PDA

View Full Version : So who did Hasbro do right, and who did they drop the ball on?

Cerebral Dissolution
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, now I have just about all of the 25th Anniversary figs (aside from the ones I didn't want), and honestly feel Hasbro did a stellar job on some, and have completely disappointed me on others.

*** Here's who I think they did a great job on:

Snake Eyes V1 (from the 5 pack) - This is the guy that got me into buying all of these 25th Joes in the first place. I love the charcoal grey too, over the solid black of the Single Pack (which I have too).

Torpedo - I loved playing with the original Torpdeo in my pool as a kid along with the W.H.A.L.E. nearby, and this fig makes me wish I could go back into time.

Scarface - Don't know why Hasbro didn't call him by his name (unless it had to do with Marvel Comics), but he was one of my favorite characters in the comics, and having him as a figure fills that childhood need I had all those years. Many thanks Hasbro.

Cobra Trooper and Officer V1 (not the comic book versions) - I think these guys are simply awesome, especially the officer.

Hooded Cobra Comander - The helmet the other versions come with are always warped, and I can't stand it, but the hooded one looks just like he should.

Gung-Ho - Not crazy about his Grenade Launcher (I know its more realistic M79 than the original), but the figure itself captures Gung-Ho like the original.

Storm Shadow V1 (from the original Cobra 5 Pack) - I didn't think they could ever top the original Storm Shadow, but they did. No matter what pose he is in, he looks awesome.

Other noteables: Snow Job, Wild Weasel, Firefly, Destro V1, Dreadnoks, Cobra Commander in Battle Armor.

*** Here's who I think they did a crappy job on:

Breaker - Can't stand his head, head gear, and recycled Flash backpack. Love the chewing gum, but will mod this guy as soon as I get better parts.

Rock N Roll - Some of him is cool, but I hate the arms both he and Breaker share, as it limits his posability with two-handed weapons. Plus his MG3 is way too freaking big. Why does he have an MG3 anyway???

Ace - I think we all think this one is horrible.

Other disappointments: Stalker's MP40 (which I'll never understand), Zartan, Serpentor, Lady Jay, Snake Eyes V2's head, Tomax and Xamot's guns (???).

The rest of them fall into "average" for me.

I wanted all of the original joes in 25th form, and it just seems that after Hawk and Flash, that I am just going to be disappointed. I've seen the pics of Grunt, (he's an old favorite of mine) but I hate it. It looks like I'll have to do a ton of customizing just to make many of the figs close to my standards.

It is amazing that the same company is producing all of these figs. I hope they don't screw up Short Fuze and Zap.

G.I.Eddie
03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
he's not even out yet and i think Hasbros cost cutting on Bludd is shameful...

TEMPLAR BAGGINS
03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Best of the line (so far);

Crimson Guard
Snake Eyes & Timber
Flint (minus the fact he doesn't have ANY GLOVES!)
Storm Shadow (v1; although he could have been more "white")
...and I'm sure I like others alot, but those are the ones that pop into mind right now.

Worst:
Serpentor
Lady Jaye (I can live with the body, but the face makes her look like Corky's girlfriend)
Shipwreck (what's up with the Popeye arms?)

Shockwave

"COPPERHEAD"
03-05-2008, 06:48 PM
here are my choices in the order i like or dislike them
Best
1.Crimson Guard
2.IG Destro
3.V1 carded snake eyes
4."88" Storm shadow
5."87" cobra commander
6.Wild Weasal

worst
1.Serpentor
2.Duke
3.Shipwreck
4.Major Bludd
5.Ace
6.Cobra Air Trooper

AS for the last i chose it because there have been Waaaaaaaaaay far to many variations on the 25 cobra basic soldier already we need more vipers.

tuan_tran73
03-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Best so far:
1. IG Destro
2. V1 Storm Shadow
3. Tomax and Xamot - who cares about the gun
3. Snow Job
4. Wild Weasel
5. Beachhead

Worst:
1. Sepentor - Is it really him?
2. Lady Jaye - Love the body, hate the head. I am glad that they redo the head and repaint the pants.

Things that really bother me:
1. serveral figures are not as accurate as I would like to be. For instance, Flint gloves and rollup sleeves. Snake eyes V2 - this is mine 2nd favorite figure, but Hasbro is trying to save money and screwed up the figure.
2. I wish that they use screw on the back of every figures - just like the old days - so it makes easy for me to custom.

"COPPERHEAD"
03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I does seem like on some figures they have a killer design team for and others they have a guy in a closet from a community college doing the design. Like was stated before it is hard to think such different figures come from the same company

"COPPERHEAD"
03-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the serpentor is the version when he is in Kryo stasis so his face has no expression. I have faith hasbro will release a more traditional serpy in the future that will knock our socks off and make him look like the evil genious he is.

tuan_tran73
03-05-2008, 06:55 PM
There is a thread that discussed that Hasbro pay 1K for person who create new figures - this indicates there might be many people working on the figures and it is not neccessary a professional. And there is a group of people try to create a new figure based on reused mold.

DarthBrett
03-05-2008, 07:10 PM
None of the figures are really bad to me. However, Serpentor and Zartan were very big disappointments for me (I would rather have the classic versions of these guys, instead of the new visions of the characters we got).

My feelings on Major Bludd - the figure isn't bad (he grows on me everytime I see it, but I am still yanking off those Zartan legs and putting some Red Star legs on him). But I feel like the design team could have done a slightly better job on him.

VIPER 48
03-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I liked most of the figures so far. But if i had to chose a few that were not so great, it would be Lady Jaye and Serpentor. I thought the Crimson Guard and the IG Destro were excellent figures...

ogre_h
03-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I loved the single pack Black Snake Eyes.
Then its Beachead, Torpedo, Firefly, Wild Weasle

Guys I'm "meh" about
Duke, Shippy, Black CC, Serpy

I've been saying for a while, why haven't they fixed the Duke and Cobra trooper molds? To say nothing of the Baroness and Scarlett (now that's just criminal). I hope they do a fixed crotch version of SE V2 soon. Otherwise I'll have to get another Black SE and do the head swap.

artiepants
03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Best:
#1. Beach Head. great sculpt, great gear, first version of the figure to really live up to the characters reputation.
#2. Snake-eyes (wave 5) and Stalker. practically define bad ass.
#3. Snow Job and Wild Weasel. Spectacular updates of the originals, and you can barely tell that they are 80% the same figure.
#4. IG Destro. I didn't think i really wanted him since i had the 5 pack Destro, but he may have ended up the best figure in Wave 5. again, an incredible update that improves on the original in every way.
#5. Comic style Troopers, air Trooper, Scarface and Red Ninjas. I've waited 20 + years for these...

Worst:
#1. Serpentor: total waste of a mold that basically can't be reused into any character more deserving. plus doesn't look like the original.
#2. Lady Jaye. very ugly. new head actually makes it worse.
#3. Armored Cobra Commander: not that there is anything particularly wrong with him, but it's another waste of an all-new mold that could have been used on another more-deserving character than this Power-Rangers/Darth vader wannabe, and given the number of CCs coming in this line did we really need another?
#4. Zartan - nothings really wrong with Zartan, but he's kind of boring.
#5. any of the cartoon-based nonsense, like Stalker with Crappy camo, trooper with gigantor Cobra logo and the stupid Gun the twins came with, Duke in super-light shirt, etc...

Warrant Officer Flint
03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Flint needs gloves, I gave him some though, he looks better with them.

Shin Densetsu
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
The first thing I noticed with the anniversary figures was that the joe box set got shafted and the Cobra box set had all the yum yums. When the smoke cleared, Gung ho and Duke were dissapointing. The ninjas ended up being the best figures. Fast forward to now and while Gung ho got the crotch fix, the Cobra trooper and Duke have yet to recieve the same fix. Duke has yet to recieve reworked elbows, which the mold sorely needs. I can see the compromise, so that the rolled up sleeve sculpt was preserved, but the hindrance to articulation is annoying. With Serpentor, my main issue is the face sculpt. That guy does not look like a dictator. He looks like Silverbolt from Transformers if he became a Cobra on accident-and unsure leader. I want an angry looking Serpentor, like the one on package. Or at least stern.

xFlintx
03-06-2008, 10:21 AM
My only real gripe with all the figures is their ability to hold their weapons. I wish the hands were a little more solid.

My Favorites thus far are
Flash - Never had him as a kid, but I totally appreciate the upgrade. He's amazingly cool.
Duke/Flint - I know people don't care for Duke, but I like him alot and Flint, well obviously you know why I like him. Can't wait for the TF version
Zartan - I know he's not the original look, but he is still pretty bad ass

My least favorite is
Serpentor - Not a huge fan of the character anyway, but I would have totally appreciated the classic version.

The rest of the figures vary for me but none sink as low as Serpy in my book.

I still don't have Comic Packs wave 3, so I can't pass judgement on them, but I eagerly await the twins.

Cobra-Viper
03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Serpentor and Ace are the worst for me...It is all in the faces, Serpentor looks depressed, and Ace looks like he just had about 10 Can's of Red Bull...

I wish Ace looked like his cartoon counterpart... :(

Best: Most of them, but the stand outs include

Snake Eyes, even as an action figure he looks like he could kick your ass!

Beachead, awesome.

Flash, the first Cobra Storm Shadow and the Joe Storm Shadow, Destro, Drednoks, Zartan, Duke, Crimson Guard...most of them rock :)

Captain Hydra
03-06-2008, 02:29 PM
I could not disagree more with those who dislike Zartan.

Zartan was the first 25th I bought and the first Joe I bought since the 80's. I think the way they updated him to look more modern was perfect. If he had still had the "classic" belly shirt look, I know I would have passed and never started collecting again in the first place. I hope they continue updating these characters and leave the 80's where they belong, in the past. This figure is still one of my favorites.

It's hard to list the best, as I like most of them a lot. But, I do hate Serpentor. Though, I never did like him, and I hate his classic figures as well, so I don't think anything short of a complete character redesign would make me like a Serpentor figure. I do like his concept, just not the execution.

Deefuzz
03-06-2008, 05:16 PM
The Serpentor and Lady Jaye balls were dropped mighty hard IMO.

Tenebrouser
03-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Done right:

Wave 5 Snake Eyes
Beachhead
IG Destro
Snow Job
Cobra officers
Tomax/Xamot

Done wrong:

Lady Jaye
Serpentor
Ace
Flint

G.I.Eddie
03-06-2008, 05:31 PM
the problem with Serpentor for me is that he just looks, i don't know, cheap...he looks like he came out of gumball machine...i think it's the gold plastic...

CobraCoffee
03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Hands down, coolest figure out of all of them. FireFly

(beachhead is close but FireFly takes it)

Worst figure is LadyJay. Looks lik it belongs in a 3 dollar doll set for children on sale at Biglots.

I think they did a great job on the "Fred" Comic pack crimson guard also. Seeing a CG helmetless just looks like they went the extra mile in detail.

Out of every figure available, I have only bought 2 of 1 character. Hooded Cobra Commander. Had to have him on my desk representin!

Steels
03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I like them all somewhat....
But the best sculpts have to be:
CG Fred
CG's-Although I hate the protuding beak-like mouth piece.
Firefly
Beach head
I HATE ACE!
and Zartan & Serpy are too plain & basic.....

DarthBrett
03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Ace's bad paint app on his face can be fixed. I just added a line of brown above his eye (like the other figures have) and made his eyes (iris & pupils) a little bit bigger. Made a huuuuuuuuuge difference and he actually looks good now. It is tricky to do and it requires a very steady hand (used a really small needle to get it so precise).

Steels
03-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Oh yea I don't like the hands either!

artiepants
03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I could not disagree more with those who dislike Zartan.

Zartan was the first 25th I bought and the first Joe I bought since the 80's. I think the way they updated him to look more modern was perfect. If he had still had the "classic" belly shirt look, I know I would have passed and never started collecting again in the first place. I hope they continue updating these characters and leave the 80's where they belong, in the past. This figure is still one of my favorites.
i don't mind that they re-did him, i just find him really dull for some reason. there's really nothing wrong by me, academically speaking he's well sculpted and designed and has one of the better rifles in the line ~ yet, i just find him uninteresting.

Spade
03-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I just got Ace today. He has to be the worse paint job. Why don't the red on the arms match the red jump suit. It's like some painted the arms in the original Ace bright red and someone else painted the body.

Nightwind
03-07-2008, 09:31 PM
My Fav's:
Destro (Don't have IG yet, but I love the 5 Pack mold!)
Hooded & Helmeted CC
Fred
CG's

Hates:
Shipwreck
Shipwreck
Shipwreck
Most of the 'Joes

artiepants
03-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Most of the 'Joes
back to Cobra Island with you!

Shin-Gouki
03-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Whole figure wise the only figures I really don't like are Serpentor and Zartan, but there will be classic versions so it's not that big of a deal.

My big gripe is some of the construction. The Star Wars foot peg making the old foot pegs used for the last 25 years not work with these figures is stupid. The not having a screw hole in the back for a backpack is lame and makes it harder to customize. and they should have kept the o-ring in addition to the chest swivel to give it that much more articulation.

the_loud_master
03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
wHY'S EVERYBODY HATIN ON v2 se's HEAD?

artiepants
03-08-2008, 11:29 PM
wHY'S EVERYBODY HATIN ON v2 se's HEAD?
i jus tglanced back through the thread really quick like and i didn't see one person hate on V2 Snake-Eye's head ?????

the_loud_master
03-08-2008, 11:32 PM
i jus tglanced back through the thread really quick like and i didn't see one person hate on V2 Snake-Eye's head ?????
One guy did. And in other threads evrybodys bitchin about the size or something.

sgtapon
03-08-2008, 11:38 PM
best one i've seen so far is firefly and beach head. though i would love to see a dr. mindbender come out!!

artiepants
03-08-2008, 11:49 PM
One guy did. And in other threads evrybodys bitchin about the size or something.
oh, ok ~ i just skipped him, so i don't even have a real opinion, i just didn't remember anyone really not liking him that i'd heard...

Nightwind
03-09-2008, 06:32 PM
back to Cobra Island with you!

:) I have to admit, I'm more a fan of Cobra!

I wanted to add a couple of figures to my "Good" list:
Firefly
Beachhead (There's a Joe for you, Artiepants!) :D

xhairs
03-09-2008, 06:37 PM
he's not even out yet and i think Hasbros cost cutting on Bludd is shameful...
yes they pushed him back 2 times and we got the shaft on him hard. i mean they just reused zartan. come on the only thing that the zartan could of been used for was the chest but the legs hell no. what a wast of time.after seeing wave 5 and up they have all been hits dead on.

Viper_486
03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Some of my top favs:
Iron Grenadier Destro
Viper
BAT
Firefly
Shipwreck
V2 Snake Eyes
Baroness
Wild Weasel
Tomax & Xamot
Toon Cobra Commander

To name a few.
Most score pretty high on my 'happy meter'.

Worst of the Worst:
Crimson Guard - I mean really, WTF?!? The figure's body sculpt is AWESOME, but the absolute and total MORON who came up with the head sculpt shouldnt even be allowed near playdough after pooping out that travesty.
I will continue to collect the Crimson Sabotage ones for troop building, instead of the 25th Crimson 'Hoodie' Guard, unless someone comes up with a fan-made head cast from a Crimson Sabotage Segie I can swap out.
I have such high hopes for the line at times, but HasBLOW goes and ruins one of the coolest characters ever.

Sepentor... Somebody *please* tell me where the design for this abomination came from?
Is it Devil's Due's handiwork or something???
Or is it someone's uber-lame attempt to make Serpentor hip and trendy for the 21st century?
I thought we were getting classic homages in the 25th line.
This is neither classic nor an homage.
This flaming turd (amazingly the ONLY fig on shelves up here *rolls eyes*) is another solid pass for me.
Bring on an unadultered V1 Serpentor.
This failed copy is headed back to the cloning vats...

BOMBSHELLMIKE
03-09-2008, 10:53 PM
I agree, that Serpentor sucks, I understand that he is a popular Cobra figure, I know his helmet was previously used on that dude from the Spirit Fans choice 3 pack, also if you have the Rowdy Roddy Piper Iron Gren. fig, he sports the same lame Helmet...sorry

bigkid24
03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
The worst figures in the line for me that I've seen in person are Lady Jaye....but I own her anyway, and Serpentor. I don't exactly remember what the original version looked like but I know he's missing the big cobra flares, but what really kills him for me is his crappy expression. I've never seen a more depressing face on an action figure in my life.

The faces on the Twins are too thin but overall I'm glad to see them released fairly early in the line.

Junkyard
03-10-2008, 06:50 PM
I think Hasbro made a great Flint But dropped the ball on him by not giving him Gloves!!!

CobraCoffee
03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I think we can all agree they did an outstanding job of making a ton of Cobra Officers. They all look cool, they a come in all the cool versions and all have great detail!

The Cobra Legions pack was great!

The Stinger driver, the officers the Cobra troopers etc!

I will be leaving my figures sealed, but if I were to open them, I would love setting up ranks and squads/platoons with those guys for videos or pictures or something.

=COBRACOFFEE

fett413
03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I really like 95% of the figures made. But, I do have my favorites and there are a couple that suck:

My faves:

Beachhead
Firefly
Snake Eyes (V1 and V2)
Storm Shadow (V1 and V2)
Snow Job
Torpedo
Xamot/Tomax
Zartan

The worst:

Serpentor (sorry to keep hatin' dude, but you blow)
Ace (really, really weak)
Comic pack re-paint (SE's, SS's, Duke, CC, etc.)

BTW, what's everyone's problem with Lady Jay? I think Jay is a very good figure...not perfect, but good nonetheless. She's everyhting I remember about the original: short hair, ball cap, green outfit with big boobs, javelin thing, gloves. What's the problem?

DAHUNTER
03-10-2008, 09:54 PM
BTW, what's everyone's problem with Lady Jay? I think Jay is a very good figure...not perfect, but good nonetheless. She's everyhting I remember about the original: short hair, ball cap, green outfit with big boobs, javelin thing, gloves. What's the problem?

Have you seen pics of the new version of Lady Jay they are making? Once you see that you will then know how bad they messed up with the current one. ;)

sgt.bludhound
03-10-2008, 10:03 PM
they really did a GREAT job on the Tomax & Xamot Comic 2 pack with the packaging including a mirror on both sides like the vintage version! By far the best CP out there. the figures are just perfect too! 2 of my FAVEs!!

the figures that hasbro should improve on -
-Crimson Guard - should have been like the Fred Version which is the perfect version IMO. the carded version's helmet is small, the arms are short and his hands are TINY. same goes with fred but defintitly improved
-Serpentor - the figure itself is nice. the head needs work on.

BOMBSHELLMIKE
03-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Ok Joe Bros and Lil' Sis, here's everybody's drunk a$$ed barbers favorites and the haters.....

My favorites...
Snake-Eyes all black wave 4, one of my faves in 82'

cobra soldier 5 pack red sigil ...I love this dude!

Rock-n-Roll, dont even own one but he was my first in 82'

Snow Job, just too cool!

Fred VII , I love removable face masked figs, nice m1 carbine too

Haters...

Cobra Commander V1....head is to small..My fave as a kid in 83'

Serpentor...too much re molded BS and constipation face, like the idea of a re-make

Flint no glove...no love, like the TF version will buy re-make

Destro painted face V1, I wasted as much money as you did trying to make a solid original 83' Destro

EVERY BODY ELSE ROCKS...YO MO FO JOE!!!