PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural in GI Joe

Prince of Fire & Thunder
12-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't like supernatural stuff mixed into my Joe. Let's make a list (focusing on Characters, not plots).

Crystal Ball
The Crimson Twins' empathic link
Airborne's mystical connection to his brother in the original cartoon*

What else?

*But then, the whole series was pretty sketchy. I mean come on - Stormshadow breaking down a tank with a few karate chops?!

Konigstiger
12-07-2009, 11:38 AM
What's supernatural about Psyche-Out?

Black Llama
12-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Do the words Cobra-La mean anything :) Hated that whole story line.

You could also throw Serpentor in there as well, but I loved that mini-series. I think 10 million kids leaned how to say D.N.A. back in the day from watching that.

Headman
12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Do the words Cobra-La mean anything :) Hated that whole story line.

You could also throw Serpentor in there as well, but I loved that mini-series. I think 10 million kids leaned how to say D.N.A. back in the day from watching that.

Cloning isn't supernatural.

Zoltron
12-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Raptor?

He is in my joeverse at least.

Prince of Fire & Thunder
12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
What's supernatural about Psyche-Out?
K, I reread his file card. I was under the impression he had some type of psychic ability. I'll remove him from the list but he's still dumb. You're better off with one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon).

Zartanman
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm always on the other side of the fence in these discussions.

I always loved the Supernatural elements in GI Joe.

Konigstiger
12-07-2009, 11:49 AM
K, I reread his file card. I was under the impression he had some type of psychic ability. I'll remove him from the list but he's still dumb. You're better off with one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon).

I think you misunderstand psychological warfare.

I can't think of a whole lot of supernatural characters in the Joeverse.

Even Toxo-Zombie is handle as a scientific event and not a supernatural one.

Prince of Fire & Thunder
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Raptor's not supernatural, just stupid. Cobra-la . . . technically I don't think is supernatural either. I don't recall them doing magic or psychic stuff or dealing with ghosts or anything. Sentient nonhumans & organic weaponry are fictional, but not necessarily supernatural.

Headman
12-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Ryu and Ken. They shoot fireballs from their fists.

Python_Puckman
12-07-2009, 11:58 AM
The cartoon to filled with supernatural stuff...

Just off the top of my head:

* The episode where CC has a gypsy summon three spirits to fight against the Joes... a Roman soldier, Mongolian warrior, and Americn pilot

* The episode where a group of Joes are sent to an alternate reality where Cobra has taken over the world and 3 of the Joes stay on that side because their counterparts had died.

Prince of Fire & Thunder
12-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I think you misunderstand psychological warfare.

I can't think of a whole lot of supernatural characters in the Joeverse.

Even Toxo-Zombie is handle as a scientific event and not a supernatural one.
I understand psychological warfare - I just wasn't familiar enough with the character. As I said, I was under the impression he had psychic powers until I reread the card. I also think sonic weaponry is more efficient & has better predictable results than inducing paranoia on the battlefield. I don't see how he can properly target enemies with little dishes strapped to his body either. Imagine shooting enemies that way. bad, bad design.

jimbogun
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Airborne and his brother have some supernatural mind capabilities.

Prince of Fire & Thunder
12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
The cartoon to filled with supernatural stuff...
Which is why I asked to focus on characters (Duke, Destro, etc.) rather than plots (cartoons, comics).
Airborne and his brother have some supernatural mind capabilities.
Source? Was this just a cartoon episode?

Konigstiger
12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I understand psychological warfare - I just wasn't familiar enough with the character. As I said, I was under the impression he had psychic powers until I reread the card. I also think sonic weaponry is more efficient & has better predictable results than inducing paranoia on the battlefield. I don't see how he can properly target enemies with little dishes strapped to his body either. Imagine shooting enemies that way. bad, bad design.

3/4's of Joe stuff has questionable logistics. Psychological warfare has practical uses.

Only fielded sonic weapon i know of are those defense systems on cruise ships.

That's all neither here nor there. Joe characters just aren't as supernaturally-themed (outside the toons) as you thought.

jimbogun
12-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Airborne's filecard reads: "Somtimes he's looking right through you... The Navahos call it 'the far-seeing look'. Spooky!"

You can see it at: YOJOE.COM | Filecard Gallery - Airborne (http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/83/airborne.shtml)

It was also showcased in one of the cartoons.

Prince of Fire & Thunder
12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Joe characters just aren't as supernaturally-themed (outside the toons) as you thought.
-sigh-

I don't think they're heavily themed with supernatural stuff. Quite the opposite. But it's there. I just wanted to get it listed.
Airborne's filecard reads: "Somtimes he's looking right through you... The Navahos call it 'the far-seeing look'. Spooky!
Well that just sounds like the thousand yard stare to me.

Python_Puckman
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Which is why I asked to focus on characters (Duke, Destro, etc.) rather than plots (cartoons, comics).

My bad! It's monday and I'm still a bit fried.

I seem to remember Spirit being able to communicate with Freedom a little too well sometimes.

Prince of Fire & Thunder
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
My bad! It's monday and I'm still a bit fried.

I seem to remember Spirit being able to communicate with Freedom a little too well sometimes.
Yeah they all could. lol

jimbogun
12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Operation Mind Menace is the episode. Airborne "senses" his brother is in danger. His brother is captured by Cobra and his mind powers are amplified through a device which also puts him under Cobra's control. Airborne's brother creates things out of thin air (giant teeth, rock fist) that attack the Joes.

Headman
12-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Source? Was this just a cartoon episode?

Yes. It was an episode of the cartoon.

Python_Puckman
12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Zartan's skin turns blue in direct sunlight (could just be a genetic condition :) ), but can also turn invisible/blend in with his environment at will.

jimbogun
12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I was going to say Zartan as well, but his armor could contribute to his ability to camouflage.

CTGLinks
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
there were a few elements but nothing "magical" really. Most supernatural elements dealt or deal with "psychic abilities", "the spirit world", "extra dimensions", and "animal husbandry/communication".
The other weird stuff was more Sci-Fi...such as "Aliens", "Creatures", and "Tech".

There were elements but not so much to turn me off from them.

CTGLinks
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I was going to say Zartan as well, but his armor could contribute to his ability to camouflage.

Zartan was more "tech"... cloaking device could explain his ability in ARAH.

Gunzlingr
12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
There was that one episode where Duke and Roadblock eluded their friends. Then they had to sneak into the heart of Cobra Island and throw the ring of power into the volcano. Hawk brought an army of ghosts through the swamps to defeat the Cobra army, and was crowned king by the people of Borovia. He also married that guy from Aerosmith's daughter.

Zoltron
12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
There was that one episode where Duke and Roadblock eluded their friends. Then they had to sneak into the heart of Cobra Island and throw the ring of power into the volcano. Hawk brought an army of ghosts through the swamps to defeat the Cobra army, and was crowned king by the people of Borovia. He also married that guy from Aerosmith's daughter.

What does Liv Tyler have to do with that?
http://www.poster.net/tyler-liv/tyler-liv-photo-liv-tyler-6228248.jpg

Gunzlingr
12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
What does Liv Tyler have to do with that?
http://www.poster.net/tyler-liv/tyler-liv-photo-liv-tyler-6228248.jpg

Evidently she is royalty in Borovia or Sierra Gordo or something. She gave it all up for Hawk.

Barefoot Jedi
12-08-2009, 02:50 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the episode with the Egyptian gods, or Destro's family making annual sacrifices to the demonic octopus.

I'm surprised Polly's Garfield-like sentience doesn't get criticized more than it does.

Hey, my text colors match Liv's dress in that pic!

Prince of Fire & Thunder
12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the episode with the Egyptian gods, or Destro's family making annual sacrifices to the demonic octopus.

I'm surprised Polly's Garfield-like sentience doesn't get criticized more than it does.

Hey, my text colors match Liv's dress in that pic!
Because those are episode plots & we're focusing on recurring character traits. And the animal thing's come up already, but I chalk that up to artistic license in a kiddie show (like how no one ever dies).

Zefram
12-08-2009, 01:21 PM
We need a Joe/Ghostbusters crossover. Seriously. :D

http://www.genoanevada.org/Animated_GIFs/sheet_ghost_moving_hg_clr.gif

Dirtbag
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Ryu and Ken. They shoot fireballs from their fists.

Which if you look closely is their actual fists silhouette inside the fireball.

scarecrow826
12-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Did you start a thread just so you could have other people remind you of the elements you hate about GI Joe?