PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for displaying a sting raider?

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 02:27 AM
I recently acquired one and am having trouble displaying it.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can best create a swamp or water look (short of actual water)?

nickvree
06-01-2009, 02:28 AM
maybe some of that fake moss on a mirror? or that clear blue plastic stuff, used for gift wrap maybe?

arashikage tat
06-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Michael's has some pretty cool dio's in a box that you can create that would be perfect to display the water mocassin.

It has rocks, fake moss, grass and trees all kinds of good stuff

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 02:34 AM
maybe some of that fake moss on a mirror? or that clear blue plastic stuff, used for gift wrap maybe?

I've thought about using that clear blue plastic all scrunched up but my concern was that it would create a very wavy appearance. I could see using it to show a wake behind the raider.

Michael's has some pretty cool dio's in a box that you can create that would be perfect to display the water mocassin.

It has rocks, fake moss, grass and trees all kinds of good stuff

Are those the ones that come in the black plastic trays?

CrimsonGuard101
06-01-2009, 02:37 AM
A terrarium from Petsco or PetSmart....fill it up add some tropical fish and if your really brave some baby alligators and some tropical plants...would freaking rule

arashikage tat
06-01-2009, 02:39 AM
http://fantasyguide.stormthecastle.com/images/diorama-thumb.jpg
The one I'm thinking of looks similiar to this, sorry I can't find a bigger pic

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 02:39 AM
A terrarium from Petsco or PetSmart....fill it up add some tropical fish and if your really brave some baby alligators and some tropical plants...would freaking rule

Haha don't put crazy thoughts in my head. You'll destroy my marriage!
That would be pretty awesome though.

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 02:40 AM

Oh yeah I've seen those. Do you have any experience with them? Easy to use and whatnot? (I'm very green with this sort of thing)

CrimsonGuard101
06-01-2009, 02:41 AM

They come painted like that? I never seen anything like that at hobby lobby, what part of Michaels are those in? Thats cool looking...wish they had some city scenes, I need to come up with a way to make some 20 story buildings and some streets...for my alley vipers and rages...but am affraid ti would take a whole room to build a scale city street coner at best...

arashikage tat
06-01-2009, 02:44 AM
Oh yeah I've seen those. Do you have any experience with them? Easy to use and whatnot? (I'm very green with this sort of thing)

I'm pretty new to all that too, but if you buy the whole kit it usually gives you a pretty detailed blueprint to walk you through the whole process. It's not very hard, just time consuming if you're the perfectionist type ( I know I am lol) but once it's done they're pretty solid for display but not necessarily heavy play

nickvree
06-01-2009, 02:47 AM
what part of Michaels are those in?

I'll second this, that looks pretty neat.

And anything like this at Hobby Lobby that you know of?

Barefoot Jedi
06-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Moss from Hobby Lobby works well for marshland. And frankly plastic wrap makes "good enough" water for me. You could put a piece of olive green cardboard (you can get such things at Michael's) under it. This is diorama-on-the-cheap, which is how the Jedi rolls.

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 02:52 AM
I'm pretty new to all that too, but if you buy the whole kit it usually gives you a pretty detailed blueprint to walk you through the whole process. It's not very hard, just time consuming if you're the perfectionist type ( I know I am lol) but once it's done they're pretty solid for display but not necessarily heavy play

Very promising thanks. I set up displays and only touch them when I clean them or change the whole display up so no heavy play.

Moss from Hobby Lobby works well for marshland. And frankly plastic wrap makes "good enough" water for me. You could put a piece of olive green cardboard (you can get such things at Michael's) under it. This is diorama-on-the-cheap, which is how the Jedi rolls.

Good idea. Money saved is money spent on figures.

Barefoot Jedi
06-01-2009, 02:57 AM
My point exactly.

Here's my ARAH Water Moccasin with my Dreadnoks. I think Copperhead and his ship look better with them than with COBRA stuff. I still haven't put down any plastic wrap for the water, but you get the general idea. This is just moss (two types) and rocks as scenery.

Oh, the plastic tree bases Copperhead is standing on and the one in front of the Moccasin are from Toybiz's Lord of the Rings line. Just some extras I had that worked well for this display.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk171/Slowedyourmind/GIJOE/DSCN0957.jpg

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 03:00 AM
I think that pic sold me on the moss. Great display.

On Copperhead and the SR: I agree, they don't look like they fit with Cobra. His fc mentions that he works with the 'noks.

CrimsonGuard101
06-01-2009, 03:38 AM
He's got a heavy southern accent and I always wondered if he fit with the Noks more than Cobra...I always put him with them since he is in a swamp mobile LOL...more like a Cobra Liason since they have to have something representing cobra with the Noks imop....Another way to look at is he was a Nok prior to Cobra but decided he was badass enough to be both? LOL

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I've always seen Copperhead as a merc (like almost every other named Cobra operator).

Troynos
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Copperhead is a Cobra, thru and thru. The Sting Raider itself is stuck in just the swamps and rivers, it's not an ocean vehicle.

That's a cool display with the moss and stuff. Nice and simple. I like it.

MachineGunEtiquette
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
what I use to make em are the ones that are made from the styrofoamy material you can get in the craft section at wal mart, the ones for doing floral decorations.

you can cut them to size and shape and pretty much do anything with them.

Its what those guys who play warhammer use to make their huge like 15 sq ft. dioramas for gaming.

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Copperhead is a Cobra, thru and thru. The Sting Raider itself is stuck in just the swamps and rivers, it's not an ocean vehicle.

That's a cool display with the moss and stuff. Nice and simple. I like it.

YOJOE.COM | Filecard Gallery - Copperhead (version five) (http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/09/copperhead5.shtml)

Not all the way through apparently ;)

I think I'm gonna check out michaels next time I'm close and stock up on that moss.

vadersquest
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
There was a Tanker who did this same type of dio. We all thought it was water but alas, it was not. I cannot remember what he used but a search through the customs forum might be in order. You could review his techniques and go from there.

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs/36411-croc-master-hunts-lady-jaye-dio.html

Is this what you are thinking?

artiepants
06-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Copperhead is a Cobra, thru and thru.

i always thought he was one of the LEAST Cobra Cobra's ~ Just a dirtbag motorhead tryin' to pay off his debts by selling his services to the highest bidder. He'd probably work for the Joes if they paid better.

Viper6
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
by some bamboo sections, or collect up sticks, small ones, build a wooden box about 24x12x2, paint the bottom of the box all swamp lke, fill with clear epoxy and texture it with ripples n such then insert bamboo/stick clusters, sprinkle with moss and sink a few small stones in there, let dry set moccassin on that. if your willing to sacrafice a few troopers/divers have their torsos popn up out of the mess. im telln ya!

sharky
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Using something like this might be good. Although I can't say I've ever used it before.

Realistic Water 16 oz (wooc1211) Woodland Scenics Model Train Scenery Mold & Accy (http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/woo/wooc1211.htm)

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
by some bamboo sections, or collect up sticks, small ones, build a wooden box about 24x12x2, paint the bottom of the box all swamp lke, fill with clear epoxy and texture it with ripples n such then insert bamboo/stick clusters, sprinkle with moss and sink a few small stones in there, let dry set moccassin on that. if your willing to sacrafice a few troopers/divers have their torsos popn up out of the mess. im telln ya!

I don't think I would stick any figures in but I could see carving a spot for the SR. Great advice thanks!

Using something like this might be good. Although I can't say I've ever used it before.

Realistic Water 16 oz (wooc1211) Woodland Scenics Model Train Scenery Mold & Accy (http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/woo/wooc1211.htm)

I'll have to check local crafts shops for that. I like that it seems to be relatively easy to clean up/off.

NeoDragonKnight
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
I have limited space, so I just put mine ontop of my divers mini display. The water moc isnt in the pic but its on there right now on display.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/NeoDragonKnight/display2.jpg

sharky
06-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I haven't got around to opening my Sting Raider, yet. I started to think. Can it really float in water? I used to have the original when I was a kid and I can't remember if the original floats in water or not.

generic trooper
06-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I haven't got around to opening my Sting Raider, yet. I started to think. Can it really float in water? I used to have the original when I was a kid and I can't remember if the original floats in water or not.

I'm fairly certain that it does. I'll be damned if I'm getting mine wet though. ;P