PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe is popular again!!

chief_1
10-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Went to the local Halloween store with my sons to get costumes. They want to be Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow this year. The guy behind the counter said they have been sold out of both for over a week! He said half of the boys that come into his store are looking for those costumes. I was able to find the last 2 in thier size at a Wal-Mart last week, everyone is sold out now.

Please, please please Hasbro, don't blow this!!!!

Lody
10-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Hmm-I wonder if this is more because kids just seem to LOVE ninjas....they go ape shit over them.

Troynos
10-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Probably a bit of both. Joe is getting popular again (where's the cartoon to keep the Joe Locomotive going?) and kids go gaga over ninjas.

sharke
10-17-2009, 03:14 PM
I go gaga over ninjas....

chief_1
10-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Everyone loves ninjas! I watched "Enter the Ninja" on TV the other day. horrible acting, but they use a pretty good ninja arsenal for the fight scenes!

samantha
10-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Ninjas are always cool and GI Joe is very popular with the Elementary age kids.

Lody
10-17-2009, 03:25 PM
My 3 year old sone was going to go as SE but the costume we could have done ourselves and I was going to pay those prices for the "deluxe" version with the muscles...so he settled on Bumblebee

sharky
10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I saw two kids hunting the pegs for a SE figure. They found it and were excited, but their mom wouldn't buy it for them. :(

bigdaddyblue73
10-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Well if Joes are popular again then I hate em. No way I wanna be popular.

Jmacq1
10-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Probably a bit of both. Joe is getting popular again (where's the cartoon to keep the Joe Locomotive going?) and kids go gaga over ninjas.

It took Hasbro almost a year to get Transformers Animated after Transformers. It'll probably be about the same amount of time for G.I. Joe.

Look at it this way: The last big animated Joe property failed pretty badly (Sigma 6), and the last "small" one (Resolute) was well-received by fans...but pretty much was ONLY received by fans.

Making an animated series is an expensive undertaking. If the movie had completely tanked, but Hasbro had been cranking money out to make a "tie in" animated series to debut alongside or shortly thereafter, that would've been a huge risk of wasted money.

Plus, with the Hasbro/Discovery Kids venture, it might not be in Hasbro's best interests to crank out a Joe toon as soon as possible, since then they'll have to convince someone to carry it, when instead they can hold off and have a "built in" network to air it on.

It's not just as simple as "OK, movie did OK, let's debut the animated series!" in other words.

DJ Radio Raheem
10-17-2009, 09:12 PM
I still don't see to many kids buying the toys in my area

Steelgrave
10-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Cool! It's popular again! Now go buy all those damn wave 1 & 2 figures.

Yeah, YOU!!! STOP reading this crap & go buy some figures!

Well? What are you waiting for? GO NOW!!!

ChaplainAsst
10-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I see parents buying them for Xmas presents - particularly when they go on sale.

snakeeyes22
10-17-2009, 09:33 PM

Exactly. Toss a cartoon on Cartoon Network, advertise it alot.
Step 2: profit.

I'd say it's a little more than kids loving ninjas. Most are probably somewhat aware of the characters. Either way, they have weapons and are pretty badass looking.

I hope this awareness means some toy sales too. Then again, Snake Eyes is already pegwarming a lot less than most of the others, besides whatever's new.

I guess at $8-$10, you get to pick one, and it's going to be the super ninja.

Goldface
10-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Ding-Dong

Door opens.

Little boys: "Trick or treat."

Old lady: "My oh my, what are you boys dressed up as?"

Little boys: "Peg warmers!"

DaViper
10-17-2009, 09:48 PM
ding-dong

door opens.

Little boys: "trick or treat."

old lady: "my oh my, what are you boys dressed up as?"

little boys: "peg warmers!"

lmao!

JohnnyAngel77
10-17-2009, 10:01 PM
My 8 year old freaking loved the movie. He wants all the ROC stuff he sees. He doesn't really care for the old vintage stuff much either. He did want to be Snake Eyes so we got him the suit with the muscle chest piece and nice detail. Not the REALLY cheap one though. He does love ninjas though too so its pretty sweet that he can enjoy both of them together with GI Joe. He does love the old cartoons though, a lot.

JR0d28
10-17-2009, 10:07 PM
When was it never popular

All thru the late 60s and early 70s it was popular

82-88 WAS ITS PLATINUM YEARS!!!!

88-91 Good but not as good as the old days

92-95 barely makin it

02-05 meh

07-current
BACK IN THE SADDLE!

Gamble
10-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Hmm-I wonder if this is more because kids just seem to LOVE ninjas....they go ape shit over them.

Yes.

Kids have always loved them. It's the adults I worry about..........