PDA

View Full Version : Captain Grid-Iron

Hughes11B19D
08-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Got bored and decided to give the West Point douchebag a modern era update.

09 Captain Grid-Iron
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/hughes19d/09gi.jpg

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/hughes19d/09gi1.jpg

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/hughes19d/09gi3.jpg

M_renegade
08-30-2009, 04:55 AM
Wow, not bad..not bad at all! :)

I'm impressed actually, very good choice of parts, it really looks like an update of him. It is new, but it has the style of him. Awesome!

But...Grid-Iron can't be around without his ball-grenades lol :D

Bulkhide
08-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Pretty good shot at the character. What did you make the helmet from?

Capt. Grid-Iron is one of my biggest hidden vices from GIJoe. I really loved the character as a kid, and I still like him even though I realize how terrible he really was now.

Hughes11B19D
08-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I gotta find some of those.

Head-Fred
entire figure-ROC Firefly
Battle Rattle- ROC pit Commando
Helmet- one of those lame NFL figures that keep the shelves nice and warm near the McFarlane sports toys.

Bulkhide
08-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Have you thought of cutting the "skirt" off and just having the chest gear? That might add to the figure's look.

coola784
08-30-2009, 05:17 AM
thats actually a really cool take on grid iron, great work.

M_renegade
08-30-2009, 05:21 AM
Yeah, I gotta find some of those.

Head-Fred
entire figure-ROC Firefly
Battle Rattle- ROC pit Commando
Helmet- one of those lame NFL figures that keep the shelves nice and warm near the McFarlane sports toys.

Hum, can't you find small figures of football players?
maybe you could cut their balls...LoL! :D

Captain Carstein
08-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Cool custom.

Hughes11B19D
08-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Have you thought of cutting the "skirt" off and just having the chest gear? That might add to the figure's look.

I seriously thought about taking it off for looks, but I figured if I'm stuck wearing the nut guard on my vest then Captain Touchdown can deal with it too. Even if it is a unit that doesn't exist and has more freedoms with gear, I'm pretty sure the other Joes would tell Grid-Iron that he has to wear it or Hawk would write him a bad OER

I wanted a bunch of the footballs that came with the craptastic NFL toys, but they only came one per figure and at $6.99 a pop it wasn't worth it. I'm looking around for a bunch of loose footballs though. I love the Nerf Grenades Hawk issued him.

oliverbox
08-30-2009, 07:33 AM
100 guys could graduate from West Point and maybe 3 of them are rude and self absorbed. It's pretty terrible how that 3% sullies the name of the entire institution. West Point is the most prestigious institution for leadership and academic rigor in the country, possibly the world. I went through R.O.T.C. and the West Point grads I've known have been much better prepared to lead right out of the gate.

Grid-Iron's file card makes him one of the best qualified officers the Joes have ever had. He's a Division 1 College athlete, and graduated in the Top 10 of his Class... of one of the most difficult institutions in the World. He's an Infantry Officer, so he would be Airborne, and Ranger Qualified, and probably Air Assault qualified.

His cartoon persona was awful, but the whole cartoon at that time was terrible. His costume was questionable, but was better than the other sports-based characters: Bazooka, Hardball, Big Lob. At least Captain Grid-Iron's colors were fairly tactical.

West Pointers are high achievers. They were the multi-Sport Letterman and valedictorians in high school... well rounded, smart kids, who wanted to be the best. They are not always the most popular because very often, people of that caliber make insecure people feel inferior. To become a Top Ten grad and football player at the Academy, means that Grid-Iron would have been a very high achiever.

A lot of guys in the Army don't like West Pointers because a lot of guys that join the Army aren't high achievers. It's not so much a problem with the Academy; it's a problem with the service. Unfortunately, in America today, if people have talent they usually forgo the military and go to College. Don't all low-achievers hate/envy the high achievers?

Yeah, I don't think he's a douchebag... He's the guy raising the standards and the average I.Q. Thankfully, he's the guy leading.

And the figure looks really good. The Fred head works really well, and your paint job is really nice. Thanks for sharing these pics.

optimusred6
08-30-2009, 07:50 AM
not bad this Grid-Iron. it you cut the "skirt" off and make a better chest gear.it will give the figure's look. He has always been one of my favorite GI Joe Characters characters when I was as kid after Beachhead, Lady Jaye & Hawk.

Hughes11B19D
08-30-2009, 08:01 AM
NCO's Backbone of the Army. We lead. Officers do paperwork.

To me Grid-Iron is a TOC-Roach or Fobbit. He heads up the Battle Staff. He sits around from 0900 hr-1700 hr every day except weekends coming up with these crazy off the wall missions that are way too "hollywood" to pull off.

He's a CAB Chaser. He sit around all day surfing the net, e-mailing youtube video's that other Joes shot to his friends back home. He's the guy That puts himself in for a medal because he wrote the Op-Order that sent Stalker, Recondo, Leatherneck and Hit n Run into Cobra occupied battle space.

He's the guy that hardly ever gets to go outside the wire but the few times he does (usually on his way to some diplomatic hearts and minds meeting) he's praying for an ambush so he can add that CIB to his Class A's just because it's pretty.

He's the guy that puts himself in for a CIB just because Cobra launched a few mortars at The PIT and even though they landed 2 miles off target and didn't harm anything "He was there man"

He's also the guy who' puts himself in for a Purple Heart because during said Cobra Mortar attack he was at the copy machine and the rumble from the blast slammed the top of the machine on his finger and caused it to swell up a bit.

Thats pretty much what comes to mind when I think of Grid-Iron.

steve2477
08-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Nice.

sharke
08-30-2009, 08:46 AM
cool!

night force jazz
08-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I like Grid Iron's character, the bio on his filecard is full of potential for a great character and an ideal Officer. Too bad his original figure was ugly and his portrayal on that terrible cartoon was as much of a joke as every other Joe's was. I see him the way oliverbox described plus with a wicked competitive streak that intimidates a lot of folks.

That said, I love the recipe here, it's an amazing formula for a hardcore battel ready infantry leader, even with the gate on his k-pot. But I can't see past the atrocious color scheme. Please, make a second custom in military colors or repaint this one. http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b190/wookietattoo/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

xhairs
08-30-2009, 01:42 PM
very true to his v1 look. nice job.

Hughes11B19D
08-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah I was going to make this one in ACU's but I had to stick with my gut and go with the original colors. But, now that this one is knocked out I can get to work on Captain Turf Toe with more of a realistic color scheme.

night force jazz
08-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah I was going to make this one in ACU's but I had to stick with my gut and go with the original colors. But, now that this one is knocked out I can get to work on Captain Turf Toe with more of a realistic color scheme.
That sounds awesome, I'm excited to see the results of it!

blayze5150
08-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice job!

SNAKE_EYES1975
08-30-2009, 04:20 PM
I love Grid-Iron. I think the Filecard is a sweet idea for a Joe officer, and his description fits with real west pointers.
I did this one a lil while back..Its my favorite custom ive ever made.

Yours looks cool too..good job!

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs/30002-snake-eyes1975s-captain-grid-iron.html

Joecom
08-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Not bad its cool!

oliverbox
08-31-2009, 09:14 AM
NCO's Backbone of the Army. We lead. Officers do paperwork.

To me Grid-Iron is a TOC-Roach or Fobbit. He heads up the Battle Staff. He sits around from 0900 hr-1700 hr every day except weekends coming up with these crazy off the wall missions that are way too "hollywood" to pull off.

He's a CAB Chaser. He sit around all day surfing the net, e-mailing youtube video's that other Joes shot to his friends back home. He's the guy That puts himself in for a medal because he wrote the Op-Order that sent Stalker, Recondo, Leatherneck and Hit n Run into Cobra occupied battle space.

He's the guy that hardly ever gets to go outside the wire but the few times he does (usually on his way to some diplomatic hearts and minds meeting) he's praying for an ambush so he can add that CIB to his Class A's just because it's pretty.

He's the guy that puts himself in for a CIB just because Cobra launched a few mortars at The PIT and even though they landed 2 miles off target and didn't harm anything "He was there man"

He's also the guy who' puts himself in for a Purple Heart because during said Cobra Mortar attack he was at the copy machine and the rumble from the blast slammed the top of the machine on his finger and caused it to swell up a bit.

Thats pretty much what comes to mind when I think of Grid-Iron.

Well, you certainly put a lot of work, time and effort into a very nice figure of a character you don't think very highly of. I guess everyone needs cannon fodder, but I just use Green Shirts.

Sounds like you've had to work with some bad officers. There's no arguing with experience. Of course, every NCO I've ever known who hated officers was just a person with a problem with authority and a lot of insecurity issues who joined the Army because they couldn't get into a decent college or hold down a normal job... and the idea of killing people excited them. But that's just been my experience.

The Good NCO's I've known have rightly understood their job is to follow orders, and carry out the commands of their CO. Officers lead, NCO's make it happen. An NCO with an attitude is just as bad as a lazy officer... maybe worse because they usually have no idea what they're really doing and create a break in the chain of command.

Thunderlips
08-31-2009, 09:17 AM
I love it!

doomed huh
10-03-2011, 02:26 AM
Will they make a modern era capt grid iron?