PDA

View Full Version : are you dissapointed about the new GI Joe?

Tristin_L
06-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Are you kind of dissapointed the upcoming GI Joe film isn't faithful to the original GI Joe in terms of uniform? The onlyone that actually resembles the original is the character of Storm Shadow.

A.C.T.
06-08-2009, 01:18 AM
And don't forget Baroness.
I'm definatley not digging the black look, and I don't believe throughout the movie anyone will resemble any of there plastic counterparts. I'll even go out on a limb and say Zartan will not have a hood. The liberties taken with there look have been grossly interpited, with little or no regard for there classic attire. I don't want the same cuz that would be too silly and corny. Resolute has it right. Anyway, I am dissapointed.

Tristin_L
06-08-2009, 01:29 AM
And don't forget Baroness.
I'm definatley not digging the black look, and I don't believe throughout the movie anyone will resemble any of there plastic counterparts. I'll even go out on a limb and say Zartan will not have a hood. The liberties taken with there look have been grossly interpited, with little or no regard for there classic attire. I don't want the same cuz that would be too silly and corny. Resolute has it right. Anyway, I am dissapointed.

They could have atleast given them genuine military uniforms with each member of the team representing their own service branch. Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines.

NSA
06-08-2009, 01:43 AM
They could have atleast given them genuine military uniforms with each member of the team representing their own service branch. Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines.

Duke and Stalker.. i mean ripcord, wear Multicam(TM) in the desert sequences! At least thats a real type of camouflage!

Shin Densetsu
06-08-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm disappointed in the small size of the vehicles and increased price.

narisanerd
06-08-2009, 01:47 AM
this is also my number one problem with the movie...they want to give them powered suits...

gi joe is a military strike force of the best soldiers in the world....why on earth would they need power suits...or wear hand me down x-men the movie uniforms...

even if they went with the simple old school greenies...with the helmets and joe rifles...i think that would look pretty awesome...

face it though...kids like power suits and ninjas...so that is what they are pandering to...it's the joe power rangers...

TEAM Z
06-08-2009, 01:49 AM
very disappointed

dawingster
06-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I'd like to see a making of GI Joe, what were they thinking segment on costuming. I can understand them dismissing the bright oranges and reds of the sunbow/comic book uniforms, but they then dismiss uniforms which could easily translate to the real world. Examples, hooded CC, Cobra trooper face masks, helmets, etc.

BTW, cute doggy in your avatar pic.

NSA
06-08-2009, 01:51 AM
I'm disappointed in the small size of the vehicles and increased price.

Buck up little Camper.. tell me you saw the for-gods-sake-its-REAL F-14 today?!

Shin Densetsu
06-08-2009, 01:53 AM
this is also my number one problem with the movie...they want to give them powered suits...

gi joe is a military strike force of the best soldiers in the world....why on earth would they need power suits...or wear hand me down x-men the movie uniforms...

even if they went with the simple old school greenies...with the helmets and joe rifles...i think that would look pretty awesome...

face it though...kids like power suits and ninjas...so that is what they are pandering to...it's the joe power rangers...The suits are not even in the majority of the film.

Shin Densetsu
06-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Buck up little Camper.. tell me you saw the for-gods-sake-its-REAL F-14 today?!Posted it at Toyark yesterday.

Gung.Heaux
06-08-2009, 02:18 AM
yay! another original post!

~Synder Corps.~
06-08-2009, 02:34 AM
The ONLY thing...but most important... is that their DUMBING it down to S6/Pokemon levels!

Especially after RESOLUTE, this LIVE ACTION movie, which we've been clamoring for, for over 25 years, Just seems...

SHITZWEAK!

Crap MAINLINE toys, crap actors, crap story.

The only thing that is going to carry this line is all the "off screen" figures and vehicles, that SHOULD have been marketed under the REAL AMERICAN HERO/25TH Ann./MODERN ERA lines.

Da' BRO' dun f'd up. But We'll buy it anyways, won't we.

beachead
06-08-2009, 02:35 AM
VERY Disappointed. I mean you don't to have to be dead on..but come on. Please resemble them. A black Ripcord? Them stupid suits, everyone in black, white, or grey. And catering to other countries who could careless about an American toy line. I still don't like Storm Shadow's look. As well as Cobra Commander's look (why not a hood?), and Zartan? And why does The Baroness and Duke have to have a past? ugh the list goes on.

Flint5150
06-08-2009, 02:36 AM
I hope they'll bring more Joes, and they'll soon get rid of the Batman with no bat symbols suit or put some color in those battle armor suits.

RuckusJr
06-08-2009, 02:42 AM
I think I had pretty low expectations. Movie lines almost ALWAYS suck. I figured these would be no different and once the actors gave their feedback on how they should look, they'd end up looking ridiculous. I hate the Vipers. All of them. I actually don't mind Duke, Ripcord, or Scarlett. The Baroness, SS, SE, and Destro all look really good to me. But those vipers...worse than the Cobra Commander.

nickvree
06-08-2009, 03:30 AM
no, I'm not disappointed. Obviously there was going to be HUGE differences between 80's Joe and 2009 Joe. Not to mention I love the grey camo, and will be army building the crap outta the pit commandos!

A.C.T.
06-08-2009, 04:16 AM
I can see that working better than those battle suits.

Sigma6_fan85
06-08-2009, 05:26 AM
i'm not i'm happy what they made. ^w^

samantha
06-08-2009, 05:38 AM
I am not disappointed. I expected changes.

Tristin_L
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
VERY Disappointed. I mean you don't to have to be dead on..but come on. Please resemble them. A black Ripcord? Them stupid suits, everyone in black, white, or grey. And catering to other countries who could careless about an American toy line. I still don't like Storm Shadow's look. As well as Cobra Commander's look (why not a hood?), and Zartan? And why does The Baroness and Duke have to have a past? ugh the list goes on.

I just can't take Marlon Wayans seriously as Ripchord . I'll always associate him with that movie "White Chicks."

The Conflict
06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Are you kind of dissapointed the upcoming GI Joe film isn't faithful to the original GI Joe in terms of uniform? The onlyone that actually resembles the original is the character of Storm Shadow.Yes,that is my biggest,probably my only problem with the upcoming film,the costume designs and general look of the movie. Entirely to much of the color green and to much dark colored metal. Im not saying I want it to be all bright and colorful like the cartoon but they couldve done better than what they did.

Troynos
06-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Nope, not disappointed.

Seriously, how can I be disappointed when this is not a movie based on my G.I. Joes? This is a new generations G.I. Joe, not mine. So how can I be disappointed in how it looks?

It's not like they asked me for my personal opinion on what I thought would make a good Joe movie. So how can I be disappointed?

Would I have liked something more towards Resolute? Sure. But again, THIS IS NOT OUR JOE MOVIE. This is a movie intending and hoping to create a new generation of Joe fan.

This movie, Hasbro hopes, will create the new "us".

82joe
06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm dissapointed nobody is giving her any crap for starting another movie thread. You guys are a bunch of hypocrites.
(just kidding Tristin :))
I think the movie looks like the biggest pile of shit to hit theaters this summer. I'm warming up to some of the toys but I'm not going back from what I just said....this movie looks like shit.

Troynos
06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I think the movie looks like the biggest pile of shit to hit theaters this summer.

Naw, that's Land of the Lost.

Syn3sthesia
06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I can deal with this new Joe form but I'm dissapointed as to how cheap and unrealistic the animation of those space suits in the movie is.

82joe
06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Naw, that's Land of the Lost.

Touche'

Every time I see the Joe previews I sink a little further in my chair. It has absolutely nothing to do with not being "my Joe". A long time buddy and Joe fan of mine (but not a collector) can't wait for the movie. He won't shut up about the damn thing. We're going opening night!!!
So I can talk bad about it and still support it I guess :)

G.I.Eddie
06-08-2009, 03:19 PM
to answer your question simply, yes, i am dissappointed..VERY!

Buck up little Camper.. tell me you saw the for-gods-sake-its-REAL F-14 today?!

and uh, WHAT?!...where?

CrimsonGuard101
06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Expecting changes is great they are going to happen. Knowing it is going to change is great it happens. But this is the best they can seriously come up with? To directly copy James Bond is pretty damn weak, unimaginitive and sloppy. This is a direct movie from the Sigma 6 line with a varation in it's name to Delta 6. This is not the Rise of CObra it is the Rise of Spectre from james Bond. Destro is the leader of Cobra? Nice choice, ruin his entire background in the first film and make him look like Dr. Evil, thanks that is really cool so that he will be known form now on as the lackey who could not lead cobra. He dosent need to lead anything cept the IGs when Cobra screws everything up at every turn. Going to miss the power struggle between him and CC.

Cobra Commander is not even conceivable as cobra commander. He is Dr. Whowhatthehell? Looks like a German officer from some 50s sci-fi cross over where Lee Marven and a set of 12 soldiers are sent to stop an alien attacking from beyond space...It is just a burnt up Darth Vader wannabe with a cobra logo on his Columbine high school trenchcoat? Disappointing can not even describe this character.

The vipers ooh my god the vipers...what ever happned to the other vipers they showed at first? Where the 2 guys where standing by each other with biker helmets and padded gear? Those looked better than what we have now...

Strom Shadow is not acceptable in actor and costume (only plausible when he keeps his mask on). The actor has stated he had no idea who storm shadow was and is just "winging it" and hopes people like HIS rendition of the character. Talk about entitlted..he thinks he soo cool he can just wing one of the best characters in the show? wow!

Lips on snake eyes...disappointing...can't wear proper pants...disappointing...plastic clear kiddie swords they can't polish up and make look right...disappointing....

Craptastic one liners like "Nice shoes" Baroness, "What do they Accelerate?" derrer Marlane get out of the unit if you can't figure that out..."The world will never forget when I am threw" yeah we will forget Destro you pathetic looser who looses out to the power suits+marlane Wayans in the first show..."What did you say the name of your unit was" Hawk "I I didn't" ooh tough guy there...love silly piss matches like that. etc...etc...etc...I would have prefered one liners from Arnold Schwazennegger, Jim Carey, and Sandra Bullock...then we would know this was just a comedey and not a real attempt to make something worth while and memorable to true GI JOE.

Sigma 6/delta 6 accelerator suits...seriously we have these over RAM cycles, Dragonflies, Mobats, VAMPS, Tomahawks, Killer Whales, JUMP packs, X-30s, X-19s, Silver Mirage, APCs, Maulers, X-14 Skystrikers, Storm Hawks, not even an M1A2 abrams to be seen), etc etc... Where the hell are the vehicles in this movie? Do the joes transport through teleporters to get to where they go? They spent 170 million and we can't even get a decent vehicle in a live action gi joe movie except a cobra Hummer and a Hayubusacrapola black painted Snake Eyes Ninjacycle? WTF disappointing again does not even accuratley descibe that farce.

This director, this vision, and the shit hole they are pushing GI JOE into is disappointing. It is dumbfounding how this could even been ok with anyone. Tranformers was OK it at leats had live action scenes with REAL military like weapons/vehicles. Star Trek stayed true to it's characters and had new actors that knocked the socks off of representing thier old actors. Terminator Salvation used endo skeltons, think if they didn't and it was just totally changed to be nanites that got into you and turne dyou into a terminator...why did they stick to the true stories and we can't even get that here with GI JOE?

Unfortuantley, Land of the Lost will probabley be more entitled to get my money to then this. Sorry GI JOE, I really am sorry it has to be this way my friend...I thank you for all the times we had in the 80s and thank you for coming back as the 25th/modern line while you lasted.

Rest in piece... it's over...

disappointed, broken and demoralized..CG101

generic trooper
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I think Resolute had the best balance of update versus classic look. Duke was still Duke (just updated).
If I didn't know there was a GI Joe movie and I saw some of the trailers out there, I'd think it was just another sci fi action movie.

Too late now though. Just gotta hope for the best and that Hasbro realizes that the Modern line still has some life left.

Wylde Weezle
06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah, somewhat disappointed. I'd have been fine if they named Marlon Wayans' character Alpine and the guy they have playing Breaker looks more like Dial Tone. I'm also not digging the look of the Vipers or the whole Cobra Commander (a guy named Rex Lewis??? REALLY???!!) backstory.
Having spent a year stationed in Korea, I'm a fan of the actor who's playing Storm Shadow, but I really wish they'd gotten a Japanese actor for the role. And I really hate the fake muscle suit and trousers Snake Eyes is wearing. They really messed up the look of my favorite character there.

Gyre-Viper
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
snake eyes' lips on the costume look like a prototype muppet

Firefly007
06-09-2009, 02:48 PM
I really hope this movie is good. Seems these days they do a remake or a live action movie it is not true to the original story line and the liberal depiction of the characters change there format in the first place. This better not turn out like Land of the Lost did...

From the trailer I have seen I have to ask a few questions.
GI Joes:Why Ripcord and not Stalker? Ripcord action figure did not come out till what series #4? Stalker would of been the right choose for Wayans. Why Heavy Duty and not Roadblock? Wasn't Roadblock Dukes friend and was introduced to the toy line the same time? Heavy Duty came out way latter. The GI Joe uniforms look updated, so that's a plus. From the figure line there is a PIT Commando, generic soldier to replace all those green shirts, He looks much better too. The urban gray camo seen in the trailers and on the new figures seems to mach through all the Joes in the line. The question is who is going to die in the film?

Cobra:Why is the movie focused on Destro and not Cobra Commander? (I posted this on another link)I don't think the movie will follow the original comic book line, since the movie seems to be focused on Destro and M.A.R.S and not Cobra Commander and ARBCO. Also did you see the way the Cobra Commander figure looks? I am very disappointed that Cobra Commander looks HORRIBLE. It has to be the worst looking figure of the line (see my post rant on it). The Neo-vipers look more like Destro with a metal skull mask. The M.A.R.S. troopers look more like original cobra troopers and not Iron Grenadiers. I hope they did not screw that up.

At least the Resolute cartoon movie was true to the GI Joe comic book line with the end of the cartoon depicting cobra HQ being in Springfield and the companies name was ARBCO. They killed off Major Bludd, Zartan, and Strom Shadow and the only Gi Joe lost was Bazooka? They should of killed more Joe's off like the comic did. ;)

Tracker
06-09-2009, 06:18 PM
no because I'm looking at as a new story like they do in comics all the time

tuan_tran73
06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I am not dissapointed about the movie, but this movie does not live up to my expectation.

CobraRebellion
06-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Of course! But I'm going to enjoy it anyway. Probably. Maybe...

xhairs
06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
so disappointing

Nemesis*Prime
06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
There's been so many reinterpretations and reinventions of G.I. Joe since he first came on the scene in the 60's and while granted I agree this film's version is the most RADICAL departure that the franchise has ever seen. But then I have to ask myself what our dads, who grew up with the first 12" Joe figures, thought of the 80's version we love and adore and what their reaction was to a villain who looked like a Darth Vader clone, dressed in blue, who slurred his s'.
While it's a seriously different take on the G.I. Joe mythos, seeing a live action film based on the universe Larry Hama and others penned still has me looking forward to seeing this movie. There's always going to be different versions of G.I. Joe that fans are going to cling to as their favorites, and this is just going to be one more added to the list. This film might do well, it might completely bomb, who knows - but I'm going to be at my local theater on August 7th.

dawingster
06-09-2009, 11:59 PM
There's been so many reinterpretations and reinventions of G.I. Joe

This is true... Does anybody remember or even mention "GI Joe Extreme"?

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
06-10-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm not terribly upset with the uniforms, I can pin down my worried of this film in two sentences.

"It accelarates you."

and

Duke dressed in an all black Captain Grid Iron uniform scales a building like a monkey.

Seems to me that they looked at G.I. Joe not as a military unit with some enemies that have comic book elements, but rather a Power Rangers movie that's a tad more military in tone.

I'm hoping I'm seriously wrong in that assesment and the movie blows me away, but the more I see the less confident I am about it.

Griff
06-10-2009, 01:23 AM
That and they could have colored the reactive armor to each person (ie dukes green and brown, staticlines blue and silver, breaker shouldnt be in the film, heavy duty offwhite and green you get the point. oh and static line is what i refer to marlons character as i will never acknowledge him as ripcord EVER) and omitted the Sigma 6 accelerator suits.

zenfakor
06-10-2009, 01:24 AM
I like them, I want one for my S&M room, jk, lol.

prometheus
06-10-2009, 01:48 AM
not disappointed, except for all the I'm disappointed/I don't like/negative ROC threads, but I will wait until the movie and then let the truth be heard...

RedEyes
06-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Of course naturally I would want every thing to look like it's the 80's GI Joe. But that usually never happens in movies like this. So I wasn't that surprised that they changed some stuff. I'm not liking the Delta 6 suits though. That just seems a little out of place, imo. Overall, I think the movie looks pretty cool. I'm gonna wait till I see it to have a real opinion about it.

narisanerd
06-10-2009, 03:05 AM
The suits are not even in the majority of the film.

they are in the movie none the less...but it's expected...the movie is obviously made for kids...hence the power rangerness about the whole thing...

it's cool though...hopefully robot chicken will do a gi joe episode to save face...

A.C.T.
06-10-2009, 03:26 AM
...so who thinks Zartan will have a hood and his trademark facial tattoos over his eyes?

ntfrceshockwave
06-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I can't wait to get my tickets. I have a feeling it will be better than most of you think. If the movie tanks, I guess there can always be a reboot.

ShockVal
06-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Not at all. Its a movie about a toy.

Atomic Gadfly
06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
yay! another original post!

Yay! Another original response!

Atomic Gadfly
06-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Here's what I had to say about the costumes in February. (http://atomicgadfly.blogspot.com/2009/02/look-of-gi-joe.html)