PDA

View Full Version : marvel runs hayday

alley viper 201
11-03-2009, 10:10 PM
i have only bein reading the marvel run now as they have been re-released on trade by idw and i have heard alot of people say how good the marvel run was in its hayday. So i was wondering at what stage of the run you guys thought this was ?

ChaplainAsst
11-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I can tell you when it was NOT in it's hey day - when Ninja Force came along (and when the title of the comic featured Snake Eyes).

snakeeyes22
11-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I think it depends on who is saying it and when they grew up, not to mention which characters and titles they read.

In general, I'd say it's the late 60s - mid 70s or so.
Spider-man had really hit it's stride, and all of the major Lee/Kirby characters were established to the point that there was a true Marvel Universe of characters to interact.

But this ignores the X-Men, whose international team is the most
often remembered and imitated. Wolverine, Nightcrawler and the gang had their "classic" stories in the late 70s - mid eighties I believe.

I'm no expert though, just a nerd.

Scoop
11-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I can tell you when it was NOT in it's hey day - when Ninja Force came along (and when the title of the comic featured Snake Eyes).

You are complaining about Ninja Force and not Battle Force 2000?

I would take Ninja Force over that garbage any day. That goes the same for those Eco Warriors as well.

Ninjas rule, Neon drools!

ChaplainAsst
11-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Ahhh, but Battle Force were all killed off which added to the "realism" of the comic. So, they were horrible but didn't last long. Ninja Force sneaked back into the DDP run, and stayed to the end!

turner
11-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Hey man, the marvel run is excellent! Yeah, it got a little crazy with too much ninja force and brainwave scanner (and I liked the ninja force and brainwave scanner!), mostly the firefly/transforming castle was the low point. All else was outstanding!

Jaybird
11-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Personally, I love the storyline going on from after the first attack on the Pit through the birth of Serpentor (20ish to 50ish).

turner
11-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Some of the ones I liked best were the silent issues: 21 and yearbook 3, and the one where zartan and the red ninjas attack storm shadow at his martial arts school. Great stuff. I really liked 152 with joe colton. In terms of serpentor, riding around with the baroness tied to the "hood" of a hiss tank, gotta love it. Even the few not written by hama were pretty good, the one where roadblock finds himself on a cobra plane-enjoyed it! It's way easier to pick the very few that were sub par than to list all the great ones...

nacho
11-03-2009, 11:25 PM
The first 20 issues are "setup". Good issues, establish the universe and characters, but clearly they were finding their legs.

21-30 really introduce a new big wave of '84 characters and set the stage for the best run. The silent issue and origin of SE are awesome.

31-57 + YB3 are what I consider the golden age of the Marvel run. It's some of my favorite comics of all time, Joe or otherwise. Mostly penciled by Rod Whigham, these stories stand the test of time and are a blast to reread.

58-78 are very good. The whole gulag saga and the cobra civil war are great, but you can feel the less popular elements creeping in, such as BF2000.

79-99 was a somewhat stagnant era, sort of a holding pattern as the comic tries to decide what direction to head. More ninjas and sci-fi elements creeping in. Overall, some good stuff, but not what I consider the best.

100-118 the comic gets a second wind, and there is some pretty neat stuff in there. The whole middle eastern war and the deaths of many long time popular Joes really crank the action knob to '11'.

119-154 are a very mixed bag. There are some neat stories scattered amongst some real crap. Ninja Force, Eco Warriors, Transformers Generation 2, and other goofy elements really hit home that the toy line was throwing ideas at the wall to see what would stick (not much did), and the comic was forced to follow along. :(

155 - Who wouldn't love this issue. Great stuff.

snakeeyes22
11-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah...I gave an answer regarding marvel comics in general. How stupid of me.
I think Joe comics' quality is related to how ridiculous the toys were that had to be forced into the issues that year, so 83-86 is probably it, with all the most memorable characters introduced.

chuck x goren
11-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I agree with Nacho and Jaybord's comments.

But "Heyday" could also refer to the SALES of the book. In that regard, the book was a big seller from about 1983 (issue 16 or so) to 1989 (issue 85 or so).

In fact, in the Summer of 1988 Marvel placed what were, essentially, their four most popular books on a bi-weekly schedule. The four were:
-Amazing Spider-Man
-Uncanny X-men
-Captain America
-GI Joe

Marvel did the same thing for the summer of 1989, but GI Joe's popularity had declined somewhat within that year.

Echo7Solo
11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
didn't have as much of a problem with BF2k as I did with the ninjas. I mean BF2k was taken out real quick so it pretty much made the point "ok this is a bad idea, we will deal with it"

Ninjas on the other hand were way out of hand. I mean Ninjas are cool but the more you see them and the more you use them the less cool they are. When it turned to the point that it was pretty much all about what the ninja is doing it takes away from everything.

zuludelta
11-04-2009, 07:30 PM
It's probably different for everybody, but my favourite stretch of the original Marvel comics was from issue #50 to #76 (coincidentally, it spans Serpentor's creation and death... which is funny since I never liked the character).

It contains my two favourite storylines and what I consider to be Hama's peak as the GI Joe comics writer: the Devlin Winchell/Borovia storyline and the Sierra Gordo revolution. Those two had the perfect mix of even-handed political satire and comic book action. That stretch also has the Cobra Civil War, which, while not on my list of top stories, is better than most of the extended stories that followed. It was also during that 25-issue run that Ron Wagner, I think, really hit his stride as a penciller (and the occasional fill-in artists weren't bad either).

The original Marvel GI Joe: Special Missions was also great, everyting from issue #3 up until the final issue (#28) is at least as good as the better stories in the main title, with the added bomus that most of hte issues were self-contained, done-in-one stories reminiscent of Bronze Age style storytelling.

ChaplainAsst
11-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree with Zulu - Special Missions are the true "hayday" of this series. You need the main line to know the characters, but these stories were very good.