PDA

View Full Version : just got back from children's E.R.

Gyre-Viper
08-18-2009, 02:24 AM
so I was on Hisstank while co-scouring ebay and taobao... when my girlfriend
called out from the bedroom "Can you come here for a sec, hon?"
so of course I thought she'd clogged and overflowed the toilet again or
needed help holding the child down for something since he's such an active
critter.

Anyways... so I get in the room and she says "he won't stop crying I think something is wrong." Now, something you should know about my 11 month old son... he only cries when he's bored, wet, or hungry. Otherwise he is the calmest, happiest, excited little beast ever. Something was definitely wrong.
So I picked him up and he got really upset and I noticed that one of his arms was limp.
apparently he'd been doing his best monkey impression as usual by swinging from
one part of his playpen to the other. arm over arm... arm under arm... like a monkey.

So off to the ER. I was trying to keep my cool. My girlfriend was frantic, obviously. We had left a message with our pediatrician (who oddly enough was my pediatrician... total coincidence .... not to mention my girlfriend's
OBGYN's practice partner is the guy who delivered me... another total coincidence (I'll let you define 'coincidence' as I don't generalize it)...anyways... so our pediatrician calls us as we're waiting in the
waiting room of the ER and after we've explained to him what is going on he says "oh it's nothing to worry about, it's just nurse maid arm. If you don't want to stay in the ER I can tell you how to fix it and you'll notice a
dramatic change almost instantly." Well that's a nice thought and all
but we opted to see a doctor anyways.. hhehheheheh. Not sure I'd feel
comfortable experimenting with my child's arm hehehehehehe.
anyways... so we get in to see the doctors (cuz in the emergency room
it takes a village)... and they say he's too young to have nurse maid arm or whatever.. we try to explain to him that being in the 95th percentile
for length and the 90th for weight... he's been doing a lot of things most
11 month olds don't do... he was rolling at 4 months, standing by holding things at 6, and is almost walking at 11. Still, they said... usually they
only see this in 2 year olds.

anyways... so then the real doctor comes and says 'go ahead and do the maneuver.' (the one our pediatrician was gonna tell us how to do to fix it).
So all three doctors take our son's arm and they all press in a certain spot... now mind you... my son would NOT lift his arm for anything.
we dangled everything we could and he wouldn't do it. If you tried to move his arm the slightest or if it accidentally moved... he'd get upset and start crying hard etc... so they all grab his arm and all press in different spots and BAM they twist and pop it back into place.

they all walk away and literally within 10 seconds my son was back to normal as if nothing ever happened. the entire time he was in pain
he was not himself. I did not get emotional when he was in pain because I was trying to focus and remain positive. 10 seconds after they popped
his little chubby arm... and his face lit up and he started kicking me and
reaching out with both arms to hold me... I started crying.
Part of it was relief, part of it was cuz I was happy he wasn't in pain,
part of it was cuz he was back to his normal amazing self, and part
of it was cuz I was AMAZED that that's all it took.
The doctor said it is one of their favorite things to do because it is something that actually works. heheheheheh.
anyways... wooo. rough night.

I am so happy he's okay .... I cannot tell you how elated I was when
he reverted back to himself. anyways... I don't care how small the
procedure was ... it was astonishing to see. very much the thorn in
the lion's foot.

arashikage tat
08-18-2009, 02:31 AM
that is amazing!!!! I'm seriously glad everything is okay with your little man

Barefoot Jedi
08-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Mon Dieu!

I am relieved for your sake.

1SGHauser
08-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Wow. Glad your boy is ok, I can empathize with you. I am the father of a 11 month old girl, who, like your son, is in the 90 somthinth percentile is size and weight and such. She's been walking since ten months and just a happy as hell baby who only cries when something is wrong. Most of the "wrong" things are because she has fallen and hit her massive head on something.

Looking at this beautiful little girl, I would have a hard time keeping composure if anyhting were to happen like this.

Odd how being a parent can turn even the hardest of hard-asses into wimpering sissies.

Gyre-Viper
08-18-2009, 02:35 AM
i've always thought of ER's as useless based on ALL of my experiences except for one. And then my son dislocates his arm and they do this weird twist reserved for infants and BAM ... it was like watching his personality reload.
i'm still taken aback.

Dawg99
08-18-2009, 02:37 AM
glad he's ok my 3 yr old is a maniac luckily no trips to the emergency room yet

midgettem1
08-18-2009, 02:38 AM
I'm glad your boy is ok!

Gyre-Viper
08-18-2009, 02:41 AM
thanks all. yeah we've been 'blessed' with what all the pediatricians, doctors,
other parents, etc call "a brute." well actually our one pediatrician says he's gonna grow up to be a sensitive cellist. 9 feet tall playing the cello. heheheheh.

we were actually instructed not to let him sleep in his crib anymore because he was trying to pull himself out by way of armpit. he'd drap his pits over the bars and then hoist himself.

so that's why he's always in his playpen cuz itz also his bed.
doctor's orders.

HonestAbeJoeHooah
08-18-2009, 02:43 AM
good to hear my friend!

I am glad you are all alright!

Lody
08-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Kids and ERs suck. Glad he's ok.

Hitman1072
08-18-2009, 02:45 AM
Glad to hear everything is OK.

Barefoot Jedi
08-18-2009, 02:51 AM
so that's why he's always in his playpen cuz itz also his bed.
doctor's orders.

Future adult toy collector.

Just like daddy.

Captain Carstein
08-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Great to hear everything turn out OK. :)

panzer
08-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Good to hear all`s well. Now you have MANY MANY MANY years of similar instances. Welcome to the world of worried father`s.

tycondrius
08-18-2009, 08:07 AM
woah dude . glad to here the little feller is ok . and it wasn't more serious . hope ya got the er staff to show ya that lil maneuver incase it happens again

sharke
08-18-2009, 09:53 AM
glad things worked out!

sharky
08-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Something like that would have totally freaked my wife out. I'm glad it all worked out. So, it sounds like his arm got disjointed or something? That's good info to pass around. I would have never known about something like this.

Sergeant Major
08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Seriously glad to hear that your Bambino is safe & sound, Goggles. Now that his arm has been "tampered with"...he's going to end up throwing fast balls at like 110 mph! :D

All kidding aside, it's great to hear that he's ok.

Loose Cannon
08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Dude same thing happened to my daughter. At the time she was 2 and we were at a Gymboree playing on the bouncy cushiony things, for my 1 year olds first birthday.

First she is just holding her arm and tells me it hurts but after she tries another activity she winces in pain and cries. We think for sure she broke her arm somehow. But she doesn't want to go to the hospital, and stop the party.

We stay there and wrap up the party and then my wife drops me and the youngest off and heads to the ER. By this time it's getting worse, but typical ER visits last 5 hours so my wife stops at McDonalds for some grub.

At this point my daughter falls asleep but when she gets to the hospital my wife takes her out of the car and she starts screaming bloody murder, so when she walks in the ER the staff jump to help her when she tells them we think she broke her arm. (No wait)

In the room while they wait for the doctor to come in my daughter starts eating fries with the bad hand. So Dr walks in and figures she somehow popped it back in by accident, and shows the technique for popping the elbow back in, which got pulled out of socket.

ER visits are the worst!! I glad the little guy is OK.

agentmorris
08-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Fantastic story, Gyre! Glad to hear he's OK.

Echo7Solo
08-18-2009, 10:30 AM
I have to say when I read the title of this thread my heart kind of dropped a bit. I have two little girls and understand how you feel. I'm glad everything turned out well.

Ixz72
08-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Happy to hear your little one is okay. I have a 3 year old boy that is just my life. One of the scariest moments I've ever experienced was a couple of years ago, I was at my brother's house and I get a call from my wife and she was all panicked and she said our son fell and hit his face on one of his toys and now his right eye was bleeding. I left in a panic and got to my house (which was about 15 miles away) in about 10 minutes. While driving I was scared about the the possible things that might happen, you know worse case scenario plus I didn't know what to expect when I got home. When I made it home my son was calm with an ice pack on his eye but my wife was crying. Her best friend was there and she suggested taking him to a walk-in pediatric clinic. She said it was a lot better than the ER for things like that since we didn't have to wait hours in the triage. We did and we were seen by a doctor not 10 minutes after we got there and I guess the cuts was below his eye and superficial. After about 15 minutes of cleaning and dressing the wound and a couple of lollipops (for me and my wife....hehehe just kidding....for me and my son) my son was back to normal but it was way scary experience.

xhairs
08-18-2009, 10:52 AM
wow man glad things are all better now.

Slaymaker
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
That happened to both of my sons...1st time on my oldest, I saw the bones move under his skin as it happened - we rushed him to the ER and they put it back like you said...happened again to the oldest and once on the youngest and I put it back myself. :D

I understand how you were feeling...glad all is ok!!!

TheLongestDay
08-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Glad your boy is ok! I can sympathize with you,my son has Asthma,Eczema and a peanut Allergy! lol Many late night trips to ER have taken place...

crackus
08-18-2009, 11:13 AM
glad to know lil gyre-viper is okay :)

Immortal_Joker
08-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Great news dude \m/

Outbackk
08-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Wow...glad he is okay, bro.

UMAN
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Great story, glad it worked out without anything serious happening. Never heard of this kinda thing happening before, so I guess I learned something!

Mdaggs
08-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Glad to hear the wee one is doing well.

siamese goat
08-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Glad your little one is better.
My boy is "tender" about scrapes and such but if it is major he shows no sign of pain or weakness. It drives me nuts. He said in passing that his head hurt so I got him some tylenol. WHen he went to take it I noticed the back of his mouth was very swollen, on further inspection he was cutting his 6 yr molars and it looked rough. I asked him if it hurt and he said what do you think?

I offered him some whiskey for the pain but he said no it stank. I joke with him so he knew it was not a serious offer.

solo0525
08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
wow ... glad everything is fine ... i got 3 kids ... so I know that feeling :)

steve2477
08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm very glad to hear your son is ok now.

bluebikerboy1
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
being a father of 2 myself i understand were you wer ecoming from. wanting to break downa nd cry but cant due to the lady doiung it and one of you needing to stay strong. its extremily hard. kudos for pulling that off.
and i also am very glad he is ok now. :)

gunslingercbr
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
so, what was the problem with your toilet? did you get that fixed?

gunslingercbr
08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
j/k

DeliriumSerum
08-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Glad he's alright.

Gyre-Viper
08-18-2009, 01:59 PM
so, what was the problem with your toilet? did you get that fixed?

hahahahahahahahahahaa

nothing is more stressful than one of my girlfriend's turds getting all bruce willis in the middle of the night.

Pizza Man Z
08-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Gyre-Viper, that happened my daughter. She was at daycare when it happened. It is probably going to happen again as he gets older so be sure to memorize that maneuver. That happened when she was 4 and she is now 6 and it happens every once in a while. We just do it and she starts feeling better super quick.

But when your kid is hurt, it scary. I was pretty much the same way when the Emergency room fixed my Daughter's arm, a ball of stress and fear and then totally relieved that it was such a minor issue.

Glad it all worked out for your little man!

Jettfire
08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear he's doing fine. I think every parent on here knows that sense of dread you must have had, and the sense of relief when everything's OK. Little guy must be one tough cookie!

The Delta
08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
i know what you went thru and how you felt.it's never easy seeing your child go thru these situations.glad he's alright.

Gyre-Viper
08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
thanks everyone.

I know some people on here frown on the personal threads of woe and worry... heheheheheh.

but i had to get it out in the open to defuse all the pent up cataclysmic
mania raving through my emotional centers.

sharke
08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
bah no worries!