PDA

View Full Version : Why are people excited about the Pursuit of Cobra line...?

MaxGoof
10-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't follow Joe news religiously or anything, so I was surprised to see that there seems to be a TON of anticipation for the Pursuit of Cobra line. And I can't really figure out why.

The new Jungle Viper and Cobra Tracker figures look wicked cool, but otherwise almost everything else being released is just some rehashy figure. Desert Ripcord? Arctic Duke? Jungle Cobra Commander? WTF? Isn't this what people HATED about the 25th line and the movie line--Having Duke and Snake-Eyes and Cobra Commander released in every wave?? Why are people so excited for this stuff?

Plus, most of the vehicles seem to be "meh" like that helicopter with the freaky blades, or repaints of old vehicles.

I'm not trying to be cynical, I just don't see why people are so excited about something that just seems kinda... dull?

bigdaddyblue73
10-02-2009, 11:21 PM
We they all look awesome!

But....

and here's my prediction...

they are gonna get postponed. ROC sales are disappointing.

But their will plenty of repaint issues.:D

Ixz72
10-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't follow Joe news religiously or anything, so I was surprised to see that there seems to be a TON of anticipation for the Pursuit of Cobra line. And I can't really figure out why.

The new Jungle Viper and Cobra Tracker figures look wicked cool, but otherwise almost everything else being released is just some rehashy figure. Desert Ripcord? Arctic Duke? Jungle Cobra Commander? WTF? Why are people so excited for this stuff?

The new POC line (based on what was shown at SDCC'09) have awesome sculpts and details. Why can't we be excited, it's the new evolution of GI Joe. The product appeals to most of us and after all isn't this a GI Joe fan site.

As far as rehashy (sic), except for probably the head, the details on the Arctic Duke and Desert Ripcord look awesome. It's a new, and more detailed sculpt.

Let me ask you Maxgoof, if it were up to you what would be the next GI Joe product? Because you seem to dislike both new stuff and re-issues.

SNAKE EYES
10-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Because of these pics: GIJCC09 - G.I.Joe Rise Of Cobra Panel & Updated Display Images - GI Joe News (http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/conventions-9/gijcc09---gijoe-rise-of-cobra-panel--updated-display-images-8893/) and more here:
GIJCC09 - Friday Re-Cap with Updated Hasbro Showcase Images - GI Joe News (http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/conventions-9/gijcc09---friday-re-cap-with-updated-hasbro-showcase-images-8892/)

Zoltron
10-02-2009, 11:30 PM
They are some of the best figures. Its like Spy troops/VvV all over again except the figures look awesome and we actually have new characters.

mikevoltz
10-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm looking forward to the new spin on Beachhead and Firefly. The cobra tracker with dreads and Recondo look cool also. I love the new modern look. Why does an Advanced Military Special force have to look like something drug out of the 80's to satisfy anyone?

shlappyguy
10-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Well, in the long run, lots of new body parts to make new characters with. The now: well, I hated the 25th multi-Dukes as much as the next guy, but, for the most part, they were all just repaints of the same mold. With the Pursuit of Cobra, each figure, even the new Dukes, is a new, well-thought out mold. And I can easily pop off his head, pop on someone else's, and voila, it's a new figure.

dmizrok
10-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey, let him not like them...just means more for us OTHER Albany NY hunters lol

ShockVal
10-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Rule 37: Enjoy the small things.

CobraViper81
10-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Are you kidding?! The POC figs look great!!!!

Steelgrave
10-03-2009, 11:31 AM
From the collectors point of view they look great. But from a parents point of view it's the same figure that their kid already has. Parents aren't gonna buy their kids a million versions of the same character. Not for $8 a pop. "You already have Snake-Eyes!", "You never play with the Duke you have at home, I'm not buying another one!". This is a stupid move for Hasbro. The same exact stupid move Mattel made with the 2002 MOTU line. The figures aren't selling as it is. Now add more Dukes & Snake-Eyes to the million Dukes & Snake-Eyes already clogging the pegs & you have a huge problem. The retailers are gonna be pissed when this shit doesn't move.

The Batman
10-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Well dammit, if the stores would put Waves 1 and 2 on clearance where other Waves could come in... hell yeah more people would buy the line. But we sit here on our duffs waiting for something to happen and it never does. At least TRU tries with their ads and restocks. Wal Mart and Target don't do a damn thing.

If I ever see POC on the pegs at Wally or Target... I will be surprised and astonished!

M. Aster Karver
10-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Jungle Viper and I'm done.

kingofpain26
10-03-2009, 12:07 PM
geez, heaven forbid someone has an opinion other than my own!!!!

As a collector, the figures look cool.

and contrary to popular belief, Kids will love these figures. As long as there is some media to keep them enamored with Joe (keep putting out the DVDs!) they will still ask for them. My son has ROC Snake Eyes ans Storm Shadow, yet STILL asks me for the new ones he sees in Toyfare Magazine ever since he saw the movie. (Dude, he's a kid, they like toys)

but most colletcors like it becase a lot of us are, well, a little tired of getting the same figures. Lets face it, the 25th line, cool as it looked, were simply updates of the originals we already own. the ROC/POC line gives us cool updates of original characters, without the sculpting glitches of the New Sculpt line.

sharky
10-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Repainting and rehashing of GI-Joe figures has been going on since the first release of Joes in the 80s.

rob0213
10-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Why not be excited? They look cool. I am cool with some repaints, if done in the right way. I look forward to seeing the PoC figs.

turner
10-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm with you MaxGoof. I'm not very excited about it. I'm still buying 25th and making customs.

footloose
10-03-2009, 12:34 PM
yep those figs look sweet. to bad we will probably never see them. ROC wave 1 will be takin up all the shelf space.

Syn3sthesia
10-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Because is better than the ROC line.

BadWolf
10-03-2009, 12:39 PM
No need to beat up on the poor guy, he was just asking a legitamate question. He had some good points about the same characters over and over all of a sudden everyones cool with it! Before you bite my head off about it, I am anticipating a few myself. Why do you so violently rush to defend your opinion around here when clearly no one is attacking you?

DaViper
10-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I think what most people griped about in the past was getting REPAINTS of the same character and not the released of a different mold, so I think you're getting a little confused here. PoC maybe giving us some of the same characters we've seen before but they're redeco in all new look with awesome gear. Plus there are some great new characters we have not seen before and to me that is step toward expanding the joe universe.

M.A.R.S.Command
10-03-2009, 12:50 PM
They look awesome specially ZARTAN

The Conflict
10-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Even I think these new figures look cool and I dont own one roc figure. Like I always say,whatever keeps gi joe alive,Im all for it.

snakeeyes22
10-03-2009, 01:16 PM
I think the entire strateg behind it is fun. Rather than endlessly making offscreen movie characters, or really forced frankenjoes and repaints, like the red ninja and nano viper kind of are, there is an enrire storyline being pushed, with new characters and oufits having a reason to exist.

Lots of fans love building squads for specific environments, and POC provides 4 separate themes. I may get tired of seeing a Wayans head by the 7th time, but at least when I see that head on a Parka, I know it will have a reason to exist.

Another big reason is a return to some classic characters and design styles. Some of the more popular ROC characters have been not from the film, but from the game, or other sources that provide more color than the drab black and blue film palette. POC is like an entire line of this stuff, a mix of modern military and classic unique designs.

Also, the sculpts are pretty phenomenal, and I think the creative energy behind it, springboarding from the established ROC stuff into a lot of fun ideas is pretty impressive

ZombieSnake
10-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm going to agree with pretty much everything snakeeyes22 said. These go beyond simple repaints of the same figures over and over, and are very awesome designs that, at worst, will greatly expand my GI Joe collection simply by popping on some different heads.

RayH
10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Theres a difference beetween just repainting the same duke and cc endlessly and giving them new sculpts for different enviornments. Plus the way I'll display the figures i would need a specific enviornment versions of certain charcters to go on each theme shelf.

I'm just in love with the POC designs, they seem like some of the best thought out, super sculpted figures weve ever gotten. I can't wait to see POC ersions of more people and how they'll look. I want major bludd so bad and stalker.

CrimsonGuard101
10-03-2009, 02:31 PM
They are the best and most detailed/accessoried figures to date! How can you not see that? Plus they are exploring new molds, ideas, new vehicles to boot, the 4 environments will allow specific troop building and have all sorts of figure looks for each!

The only issue is getting past the black eye of ROC with the retailers. I hope christmas blows the remaining ROC stuff out so we do not have delays/cancellations of PoC with Target or TRU....Walmart has already shown us thier backbone with support and I bet they will contonue to decline Joe support and dwindle shelf space/orders if not be done with it totally since they got into ROC so late in the game...

steve2477
10-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Cause they all look awesome, i love the new look for Snowjob and Beach Head.

ChaplainAsst
10-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I can think of a few reasons: 1) They seem to sliding some of the Resolute characters in with this line. 2) Many of the figures are so generic or unusual, they could be many different characters in the ARAH series (Zaran, Ice Storm, Jungle Viper). 3) It is Hasbro's way of moving us AWAY from RoC and towards the future. There is a new CC coming that is suppose to placate so many that were upset with the movie version.

plague
10-03-2009, 02:50 PM
does this mean the poc aren't coming out when they're dated to do so? there's so many i want. firefly and zartan for two. if they don't hit the shelves ever, is there a place i can get them online?
is hasbro still planning an iron klaw figure?

GI abe444
10-03-2009, 03:02 PM
There some cool Figures coming out thats why were excited and finally another Mail in Cobra Commander we can get . Don't know why i Didnt get one when i was a youngen lol. But now its my chance !!

Shin Densetsu
10-04-2009, 12:07 AM
The POC figures pretty much look like designs not restricted by the movie and letting the design team go unleashed; creative takes on popular characters. Some of them look much better and classical than they did in the movie. Case in point? ZARTAN. Holy crap.

Now the others seem cool too, most of them have an arsenal if gear without going overkill like Battle Corps. For example look at Jungle Assault Storm Shadow, fairly neat gear and the web gear is awesome. I like the creative takes that the design team took on the characters, they make the current movie line designs look plain.

In somewhat of a parallel fashion, Hasbro is also doing something similar with the ROTF line, it transitions to some NEST battle line and has some awesome characters which blend classic looks with movie aesthetic. Like voyager Bludgeon, who IMHO fits in better with Classic figures than movie

Shin Densetsu
10-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Also I should add, as evidenced by Gyre-Vipers Storm Shadow prototype, I suspect that the Jungle Assault version will lack a shirt.

Always confused me why Hasbro likes the shirtless, Storm Shadows with web gear or vests.

ShakeZula77
10-04-2009, 12:12 AM
The one and only reason I'm excited JUNGLE VIPER.................:D

Monkeywrench
10-04-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm not excited about them. The Zartan looks badass but the rest is a pass

coola784
10-04-2009, 12:23 AM
i cant understand why everyone is creaming in their pants for this crap either, hasbro has really gotten lazy and you can disagree with me but all these figs are just rehashes and thats it. there are so many figs from the ARAH line that havnt been made yet and if hasbro wanted to add to them then im all for it but this POC line is shit and so is ROC and at 9 bucks a fig they are going to rot on the shelves untill they get clearenced out.

Sgt. Stowell
10-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Rule 37: Enjoy the small things.

just got back from that and loved it!

I think the new joes look great.

Sgt. Stowell
10-04-2009, 12:34 AM
i cant understand why everyone is creaming in their pants for this crap either, hasbro has really gotten lazy and you can disagree with me but all these figs are just rehashes and thats it. there are so many figs from the ARAH line that havnt been made yet and if hasbro wanted to add to them then im all for it but this POC line is shit and so is ROC and at 9 bucks a fig they are going to rot on the shelves untill they get clearenced out.

don't buy them at a drug store and they won't cost 9 dollars ;)

snakeeyes22
10-04-2009, 12:58 AM
From the collectors point of view they look great. But from a parents point of view it's the same figure that their kid already has. Parents aren't gonna buy their kids a million versions of the same character. Not for $8 a pop. "You already have Snake-Eyes!", "You never play with the Duke you have at home, I'm not buying another one!". This is a stupid move for Hasbro. The same exact stupid move Mattel made with the 2002 MOTU line. The figures aren't selling as it is. Now add more Dukes & Snake-Eyes to the million Dukes & Snake-Eyes already clogging the pegs & you have a huge problem. The retailers are gonna be pissed when this shit doesn't move.

A lot of stores are packed full of ROC stuff, but I wouldn't say Snake Eyes is clogging pegs. From some of the threads I see pop up here, some people are having a tough time finding the Paris Pursuit version, and I don't see it most places, and the regular version is tougher to find some of the places where the stuff isn't sitting.

I wouldn't call he POC concept very stupid on it's own, as it was based around the idea of ROC being a monster hit in the toy aisles. I do think that the overexpectations of the film product may have been a bit stupid, which lead to overproduction and overordering of the initial waves of stuff that are in the way of any newer stuff showing up, so I do see your point. I have seen several parents as well as new nostalgic collectors picking stuff up, but I think prices and the economy combined with an abundance of wave 1 stock keeps the aisles packed full of boring.

I'm still pretty excited about POC though. I personally don't mind a new version of a character that isn't a repaint. Those butt-ugly Skeletor repaints certainly helped kill the MOTU 2002 stuff, so I do hope they don't go too far down repaint road!

The MOTU 2002 cartoon underperformed I think, and similar to ROC, people may have overestimated child interest in adult based nostalgia. I do like that POC has a built in storyline that is more of a vague continuation of the film rather than directly dependent on it. Time will tell if the kids bite, and hopefully, post film stuff will take up fewer pegs so it actually has time to move, like the 25th stuff often did. So I don't really think you're wrong, but for the sake of seeing some fun stuff out there, I hope you are.

Mandingo Rex
10-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Like was stated before, POC breaks from the constraints of the film's story and designs... Which leads me to wonder if there won't be a cartoon tie-in related to POC...

The storyline seems to drastically differ from where the film left off, and where I imagine the second film will pick up.

Spoiler, so don't read if you don't want a spoiler and haven't seen the film....

At the end of the film, Zartan's "in disguise" and undercover as a high-profile official, and I don't expect him to be outed, or off-duty from his new "day job" with time to be doing regular Cobra-deeds, until the second film deals with that. Cobra Commander and Destro are in prison, and Cobra seems to have been captured, for the time being.

I expect "GI Joe 2" to pick up after where 1 left off, or hope so, because I felt that the "mole" storyline was actually pretty good for a Cobra plot. It sure sets up the second film to get a bit worse for our heroes, and establish some cool things for the villains as CC and Destro are ultimately "released" or pardoned...

Which leads me to think that POC follows a different storyline and canon from the film. Possibly following the same characters, but how else can they go off searching for CC in the Jungle, or Destro in the desert, or Zartan in disguise, if everyone's "preoccupied" until film 2 starts?

ShockVal
10-04-2009, 01:08 AM
I have no grand articulate reason. I love GI Joe toys and action movies too.

RockinHard
10-05-2009, 10:50 PM
don't buy them at a drug store and they won't cost 9 dollars ;)
Yes, it's true. You do know everything.

Jediorc
10-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty excited about these figure's. They are such a different feel from the ROC line. They don't follow any story so you can make up your own movie line. Pose them in any environment you choose. Make your own JoeVerse...

In Like Flint
10-05-2009, 10:58 PM
I'll buy some of the figures, I'm sure... But, I really, really dislike the name name very, very, very much... It sounds kind of... I don't know, dumb?

What?? Pursuit of HAPPINESS? NO, Pursuit of COBRA, you sillyass!!

Bah.

I got some new ROC figures, and then I got some new POC figures!!! Awesome!!!

POCK?!?!

Zoltron
10-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I'll buy some of the figures, I'm sure... But, I really, really dislike the name name very, very, very much... It sounds kind of... I don't know, dumb?

What?? Pursuit of HAPPINESS? NO, Pursuit of COBRA, you sillyass!!

Bah.

I got some new ROC figures, and then I got some new POC figures!!! Awesome!!!

POCK?!?!

Its still better than "Chasing Cobra" or "How we make money in 2010"