The Rhino was just a repainted Target exclusive that is a great toy. And, going by the first page, it has movable turrets, carries quite a few figures, rolls on the carpet, opens up for more fun, and has a classic GI Joe figure most people wanted.

Jaybird
02-03-2010, 03:24 PM
If I was forced to choose between spending $50 on the RHINO (full price) and $50 on the Pit (half price), I'd buy the RHINO. It's more fun, has more playability, more firepower and even looks more realistic (for whatever that's worth). Even the included figure is better.

krooklyn
02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
If I was forced to choose between spending $50 on the RHINO (full price) and $50 on the Pit (half price), I'd buy the RHINO. It's more fun, has more playability, more firepower and even looks more realistic (for whatever that's worth). Even the included figure is better.

I kind of agree. I'm extremely satisfied with my Rhino. With the Rhino, you actually get 2 vehicles and it can store or hold at least 8 figures (based on available seats). I will get the PITT when the price comes down. I think the PITT makes a great looking vehicle and appears to be ok, opened up as a HQ. I just don't like that Hasbro combined it. This is one toy that should have been one or the other.

Darth_Risar
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
I just came from TRU and The Pit is now 39.99 or 39.98.

GeneralxRon
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
It looks like an Ark... Yes it can fit 84 troopers..but to Transport it..you can only put 2 in the driver seat...you can't even put troopers inside when that thing colapses to mobile mode

Gilgamesh51
01-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Because its a movie toy.

Colt Blue
01-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I like it ok, holds my ROC figures plus others as well that without it I'd have no other place to display them. I think of it as more of a tactical battle platform than a real headquarters for my Joes though.

EduardimusPrime
01-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I prefer the vintage gi Joe general. Never really thought of it as a rolling HQ though more like the biggest battle tank ever created. Haha! Also loved that it came with a locust helicopter.

solo0525
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
That looks AWESOME. Way better.
That does look much better !!

Unclassified
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
B) You like the Joe HQ
C) You like the Defiant
D) You like the Flagg

And also...

i think you answered your own question by asking it.. the pos don't even compare to the ones you listed, except cobra mountain, they may be a tie, they both are horrible..

TYPHUS
01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I own one and i love it!!!

And........its gonna be even better when i swap the wheels out for dolls arms!!

luigi
01-20-2011, 07:42 PM
uh
think of it this way kinda
gijoe general = roc pit
also u can put the figures inside just not on pegs

samantha
01-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I like the Pitt. Sure its not great but it does come with a Joe sized Coffee Mug. :)

thomasseeber
01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
The main reason why I don't like the Pit is because it is not vintage.

However, I also think that a "mobile command center" is a dumb idea. For this reason, neither the '87 MCC or the '90 General (Mobile Strike HQ) will make it into my collection anytime soon. As far as I am concerned, the largest feasible moving joe vehicle is something like the Rolling Thunder. I see the Defiant as an exception here, I would say the only reason it has a crawler is because the actual space shuttle is transported on a crawler from the hanger to the launch pad, and as we all know that is only a few miles over specially constructed and highly secure pavement. The Defiant would be no different, and IMO doesn't even need the mobility (but maybe I think that because mine has no wheels anymore!).

The only mobile command center I would be interested in would be a covert one. For example, a semi trailer with all the communications and surveillance equipment in the back (imagine a G1 Optimus Prime in 1:18 scale!). This would be great for urban ops, or conducting missions on foreign soil. It could have concealed weapons that are revealed when under attack or once the cover is blown. A smaller version could be a Ford Transit van or something, like what the FBI use in the movies. Either way, it would not include any mess, recreational or sleeping facilities. It should just be for Command.

Mobile sleeping facilities are called tents.

I do think the pit would make a great toy, but instead of being mobile it could just close up to be a big carry case or something. It should be nice and tall and have levels that correspond to the various Pits we all know and love.

As for an awesome movie toy, they could have attempted the massive submarine, or an updated FLAGG like the Ford class carrier in the final scene. Destro's underwater base would be pretty cool too.

firefox91
01-21-2011, 12:11 AM

Oh no I don't. That set was probably even worse than the Pit is.

Master Henton
01-21-2011, 12:13 AM
He said....."mountable"......heh heh....yeah

luigi
01-21-2011, 12:35 AM
B) You like the Joe HQ
C) You like the Defiant
D) You like the Flagg

And also...

u forgot the general

jedeye
01-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Well, as a parent who collected Joes in the 70's (12") and 80's (and very little in the 90's) with a now 9 year old, for whom I got the PIT for Christmas a year ago, I thought it would be good to weigh in on this as my first official post on here ("long-time reader, first-time poster, Bob"). First off, the three biggest things I had (and still own) were the Headquarters Command Center, the Whale, and the Skystriker, so I don't have experience with the USS Flagg, the Terrordrome, etc. In playing with the PIT with my son, I would say that it is overall a good playset. We have mostly enjoyed the jail, the bed racks that fold out, the back port, which has a large screen monitor (molded in, but good for imagination), and the sound effects (haven't played with this in a few months, now, but I believe it alarms and says "intruder alert" at times, which always seems to guide scenarios). The mobility of the center has been a good thing for play, as it allows for situations where the Joes have to quickly pack up shop and hit the road....sort of a post-apocalyptic, all h-e-double hockey sticks, breaks loose, the government ain't fundin' our green a$$e$ like they used ta - type situations. Overall, a fun playset (just wish those darned side panels would stay on, gonna have to glue 'em.......). Thumbs up, overall, but don't pay too much. Oh, btw, price paid was around $75 after coupon and "figure incentives;" had I known it would drop to <$50, woulda waited.

jedeye
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
overall, good playset, played with my son
we like -- jail, fold-out beds, monitor in back, intruder alert sounds
don't like -- side panels that always fall off!!!!
compared to my old stuff -- Whale, HC, Skystriker, would say it compares decently
good times playing Joes again with a 9 y/o!!!!!!

ickzer1
01-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I like it as a starting point for customs, hell ive got 2.

WeaponXCustoms
01-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Ive been reading a lot of 40k books lately. And a lot of the Lord Generals when they set seige in order to retake a planet from Chaos have these huge rolling HQ's brought down from orbit along with the rest of the army. They have rolling coms units, you name it. So in a futuristic setting the Pitt is spot on. It doesnt work for Joes in an earth sense. The best fighting force on earth doesnt need it. They are going to go in light hard and fast and dont need a cumbersome support unit like this. Not when they've got the best tech and gear. The Flagg waiting off shore is all they'd need. I cant imagine short of an apocalyptic scale war this thing ever being needed.

JR0d28
01-24-2011, 01:18 AM
For 100 bucks phbt!!!
For 30 or less, sure.

Vanguard
01-24-2011, 01:25 AM
All in all I like it. Worth the $50 I spent and no more. Not crazy about the vehicle mode for reasons stated earlier by my fellow Tankers.When I have the room someday I plan on displaying it open on a bookshelf or small table underneath my 83 Joe HQ. I plan on using it as the underground interior of my vintage HQ. I think it works as an underground base and not a vehicle.

thomasseeber
01-24-2011, 01:45 AM
a lot of the Lord Generals when they set seige in order to retake a planet from Chaos have these huge rolling HQ's brought down from orbit along with the rest of the army. They have rolling coms units, you name it. So in a futuristic setting the Pitt is spot on. I cant imagine short of an apocalyptic scale war this thing ever being needed.

Yeah, like the Jawa's!!

I plan on using it as the underground interior of my vintage HQ. I think it works as an underground base and not a vehicle.

great idea

evilanimation
01-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah, like the Jawa's!!

great idea

I bought one from kmart for $25 and am going to convert it into a defiant launch pad.

Colder Soldier
01-24-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm not a Pit hater, but there's no way it compares to all the other vehicle and playsets in the original post. I like it more than the '91 Joe HQ though.

There are a lot if dumb arguments from the people that are against it though. It's a 2 in 1 toy. It can be used as either a vehicle OR base. Not a vehicle that transforms into a base on the battlefield. That's almost as stupid as argueing there aren't any Joes big enough to pick it up by it's top handle.

And yes, the vehicle mode begs the question, "Where are the Joes driving this, monster?!" That also shows the lack of average Joe collector imagination. There's plenty of room to drive the thing on Tatooine. Or in the case of mine- Golobula Minor!

The ROC pit ain't the greatest, but for $40, it ain't so bad.