PDA

View Full Version : Random Ghostbusters thought...

Headman
06-15-2009, 07:42 AM
So I bought the Real Ghostbusters cartoon dvd set last night and as I was watching it I kinda got to thinking... Slimer is the soul of a dead human being, yet the Ghostbusters keep him as a pet. I think something is wrong with this.

minstrelboy
06-15-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't think that that was what Slimer was, unless it stated in the cartoons that that was what it was. I don't remember, it's been years since I watched it. But most human souls or spirits retain their human form (at least somehwhat), but there are other apparitions that could be animals, or other forms of energy. The movie did touch upon some Lovecraftian lore, so it could be an interdimensional creature as well.

sonofdestro
06-15-2009, 08:26 AM
It is an atrocity, but spirits have no rights. I have contacted several human rights organizations about the Slimer situation, but I have yet to hear back from any of them.

Unclassified
06-15-2009, 08:33 AM
you guys remember why they called it the real ghostbusters. remember that poor ass cartoon that came out called the ghostbusters, an it wasnt even what we knew as the ghostbusters. i remember reading this in a magazine when i was in 1st or 2nd grade. it had the star trek movie in the mag as well, when they made that movie in 85 or something. anyway, that's why they had to make it the real ghostbusters, cus previously to this cartoons release a company came out wit' a ghostbusters cartoon first, an they had to switch the name. the other ghostbusters no one probably remembers, it was weak, an it wasnt our ghostbusters, so it was a flop.

Unclassified
06-15-2009, 08:34 AM
It is an atrocity, but spirits have no rights. I have contacted several human rights organizations about the Slimer situation, but I have yet to hear back from any of them.

you're a trip man..

PeeWee
06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
So I bought the Real Ghostbusters cartoon dvd set last night and as I was watching it I kinda got to thinking... Slimer is the soul of a dead human being, yet the Ghostbusters keep him as a pet. I think something is wrong with this.

As for Slimer, This is what Ghostbusters wiki (http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Slimer#Classification) has him listed as

Slimer is classified as a focused, non-terminal repeating phantasm, or a Class 5 full roaming vapor. And a real nasty one at that.

Class V: These are ectoplasmic manifestations of definite but non-human form. Speculation includes the theory that Class V's are formed from emotionally-charged events or as side effects from ritual summonings. (The spud Peter Venkman talks about so much was a by-product of the rituals that a cult held in the Sedgewick basement.) These typically require extensive proton pack implementation to eradicate.

you guys remember why they called it the real ghostbusters. remember that poor ass cartoon that came out called the ghostbusters, an it wasnt even what we knew as the ghostbusters. i remember reading this in a magazine when i was in 1st or 2nd grade. it had the star trek movie in the mag as well, when they made that movie in 85 or something. anyway, that's why they had to make it the real ghostbusters, cus previously to this cartoons release a company came out wit' a ghostbusters cartoon first, an they had to switch the name. the other ghostbusters no one probably remembers, it was weak, an it wasnt our ghostbusters, so it was a flop.

actually your wrong. The show you are talking about was the 1986 Filmations Ghostbusters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmation's_Ghostbusters) which was a continuation of The GhostBusters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Busters) which was a live action show released in the late 70's.

They didnt name the cartoon "The Real Ghostbusters" to snub the other show. They did it because "Ghostbusters" and "The Ghostbusters" were already a trademarked title for a TV show.

DPrime
06-15-2009, 09:35 AM

lol, that's hilarious. I never thought of it that way!

They didnt name the cartoon "The Real Ghostbusters" to snub the other show. They did it because "Ghostbusters" and "The Ghostbusters" were already a trademarked title for a TV show.

Oh come on, that may be the "official" reason, but you can't tell me there wasn't something a little underhanded about that! They could have named it any number of things, like "Who Ya Gonna Call: The Ghostbusters!" or something like that.

Headman
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM

On the dvd commentary for the pilot episode of the Real Ghostbusters, they do say they took some shots at the other Ghostbusters show.

P.S. I actually enjoyed both shows as a kid.

Zartanman
06-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I watched them both too.. but I preferred The Real Ghostbusters.. the coolest thing about The Ghostbusters was their transforming house and car and such.

I loved the animation of their car going down that track.

RolandofGilead
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I watched both, but loved The Real Ghostbusters. As a kid I kinda figured they had lost out on the title wars, but I liked how they treated it in the cartoon. The cartoon characters were the actual "real" ghostbusters, who inspired the movie. I seem to recall them mentioning the movie with disdain at some point.

Coolest cartoon and movie connection: The voice of Peter Venkman was performed by Lorenzo Music who also did the voice for most of the Garfield cartoons. Bill Murray is now the voice of Garfield for the movies.

Irid70
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Slimer was noted by Dan Akroyd to be "the ghost of John Belushi," who was supposed to star in Akroyd's original vision for the franchise.

Barefoot Jedi
06-16-2009, 12:01 AM
I hope in the new Ghostbusters film they take on Pazuzu from "The Exorcist."

DaViper
06-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Man I love The Real Ghostbuster cartoon! I use to watch it religiously everyday after school. I'll probably have to pick up this dvd set.

snakeeyes22
06-16-2009, 12:35 AM
The Real Ghostbusters wasn't the first name they were going to to with.
The original was "Those Ass-Hats with the effing Gorilla are fake, and your parents will divorce each other AND you if we catch you watching that shit"

Real Ghostbusters was shorter, I think.

I always found it hilarious that their name implied that the other show was the FAKE Ghostbusters. Such huge balls. Of course, the fake Ghostbusters had it coming, deciding to poop out a show simply because they owned a word that had gotten popular because of a hugely successful film. Ghostbusters may have been a general use term at one point long ago, there was an old Mickey Mouse cartoon where he, Donald and Goofy call themselves Ghostbusters. Wonder if maybe that was a spoof of the old films though.

None of this explains Egon's blond spirally vortex of infinity perched mightily above his crimson spectacles. This goes beyond likeness rights.

Cobra-Love
06-16-2009, 05:36 AM
You know what would be awesome? 25th style Ghostbuster figures! and Slimer accesory! I would so buy that.

Zoltron
06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
Ghostbusters is just awesome.

My family and I used to watch that film all the time. My step dad loves the movie.

But I loved the cartoon and all those crazy monsters they came up.

Remember the Ghostbuster transformers like Granny Gross and so forth? Those were so cool. My favorite one was the garbage man that became the Fly.

samantha
06-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Slimer was a very cute Ghost. I loved that character.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
06-16-2009, 09:20 PM
I can't find referance to this anywhere but I swear I remember someone once explaining Slimer was a ghost of a child, hence his child like actions and thats why he helped the Ghostbusters because he sorta looked to them as adults.

I have no idea where I may have heard that, but it could be possible.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
07-15-2009, 11:04 PM

As for Slimer, This is what Ghostbusters wiki (http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Slimer#Classification) has him listed as

actually your wrong. The show you are talking about was the 1986 Filmations Ghostbusters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmation's_Ghostbusters) which was a continuation of The GhostBusters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Busters) which was a live action show released in the late 70's.

In addition to the story about Dan joking saying Slimer was Belushi, he's also refered to as The Onionhead Ghost a referance to a cut scene from GB1.

I also recently stumbled across this about Slimer from the main wiki...

In the Marvel UK comics of the Real Ghostbusters, Slimer had his own half-page sketch, in which Slimer's past life was covered; he was originally called King Remils, a greedy, obese monarch who had died of heart failure.