PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro - Hows the partnership w/HISS TANK?

darthdoug
04-04-2009, 10:34 AM
For the record, I feel HASBRO has done a phenominal job through the years with many of their franchises (Star Wars, GI Joe and Transformers specifically). This is not a "Bash Hasbro" thread but rather an intelligent discussion to see how Hiss Tankers feel about the relationship between Hasbro and fan sites like Hiss Tank.

I know many of us get frustrated with Hasbro on occasion (myself included) but overall when you mass-produce toys and have to provide the product that can both sell and make the masses happy they do a great job. This thread is more about the parnership they have with fans at web sites like Hiss Tank.

Here's my case-in-point: Cobra Commander (no... I'm not re-hashing his helmet choice or if he's true to the vintage character).

Example A: First ebay sighting sold for $160.

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/dougressler/CobraCommander-RiseofCobra.jpg

Example B:

Then we begin to see another variation of this figure. This one has changes to the color of the coat (production change to the paint scheme) as well as a removal of the breathing tubes that are packaged.

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/dougressler/CobraCommander-RiseofCobraV2.jpgr

It seemed rather silly that someone was willing to pay $160 for a figure that is coming out shortly. $160 for a "Common figure" just seemed way too mysterious.

What should this tell us?

What this tells us is that there are people "in the know" who were wiling to pay up to $160 because most if not all of the bidders knew of the change.

How do we not know of this change yet several others did? Can't be pure coincidence that they bid $160 for it when it would only be a common figure.

I love Hiss Tank and all the info we get. However, this site does a lot to follow what Hasbro wants (Editing forums, pulling posts and pics when it is earlier than Hasbro wishes to have it revealed) etc...

How come HASBRO cannot return the favor and give Hiss Tank some inside track or the fans some detail on figure production, changes in design, a list of what figures are coming (even without pics would be fine).

We seem to have to rely on alternative sources like people who work at a retailer researching bar codes and saying:

"I see a listing for 0083345684 which is titled "SS & Serp 2 pk". We would have no idea if this is Snow Serpent & Serpentor or Storm Shadow & Snow Serpent. (example is not an actual product listing).

My belief is that HASBRO should be willing to reach out to the fans in a couple of ways:

1. Provide a list of toys that have been decided on when they are decided. Not waiting for an associate to tip us off.

This would be a great front page item to see:
"Hasbro announces to fans a list of upcoming releases for the 3rd and 4th quarter of 2009". It can say the names (no pictures needed of what to find at any/all retailers. What's the harm in saying "there will be a battle pack coming out next fall at Target"?

2. I realize Hasbro doesn't want images posted prior to revealing the character. However, someone is getting items and putting it up on ebay prior to them revealing to the fans.

Why can't Hasbro come out and say:

"We're currently in production on these characters: Duke, Ripcord, Cobra Commander... etc... "
"Cobra Commander will have a new design... we will release images as we grow closer to the release of the movie... As for the action figure there have been a few production changes due to.... (fan feedback, changes desired)... Cobra Commander will have a new paint scheme and a change in accessories" (non-specific). This would have allowed many of us to make a bid on an item we felt was rarer than just a first release. Someone on this site may have wanted to spend $165 to win that figure.

I'm not asking for Hasbro to release info or images earlier than they are willing to do so. I'm not saying they owe the fans anything. However, I would like to see fan sites like Hiss Tank rewarded for their loyalty by giving us something exciting to look forward to, an idea of how much we're going to be spending, items we can discuss and get excited about.

I know there's existing platforms like the toy convention in NY. However, clearly there have been items that have surprised us that they did not reveal in that convention.

In my opinion Hasbro can make these simple changes to keep the fans in the loop. This creates MORE excitement and allows us to feel better connected to the franchise.

What are your thoughts?

... (remember to keep all answers within the rules of Hiss Tank)

Zartanman
04-04-2009, 10:42 AM
In a perfect world, what you want would happen.

However, we live in a corporate world, such things will never happen.

But you are right, there were obviously people out there in the know.. how they knew.. that is the question.

Shogi
04-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Hasbro does reach out to the fan base with things like the Hasbro Q&A. While they can't answer every question we send their way, the ones they can answer are usually answered with great info.

Case in point: The first time we heard about Chuckles being made in the Modern Era toys was because of a Hasbro Q&A question.

Syn3sthesia
04-04-2009, 10:46 AM
What I find interesting is the way information gets to us.

We know now that Firefly and BBQ are part of the movie figs and that was thru eBay.

Not a word from Hasbro.

Crims
04-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Hasbro does reach out to the fan base with things like the Hasbro Q&A. While they can't answer every question we send their way, the ones they can answer are usually answered with great info.

If i remember right, wasn't the last Q&A full of 'wait and see' type answers? i felt dumber after reading through all the question dodging.

darthdoug
04-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Case in point: The first time we heard about Chuckles being made in the Modern Era toys was because of a Hasbro Q&A question.

If i remember right, wasn't the last Q&A full of 'wait and see' type answers? i felt dumber after reading through all the question dodging.

Both are great points. However, only in the convention Q&A did we get a list of an upcoming toy line. That was a GREAT Q&A complete with images and all. However, the Q&A reach-outs don't happen enough or we wouldn't get the DUMMY version with "wait and see's".

My idea of the quarterly listing of what to expect in say 6 months that is being finalized today would keep us in the loop.

There's Star Wars Q&A sessions that happen more frequently and are much more informative than what we get for GI Joe.

We should never have EBAY be the source for our information on a Fan-Based site.

Shogi
04-04-2009, 10:58 AM
My idea of the quarterly listing of what to expect in say 6 months that is being finalized today would keep us in the loop.

I think the reason we will never see this is because Hasbro doesn't want to be in the position of announcing the release of something then having to retract that statement because of a production error or change in plans.

I've seen the outrage from fans when previously announced items are cancelled :)

As for the Star Wars side, yes they get more info and more questions, but there's also a much bigger fan base and more products being made than the GI Joe line has

Serpentor444
04-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I have one word to sum up my feelings based on the Cobra Commander movie fig. STUPID man, if they really make cobra commander look like Jason Voorhies that producer/director whoever made that decision should be fired. I'm just hoping he will only look like that briefly. Why would they not want to go with classic Chrome Battle mask!!!! I really hope that we get to see the Chrome Battle Mask with his classic blue outfit that would look so cool in a live action movie. Why does hollywood keep basically missing the boat on our Classic Comic/cartoon movies?????

Darth Jay
04-04-2009, 11:04 AM
How can you fire a guy when the movie is done?

arch2b
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM
toy industries are finicky beasts. i admin an rc forum where we have manufacturers participate directly with forum members. one of the largest (kyosho) went so far as to create a list based on monthly releases and list everything he has info on which at times runs 6 months in advance. they constantly update the thread as items appear in thier timeline. we don't get pictures until they have them for public release but we can see whats coming.

i just wanted to show that this does happen.

hasbro is dealing with an icon brand with gi joe that has multiple licensing lines for the modern stuff, movie stuff and i'm sure all the spin offs we are going to see after the movie similar to tf flooding the market after thier movie. you can both understand and appreciate the care needed in dispensing information at times as i'm sure they are not the only ones imposing restrictions on releasing public information.

crock master
04-04-2009, 12:01 PM
maybe it will end up like the wolverine move. it will leak out before effects are made, ruin the whole box office earnings and end up going straight to dvd
then they could start all over from scratch

Darth Jay
04-04-2009, 12:04 PM
There's too much invested. There will be no starting over from scratch. It is what it is.

NAJA EMPIRE
04-04-2009, 12:13 PM
some fans/collectors like the random surprises that turn up on ebay or finding a figure that was never mentioned by Hasbro. Having perfect structure of release dates, exact figure release list makes collection too organized and dull. But me.... I want the structure and exact release dates of what figures!!!

Crims
04-04-2009, 12:20 PM
some fans/collectors like the random surprises that turn up on ebay or finding a figure that was never mentioned by Hasbro. Having perfect structure of release dates, exact figure release list makes collection too organized and dull. But me.... I want the structure and exact release dates of what figures!!!

Its nice to have surprises yes, but i think the original poster was also talking about how hasbro leaves most of us in the dark while only a few have 'insider knowledge' his example of the cobra commander is interesting in that aspect. Why would anyone pay that kind of price for a commander commander when in two months its going to be everywhere? then it comes out to be a very early (and probably rare) variant that none of the rest of us knew about.

When your talking about hobbies that people spend hundreds and rarely thousands of dollars on something to complete their collections its almost as bad as inside trading on the stock market.

NAJA EMPIRE
04-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Its nice to have surprises yes, but i think the original poster was also talking about how hasbro leaves most of us in the dark while only a few have 'insider knowledge' his example of the cobra commander is interesting in that aspect. Why would anyone pay that kind of price for a commander commander when in two months its going to be everywhere? then it comes out to be a very early (and probably rare) variant that none of the rest of us knew about.

When your talking about hobbies that people spend hundreds and rarely thousands of dollars on something to complete their collections its almost as bad as inside trading on the stock market.

I agree. Fact I started the thread of how crazy that CC auction was. Yet at that point the thread was active, myself as well as all other Tankers never knew of the rare variation this would be.

Dr. Whom
04-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I want the hasbro inside info so I can hoard and scalp all the variants before you guys know they exist.

O he sick

haradrel
04-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I actually don't think that the buyer of the figure knew that it was going to be a variant.
I rather think the buyer had to much money and to little common sense to wait.

I've just won carded un-masked Storm Shadow, Sgt. Stone and Reactive suit Duke on ebay myself - for less then $40 on each figure, just because I have the money for them and I am curious about the figures.

Is it dumb to pay that much? Well to people who don't have that amount of cash sure - to those of us who are curious and have the money and means no, its fun to say that you were the first "kid" on the block who got these way before they ever hit retail - and also be able to write up a review of them before they are ever released.

I think the person that bought CC for $160 is an avid collector and fan, not someone in the "know how" about it becoming a variant.

If people have the money, they will pay whatever is necessary to get the goods, that's the way its always been, throw money at the problem and it solves itself (usually).

WVMojo
04-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I actually don't think that the buyer of the figure knew that it was going to be a variant.
I rather think the buyer had to much money and to little common sense to wait.

I've just won carded un-masked Storm Shadow, Sgt. Stone and Reactive suit Duke on ebay myself - for less then $40 on each figure, just because I have the money for them and I am curious about the figures.

Is it dumb to pay that much? Well to people who don't have that amount of cash sure - to those of us who are curious and have the money and means no, its fun to say that you were the first "kid" on the block who got these way before they ever hit retail - and also be able to write up a review of them before they are ever released.

I think the person that bought CC for $160 is an avid collector and fan, not someone in the "know how" about it becoming a variant.

If people have the money, they will pay whatever is necessary to get the goods, that's the way its always been, throw money at the problem and it solves itself (usually).

Agree completely...I'll also throw in the fact that since these figures have yet to hit mass retail, there is always the potential for last minute changes before the full production run begins.

I'd say the guy had the money and took a chance that maybe it was an early prototype release.

It would be nice to have hasbro say the figures have gone "gold" and here's what the final product looks like.

darthdoug
04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
toy industries are finicky beasts. i admin an rc forum where we have manufacturers participate directly with forum members. one of the largest (kyosho) went so far as to create a list based on monthly releases and list everything he has info on which at times runs 6 months in advance. they constantly update the thread as items appear in thier timeline. we don't get pictures until they have them for public release but we can see whats coming.

i just wanted to show that this does happen.

hasbro is dealing with an icon brand with gi joe that has multiple licensing lines for the modern stuff, movie stuff and i'm sure all the spin offs we are going to see after the movie similar to tf flooding the market after thier movie. you can both understand and appreciate the care needed in dispensing information at times as i'm sure they are not the only ones imposing restrictions on releasing public information.

Great point Arch,

Good to know that other companies are doing this. Maybe as GI JOE's fan base grows Hasbro will look at doing more of these communications with their fan base.

darthdoug
04-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Amen brother!

Give us specifics. I'll save the surprises for the retailers. Will they have it or not. I don't need a surprise on what the make on top of a surprise if I'm gonna find it at retail.

gunslingercbr
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
as far as figure releases, Hasbro does release information on upcoming figures, just at a time when they find it appropriate. I can't recall a single figure that showed up at retail that nobody knew about beforehand.

Just because a product shows up in Wal Mart's system does not mean it is being released for certain, as the canceled comic and single packs and transformation into the 7 packs revealed, so it doesn't reflect anything on Hasbro's procedure if we can't wait until they release the info, which they do, and have to know about the possible releases with their cryptic abbreviations created by Wal Mart's system, not Hasbro's.

Evil Incarnate
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I am almost certain that this forum is more than just a "partnership" with Hasbro. I believe it is a brilliant marketing tool that can whip up a frenzy about a product by simply mentioning an abbreviated name in a retail listing. A place that encourages fans to compete in an orgy of troop building hundreds of the same figure. Then a hundred more when it is released with grey socks rather than tan socks. How many of us are drooling like a starving wolf ready to pounce on the upcoming 7 packs. Have you ever wondered what drove you to preorder $2,000 worth of upcoming toys from BBTS. It is because we cannot be without that which another Tanker may posses. The voices in my head have not yet revealed who is the source root of this magnificent marketing machine, only that is most certainly a tool of the Chinese.

nerdsgetchicks
04-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I am pretty sure that Hasbro would S%^* a brick if they witnessed the selling of the figures on Ebay and probably issue a letter. I honestly think that they are in this for one reason and that is to make money. Its all big business and they have switched gears to cater to the collectors and not to the mass market of 8 year olds that buy toys in Walmart. Just look at the AFA stuff on Hasbro's site for the proof on that point. If Hasbro could make $160 on figures then they would be selling them on Ebay too. They should change the name from Hasbro to Cash Cow or Watch em buy this figure.

darthdoug
04-06-2009, 11:55 PM
I am almost certain that this forum is more than just a "partnership" with Hasbro. I believe it is a brilliant marketing tool that can whip up a frenzy about a product by simply mentioning an abbreviated name in a retail listing. A place that encourages fans to compete in an orgy of troop building hundreds of the same figure. Then a hundred more when it is released with grey socks rather than tan socks. How many of us are drooling like a starving wolf ready to pounce on the upcoming 7 packs. Have you ever wondered what drove you to preorder $2,000 worth of upcoming toys from BBTS. It is because we cannot be without that which another Tanker may posses. The voices in my head have not yet revealed who is the source root of this magnificent marketing machine, only that is most certainly a tool of the Chinese.

Your comment is hillarious as is your profile.

starscream-99
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I like it the way it is now. If Hasbro releases info chase/variant or whatever official name they have instead of being hard to find they'll be extremely super hard to find, and cc fig would have gone for alot more than what it. IMO we get enough info. I have it hard enough finding the one's I want and if it gets harder I'm just going to quit collecting. Toyfare and forums is cool with me. By the way that picture was of the first movie CC. The first one always goes high regardless if the model is obsolete and there is a revision version coming out. The point is it was the first CC movie fig available and a hardcore CC fan would spend his whole months salary just to have the satisfaction of having the first CC fig available.

xhairs
04-10-2009, 12:58 PM
well they listen to us part time. when they are on the ball they hit home runs. but it dosent last. case in point to many repaints.

Mech-Viper
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
well they listen to us part time. when they are on the ball they hit home runs. but it dosent last. case in point to many repaints.

they sure were listerning about the wave5 vechiles

1SGHauser
04-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't think it was people "in the know" so much as it was a fan with expendable income. Lets face it... The majority of us on this site would buy up EVERYTHING and sort it out later if we had the cash laying around to do so.

xhairs
04-10-2009, 10:28 PM

like i said part time my man. some time we get what we want but most we dont

RuckusJr
04-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Even the Q&As are down to 3 questions from 5. I see sites like He-Man.org, and Mattel is so forthcoming with everything. The delays, the figures, mistakes, changes, etc. I see that sort of rapport and wonder where that is here. It makes me jealous, like Mattel loves HM.org more than Hasbro loves the Tank. I wish Mattel was my dad, then I'd be loved too!

kneroh
04-10-2009, 10:51 PM
I like movies and I pay to watch them. Why don't the movie studios tell me all the inside information and plot points for each film before they're even out in the theaters?

RuckusJr
04-10-2009, 10:58 PM
They tell us who the actors are, isnt tha what the OP was essentially asking for? And if you seriously equate knowing what a figure looks like before you see it in store to someone ruining the ending of a movie, you really need to find something better to do with your life.

kneroh
04-10-2009, 11:00 PM
They tell us who the actors are, isnt tha what the OP was essentially asking for? And if you seriously equate knowing what a figure looks like before you see it in store to someone ruining the ending of a movie, you really need to find something better to do with your life.

I'd say that was a bit harsh wasn't? I'm saying Hasbro has every right to release whatever information they see fit too. Like the movies if they want to keep certain aspects a surprise they can do so.

Crims
04-10-2009, 11:03 PM

I agree with above, thats a bit harsh. You really need to find something better to do with your life instead of insulting people for having an opinion.

Shin Densetsu
04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Nope just a forum for fans who love G.I. Joe.
I am pretty sure that Hasbro would S%^* a brick if they witnessed the selling of the figures on Ebay and probably issue a letter.
They are aware and used to it. This is not new to them at all, it's happened in the past, several, several times with Transformers. They also know exactly which factory and area the specific figures came from.

There is nothing stating that they didn't want to release the vehicles. If those vehicles were released months back, they would have been bought up and that's more money for Hasbro. They have to balance out everything due to the demands of the retail, and other factors.

Distribution and timing may have been a factor, although I'm not sure. In my area, the Ghost HAWK, Sting Raider, Desert AWE Striker and CLAW/FANG just recently became easier to find, and that's just at one store.
Even the Q&As are down to 3 questions from 5. I see sites like He-Man.org, and Mattel is so forthcoming with everything. The delays, the figures, mistakes, changes, etc. I see that sort of rapport and wonder where that is here. It makes me jealous, like Mattel loves HM.org more than Hasbro loves the Tank. I wish Mattel was my dad, then I'd be loved too!
Mattel was not always like that. They started giving more detailed answers and more collector product last year when they made the decision to make dedicated collector products; continuing JLU at Target, selling MOTU exclusively online, and making DCUC, and other products. Even so DCUC still manages to be an extremely hard line to find at retail for me(I've decided to just pick up figures that I want when I see them, the 25th G.I. Joes were easier to find in 07 than DCUC currently is).
It makes me jealous, like Mattel loves HM.org more than Hasbro loves the Tank. I wish Mattel was my dad, then I'd be loved too!It makes you wonder though, does Mattel love He Man as much as Hasbro loves G.I. Joe? One line is still at retail. One had multiple case packings of Skeletor and He Man with all the colors of the rainbow, without many other figures yet retailers are always blamed in that case, but many fans argue otherwise; some even say that led to the death of He man at retail a few years back.

We have yet to see disco Vipers, or Halloween Snake Eyes figures. Even then most joe waves consist of more than just random Duke and Cobra Commander repaints.

Crims
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
We have yet to see disco Vipers, or Halloween Snake Eyes figures. Even then most joe waves consist of more than just random Duke and Cobra Commander repaints.

You're right about that, instead we get treated to 9 different versions of snake eyes last year. 4 versions of storm shadow and 3 so far this year. Those are our he-man and skeletors .

J4Joker
04-13-2009, 12:21 AM
You're right about that, instead we get treated to 9 different versions of snake eyes last year. 4 versions of storm shadow and 3 so far this year. Those are our he-man and skeletors .

True, but most of those Snake-Eyes were based on different looks the character had through-out the characters history; there was at least a method to it.

Shin Densetsu
04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
You're right about that, instead we get treated to 9 different versions of snake eyes last year. 4 versions of storm shadow and 3 so far this year. Those are our he-man and skeletors .Were they decoed in Halloween neon, orange, or gold, or come with gimmicky accessories just cause, and overflood each case? No. Each version of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes released has had relevance and been based on a version of the respective characters, not something like Snake Eyes with power gloves because his non-existent power gloves in the cartoon are used to fight Cobra, or neon orange party glo Storm Shadow because Orange is the new red.

Jmacq1
04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Were they decoed in Halloween neon, orange, or gold, or come with gimmicky accessories just cause, and overflood each case? No. Each version of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes released has had relevance and been based on a version of the respective characters, not something like Snake Eyes with power gloves because his non-existent power gloves in the cartoon are used to fight Cobra, or neon orange party glo Storm Shadow because Orange is the new red.

And more to the point, the case assortments that have Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow in them still contain other figures that aren't Snake-Eyes and Storm-Shadow in reasonable numbers.

A He-Man case pack would be like:

4 x He-Man
4 x Skeletor
1 x Man-At-Arms
1 x Beast Man
1 x Mer-Man
1 x Stratos

And every fourth case might swap out Mer-Man for Teela or Evil-Lyn. It was ridiculous. Mattel eventually got a clue and started shipping the He-Men and Skeletors less heavily, but the damage was already done.