PDA

View Full Version : One more rant and gripe

Breakerfan
11-17-2009, 03:45 AM
I need to get this off my chest. I know there are already multiple threads about arah vs roc but this isn't really what that is all about. I could chime in on those threads again about what bothers me but I will later after I get this out.

So, why do "I" have a bone to pick with hasbro about this.

First off. The 25th. What I wanted "really really wanted" from a 25th anniversary was a release of all 13 original joes. That's what I really wanted. Maybe I'm alone in that. Now, stick with me. They did that. They did it for the fans. But at what price?

25th anniversary. What is any anniversary without those who started it in the beginning. In this case, the original 13 joes whose anniversary we are celebrating.

so.

Snake Eyes.....released on card. cool
Scarlett...........released on card. cool
Stalker...........released on card. cool
Flash............released on card. cool
Rock n Roll.....released on card. cool
Breaker. um...comic two pack or buy a vehicle. oh well. cool
Steeler um buy a vehicle. ok. Several original joes came with vehicles so ok fair. For a 25th celebration, maybe a bit of strain on the wallet but ok. wrong color but ok.
Clutch. again vehicle but a remake of the vamp so ok. fair enough (more $$$) but whatever.
Hawk ...buy comic two pack (with another scarlet) ok whatever.
Grandslam...arahhhh! another vehicle. okay....
Grunt....oh exclusive 3 pack...okay.......

Gee Whiz. I hope they make the rest..

oh....

Short Fuze... Find the mega super exclusive battle pack with a bunch of vehicles and many figures your already have...ok, Steeler was a bit better in this one but.. damn it.. I'll plunk down another $60 bucks just to get Short Fuze.

Zap...sorry. Go online and special order a seven pack to get him.

Does anyone see where I might feel a bit chafed on this one? I mean, could we not just treat Dukes and CC's as flag points and send them in?

OR

lets switch topics

MASS Device.

Cool, I buy 5 sets and build a MASS device. Fun for me and kids.

Lucky me. I found the first two.

Luckier me.. I barely found the second two.

Luckiest me. I searched in vain forever to never find the final piece. My friend finally got one for me on ebay. (just the mass piece, not the set).

So, Hasbro got me started spending money to collect something only to let me flounder in the end to complete the collection.

I'm sure many have arguments against this but this is how I feel as a collector.

Hell, think about all the kids out there who are still trying to figure out why they can't finish their mass device.

That is what bothers me about this re-release. The inability of the follow through.

dsrader
11-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Another indiana tanker. LOL

cobralalalala!
11-17-2009, 03:59 AM
I agree with you, especially on the Mass device, what a scam that was. "Buy all five sets", so I diligently buy sets one through four, it takes me over a year of waiting. Then, no set five. WTF!!?? I had to spend $100 to get set five, and I still felt lucky to have gotten one at all. Then, just to rub it in, they start showing up at Marshalls for $15, but not in my area, no, go to North Carolina or Texas and you would find four of them on the shelves, I go to every Marshalls from here to Barstow CA. and not one. I'm sorry to rant, but even after 6 months, I'm still pissed about the Best of the 80's set.

Scoop
11-17-2009, 04:17 AM
What bothered me more about the 25th line were the stupid carded choices that we didn't need which weren't a representation of the ARAH Joes.

Some that come to mind were the Devils Due Zartan and Serpentor, as well as the Cobra Air Trooper, Cobra Bazooka Trooper, Cobra Diver, Matt Trakker, Ninja-Ku, Para-Viper, Pilot Scarlett, Red Ninja, Wraith and any of the numerous repaints that never existed in the original ARAH line.

Why did figures like these get released instead of fan favorites such as Airtight, Cover Girl, Dial Tone, Foot Loose, Iceberg, Low-Light, Sci-Fi, Zandar, and Zarana?

As far as repaints go, if they wanted to release repaints to save money on having to make new parts then why didn't they just give us a Grand Slam with red pads, and a tan Clutch and Grunt?

That's what really grinds my gears...LOL!

Hicks_Royel
11-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Yee-argh... this horse be nothing left but grade-school paste and dog food.

But yes, Hasbro dropped the ball on the Fifth MASS piece. What I like is the somewhat hopeful, canned "You may still find these in retail!" response every question about it gets.

Colonel Bludd
11-17-2009, 06:26 AM
I could care less about the original 13 cause I came in when flint and lady jaye was introduced so i'm not as fond of short fuze and zap and some of the rest. but I'm with you 100% on the mass device. that is the one real thing I didn't like how they handled. None of my marshalls have them yet but I feel they will soon cause they have the first 4 lying around

samantha
11-17-2009, 06:31 AM
I understand your frustration. I felt the same way at times.

Tyroc
11-17-2009, 07:11 AM
I hear ya, I share all the same frustrations. Now imagine all that times two for all the Tankers who DON'T live in the US and there are alot of us on here. :(

y2josh
11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
as someone who is only 27, and was not allowed Joes as a kid, the Original 13 concept doesn't bug me as such. However, as someone who had every intention of being a completist with this line, I share many of the same frustrations. When it became apparent to me that there would be multiple store and online exclusives, as well as various variants, short packs and high demand pieces, I gave up hope. Even now, I find it hard to cope with Plan B, which was only buy single card figures, as they are hard to keep up with as well.

sharky
11-17-2009, 09:24 AM
as someone who is only 27, and was not allowed Joes as a kid, the Original 13 concept doesn't bug me as such. However, as someone who had every intention of being a completist with this line, I share many of the same frustrations. When it became apparent to me that there would be multiple store and online exclusives, as well as various variants, short packs and high demand pieces, I gave up hope. Even now, I find it hard to cope with Plan B, which was only buy single card figures, as they are hard to keep up with as well.

Regarding only collecting single carded figures, just be glad you are not collecting Star Wars. Now that is a figure line that is hard on the wallet.

Dealer Destro
11-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I agree w/ you 100%, however thank God, there are places like this with cool ass people, so if you post a BST thread, the community will respond. So big ups and whag one to teh TANK!

Steelgrave
11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I agree!

That's just the GI Joe bullshit. Now think about all the Transformers, Masters Of The Universe Classics, DC Universe Classics, Marvel Universe & Star Wars bullshit! It's too much to list!

Troynos
11-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Hey guess what, I found the Best of the 80s at retail for cheaper then it would have been sold in Wal-Mart, Target, TRU. So I guess they really are still available at retail.

My area got 1 of the Dusty set and 1 of the Quick-Kick set, which I didn't buy at the time and have not found since, so guess what, I lost out, but is that Hasbro's fault? No. Is it my fault for not buying at the time? No because I didnt' have the extra money to get both of 'em. Is it my store's fault for not ordering enough? Yes and no. The demand wasn't there or they would have ordered more, but they didn't order enough in the first place.

Sorry, I'm just tired of misplaced rants against Hasbro for stuff that they don't control.

The release of the figures and the way they did, sure bitch about that all you want.

And I'll bitch about how they wasted "slots" with Dreadnoks and other figures that I don't want or care about.

You do have to keep in mind one thing when complaining about what was released in the 25th anniversary line, the line was originally intended as the first couple 5-packs and (maybe) the first wave or 2 of figures. That's it. The idea wasn't to release as many as they ended up doing, that was all a bonus. So they had a plan in place to get some figures out there, what was deemed the most popular, and then see what happens.

Any anniversary line, the idea is to hit as many fans as possible and cover all your bases. Releasing an Original 13 wouldn't be doing that as some would just skip and wait until the ones they want get released.

crock master
11-17-2009, 10:13 AM
you have to realize that hasbro released like 4 years worth of toys in a little over a year. look and see how many figures were released in 1985. each year back in the 80,s hasbro only released around 20 figures.
so you are lucky for what they gave you.
also i agree it sucks that noone could just buy all 5 dvd packs at the store.
mainly because no one was buying the first 2 packs at $20.
it kinda sucks that hasbro had spent money on alpine and quick kick and didnt make repaints for them. obviously this is because those 2 figures were the sales pitch .

xFlintx
11-17-2009, 10:13 AM
And I'll bitch about how they wasted "slots" with Dreadnoks and other figures that I don't want or care about.

Dreadnoks rule, no waste of slots there :D

sharky
11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Dreadnoks rule, no waste of slots there :D

No doubt, but I just wish they would release at least one Dreadnok vehicle to go with them. The Thunder Machine would be nice.

gunslingercbr
11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
ahh, another thread of adults whining they aren't getting their needs met. awesome.

agentmorris
11-17-2009, 11:08 AM
ahh, another thread of adults whining they aren't getting their needs met. awesome.

Some of my needs in life aren't always met, but they have nothing to do with plastic toy army men/robots. :D

Baron Samedi
11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Some of my needs in life aren't always met, but they have nothing to do with plastic toy army men/robots. :D

Maybe it's because of plastic toy army men/robots... lol

agentmorris
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Maybe it's because of plastic toy army men/robots... lol

That's the excuse I like to use.

hahahahaha

the odinson
11-17-2009, 11:20 AM
totally agree about the original 13. the lack of effort and crapiness of grunt and short fuze especially ticked me off. at least it was easy to scrape off the moustache on zap. they could have easily assembled good versions of a lot of the first wave with existing molds. just gonna have to make 'em ourselves...

gunslingercbr
11-17-2009, 11:24 AM
That is what bothers me about this re-release. The inability of the follow through.
except for the fact that Hasbro actually followed through on both the Mass Device and the original 13? how can you attempt to rationally say otherwise with a straight face?

ridiculous thread. ridiculous argument. yup, that's par for the course on the Tank, unfortunately.

agentmorris
11-17-2009, 11:25 AM
ridiculous thread. ridiculous argument. yup, that's par for the course on the Tank, unfortunately.

I know just for entertainment purposes alone, I wouldn't want it any other way.

hahahaha

Baron Samedi
11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Is it wrong of me to say that I was honestly getting bored with the 25th stuff? Examples:

"Oh, look. Another old vehicle that looks just like it did when I had it back in the 80's."

"Oh, look... a DVD pack with 4 lousy repaints. A shame I don't care for the cartoon."

"Oh, look... another all-green figure. With a knife holster on the right thigh. Just like everything else."

"Hey, look... Hall of Heroes. Wow, that's not worth $15."

Sorry, I don't like all of the changes, but I was getting tired of the 25th stuff. Resolute being canceled was a bigger disappointment by far.

82joe
11-17-2009, 11:38 AM
As far as repaints go, if they wanted to release repaints to save money on having to make new parts then why didn't they just give us a Grand Slam with red pads, and a tan Clutch and Grunt?

I have faith these are coming. I think we'll see a TF Bazooka and Tripwire as well.

agentmorris
11-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Is it wrong of me to say that I was honestly getting bored with the 25th stuff? Examples:

"Oh, look. Another old vehicle that looks just like it did when I had it back in the 80's."

"Oh, look... a DVD pack with 4 lousy repaints. A shame I don't care for the cartoon."

"Oh, look... another all-green figure. With a knife holster on the right thigh. Just like everything else."

"Hey, look... Hall of Heroes. Wow, that's not worth $15."

Sorry, I don't like all of the changes, but I was getting tired of the 25th stuff. Resolute being canceled was a bigger disappointment by far.

That's why I'm happy we actually are going to be getting more.

Breakerfan
11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't buy the reasoning that Hasbro produced equal amounts of all the mass device sets and it is just that stores did not order them.

Until recently, one could still purchase the first two sets on hasbro's website. If no stores order set 3, 4 and especially 5 (that were produced in equal number), it stands to reason that one could go to the hasbro site and order them as well.

Some can be smug and say were just adults whining. I'm sure that out there somewhere are children who bought the sets with the intention of building a mass device as well who feel burned.

Griff
11-17-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree with you, especially on the Mass device, what a scam that was. "Buy all five sets", so I diligently buy sets one through four, it takes me over a year of waiting. Then, no set five. WTF!!?? I had to spend $100 to get set five, and I still felt lucky to have gotten one at all. Then, just to rub it in, they start showing up at Marshalls for $15, but not in my area, no, go to North Carolina or Texas and you would find four of them on the shelves, I go to every Marshalls from here to Barstow CA. and not one. I'm sorry to rant, but even after 6 months, I'm still pissed about the Best of the 80's set.

As was i. I got lucky and bought mine from a friend. Im not sad that i sold the mass device (i was seriously disappointed with how small it was.) but i almost never saw the last three sets in stores. the problem was the stores ordered gobs and gobs of sets 1 and 2 then when it came time to order more sets they were still sitting on plenty of stock on the floors and the back room and almost no stores reordered em and eventually they just went to discount stores....though i have yet to see any. other than sets 1 and 2.

gunslingercbr
11-17-2009, 01:07 PM

just because they didn't release every repaint possible doesn't change the fact of the reasoning and strategy behind the repaints. are you actually trying to dispute that simply because they didn't release a red pads Grand Slam?
I don't buy the reasoning that Hasbro produced equal amounts of all the mass device sets and it is just that stores did not order them.

Until recently, one could still purchase the first two sets on hasbro's website. If no stores order set 3, 4 and especially 5 (that were produced in equal number), it stands to reason that one could go to the hasbro site and order them as well.

Some can be smug and say were just adults whining. I'm sure that out there somewhere are children who bought the sets with the intention of building a mass device as well who feel burned.
of course Hasbro produced more of the first two -- and they produced too many. that doesn't mean they didn't produce enough of the last three to meet the demand simply because they produced too many of the first sets.

but the fact that they produced too many of the first sets, which we could all empirically see when we went to the major retailers that had them all stocked full until they were clearanced, only validates the claim that retailers didn't order more, so I am not sure how you can reasonably attempt to dispute that, you can only ignore that. and when you ignore elements of a situation you aren't being reasonable, and whining is usually what happens when someone isn't being reasonable, so the term is more than applicable.

Gunzlingr
11-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I guess I was smart ordering the DVD sets online last year about this time. Paid $19.99 for all of them with free shipping.

Troynos
11-17-2009, 01:23 PM
For the most part retailers don't pay attention to things like "1 of 5" when it comes to what they order. They just ordered DVD Pack Assortment 1 (or however it was listed). The retailers didn't know and didn't care that a piece of the MASS Device would be in 5 different sets (and 5 sets, when selling 2 sets to a case, the gurantees that at least 1 set is going to get overproduced).

They ordered the first sets based on what ever projections they use. Hasbro produced to meet those numbers.

Those numbers didn't sell. Hasbro produced sets 3 & 4 at reduced quantities (compared to 1 and 2) because thats what the retailers ordered.

Now it comes time to order #5 and the retailers order less because the rest of the sets haven't flown off the shelves (remember, retailers aren't paying attention to the fact that each set contains a piece that is needed to complete an item, they don't care about that, they just see that they have alot of DVD packs still on the shelves). So they can't put all the stock out because the space allocated for it is filled. So the stock sits in the back. And sits and sits. Then RoC comes around and there is no space allocated for DVD Packs anymore.

So the stock gets sent to the discount stores.

Which is where I found mine.

The only thing that Hasbro is to blame for as far as it's all concerned is the figure selection in the sets. Different selection, more unique figures and less repaints, and maybe the sets would have sold better.

Breakerfan
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
of course Hasbro produced more of the first two -- and they produced too many. that doesn't mean they didn't produce enough of the last three to meet the demand simply because they produced too many of the first sets.

but the fact that they produced too many of the first sets, which we could all empirically see when we went to the major retailers that had them all stocked full until they were clearanced, only validates the claim that retailers didn't order more, so I am not sure how you can reasonably attempt to dispute that, you can only ignore that. and when you ignore elements of a situation you aren't being reasonable, and whining is usually what happens when someone isn't being reasonable, so the term is more than applicable.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what I'm ignoring here. I'm quite aware retailers did not order more. I believe I read a statement from hasbro claiming all five sets were produced in equal number. If in fact that was true, then the excess unordered sets would have ended up for sale on the website as well. From what I can see, alot of folks have 4/5 of a mass device. If they produced enough to meet demand, the demand would have been met. They would have shown up somewhere, if not retail, then on the hasbro site with the rest of the unordered overstock.

Breakerfan
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Troynos posted while I was typing.

I am in error that the sets were produced in equal number as I thought hasbro had stated.

Death Adder
11-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I'd like to chime/"whine" in about the mail order Doc. You spend $60 on the comic 2-packs and add another $9 for shipping in order to get the thing. I personally waited 8mths for mine as they had cashed my money order but failed to process my order. I then had to fax a copy of my mail order stub to them about 6 times before it finally gets to them. When it finally arrives, it looks as if someone used it for placekicking practice. To top it all off, I find it in the club store at Joecon for $20.

So take your stab at this one anti-"whiners". It amuses me to no end that you guys keep coming on these rant threads complaining that everyone is whining, and proclaiming yourselves as the voices of reason and logic. I suppose you gather that if you ignore us we won't go away, so why not have a little fun trying to shoot holes in the logic of every statement. Ranting by definition is wild, incoherent speech, so trying to add logic to the conversation is futile.

Insanity is repeating the same action over and over, ever expecting different results.

To be clear, I feel no rancor for any tanker. It just gets me how poorly we treat one another sometimes. Maybe it's like agentmorris stated, that it is all fun and games for both sides. Who knows?
So, ranters, keep ranting, logicians, keep using reason to fuel the fire. and let's all take in stride and have fun. Yea!

gunslingercbr
11-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure what I'm ignoring here. I'm quite aware retailers did not order more. I believe I read a statement from hasbro claiming all five sets were produced in equal number. If in fact that was true, then the excess unordered sets would have ended up for sale on the website as well. From what I can see, alot of folks have 4/5 of a mass device. If they produced enough to meet demand, the demand would have been met. They would have shown up somewhere, if not retail, then on the hasbro site with the rest of the unordered overstock.
you have to take anything Hasbro says with a grain of salt when they use vague descriptions. but those last three sets did show up on HTS when they first came out, so that shows that Hasbro only sold a certain amount of them to HTS (which is an independent business entity and actually buys directly from Hasbro even though it is run by Hasbro) and the rest must have been sold elsewhere, or else Hasbro would have had them to in turn make available to HTS to sell. so when Hasbro states they were produced and sold it appears they told the truth.

Troynos
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Troynos posted while I was typing.

I am in error that the sets were produced in equal number as I thought hasbro had stated.

I don't know for sure one way or the other. Even if the numbers were equal the reasoning still stands.

The sets are out there somewhere.

Troynos
11-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I'd like to chime/"whine" in about the mail order Doc. You spend $60 on the comic 2-packs and add another $9 for shipping in order to get the thing. I personally waited 8mths for mine as they had cashed my money order but failed to process my order. I then had to fax a copy of my mail order stub to them about 6 times before it finally gets to them. When it finally arrives, it looks as if someone used it for placekicking practice. To top it all off, I find it in the club store at Joecon for $20.

They did screw up with the Doc thing. That's something legtimate to complain about.

I have no problem with complaining or "whining" just as long as it's at the right target, right information and right reasons.

Fast_Draw
11-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Yes, the 5th set is indeed out there. People have been finding them a lot lately.

It's mathematically impossible for the sets to have been produced in equal numbers due to the case breakdowns regardless of the demand though. As Gunslinger already said, sets 1 and 2 were produced in higher quantity.

Case 1
2 x set 1
2 x set 2

Case 2
1 x set 1
1 x set 2
1 x set 3
1 x set 4

Case 3
1 x set 2
1 x set 3
1 x set 4
1 x set 5

It's mathematically impossible for the packs to be equal based on that. Set 2 was produced the most followed by set 1, a tie for sets 3 and 4, and then set 5. Set 2 appeared at least once in every case.

agentmorris
11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Case 3
1 x set 2
1 x set 3
1 x set 4
1 x set 5

This is why it took me so long to finally land one then. :D

artiepants
11-17-2009, 03:27 PM
What i'd really like to see Hasbro do is a 0-16 (joes+cobras) set (or 2 sets of 8) for the 30th Anniversary: think the old "Stars and Stripes forever" boxset, but with 100% less suck. be an opportunity to fix some of the "off" things: a new head for Grunt, a new torso for Steeler, new arms for Rock n' Roll maybe a new head for Scarlet. Proper backpack and headgear for Breaker. helmets that actually fit. Zap body and new head for Short-Fuse. I assembled basically all the 0-13 and i'd still get it, especially if the box was nice.

totally agree about the original 13. the lack of effort and crapiness of grunt and short fuze especially ticked me off. at least it was easy to scrape off the moustache on zap.

I'll never understood people not wanting a mustache on Zap ~ the only reason he was lacking it in 82 was cuz the O-13 were essentially frankenjoes with a minimum of new parts. He even had it on the card art.

Darth_Risar
11-17-2009, 03:40 PM
The COBRA Bazooka trooper pissed me off becasue of the holster on the back of the web gear or lack there of I mean. The Stinger Driver actually has the completed holster and judging by him, this would have made the CBT, a great figure.

Baron Samedi
11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
The COBRA Bazooka trooper pissed me off becasue of the holster on the back of the web gear or lack there of I mean. The Stinger Driver actually has the completed holster and judging by him, this would have made the CBT, a great figure.

I never bought that one. It seemed kind of like a waste- just the same as the Trooper (with lousy sculpt) with a different helmet and weapon. I would have bought it if it came in a multi-pack troop builder with others.

G.I. Jinx
11-17-2009, 03:49 PM
i got a kick out of putting together the Original 13. it was a fun hunt. but i must say i didn't shell out for the UBP. i got S Fuze loose in a trade with another collector. same with Zap. i bought the Cobra Island packs for obvious reasons, but Zap I already had.

either way, i feel your frustration with these types of things.

i will suggest however that there are clever and thrifty ways to get what you want.

i hate to say the P word here, but it applies.

PATIENCE.

Troynos
11-17-2009, 04:00 PM
i hate to say the P word here, but it applies.

PATIENCE.

There's a huge lack of that around this site.

Headman
11-17-2009, 04:00 PM
OG 13 were garbage. I wanted Eco Warriors!

Beckley
11-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Concerning your gripe about the original 13, did you want Clutch or Steeler to be single carded?
To be fair, they as well Grand Slam came with vehicles originally so Hasbro was being consistent.
Also, the UBP came with the definitive Stalker and Steeler IMO, throw in Short- Fuze, and you have 3 of the 13 in one box.

xFlintx
11-17-2009, 04:12 PM
What i'd really like to see Hasbro do is a 0-16 (joes+cobras) set (or 2 sets of 8) for the 30th Anniversary: think the old "Stars and Stripes forever" boxset, but with 100% less suck. be an opportunity to fix some of the "off" things: a new head for Grunt, a new torso for Steeler, new arms for Rock n' Roll maybe a new head for Scarlet. Proper backpack and headgear for Breaker. helmets that actually fit. Zap body and new head for Short-Fuse. I assembled basically all the 0-13 and i'd still get it, especially if the box was nice.

I'll never understood people not wanting a mustache on Zap ~ the only reason he was lacking it in 82 was cuz the O-13 were essentially frankenjoes with a minimum of new parts. He even had it on the card art.
The Stache on Zap makes him looke ver suave... I dig it.

Zefram
11-17-2009, 08:47 PM
(Badly) sung to the tune of "One Day More" from Les Miserable.

"One rant moooore..."
"Another day to see, another test for me"
"One rant moooore..."
"My patience, is at an end,"
"Will it break, or will it bend"
"One rant moooore..."
"Surely not another thread, about a topic that is dead!"
"One rant moooore..."
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nw8fcHV1bdE/RczM0rjYctI/AAAAAAAAABg/WEHJnFRLG5A/s400/Simon+Cowell.jpg