PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a newbie

cooey2ph
08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Hello all,

I am a very new 1:18 collector with only two figures at hand -- the ROC Commando Snake Eyes & Mercenary Storm Shadow. I'm interested in knowing how the more seasoned collectors store, display, use, play, photograph, etc their joes. Thanks!

DaViper
08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
1st welcom cooey2ph. It really depends if you're a loose or Mint on Card collector. If you're looking for displaying loose collection check out this thread. You should get some good ideas here.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-real-american-hero-modern-toys/725-post-your-25th-anniversary-figure-pics-here.html

MOC displays usually hung on the wall either in protective cases or on shelves.

HOpe that helps! YO JOE!

TSHOCK84
08-08-2009, 02:49 PM
this is how i store mine

topnotch97
08-08-2009, 02:52 PM
tips for a newbie?

hmmm... spend a little reading the threads around here. get an idea what the `Tank is, check out what other members have, and pick up some ideas on the long run.... whatever... just enjoy your stay here.... you'll learn stuff you might not be even be aware of.

Tankster
08-08-2009, 02:55 PM
tips for a newbie?

hmmm... spend a little reading the threads around here. get an idea what the `Tank is, check out what other members have, and pick up some ideas on the long run.... whatever... just enjoy your stay here.... you'll learn stuff you might not be even be aware of.
^^^what he said :D

sonofdestro
08-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Stay out of my way in the toy isle J/k . It is always good to have a new member to the site and new participant in the hobby.

Welcome to the Tank

FlyingFigg
08-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Discipline. This can be a very expensive hobby if you're not careful.

Discipline is not a trait of mine however......

Welcome to the board by the way.

SerenityInFire
08-08-2009, 05:37 PM
As long as you vow never to buy duplicate characters, you should be fine. ;)

mister-x
08-08-2009, 06:34 PM
run!!!......run, and never look back!!!!!!!!!!

Gyre-Viper
08-08-2009, 06:40 PM
as for photography.... well it depends on your personal style.
I try to provide pics of figures from all angles... but I also try (try being
the operative word) to entertain. I'm sure some people don't
find my pics useful or amusing... but some do and so that works for me.

as for playing with them... taking pics is kinda how I play with them.
hehehehehhe. cuz it captures them in a story board setting.

i store mine in these really cool divided/stacking/locking/handle tupperware things you can get at target in the school 'bin' section. they're really light
and every other tier has a divider down the middle that is completely ideal
for two figures. and then the tier without the divider is ideal for bulkier figs,
weapons and accessories, or army builders.

wild weasel
08-08-2009, 06:41 PM
As long as you vow never to buy duplicate characters, you should be fine. ;)

and save my army builders AND THE NEW TARGET S.N.A.K.E.S!!!!!!

KALASH69
08-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Often, it can be overwhelming to get into a new toy line. The thing I do to help me get assimilated into a new toy line is picking a faction or group within it and collecting only that group until you get a feel for what you like. Example is with GI JOE, I only collect Joes' and Dreadnoks. No cobra figures at all. And with Star Wars, I only collect Jedi figures.

Also, read everything you can on these forums!! The customs section has alot of helpful information on improving figures and such. And the WTB/WTS section is great for buying parts and figures you cant find. Over all everyone here is very kind and helpful. I almost forgot, be sure to check retail prices of items before you buy them. Some folks like to bump up the price a few bucks. Generally a Joe (unless an exclusive) should not cost more then $8-9 USD.

As for display/storage. I bought a bunch of the old soft cases from 1984 and keep my extras in those. All my figures are packed in boxes right now but I usually display them in a glass display case from Ikea. They have alot of nice stuff for under a hundred. But your no where near that yet.

As for photography (Photography is my minor :D), I notice alot, and I mean ALOT of people when photographing Joes (or any small items for that manner) is that they wash out the photos with the flash, or focus on the background thus blurring the image. These few tips should help:

1st, turn flash off!
Nothing is worse then a washed out joe shot.

2nd, turn your lights on! Get a good amount of light on your subject (being a joe or joes). Or better yet shoot your photos outside. Nothing is better then natural sunlight. And try to shoot on a neutral background (i.e. not alot of clutter/colors).

3rd, pose your figures appropriately. A joe laying next to his pack and gun is not exciting, unless your using the photo for an ad of course.

4th, Taking the photo. Either steady the camera on something or use a tripod for a nice clean shot with no blur. Being still is key, before you take the shot breathe in through your mouth and out your nose a few times to calm yourself so your not jittery. I personally use a Joby Gorillapod when I shoot joes and such (its basically a small, ultra flexible tripod).

I hope that stuff helps. Now you know :D

Gyre-Viper
08-09-2009, 12:08 AM
1st, turn flash off!
Nothing is worse then a washed out joe shot.

but my track lighting sucks so I hafta use the flash. :(

don't hate me.

The Delta
08-09-2009, 12:17 AM
i say do what makes you happy.if you want moc(mint on card),then don't open them,or if you want to have some fun with them,go for it.the most important thing to remember is it's your collection and get what you want to get and enjoy.btw,welcome to the tank,hope you have a good time here,and just try to survive the experience..lol.but seriously,the gang here is great and we'll try to help you with any questions you may have.

KALASH69
08-09-2009, 01:11 AM
but my track lighting sucks so I hafta use the flash. :(

don't hate me.

Then I have the PERFECT solution for you man. I used to have the same problem (track lighting in my house).

How to Make An Inexpensive Light Tent - DIY (http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent)

You can buy one as well (I did this, cause Im lazy).

InfiniteJest
08-09-2009, 01:16 AM
i store mine in these really cool divided/stacking/locking/handle tupperware things you can get at target in the school 'bin' section. they're really light
and every other tier has a divider down the middle that is completely ideal
for two figures. and then the tier without the divider is ideal for bulkier figs,
weapons and accessories, or army builders.

Do you know the manufacturer or have a picture of that? I'm looking for a better way to store my loose figures and that sounds pretty cool.

n3rf
08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
this is how i store mine

That's a very interesting take; I like it a lot.

The magic of my childhood was thumbing through the pegs, finding that treasure, analyzing the card art/info during the car ride, and finally tearing into it when I got home.

Collecting the 25th kinda sparked that magic (with the exception of playing with them) and I've been trying to think of a way to display these so others could (safely) look at the card art/info on both sides.

Your idea is fantastic in recreating that excitement of spotting figures on the pegs, not to mention taking up minimal wall space. (I'd still want to put them in protective cases though).

dubq
08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Discipline. This can be a very expensive hobby if you're not careful.

Discipline is not a trait of mine however......

Welcome to the board by the way.

Holy crap do I ever agree with this. I also have very little discipline when it comes to my wallet/credit card and Joes. :P

Unclassified
08-10-2009, 06:20 PM
check my profile in my pics, that's how i display em. an what i dont have room for displaying gets wrapped in snack bags an put in a big giant 106 qt container till the time is right. an my vehicles are just stacked up against the wall for now an wrapped in contractor bags an placed under my bed..

KALASH69
08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Holy crap do I ever agree with this. I also have very little discipline when it comes to my wallet/credit card and Joes. :P

Me too :D

TSHOCK84
08-11-2009, 12:24 AM
That's a very interesting take; I like it a lot.

The magic of my childhood was thumbing through the pegs, finding that treasure, analyzing the card art/info during the car ride, and finally tearing into it when I got home.

Collecting the 25th kinda sparked that magic (with the exception of playing with them) and I've been trying to think of a way to display these so others could (safely) look at the card art/info on both sides.

Your idea is fantastic in recreating that excitement of spotting figures on the pegs, not to mention taking up minimal wall space. (I'd still want to put them in protective cases though).

yeah thats the idea i had when i put up the board..i always loved walking into play world and looking through the hundreds of figures..
i tried with protective cases but they took up too much space.