PDA

View Full Version : Transformers cartoon and why it ticks me off

Lody
03-24-2009, 01:59 AM
OK

So I started working out about 6 weeks back. Doctor said I could stand to lose 30 something pounds. Said I needed to drink more water. Get more exercise. Eat better.

I started taking my vitamins, working out 30 minutes EVERYDAY, cut a bunch of junk out of my diet and have been eating more grains and fruits ect. I cut soda out of my diet too.

I actually am starting to feel better.

So anywho, as I am working out I have been watching the Transformers on DVD. So obviously I have tons of time to think about the things that irk me. Tonight, I think I have had it. I was watching Season 3 and was up the episode "Carnage in C Minor." I think Buzz Dixon wrote. Horrible, horrible episode. What bugs me the most if the awful animation in some of the parts and the inconsistencies throughout, not just this episode, but the entire series. Having never worked for an animation studio, I gotta say that if I was part of the TF series, I would have some real issue with the quality of the product. I don't understand how ONE episode can have so many mistakes. And these mistakes are prevalent throughout the entire series. Aside from being totally bugged about the size inconsistency like how Ramhorn is half the size of the Omega Supreme type blue Guardians or how Devastator is such a weakling that one shot from Perceptor's (PERCEPTOR!!) Microscope cannon can knock him into pieces. PLease don't even get me started on Broadside and how grossly msrepresented this guy was. As I am watching the episode, Superion was featured through out as well as the blue fire truck (Hot Spot) from the Protectobots team. All of a sudden, The Protectobots are merged together as Defensor with Hot Spot right next to him fighting the Contructicons. How in the holy bananas does this stuff happen? Does anyone check the animators and say "Hey guys, you can't do this?" How do you get three Thrusts flying around with a group of Decepticons? Why do characters that weren't there for the last 7 minutes of the battle SUDDENLY appear? Why can Ultra Magnus' voice be heard yet Blaster's mouth is moving? How in the movie does Snarl (Stegosaurus Dinobot) appear and then is NEVER seen again? Suddenly Ultra Magnus can take off and fly-Hmm that's funny, I don't remember him being able to do THAT before. Yet Galvatron is knocked off a cliff and falls to the ground below-why not just fly like he ALWAYS does? Grimlock did that too in an episode. Seriously man, I can go on and on and on. I stood there tonight and got more and more aggravated as I watched it. How can you take pride in knowing all the quality issues? I can probably sit here all day and nit pick.

So my final question is:

How does this happen??

dgnr82
03-24-2009, 02:08 AM
All valid points. I just started watching Season 1 over again, and I was thinking the same thing. The worst so far in that season was in the first episode, Megatron yells to get them, but they show Optimus' mouth moving in the scene. And I might add, the very same scene they had just shown. And Roller? Optimus never had a trailer before Earth (I dont think, I mean, why would he?) but yet in one of the episodes Optimus decides to use him and all the Autobots are worried that Roller got blown up. Seriously? Where was he all this time? As a kid I overlokked all this, but looking back, al I can think is "Wow, I fell for this crap?"

Lody
03-24-2009, 02:13 AM
All valid points. I just started watching Season 1 over again, and I was thinking the same thing. The worst so far in that season was in the first episode, Megatron yells to get them, but they show Optimus' mouth moving in the scene. And I might add, the very same scene they had just shown. And Roller? Optimus never had a trailer before Earth (I dont think, I mean, why would he?) but yet in one of the episodes Optimus decides to use him and all the Autobots are worried that Roller got blown up. Seriously? Where was he all this time? As a kid I overlokked all this, but looking back, al I can think is "Wow, I fell for this crap?"
The episode with Roller I think was the same episode where Huffer takes Optimus' trailer because he was blown off a cliff.

dgnr82
03-24-2009, 02:14 AM
yeah, how the HELL is that possible???

Oh yeah, and in another episode, Hound gets stuck underwater under a pile of rocks, but yet somehow, Spike dives into a raging torrent of water and manages to move all the rocks to save Hound.

Lody
03-24-2009, 02:31 AM
yeah, how the HELL is that possible???

Oh yeah, and in another episode, Hound gets stuck underwater under a pile of rocks, but yet somehow, Spike dives into a raging torrent of water and manages to move all the rocks to save Hound.

That's not so much a quality issue as it is a suspending the belief scenario

dgnr82
03-24-2009, 02:35 AM
That's not so much a quality issue as it is a suspending the belief scenario

True, but still really annoying

Blaster'spunchingbagg
03-24-2009, 02:36 AM
What can I say, they were then under the impression kids will swallow that shit and they are still under that very same impression. Quality has never really been a priority with children's cartoons. BTAS and JLU are good quality shows but they are a small example.

Lody
03-24-2009, 02:39 AM
What can I say, they were then under the impression kids will swallow that shit and they are still under that very same impression. Quality has never really been a priority with children's cartoons. BTAS and JLU are good quality shows but they are a small example.

Yeah but are those series riddled with the same poor quality?

Lody
03-24-2009, 02:39 AM
True, but still really annoying

Oh gawd yea. They expect you to swollow this tripe

Shogi
03-24-2009, 03:04 AM
You've failed to mention how sometimes a Decepticon would have an autobot symbol :) I've noticed the same thing in the GI Joe series but no where near the amount of times as it happened in the Transformers series

Scoop
03-24-2009, 03:20 AM
You've failed to mention how sometimes a Decepticon would have an autobot symbol :) I've noticed the same thing in the GI Joe series but no where near the amount of times as it happened in the Transformers series

Thanks for pointing that out Shogi. I was just about to post exactly the same thing so it's good to know that I'm not the only one who noticed that about the symbols being wrong from time to time. Now I can sleep knowing I'm not going crazy.

Only us Master Control guys can get so crazy when it comes to these types of mistakes, right Shogi...LOL! We notice EVERY LITTLE THING!

By the way have you ever noticed that sometimes a Decepticon symbol shows up red for a second before it changes to purple and vice versa with the Autobot symbols?

Shogi
03-24-2009, 10:22 AM
By the way have you ever noticed that sometimes a Decepticon symbol shows up red for a second before it changes to purple and vice versa with the Autobot symbols?

Same thing happens to cobra symbols too!

Tankster
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
all i got to say is after the movie the animation went to shit~~~~
its like hit and miss with good animation shots and i think they re-hashed alot of animation scenes from previous episodes probably to save time and money
i think the best written and animated one is the revenge of bruticas
solid animation and action sequences
ya i am kinda pissed too i missed alot of season three when i was a kid and am truelly disappointed now that i am playing catch-up

Bermuda Mohawk
03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I hate to use this statement as more of a brush away cleaning of the horrid mistakes and laziness, but that's the way kid's shows were then. Nobody cared.

I believe it is thanks to BTAS that things got better. Case in point, the way some Transfans hold Beast Wars as some Holy Grail of animated storytelling. The funny thing is those writers were responsible for some of the most wonderfully stupid stories written in the 80's for the Master of the Universe and C.O.P.S. cartoons. Times changed by the later 90's, cartoons could have real stories, and good production. Even kids cartoon.

VIPER 48
03-24-2009, 11:57 AM

I have noticed this too...

Indy
03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Carange in C-Minor is everyone's episode to hate, as well for B.O.T.

In G.I. Joe, Iceberge was coloured Incorrectly serval times in episodes.

Transformers Headmasters was hard to Grasp once in a while as is... considering the changes in Scourge and Cyclonus' personailties.

This can be said for Ruby Spears' Megaman cartoon which had animation errors galore. It was still a semi decent cartoon.

RUNAMUCK
03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
it's a toon for kids yo, tsk tsk we musn'nt look too deep guy's. Yes all that crap happens in them toons i got the whole collection but it did soo move on and don't get soo worked up. good luck on the weight loss, it's always hard. remember it dose'nt taste as good as skinny feels.

Grand Slam
03-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Not saying GI Joe didn't have errors but nowhere near as much as TF G1. I always see people praising the TF cartoon and then crapping on the Joe toon. I don't think they've ever watched them back to back. I watch the Joe cartoons a couple times every week but I couldn't watch the TF cartoon series more than once (loved it as a kid though). I'm not picky nor do I hold animation up to some high standard, but the TF toon just has so many errors it's even too much for me.

miscreant
03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Carnage is widely regarded as the absolute low point in the G1 cartoon.

If you want to see some pretty animation, watch Call of The Primatives.

Barefoot Jedi
03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Post-movie Transformers season had some very weak animation. Some of the Season 2 episodes did as well, though.

They just cheaped out is all.

Some of the Season 3 episodes do have good animation, though, like the aforementioned "Primitives" episode, the episode with the technoorganic monsters, the one with the Quintesson scientist Inquirata (maybe the same ep?), the one with Chaos, etc. The return of Optimus Prime episodes had good animation as well.

Tall Creeper
03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I hate to use this statement as more of a brush away cleaning of the horrid mistakes and laziness, but that's the way kid's shows were then. Nobody cared.

I believe it is thanks to BTAS that things got better. Case in point, the way some Transfans hold Beast Wars as some Holy Grail of animated storytelling. The funny thing is those writers were responsible for some of the most wonderfully stupid stories written in the 80's for the Master of the Universe and C.O.P.S. cartoons. Times changed by the later 90's, cartoons could have real stories, and good production. Even kids cartoon.

I would have to agree with this statement as they didn't think anyone would really catch them or care about the mistakes for a kids cartoon at the time. Hell we more then likely missed a lot of those growing up!

Barefoot Jedi
03-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Well...I noticed just about every mistake made in Transformers when I was a child.

Coloring errors (I remember an all-blue Optimus Prime in energon chains in the Dinobot episodes, I think)
Clones of the 3 seekers
Reversed allegiance symbols
Reversed color eyes
Sideswipe standing in Decepticon HQ by Megatron
Post-Movie:
Dead characters suddenly alive again
Characters colored like other characters.
Mini-combined gestalts fighting next to their components
Inconsistent character voices

I remember debating with friends how Megatron and Soundwave shrank when they transformed and we decided it was due to molecular compression that was built into certain Transformers if it suited their alternate mode.

One of my favorite moments was when Megatron transformed into his gun mode but he only shrunk a little bit, then magnetically attached to the underside of Starscream's jet mode. Rubber bands made that a fun way to play as a child with them.

If you watch the episode from Season 1 where they go to the Inca temple, you can see in the last fight that Reflector's gun is Shockwave in gun mode.

Lody
03-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Post-movie Transformers season had some very weak animation. Some of the Season 2 episodes did as well, though.

They just cheaped out is all.

Some of the Season 3 episodes do have good animation, though, like the aforementioned "Primitives" episode, the episode with the technoorganic monsters, the one with the Quintesson scientist Inquirata (maybe the same ep?), the one with Chaos, etc. The return of Optimus Prime episodes had good animation as well.

It's funny that you mention the animation itself because as I was watching Carnage in C Minor-besides the whole annoying singing voices they spoke in-the animation was HORRID. VERY inconsistent to point that it was almost laughable.

Dream
03-25-2009, 01:24 AM
You got to remember, these were actually long commercials to get us to get our parents to buy these things.
A lot of the episodes were rushed, to keep costs down, and to just have something on the air.
I forget now if it was someone from the Joe cartoon or the TF cartoon, but there was a quote somewhere that says they were basically pushing out script after script to get episodes going, which explains the wackyness of some of them.
Most of the shows these days are very consistent with their storylines and whatnot.

Lody
03-25-2009, 01:32 AM
I read a profile on Wickepedia re: Octane. It said they replaced Blitzwing for him because Blitzwing's toy was no longer available and Octane's was coming out soon. They nevew even explained who he was or where he came from or even why he was exiled. Of course, about three episodes later who was in the background? Why golly, it was Blitzwing.

Novacaine
03-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Im sure Ill get some flak from this but Im going to come out and say it; "I think transformers was an overrated toy line, comic book, and cartoon series. I know how popular it is and Im sure over the years its made more money than GIJOE ever did but I just cant help how stupid some of the characters were/what they transformed into / from. I felt like everything was just a big toy commercial and we just keep making more crap to sell. The coolest thing about the Transformers in the 80's was the MOVIE. I want so badly to like them but I can never find a transformer that I think would really fit in with my JOEs or other 4" figures.

Tracker
03-25-2009, 02:02 AM
for me it simply the art style

Dawg99
03-25-2009, 03:19 AM
my son loves the new animated cartoon so that's all that matters

CynthiaCM
03-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Yes, the Transformers cartoon was implausible and, at times, inept. Honestly, though, I've never expected much out of a Sunbow cartoon, in terms of writing.

Lody
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Outside of the storylines and the animation itself

Why are there so many errors in the toon itself?

DeliriumSerum
03-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I like the animation errors. I feel smart when I find them. :D

Indy
03-30-2009, 11:21 PM
I like the animation errors. I feel smart when I find them. :D

Like this?

YouTube - Transformers Animation Errors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0PESSkI0YI)

Zartanman
03-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Not to mention all the times they forget to color in parts of the robots or color them wrong.

CobraBlue
03-30-2009, 11:37 PM
I remember on the Transformers: The Movie animated there was an episode of the cartoon not shown in America. Is it possible that the Transformers cartoon was japanese and then redubbed/rewritten for American audiences? Then you see a lot of editing and cuts that would explain all the strange continuity problems?

It seems that would explain a lot when compared to the minor errors in the Gi Joe cartoon. Frankly speaking though, the sunbow animation is incredible compared to what came out in the 1990s until now besides the Batman/Superman/JLA cartoons. Everything is that weird 1960s sponge-bob type crap.

spacemonkeymafia
03-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey now GI Joe had its share of them......Zartans Hood.....is a good one....