PDA

View Full Version : Custom Vintage ARAH Covergirl

Zartanman
03-26-2009, 11:42 AM
I think we have all been fascinated by the women of the Joeverse. Who more so to fascinate us than Covergirl, her very codename reveals beauty mixed with courage.

I know the upcoming movie G.I. Joe The Rise of Cobra

has a version of Covergirl in it. Although she has blonde hair instead of Red and rumor has it she might not make it to the end of the film, downer. However, I think she will be one of the more popular characters.

But we are here to talk about the vintage Covergirl. While her original action figure was not one of the best of the ARAH line she still had an aura of mystery about her. I think one of the things that attracted me to her is she reminds me of a 1940's era tough woman but one who is actually on the front lines, not just building the war machines.

In my attempt to recreate the vintage figure I went with a little more of that 40's era charm about her. That's why I picked the Mrs. Coulter head. I loved the hair and Nicole Kidman is one of my all time favorite actors.

I used a Lady Jaye body, this one is from the DVD pack. I wanted her to have boots more like the original figure so I went with the Crimson Guard bottom legs. They are not as masculine as some of the other figures and worked well here, still giving her a rugged but feminine shape.

The only trouble I had was figuring out how to work in the jacket. I used the jacket from an Indiana Jones figure, I believe it is the Crystal Skull version. The issue was the arms.

The Lady Jaye figure does not have long sleeves, but the rolled up sleeves look like they could be jacket sleeves. I did not want to attempt cracking this figure in half to change the arms, so far I haven't had much success with that much less with the female bodies as they are much more delicate.

I decided to paint the sleeves brown to match the jacket and leave it at that.

The part list is as follows:

Torso, Arms, Upper Legs, Belt w Gun= Lady Jaye DVD pack version.
Head = Mrs. Coulter from The Golden Compass
Bottom Legs & Knees = Crimson Guard
Jacket = Indiana Jones Crystal Skull Version

The biggest time spent on making this figure was the painting. I knew I wanted her to have red hair but I also wanted to add some highlights to make it look more realistic.

I also decided to paint the straps on her boots green to match the original figure. I added a little dry brush detail to her pants.

I had to add a clear coat gloss to the yellow on her shirt so it wouldn't rub off. I also painted her lips red.

All in all I am very pleased with how this figure turned out.

I am going to post more info and pictures on my blogg, Homemade Joes Blog // G.I. Joe & Action Figures (http://www.homemadejoes.com/blog)

PS.. She might be for sale.. for the right offer.

82joe
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Nicole Kidman is a Joe? Just kidding...nice work :)

camper
03-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Sharp stuff.

TR1ER
03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I love her!

The BLAY
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
beauty dude!

Kalibus
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Looks great! Man that makes me want to make one too. I guess ill just stare at yours for a while. ;)

paulpratt
03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Where is that head coming from? There seems to be a huge influx of female customs using it.

Kalibus
03-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Where is that head coming from? There seems to be a huge influx of female customs using it.

Nicole Kitman(sp?) from the Golden Compass line of toys.

paulpratt
03-26-2009, 12:21 PM
AHHHHHHH... now it all makes sense.

Zartanman
03-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Nicole Kitman(sp?) from the Golden Compass line of toys.

Yup.. that's is.. It's Mrs. Coulter from the Golden Compass I snagged one at Big Lots

SnakeMoe
03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
sweet work

TheLongestDay
03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
nice! I always preferred the blonde version-cant have TWO redheads in GI JOE! :)

Zoomie2001
03-26-2009, 12:54 PM
It's kind of funny how a lot of action figures are starting to look the same. Like they're all looking like the 25th ARAH figures (Indiana Jones, Marvel 3.75", etc). Goes along with my theory that everything's made by three companies in China...

Zartanman
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
nice! I always preferred the blonde version-cant have TWO redheads in GI JOE! :)

True I could have left her blond but honestly.. I don't like Blonds much.. I prefer Red or Brunette. Wonder how she would look with brown hair?

TK1945
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Looks great!

What all did you have to do to make the head fit right?

Zartanman
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Looks great!

What all did you have to do to make the head fit right?

That was the best part, it snapped right on. It is a little tight though so limited movement.

zuludelta
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Looks good. The distinct head sculpt goes a long way in making her stand out from the other, older Cover Girl customs I've seen on these forums (many of which re-use Scarlett or Lady Jaye heads).

Zartanman
03-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. That's what I love about the tank, we are all supportive of each others creative endeavors.

Flame Viper
03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
You did Cover Girl great justice.

I really dig it!

TK1945
03-27-2009, 09:26 AM
That was the best part, it snapped right on. It is a little tight though so limited movement.

Cool! I'm headed to Big Lots.

Badgumbo
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Excellent work! I am not super crazy about the head (Just looks too much like NK if that makes sense) but it certainly works with the angle you are trying to portray.