PDA

View Full Version : Dr Mindbender- what is your opinion.

Golobulous
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I feel Dr. Mindbender is a key part of the Cobra hierarchy yet he is the only Cobra leader not already made or confirmed to be made. From reading over the boards i don't find anyone discussing wanting to get a dr. mindbender figure. So i wonder if most of you find him as important as me. I think he is equally as important as major bludd or zartan or destro, especially since they made serpentor.

gunslingercbr
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I think they have to make him, he was pretty predominant in the comics and the cartoon, and I am confident they will.

VIPER 48
03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I like the Dr, and i hope he does get made. There are just so many other figures i would like to see being made as well...

Hicks_Royel
03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I think that a lot of folks want a 25th Dr Mindbender. I personally wouldn't mind having him standing next to Serpentor. His personality was a little too much to handle at times in the cartoon, but from what little I remember of him in the comics, he was certainly better.

DarthBrett
03-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I'd buy one up in a heartbeat (though I'd prefer him to be the classic '86 version). I never had him as a kid and he's definitely interesting enough to make a great figure. A comic pack of him and classic Seprentor would be awesome.

Golobulous
03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
There are definitly enough existing parts to do him with very little trouble. they really would just have to make a head mold and mabee new web gear. I loved him in the comics. Especially toward the end of the marvel run when the commander killed him in the freighter but he left the commander instructions on how to revive him. Later the commander had his body percilating in what looked like a bacta tank in the basement of Destro's castle and then he brought him back to life. Way awesome. I remember during the joe/transformers g2 crossover he was soaking in a bathtub of ice when he had to wrap a towl around himself to battle scarlett. I guess the ice tub was part of his recovery process. Does anyone else remember that particular story arc?

Monkeywrench
03-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Mindbender must be made

Hicks_Royel
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Wasn't that a Mindbender clone in the Joe/TF crossovers?

Irid70
03-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Definitely need a Mindbender. I'd prefer the DDP version, but I'll take whichever. I'm certain he'll pop up in this line somewhere.

Golobulous
03-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I think it was a clone as the original died in the freighter. I wonder how they infused all the memories into the clone. Then later in the DD run when mindbender was working for the coil i wonder if it was the same clone or if they cloned him again. By the way i think that the whole mindbender serpentor and overlord running the Coil organization was about the sweetest thing DD did with the comics

Hicks_Royel
03-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Brain scanner = Instant memories.

Golobulous
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
thanks for the info, I almost forgot about the ol brainwave scanner. Man that marvel series was great!

Wylde Weezle
03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I also place Dr. Mindbender as a significant character -- right up there with Zartan and the Crimson Twins. I hope we get a figure of him soon, 'cause he and Major Bludd are the only two 25th Anniv. figures I'm missing from what I consider the must-have leaders within Cobra.

xFlintx
03-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Fo me, since Mindbender is that since he isn't one of the Faceless masses of Cobra, and a pretty important character he warrants getting made.

Especially over characters like Raptor or Voltar.

Golobulous
03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I would also like to see raptor and all the other 87 cobra's but right now i would say mindbender is top on my list of cobras that need to be released soon.

nacho
03-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Mindbender will likely get made in the Arise Serpentor Arise DVD pack if not before. I can't see them making that cartoon pack without him. While the 86 version is classic, it always bothered me. When was the last time you saw a shirtless scientist?

For my money, I'd prefer a Dr Venom figure, as he's the first and most classic of the cobra scientists. If we have to get Mindbender first, I think they should try to update his look. While keeping with the overall theme and color-scheme of the 86 version, give that guy some clothes! Science labs are notoriously cold. Maybe being totally nuts keeps you all warm inside, but still, no need to wear suspenders with no shirt, that's nuttier than Raptor :)

DarthBrett
03-07-2008, 06:02 PM
But when was the last time you saw a guy change color in the sun or a soldier that is an android? GI Joe is pure fantasy and I think Mindbender's look should be the old shirtless '86 version.

sgt.bludhound
03-07-2008, 06:14 PM
But when was the last time you saw a guy change color in the sun or a soldier that is an android? GI Joe is pure fantasy and I think Mindbender's look should be the old shirtless '86 version.

agreed! the VvV mindbender is a good look for him too. Dr. Mindbender played a HUGE role in cobra and I'm positive we'll get one sooner or later. Dr. Venom was only in the marvel series (RIGHT?) hope hasbro show's him some love and makes him as well

Golobulous
03-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I definitly would want the "shirtless" mindbender with that great cape. AWESOME!

RolandofGilead
03-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm kind of torn here. On the one hand, much of the Marvel and Cartoon Joe World wouldn't be the same without him. His is an integral part of Cobra and everything they did/didn't achieve.

On the other hand, he was the goofiest figure ever made at the time (IMO) and a signal of the decline post 1987 that drove me out of GI Joe in the first place. First it's shirtless mad scientists, then it's men dressed as birds, and the next thing you know you've got Cobra-la, The Hitman, and Eco-warriors. Ick!

Golobulous
03-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Guess i just don't see that. I don't see the difference between the dr. and say Destro or Zartan. It's great science fiction with a little millitary and james bond mixed in.

WildBill
03-07-2008, 11:10 PM
I am really not a fan of Mindbender although he was quite integral to plot lines in the comic.

kilowatt
03-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Guess i just don't see that. I don't see the difference between the dr. and say Destro or Zartan. It's great science fiction with a little millitary and james bond mixed in.
The science fiction aspect became way to predominate by 87, and thats what killed the line. Had they stuck more to the military thing, I think it would have kept its audience. Mindbender does mark the beginning of the end, for a lot of us, but I wouldn't mind seeing him made. I find Serpentor way more offensive, and they already made him.

lkoldstone
03-08-2008, 05:00 AM
Odds are, they'll make him. I hope so myself.

DarthBrett
03-08-2008, 07:07 PM
The science fiction aspect became way to predominate by 87, and thats what killed the line. Had they stuck more to the military thing, I think it would have kept its audience. Mindbender does mark the beginning of the end, for a lot of us, but I wouldn't mind seeing him made. I find Serpentor way more offensive, and they already made him.

That didn't kill the line (since the line lasted another 7 years after). It was the Eco-Warriors, Ninja Force, Drug Force and Street FIghters that killed the line from '92-'94.

No matter what they would have done in '87, most of their audience at that point would have moved on at that time since most kids stop collecting toys once they hit 12 or 13.

Golobulous
03-08-2008, 07:44 PM
what killed the line was the kenner hasbro merger when they decided to stop producing the figures that really hurt the continuity of the brand. Kids have slowly moved away from playing with action figures it is a sad sad thing but it is true. there is so much more to do now than there was when we were kids that action figures and imagination play take a major back shelf. We didn't have all the video games, internet, 300+ tv channels, It is just a different day now one that has sadly moved beyond toys in general for kids.
Society takes away their childhood way to young. But hey thats just my two cents

Hicks_Royel
03-08-2008, 08:27 PM
But when was the last time you saw a guy change color in the sun...

I saw a guy go from a pasty white to a boiled lobster red once. Okay, it was me... and it happens most every summer actually.

DarthBrett
03-08-2008, 09:03 PM
LOL Guess I should have said who changes to the color blue or green in the sun!

artiepants
03-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Like the character, hate the look: would be much, much more into a labcoat version

Wylde Weezle
03-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Like the character, hate the look: would be much, much more into a labcoat version

Agreed. Unlikely as it is; I wish they'd "pull a Zartan" (or Serpentor) and release a later-look version of the character. To me, the BEST Mindbender to date: His Valor Vs. Venom figure.

Dark 5cythe
03-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Im sure they'll throw in a mindbender somewhere. Hes too much of a unique/important character to cobra.

kilowatt
03-09-2008, 08:52 AM
That didn't kill the line (since the line lasted another 7 years after). It was the Eco-Warriors, Ninja Force, Drug Force and Street FIghters that killed the line from '92-'94.

No matter what they would have done in '87, most of their audience at that point would have moved on at that time since most kids stop collecting toys once they hit 12 or 13.
That definitely was a factor, but I think most of us would have still been interested had the story not gone so science fiction. At least I wanted to still support the line, but it just changed so much it made it easy to stop. I really don't know, this is just my assumption. I was one of the 13 year olds that gave up in 87. There are probably many different factors for everyone.

Captain Hydra
03-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I would love a Mindbender. But, I'd prefer if he's in a lab coast. I'll buy it either way, but if he's the original goofball design, it will just take more work to make him presentable.

I know there are a lot of purists out there who want the new figures to be exact clones of the originals. But, I for one would like my Cobra army to have a bit of dignity. My collection down plays the over the top Sci-Fi aspects, and I'll straight out reject certain characters. No Cobra-La, no space battles, no Raptor, hell I'm even iffy on the BATs. Serpentor is getting a total character re-design. It's just my attempt to nudge them just a little bit more into the realm of reality. I like to envision them existing in this world, at this time. So for me, I'd like my scientists, mad or otherwise, to look the part. I have to draw the line somewhere, and shirtless guys in purple pants and capes is it. If I wanted THAT much Sci-fi, I'd collect Star Wars or He-Man.

Honestly, I do hope they release him both ways and make everyone happy.

Sentinel Red
03-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Another vote for a labcoat version. Truth be told, though, I'd much rather see Dr Venom done first. After all, we've already had Scarface, may as well give us the other obscure yet important member of the early Cobra supporting cast.

sgtapon
03-09-2008, 11:22 AM
i want him to look like either the original 86 version or the lab coat version

Golobulous
03-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I like this version alot minus the spring loaded and yellow weapons. Do you guys like this version?