PDA

View Full Version : Red Ring of Death... NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!

TEMPLAR BAGGINS
07-29-2009, 02:17 PM
My beloved XBOX 360 just failed... epically.

After a long night at work, I grab a beer and sit down on the sofa. put on my wireless headset and pick up the controller. I'm about to jump on some double experience points Gears 2 goodness. Looked out the window to see what my dog was barking at and my wife asks, "Babe, why are the lights on the xbox flashing?". I quickly turned my head, and my heart sunk. Red Ring of Death!

So I called Microsoft and they're sending me a coffin. I start looking on YouTube for Red Ring of Death videos and peoples' different actions and REactions. My wife comes into the room, sees what I'm watching and almost falls on the floor from laughing so hard. I wasn't laughing. So, I left the office and went into the livingroom and just sat there in front of the tv... holding my controller. She comes in and laughs at me again, this time falling over the back of the sofa. I looked at her and explained to her that I was more upset about the fact that she got it for me for our first Christmas as husband and wife... and now it's broken. It's amazing how fast a woman and go from laughing to crying...

I told her I was going to send it back to Microsoft and that I'd have to wait for a few weeks to get it back. Then she tells me to get dressed and that we're going grocery shopping. So we go to Walmart and she tells me to go "play" in the toy department. She does this sometimes so I don't think anything of it. So I go to find her but she's already checked out and gone to the car. I start to help her with the groceries and notice and odd "lump" under the blanket in the back of our suv. Before she can stop me, I lift the blanket up and see a brand new XBOX 360 laying there. She told me that it broke her heart when I told her the real reason I was upset and that she felt so horrible for laughing at me. She also told me that she had squirelled away around $340 here and there (didn't know about THAT, but anyway) for a rainy day.

So we leave and then she takes me to lunch.

I love my wife! :D

Melissa
07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Lantern_Lad
07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Awesome story! You have an awesome wife!

jezones
07-29-2009, 02:26 PM
did u get the arcade version, all u have to do is put your old harddrive on it and you get to keep all your saved info, plus its a little cheaper

vadersquest
07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
That is awesome dude! You have a cool wife indeed.

Syn3sthesia
07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Lucky fella!

trooper2901
07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
What is the cause of that?I always worry when the kids play on it for a long time that it will break like that ,because 340.00 is alot of money for it to justgo poof!

Rocky
07-29-2009, 02:40 PM
I would like to know that as well..........anyone know?

(GI)Joe
07-29-2009, 02:45 PM
wow awesome , your wife is great...

well thats just microsoft for ya .. the earlier xbox's would over heat so much that the motherboard would pop right out and off the frame causing its death.

microsoft wanted to save money is the end result , consumer suffers (just like everyone of their products , its sad that im just waiting for my xbox to fail)

Xbox 360 technical problems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems)

TheMonsterSquad
07-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Awesome, but now when Microsoft sends it back you'll have 2....unless it's necessary to have one in another room, I wouldn't mind. I'm on my 3rd Xbox 360, don't use it much, I've been buying every game for my PS3, No problems with that bad boy.

(GI)Joe
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
one thing i have always wondered , the amount of xbox units sold.. what percentage of that is people buying a new xbox becuase of this.. my brother is on his 3rd xbox , microsoft replaced the 1st one and he had to go buy his new one. so technically , 1 person bought 2 xbox's..

o also one more thing lol , check your machine again.. if its 4 red rings you should be ok , just have to unplug then plug the power supply back in or reset the power supply its on .. happend to me 3rd week of my xbox

jignacio_2k
07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Awesome wife, pretty freaky avatar..lol

Cobra Invasor
07-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Does your wife have a single sister?

Mi 360 "dies" on January and we don't have guarantee here in Argentina so I split it into pieces and sold them.

steve2477
07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Your wife sounds great, i know how you feel about your xbox, its happened to mine as well.

M. Aster Karver
07-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Get the red ring one fixed and sell it to make up part of the money. I did that with my 360 when the red ring happened. Only thing is I had to buy my own replacement!

Very nice of your wife to do that, electronics failing sucks big time!

JoeFanPDX
07-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Thats really cool of your wife. I think you should have saved your money and waited for Microsoft to fix it but it seems you aren't worried about dropping more coin on a faulty product. This is the main reason I have never bought the 360. I have had so many friends who are on their 3rd one by now. Good luck on this one.

Tankster
07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Nice story tell your wife she rocks!!

bluebikerboy1
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
from what i remember reading all teh first few waves of the 360 will get the ring of death after so many hours of use. its going to happen.
problem is not everyone uses there xbox the same amount of time. so odviously one guy who plays it dailey for 10 hrs a day will fry and have to get replaced faster then the guy who may play it an hour a week. thus why even after all these years people with original xbox 360's are just now getting there first ring of death.
my question is did they finaly fix it with the later models. ive been holding off buying one due to me not wanting to deal with this 5 yrs down the road (i wouldnt use it that much due to time restraints).

Vangto
07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Awesome wife dude, however you should have got a PS3 to begin with and then you would never have to worry about it magically going shitter up, like they are prone to doing.

Sgt. Kayfabe
07-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I am on my 4th 360. Bought the Resident Evil edition because I was told that the hardware doesn't have issues. The funny thing is that my second and third 360's were from microsoft as replacements for the previous system that acquired the red ring. Go figure.

Sgt. Kayfabe
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
By the way your wife is awesome as well. Sounds like something my wife would do.

statesofeuphoria
07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm on my 3rd one as well. Mine had the RROD a few months back and it was replaced in about 2 weeks.

USAgent
07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Nice story. When my son's went out a 2nd time we got the arcade version at Fry's for $99 and just plugged in the hard-drive. My Bro-in-law is pretty high-up the x-box food chain w/microsoft and he said that it has more to do with how many times it's turned on/off that causes the red-ring-o-death than anything else (so probably something in the start-up?) Or, being a loyal microsoft employee for 20+ years he might just feed me the same lines they feed customer inquires :)

tycondrius
07-29-2009, 04:46 PM
i have 2 xboxes for just that occasion :) i got the second one of a firend of mine who didn't want his. so its handy to have the 2nd as a back-up

CharIJoe
07-29-2009, 05:10 PM
RIP Shockwaves x360

coola784
07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
you have a awesome wife, now you will have 2 xbox 360's, i have to send mine in sometime this week as well since the same thing happened to mine.

FirstOne
07-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Do you have a cooling system? If not I would recommend one. One of the main reasons 360s fail is due to over heating. You should have a cooling system and keep your 360 in an upright position, so it can breathe good...

azoric
07-29-2009, 05:44 PM
What a great wife! Not only for butting you 2 xboxes but fir actually being able to hold onto money!

The Commander
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
my wife would be happier if mine got RROD, and would NOT want to buy me a replacement. Lucky you.

homer_sapien
07-29-2009, 06:03 PM
So, I left the office and went into the livingroom and just sat there in front of the tv... holding my controller.

A couple nights ago our power went out while I was playing a game on my PS2. I just sat there in the dark holding the controller and hoping it was going to be a breif outage.

C0BRA TR00PER
07-30-2009, 12:26 AM
I have received the RROD 3 times. So now I have 3 360's in the house, 1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom, and 1 in my daughter's room.

Just 2 nights ago, surprise surprise, RROD while playing Red Faction. Needless to say, it's off to repairs and the living room 360 got promoted to the bedroom.

The Delta
07-30-2009, 12:31 AM
thats why i have a ps3.

TEMPLAR BAGGINS
07-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I just don't understand why Microsoft couldn't wait an extra 6 months to release the 360 instead of rushing it to the market a year before the PS3. Sure, it would have been the middle of summer and not the Holiday season. But still... Microsoft is loosing ALOT more money having to fix and replace these units than they would have lost by not having it out at Christmas time.

COBRACOLLECTOR
07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Damm wheres her sister ? lol

Great story and glad u got ur X bizzle Replaced

alcoholic ewok
07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
My beloved XBOX 360 just failed... epically.

After a long night at work, I grab a beer and sit down on the sofa. put on my wireless headset and pick up the controller. I'm about to jump on some double experience points Gears 2 goodness. Looked out the window to see what my dog was barking at and my wife asks, "Babe, why are the lights on the xbox flashing?". I quickly turned my head, and my heart sunk. Red Ring of Death!

So I called Microsoft and they're sending me a coffin. I start looking on YouTube for Red Ring of Death videos and peoples' different actions and REactions. My wife comes into the room, sees what I'm watching and almost falls on the floor from laughing so hard. I wasn't laughing. So, I left the office and went into the livingroom and just sat there in front of the tv... holding my controller. She comes in and laughs at me again, this time falling over the back of the sofa. I looked at her and explained to her that I was more upset about the fact that she got it for me for our first Christmas as husband and wife... and now it's broken. It's amazing how fast a woman and go from laughing to crying...

I told her I was going to send it back to Microsoft and that I'd have to wait for a few weeks to get it back. Then she tells me to get dressed and that we're going grocery shopping. So we go to Walmart and she tells me to go "play" in the toy department. She does this sometimes so I don't think anything of it. So I go to find her but she's already checked out and gone to the car. I start to help her with the groceries and notice and odd "lump" under the blanket in the back of our suv. Before she can stop me, I lift the blanket up and see a brand new XBOX 360 laying there. She told me that it broke her heart when I told her the real reason I was upset and that she felt so horrible for laughing at me. She also told me that she had squirelled away around $340 here and there (didn't know about THAT, but anyway) for a rainy day.

So we leave and then she takes me to lunch.

I love my wife! :D

And here I was going to tell you to just buy one and swap out bar code stickers and return it to Wal-Mart...not that I've done that before or anything. Since overheating can cause it, did you at least have it set up in an area with good airflow or was it kind of crammed into a shelf?

Doctor Leo
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Does she have a sister?

Ask some repacker if you can put your old XBOX and return it to Wall Mart (I am kidding...)

Syn3sthesia
07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Just how much time do you guys use your XBoxes for? The problem seems to originate cuz it overheats right? I mean I remember playing a good a mount time but I never left my console on overnight or played more than 3 hours.

siamese goat
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Happened to a friend of mine. He watched the youtube vids and secured the MB and installed a better fan, now it works again.

I bought a ps2 whe they first came out and still have it. My son is on his 3rd one. I was told the older ones were prone to fail but aparantly its the new thin ones.

As far as getting sent to play in the toy aisle...at my house that always means my wife is buying something I should not see ( gift for me) or something she doesnt want me to see ( girly crap for her).

Mel357
07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Man, your wife is cool as hell, but the fat kid in your sig makes me want to punch a baby!!!

CallMeRotten
07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Feel lucky they are sending you a coffin! they didn't send me one the last two times (I'm on my 4th now) my 360 saw the dreaded crimson crescent moon.

A word of advice though, keep the box they ship your 360 back in! you will need it again eventually.

It's odd though, I could have sworn I heard Microsoft wasn't sending out coffins anymore.

take2todd
07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
my xbox took like 2weeks to get back from its RROD coffin and return. Definitely don't leave them on overnight, (turn off if possible) and make sure its not sucking up the carpet to disrupt its airflow to care for your new one. i heard those fan extenders that go on the back are crap too.

anger911
07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
good story :)

lesson learned, ps3 is the way to go! :D

TheSerpentKing
07-31-2009, 12:46 AM
If you plan on gettting a new 360 I'd look for one that has a Jasper chip set as they are suppose to reduce the chances of the RROD/E74 errors and apperently run cooler than earlier model 360s. I also recommend NOT setting it on a carpet. Keep it in a wide open area away from other electronics to keep it cooler as well a try to keep the room it's in at about 70 degrees. Also stay away from intercoolers such as those from Nyko as I've heard they do more damage than good and can void the warrenty. And as mentioned above never leave them on overnight. I personally never run mine for much more than 3 hours at a time.

Super Beast
07-31-2009, 12:50 AM
Amazing story!!! LMAO
sometimes the red ring is there, and you just gotta leave it off for awhile then turn it back on and it works.

xhairs
07-31-2009, 12:54 AM
thats awsome man.

Blackdragon
07-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Your wife rocks! I got the ring once. Xbox sent me a brand new one and its been okay so far for the past couple years.

Tracker
07-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Very Cool

now go head and still send the other one back to M.S.

TEMPLAR BAGGINS
07-31-2009, 01:01 AM
I've been reading online about how to find the EXACT cause of the RRoD on a particular XBOX. So, I tried it on mine before it left for Microsoft heaven. Gotta hold the sync button and press the eject button 4 times. Each time, the lights will flash a corresponding number (4 lights = zero, 3 lights = 3, 2 lights = 2, 1 light = 1). So I came out with the error code 0020. Looked online and basically the GPU malfunctioned and it's similar to the e18 code (solder/ heat sink melt malfunction). It made me actually feel a lot better because now I know what is wrong.

When I get it back from Microsoft I might just set it up in the bedroom or maybe my office. Dunno... and as for her sister. Well, let's just say that she could learn a few things from my wife. I got the better end of the deal on that one. :D

vkat7phish
07-31-2009, 02:15 AM
Great story. You have a great wife. Got the RRoD a few months ago. Sent it in and got it back within 10 days. Sent me a free month of Live as well. 360 works just like new.

rob0213
07-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Great story! Your wife sounds like a really cool person. Good for her. Enjoy your new Xbox (s).

Phobos_Deimos
08-01-2009, 05:27 AM
I've gone through 4 Xboxes. I currently have an Elite and it's been working fine for over a year...I'm still expecting it to break at any time though.

dark69
08-01-2009, 05:46 AM
poor xbox but cute story

Flame Viper
08-01-2009, 12:15 PM
That is a great story. Thank you for sharing it. Your wife sounds awesome. Sounds like a real keeper to me!

C0BRA TR00PER
08-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I've gone through 4 Xboxes. I currently have an Elite and it's been working fine for over a year...I'm still expecting it to break at any time though.

It's just a matter of time, lol.

Immortal_Joker
08-01-2009, 01:57 PM
good thing I stuck to PC wont have to worry bout the red rings of death instead I got to worry bout the Blue Screen of DOOM

Skyw4rp
08-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't know what to say...but that's epic awesomeness!