PDA

View Full Version : GIJOE/X-Men Crossover: Who would recruit the mutants?

Barefoot Jedi
07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Weezus's comments in another thread got me thinking:

Would GIJOE become a (dare I use this word) liberal entity and welcome mutants into their ranks against the prejudices of the majority of human society?

Or would COBRA welcome mutants into their ranks as a disenfranchised group despised by normal society whose powers could be used to further COBRA's agenda?

Who are the closeted mutants?

Are Zartan and his siblings shape-shifters like Mystique?

Does Snake-Eyes have superhuman endurance, speed and strength for a reason in addition to ninja training?

Is Dr. Mindbender a telepath?

Can Spirit talk to animals?

Does the McCullen family secretly work for Apocalypse (war, survival of the fittest, etc.)?

Are Cobra-La just ugly mutants like the Morlocks?

Troynos
07-22-2009, 12:07 AM
There are good mutants and bad mutants. Bad mutants would join Cobra, good mutants would work with G.I. Joe.

Why wouldn't a secret government organization recruit mutants? It's not like it's a overt organization and would have to deal with the backlash of having mutants in the group.

None of the Joes or Cobras would be closet mutants, not unless you change how they are portrayed already.

JohnnyAngel77
07-22-2009, 12:10 AM
None of the Joes or Cobras would be closet mutants, not unless you change how they are portrayed already.

In the "what if" crossover stories, a lot of things change. It's a retelling with a twist. So, some of them could indeed be mutants.

generic trooper
07-22-2009, 12:11 AM
I think Cobra and the Brotherhood would have common ground as would GI Joe and the X-Men.

I don't see anything long term in either though.

Monkeywrench
07-22-2009, 12:12 AM
wolverine and SE would be a badass team

JohnnyAngel77
07-22-2009, 12:16 AM
wolverine and SE would be a badass team

Along side Cable and Roadblock

sonoftimmy
07-22-2009, 12:36 AM
I'd say confused mutants or mercenary mutants would join Cobra. Certain so-called "evil" mutants (like Magneto & the brotherhood) would hate Cobra and GI JOE as they would just be human elements trying to control the world or make it safe from that which threatens the status quo. The X-Men would want equality for mutants and humans they could not side with GI Joe as it is an extension of a fearful human government. They would also not side with Cobra as it is a terrorist organization. I think they would for the most part be neutral, working with GI JOE only in certain times of crisis, but never joining them.

I can also see a time when GI JOE may go after all mutants including the X-Men if given the order from the government.

gdztoyz
07-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Archangel (Angel) vs Nemesis Enforcer...nuff said, lol

Troynos
07-22-2009, 08:38 AM
In the "what if" crossover stories, a lot of things change. It's a retelling with a twist. So, some of them could indeed be mutants.

I know what a "what if" is. But in this case, it wouldn't be a matter of the character choosing B instead of A (like most "what if"s are based around) but it would be a complete rewriting of the character from ground zero.

And things like SE being a closet mutant completely rewrites Joe history in such a way that it would be integrating the mutants from the very beginning as part of government operations.

Which then gets into rewriting the X-Mens history and goes into the idea that if there are mutants and some are already working for the government, then why have a group of "normal" soldiers in the first place and instead make a unit of enhanced soldiers.

So if you want to make any of the Joes into closet mutants, then it opens up a larger can of worms that takes it beyond the simple Joe/X-Men crossover.

JohnnyAngel77
07-22-2009, 10:49 AM
I know what a "what if" is. But in this case, it wouldn't be a matter of the character choosing B instead of A (like most "what if"s are based around) but it would be a complete rewriting of the character from ground zero.

And things like SE being a closet mutant completely rewrites Joe history in such a way that it would be integrating the mutants from the very beginning as part of government operations.

Which then gets into rewriting the X-Mens history and goes into the idea that if there are mutants and some are already working for the government, then why have a group of "normal" soldiers in the first place and instead make a unit of enhanced soldiers.

So if you want to make any of the Joes into closet mutants, then it opens up a larger can of worms that takes it beyond the simple Joe/X-Men crossover.

It would be extremely easy really. You don't just do a crossover, you make it a "what if" crossover. A "what if" stories throws all rules and everything you think you know out the window. It would just pick up and go. You might get a little background change with everything but that's what the stories do.

It wouldn't be a big deal at all really to write a 4 parter for that. You are assuming it needs to make perfect sense. Those stories never make perfect sense. You just take it for what it is and enjoy the read.

Now if it was just a normal crossover then no, it wouldn't work unless it was just a standard team up or something.

Troynos
07-22-2009, 10:54 AM
The thing that made "What Ifs" work was that they did make sense from the point of the "what if". They didn't completely rewrite the backstory, left it all intact until the point the "what if" happened and then logically changed everything based off that "what if".

This would be a true crossover, not a "what if". If that's the case, then it requires rewriting everything.

The best cross-overs were between Image and Valiant. They did it the "right" way and merged the universes. Anything else just feels like a "one and done" crossover and just a sell for the fanboys.

Merge the universes and do it up right.

coolcrazylegs
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Nick Fury just just join gi joe and take over for the sarge.