PDA

View Full Version : Commonly misheard song lyrics!

zuludelta
09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Just listening to my man Bob Marley recently and remembered there was a particular lyric I thought was hilarious when I was an adolescent.

It sounds like he's saying "Tears in my sperm" at around 2:50 of the following video:

YouTube - Bob Marley - Waiting in Vain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggVNev47dnQ)

Of course, I know that he's actually saying "tears in my eyes burn" but I just can't get the misheard lyrics from popping into my head 2 decades after first hearing the song.

Other misheard lyrics I can't get out of my head:

- Hendrix's "'scuse me, while I kiss this guy" (from Purple Haze's "'scuse me, while I kiss the sky")

- On Alanis Morrisette's "You Oughta Know," she sings about "the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me.” I don't know if it qualifies as a misheard lyric, though, since the original line is "the cross I'd bear that you gave to me” which is phonetically identical, just semantically very different.

Reznor
09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Yall remember Bush? Machine Head?

"I got a mushy head" :)

sharke
09-29-2009, 07:01 PM
remember "sail away" being used in "why don't you get a job" by The Offspring

speedocub
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I was once challenged about the Blondie song Rapture. She was adamant that the song said "finger f*c*ng"...of course it does not.

MrClean
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
The way Hetfield sings Metallica's "Whiskey in a Jar" sounds like "Whiskey and a Gyro"

"Hetfield Latin" - just add -rrrrro to the end of any word.

cable-nathan
09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Reminds me of that episode of Friends where Phoebe is singing Tiny Dancer and she thinks it says "Hold me close, young Tony Danza."

Dansolo
09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche, into the rotor of the night.

Q: "Blinded By the Light, Revved Up Like a?" What? - Blogcritics Music (http://blogcritics.org/music/article/q-blinded-by-the-light-revved/)

Sgt. Kayfabe
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
CCR Badmoon: when they sing "there's a badmoon on the right" it sounds like "there's a bathroom on the right."

zuludelta
09-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche, into the rotor of the night.

Q: "Blinded By the Light, Revved Up Like a?" What? - Blogcritics Music (http://blogcritics.org/music/article/q-blinded-by-the-light-revved/)

Man, that song annoyed me so such as a kid, precisely because I could never figure out what he was saying (remember, this was pre-internet, and the cassette my friend had didn't come with the liner/lyric notes).

ShockVal
09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Iron Butterfly
"In the garden of eden"....

Dansolo
09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
- On Alanis Morrisette's "You Oughta Know," she sings about "the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me.” I don't know if it qualifies as a misheard lyric, though, since the original line is "the cross I'd bear that you gave to me” which is phonetically identical, just semantically very different.

My wife still laughs at me for hearing this one. Glad I'm not the only one...

swafus
09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
AC/DC = Dirty deeds and their done dirt cheap = thirty thieves and the thunder chief

Freedom
09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
The Rolling Stones
I'll be your beast of burden
I'll be your pizza burnin'

BadWolf
09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Megadeth "Sweating Buttocks"

If this never occured to you listen to it again. It will ruin the song for life!

zuludelta
09-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Megadeth "Sweating Buttocks"

If this never occured to you listen to it again. It will ruin the song for life!

Heh. I hear it as "sweating bollocks," though. I don't know what's worse :D

BTW, that song has one of my favourite guitar solos by Marty Friedman from that record (still pales against his work on "Rust In Peace," though).

Vulcan Raven
09-29-2009, 08:01 PM
AC/DC = Dirty deeds and their done dirt cheap = thirty thieves and the thunder chief

LMAO, man i always thought he said Dirty deeds and the Dunder Chief!

I don't even no what that means, if anything! LOL

zuludelta
09-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Iron Butterfly
"In the garden of eden"....

Funny thing about Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is that its working title during recording was actually "In the Garden of Eden." At some point though, they decided to change it to the nonsensical "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (after how the producer or one of the sound engineers, I think, pronounced "in the garden of eden," while working drunk and/or stoned at the recording booth).

Whatever its origins, though it's still one of my favourite Simpsons musical numbers:

In the Garden of Eden by the Springfield Congregation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ9J1RfoYjQ)

sharke
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
the origin is that the singer was stoned out of his mind when he sang! :D

mister-x
09-29-2009, 09:07 PM
glorified G-pearl jam

4 flying virgins on a peli-can, is what my wife hears...
actual lyrics= glorified version of a pellet-gun

but who knows with eddie vedder? its all cool mumble-grumbles anyway

sharke
09-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Jimi Hendrix's "excuse me while I kiss this guy"

Unclassified
09-29-2009, 09:38 PM
The way Hetfield sings Metallica's "Whiskey in a Jar" sounds like "Whiskey and a Gyro"

"Hetfield Latin" - just add -rrrrro to the end of any word.

yes it does.. i make my own words up to songs, knowing they are not the words, but i sing em on purpose when they are on.
i say kareem abdul jabar hey yeah ,wack for my daddy o, wack for my daddy o there's whiskey in the gyro..

god they suck.. if there is ever a awesome song an you want to hear it ruined in a cover, metallica is the group for the job.. right james? hey yeah unclassified heh heh hey.. exactly.....

Barefoot Jedi
09-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I love this topic!!! And of course, somebody beat me to "Blinded By The Light."

Have some adult contemporary on me:

"Your Body Is A Wonderland" by John Mayer

Tickle your big plants
And break 'em

"Superman's Song" by Five For Fighting

I'm only a man in a silly red sheet
Diggin' for kryptonite on this one-way street
I'm only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things
In sodomy, in sodomy

swafus
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Pink Floyd - the wall "no dark sarcasm, in the classroom" = the dukes of hazzard in the classroom

Zartanman
09-29-2009, 10:38 PM
When I was a kid I thought Dirty Deeds by Ac/Dc was "Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief."

Zartanman
09-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Tom Petty Free Falling = Free Balling

Barefoot Jedi
09-29-2009, 10:42 PM
I drive my car and just sing random words of things I see to the melody of songs containing lyrics of which I'm unfamiliar and/or can't understand.

Crimson Gord
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
CCR Badmoon: when they sing "there's a badmoon on the right" it sounds like "there's a bathroom on the right."

this is what i was going to say.

zuludelta
09-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Pink Floyd - the wall "no dark sarcasm, in the classroom" = the dukes of hazzard in the classroom

Ha! I thought I was the only one who heard it that way :D

TheLongestDay
09-29-2009, 11:06 PM
My mum thought Metallicas Sad but true was "zed control" and Bush's chemicals between us was "kenny comes between us"...

Mind you I thought in Unforgiven the Het was singing "deprived of all his FOX..."

Agoga
09-29-2009, 11:11 PM
remember "sail away" being used in "why don't you get a job" by The Offspring

I'm pretty sure its Obla Dee Obla Da by the Beatles.

RATFINK
09-29-2009, 11:12 PM
gorillas feel good inc

''milk dud''

sharke
09-30-2009, 07:41 AM
gorillas feel good inc

''milk dud''

LMAO! nice!

The BLAY
09-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Anberlin - Blame me

the line is:

Leave me out of this, life's a sinking ship so blame me blame me blame me

I thought it was:
Leave me out of this, lights on sinking ships are gleaming gleaming gleaming

I like my version better lol

jeff117
09-30-2009, 08:10 AM
pussycat dolls "whenn i grow up" they said groupies not boobies.
common topic when this song is playing. and, no i don't listen to the pussycat dolls.

sci-find
09-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Slipknot's left behind

I annoy you (I ignore you)
And just a moment later
I feel 'em all sipping away (I feel it all slipping away)

The Batman
09-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Here is a damn good one... go listen to this one and tell me if you hear this:

Iron Maiden
Can I play with madness?

CAN I PLAY WITH MY ASS???

If your just listening to it in the background and not paying attention... that's exactly what it sounds like!!

manicmotive
10-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Not so much commonly misheard by most I'm sure. But everytime I hear lady gaga and stupid paparazzi, I sing POP-ROCK, POP-ROCK NAZI.

Unclassified
10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
santana black magic woman,

i say i gotta crack addict woman.