PDA

View Full Version : 80's Potential Now Realized..

Stygian
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
As a Joe collector of the 3 3/4" line that traces his 'heritage' back to the very beginnings, there were always figures which niggled at the back of my mind as never having lived up to the gorgeous artwork on the card. In other words, the potential of what the figure could have been based on that card art just seemed lacking in some way. For instance; before posting this Thread I was looking at an 80's carded Quick Kick and admiring the gorgeous card art, then I looked at the deformed looking lump that we received as the figure version of that art. Okay, deformed lump is perhaps being a bit unkind, but hopefully you see where I'm going with this.

My point with this Thread is two fold. One, to espouse how wonderfully Hasbro has erased past wrongs by finally doing RIGHT by that gorgeous 80's card art, and producing figures that now in many ways surpass it! Trust me, as an artist who appreciates the beauty of art first, that's saying a lot coming from me.

And two, to see if any of you have old favorite Joes from the 80's that didn't come quite close to the beauty of the card art on the packaging. I know there's gotta be a few out there, and probably more than a few. Or maybe the figure surpassed the art for you, and you have a few stories you'd like to share. Regardless, I look forward to hearing what you folks have to say.

mister_e
01-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I guess I'd have to say Storm Shadow v1. The card art is awesome, but the figure (particularly the head scupt) was always kind of "meh." The 25th version, however, is very nearly perfect (IMHO).

Stygian
01-09-2008, 11:38 PM
I guess I'd have to say Storm Shadow v1. The card art is awesome, but the figure (particularly the head scupt) was always kind of "meh." The 25th version, however, is very nearly perfect (IMHO).

Oh man, good example! He was one that I completely wanted to have as a favorite as a kid, but man that figure just didn't look anything like the art- and still doesn't. The 25th version though- perfection!

swafus
01-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Great topic!
I have 2 that come to mind right off hand. They aren't my favorite figures by any means but I do recall being totally bummed about their figure design compared to the card rendering.

Repeater 88' = A simple, sturdy realistic design and had one of the coolest gun/accessoriies in the line (It's the freaking steadi- cam machine gun from Aliens!!)
....but alas, Hasbro decided to take all of that bad-assedness and mix in .....the face of an ooompa-loompa!

Cross-Country 86' = This is another one with a lot of potential but once again hasbro decides to kill this figure with headsculpt which always resembled Barney Rubble to me when I was a kid! Throw in those white "leggings" on his boots, the sloppy design of the confederate hat and the overall use of way too many clashing colors and we received a sub par figure to pilot the Havoc.

swafus
01-09-2008, 11:49 PM

I totally agree! He always looked like he was sad or bored. Come to think of it, moast of the early cobra headsculpts looked rather melancholy and disappointed
(copperhead, cobra soldiers/officers, Firefly, scrap iron)

???

squeee666
01-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Being a fan of Dreadnoks, I'd have to say Zarana, Zandar, Road Pig, and Thrasher. The artwork looked great, but the figure sculpts always looked a little off. Lady Jaye is also a good example which is funny seeing how so many people are unhappy with her current sculpt. Just look at the 80s figure of her. Yet the card artwork portrayed her as a Pat Benetar-type military woman.

Steel Brigade
01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Cross County was a great example mentioned here.. My brothers & I always thought him (& GRUNT/GRAND SLAM) were the biggest uggo's of the Joe line for the figures...

the_loud_master
01-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Ooh! Breaker! He has a bread and yet the art shows none!

DarthBrett
01-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I always thought Lady Jaye had that 1940's/50's traditional all-American girl look to her. I think the new figure actually looks a lot like the artwork (I think a lot of fans wanted her to look like the cartoon version, which was more of a Southern country girl look).

Anyways, back on topic, I think Scarlett's new figure really improved upon the old one. The old one looked like a 13-year-old boy who wasn't happy being a redhead.

Dark 5cythe
01-10-2008, 12:11 AM

I dont see any bread........are you sure its breaker? :P

I would say Scarlet looked like crap. She was a pretty bad figure. Even by early joe standards.

swafus
01-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I always thought Lady Jaye had that 1940's/50's traditional all-American girl look to her. I think the new figure actually looks a lot like the artwork (I think a lot of fans wanted her to look like the cartoon version, which was more of a Southern country girl look).

Anyways, back on topic, I think Scarlett's new figure really improved upon the old one. The old one looked like a 13-year-old boy who wasn't happy being a redhead.

LMAO! Yeah she was another one (scarlett) that had that kinda melancholy "oh bother" look on her face. The original Lady Jaye had that squinty eyed pursed up face, like she was weened on a pickle?

Dark 5cythe
01-10-2008, 12:14 AM

Lady jay was a military pinup girl on her artwork. They need to make a cartoon accurate one though.

swafus
01-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Lady Jayes 85 card art was enough to give this 8 year old a phantom boner, that's for sure! LOL

Gentleman
01-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Excellent topic. I'm sure all of us feel identified with what you're talking about. We all must have felt this way as kids and then as adults. As kids, we would look at the cardbacks for a peek at other figures that were not yet available or simply sold out. When we finally came across them, some looked as promised and others looked like ass :p

Anyways... below I'll list all the 25th figures released thus far and I'll tell you which figures have finally realized their potential and which haven't ...according to me:D

Duke: NO (at this rate, they'll never get poor Duke right. The fig looks like a kid and the colors are all too bright or "washed". The card art shows a MAN, the figure's something "else").

Gung-Ho: NO (body and colors are alright but the tattoo doesn't stand out and the headsculpt could have been 100 times better)

Roadblock: NO (came close though. It's just that atrocious kid head)

Scarlett: 95% YES (wish her face looked more "mature" like in the artwork. Other than that, excellent!)

Snake Eyes: YES

Cobra Commander: YES

Destro: YES

Storm Shadow: YES YES YES

Cobra Trooper: Hmmm... well, YES

Baroness: NO (body's alright, but that's not the face of the Baroness. You look at the art and you see this beautiful and fatal W.O.M.A.N. - you don't get that feeling with this figure)

Flint: NO. I actually like the figure, but I know Hasbro can do better.

Cobra Officer: I'm gonna say YES

Snake Eyes V.2: YES (even if he isn't 100% faithful, this figure is HARDCORE!)

Cobra Commander (hooded): YES

Storm Shadow V.2: I'm lost here. I love the figure, but they took some liberties. I'm gonna say YES because the figure rocks and he does keep the essence of the design, but it woulda been nice to get a more faithful version. OH and I wish the tetris camo was darker!

Beachhead: YES

Buzzer: NO. I like the figure, but he's a bit plain. The "trophies" he's supposed to have on his shirt were very downplayed this time... and that woulda given him a lot more "character".

Serpentor: OH HELL NO. Yeah, the art is new, but that figure is atrocious! The colors are reversed and he looks terribly plain. Waiting for a repaint or the classic version.

Lady Jaye: I'm gonna say YES but, just like with Scarlett, I wish her face looked a little more like the art.

Firefly: NO! I like the figure, but the colors are off (too bright) and I think his headsculpt could have been much more hardcore. He looks like a good guy as is. The fact that he shares Beachhead's body doesn't bother me.

Stalker: YES YES YES (except for the weird weapon choice)

Red Ninja: YES YES YES

Shipwreck: NOPERS. Again, I like the figure, but it's not what it shoulda been. I think the headsculpt is actually very inspired. Problem's the body... it's totally out of place - too "extreme" and detail-lacking.

Zartan: YES YES YES. The art is new (and sucks), but this is how I've always wished Zartan would look. IMO, this is the ultimate Zartan. Classic version may come later, but I never liked the exposed arms and belly anyways.

Cobra Air Trooper: YES YES YES. Art and concept are new, but the figure kicks some major ass.

Snow Job: YES YES YES

Flash: 90% YES - I don't like his face. He looks a little dumb, doesn't he? Everything else looks as should.

Crimson Guard: NO! Another figure that I like but doesn't live up to the art, IMO. It is too skinny and what the hell happened with the mask??? Still love the figure.

IG Destro: YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

Torpedo: YES YES YES

Battle armor CC: YEP. Surprisingly, it's not more detailed than the vintage version and is looking kinda dull in the last pics I've seen.. but he's still neat.

Rock n' Roll: NOPE. He's just dull. I know he's supposed to be simple, but well...

Gentleman
01-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Wow I forgot the comic packs:

Hawk: YES, but I wouldn't have given him silver paint apps. Looks kinda out of place.

Torch: YES

Ripper: YES.

Breaker: NO. Headsculpt is... uh, just wrong. Too bad, because the bubble gum was a nice touch!

And I'll venture into unexplored territory:

Tomax & Xamot: YES YES YES!!!

Ace & Wild Weasel: YES YES YES!!! While Ace looks nothing like the vintage version, I consider it a very welcome upgrade in the right direction. Wild Weasel's just insane!!!

Wild Bill: YES YES YES. The vintage figure was always a disgrace to me. Now THIS is a cowboy! (?)

A.V.A.C.
01-10-2008, 01:09 AM
i would have to say techno viper, the figure is a purple, capeless, darthvader. i love the card art though. all the animals really sucked, except junkyard, i liked how they made him. but they are more of an accessory.

esg2145
01-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Airborne was always one of my favorites as kid, always dropping in off the bottom of my Dragonfly, with that cool looking M16 carbine as compared to the other M16s.........:)

Now look at him :( -

http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/83images/airborne.shtml

Not to mention this guy :( -

http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/83images/torpedo.shtml

That's OK, the new Torpedo will make up him once I add an MP5 and MK23 SOCOM from Maurader. :)

Eric - who has the whole pre-25th SEAL team (except for that douche "Tracker " ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/91/tracker.shtml ) - Oi Vey!

G.I.Eddie
01-10-2008, 09:09 AM

so that explains why the comic two pack Breaker is in the middle of the road as far as beard is concerned...
i didn't know the old card art left off the beard...it was weird to me when i got my 25th Breaker and he has light hair, and a shadow beard...yet the old toon and figure both have a dark beard and hair...Habro musta picked the middle ground

Stygian
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Great topic!
I have 2 that come to mind right off hand. They aren't my favorite figures by any means but I do recall being totally bummed about their figure design compared to the card rendering.

Repeater 88' = A simple, sturdy realistic design and had one of the coolest gun/accessoriies in the line (It's the freaking steadi- cam machine gun from Aliens!!)
....but alas, Hasbro decided to take all of that bad-assedness and mix in .....the face of an ooompa-loompa!

Cross-Country 86' = This is another one with a lot of potential but once again hasbro decides to kill this figure with headsculpt which always resembled Barney Rubble to me when I was a kid! Throw in those white "leggings" on his boots, the sloppy design of the confederate hat and the overall use of way too many clashing colors and we received a sub par figure to pilot the Havoc.

Great examples!!

To these two I'd add Lift-Ticket. What a goofy face they gave that guy, no? I love the Tomahawk, but the sculpt on that action figures face gave me nightmares! So much unrealized potential.

I just hope that if Hasbro ever re-does LT that they give him a more realistic face sculpt. One can wish.

Stygian
01-10-2008, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE=esg2145]
Not to mention this guy :( -

http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/83images/torpedo.shtml

That's OK, the new Torpedo will make up him once I add an MP5 and MK23 SOCOM from Maurader. :)
QUOTE]

Torpedo was always a mystery to me also. Here's a guy who's supposed to be a Navy frikkin' SEAL, and yet he looks like a scuba instructor on holiday in the Caman Islands! Where's his rebreather, HK sidearm, and other SEAL accoutrement? Even as a kid these oddities stuck out! Oh well, he looks much better now.

swafus
01-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Great examples!!

To these two I'd add Lift-Ticket. What a goofy face they gave that guy, no? I love the Tomahawk, but the sculpt on that action figures face gave me nightmares! So much unrealized potential.

I just hope that if Hasbro ever re-does LT that they give him a more realistic face sculpt. One can wish.

I almost went with lift ticket on this one too and I totally agree! The inordinately misshaped molded helmet and sideways chuckle grin always irked me as a kid. I was always thinking, what the hell are you giggling about dude, you're flying into a hot LZ to pick up the dead and dying!!

I'll also offer up:

Crazylegs '87 = The guy is all "death from above" on the card art and the figure looks like he's been sniffing glue and watching cartoons or something?

Metalhead '90 = I love the figure design and the mobile missile rig almost works and helps me forget that this guy is basically a reboot of scrap iron.........but that head?!.......where to begin with that head?? the hair, the ridiculous helmet, the sheer SIZE of his head......terrible

performula
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Cobra Commander (masked), Officer, Driver, Soldier, Storm Shadow, maybe even Firefly, all had droopy eyes compared to their artwork.

DarthBrett
01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
so that explains why the comic two pack Breaker is in the middle of the road as far as beard is concerned...
i didn't know the old card art left off the beard...it was weird to me when i got my 25th Breaker and he has light hair, and a shadow beard...yet the old toon and figure both have a dark beard and hair...Habro musta picked the middle ground

Actually, the old artwork did in fact have him with a 5 'o clock shadow, but it was mostly hidden by his headgear. Still, it wasn't a full-on beard like the old figure depicted him having.

chickenbroth
01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Covergirl. Great uniform and coloring, but the head was way wrong.

Stygian
01-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Lady jay was a military pinup girl on her artwork. They need to make a cartoon accurate one though.

What Hasbro could really benefit from doing is just go b's out with a really genuine feminine yet bad ass looking 25th Cover Girl figure! After all, she was a model, hence she should be the sexiest female of the bunch. I'm thinking Sienna Miller crossed with Heidi Klum...or some such.

Oh, and another figure with great card art and a figure that looks like it should have been included with a McHappy Meal- Leatherneck!! Sorry guys, I know this figure has his supporters, but the facial sculpt never lived up to the potential for me.

Stygian
01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I'll also offer up:

Crazylegs '87 = The guy is all "death from above" on the card art and the figure looks like he's been sniffing glue and watching cartoons or something?

Metalhead '90 = I love the figure design and the mobile missile rig almost works and helps me forget that this guy is basically a reboot of scrap iron.........but that head?!.......where to begin with that head?? the hair, the ridiculous helmet, the sheer SIZE of his head......terrible

All of these had me rolling!! Metalhead was definitely an odd duck figure, wasn't he? I never understood him one bit.

Oh, and lest I forget poor Flint! With that goofy smirk and poorly sculpted beret, he just looked terrible when compared to the much better looking (and similiarly attired) Falcon.

swafus
01-10-2008, 10:08 PM
All of these had me rolling!! Metalhead was definitely an odd duck figure, wasn't he? I never understood him one bit.

Oh, and lest I forget poor Flint! With that goofy smirk and poorly sculpted beret, he just looked terrible when compared to the much better looking (and similiarly attired) Falcon.

I never really liked Flint's smirk but I dealt with it because I loved the rest of the fig. I always thought falcon had a great overall design! Never cared for the character at all (I blame the movie for that).

Dark 5cythe
01-10-2008, 10:21 PM
We cant ignore v1 snake eyes either.....i mean really....he is really crappy looking lol. I cant believe we all loved these figures when we were kids!

Steel Brigade
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Great examples!!

I second Lift-Ticket that was the BEST vehicle with the WORST driver. He looked like a clown.

NeilJam
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
I second Lift-Ticket that was the BEST vehicle with the WORST driver. He looked like a clown.

I remember seeing the Tomahawk in the catalog that year and noticing that Lift-Ticket couldn't be seen which just made me want to see what he looked like even more. Eventually my cousin says he saw the Tomahawk in a store and that LT looked "awesome." I was quite disappointed when I finally saw him myself, but the Tomahawk was still a great vehicle to pack a bunch of Joes in.

swafus
01-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Hydro Viper 88' = When I saw the coming soon pic on the back of the first 88 series fig. I picked up I remember being stoked! This must be a new scary version of the Eels?! Alas, the color pallet for this fig. (purple, red and black) works better as a bruise. It came with a "pet" stingray? One of the hands was webbed?...a result of the genetic experiments to...I guess.....help him swim better?? and I never really got the "demon of the deep" thing either? This would have been a better title for a cobra horror movie!
I remember leaving this figure on the pegs as a kid and I bought a Starcom vehicle instead :-)

Stygian
01-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Hydro Viper 88' = When I saw the coming soon pic on the back of the first 88 series fig. I picked up I remember being stoked! This must be a new scary version of the Eels?! Alas, the color pallet for this fig. (purple, red and black) works better as a bruise. It came with a "pet" stingray? One of the hands was webbed?...a result of the genetic experiments to...I guess.....help him swim better?? and I never really got the "demon of the deep" thing either? This would have been a better title for a cobra horror movie!
I remember leaving this figure on the pegs as a kid and I bought a Starcom vehicle instead :-)

OMG, you're so right!! I remember seeing the card art for that guy (this was long after I'd stopped collecting and was trying to get back into it) and thinking that I absolutely HAD to get him! See, I have a weird fetish surrounding removeable helmets, and scuba oriented characters nearly always seemed have this feature, so I figured (no pun intended) I'd be in heaven with this guy- great design, very dangerous and edgy looking, and a great set of gear! What could go wrong?

Then....I saw the figure. Then I tried to put the equipt. on the figure. After the disappointment of seeing the figure itself, and then the fact that his helmet kept coming off...I just threw up my hands. Again, potential...unrealized.

That being said, now could be Hasbro's chance to do RIGHT by Hydro-Viper! What'dya say, Hasbro?

Sy-Rein
01-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I still have my Hydro-viper and he's still one of my favs. I got a thing for scuba figures as well. There is a trick that I gotta do to get his helmet to stay on right (tilting his back while the helmet gets tilted forward seems to 'lock' it onto his head). The only problem I had with him was his webbed hand cant hold anything but for the 'cool' factor I let that slide.

Stygian
01-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Okay, got to go here. I'm gonna have to call out HISS Driver as one of the more odd and really bad designs for an 80's era trooper. Granted, Habro would top HISS in the bad design dept. further down the road, but the 80's sculpt for that figure never sat right with me.

When HISS driver is redone in the 25th style I have a feeling past wrongs will be righted, but as he stands now- 80's version- sorry, yuck.

Stygian
01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
I still have my Hydro-viper and he's still one of my favs. I got a thing for scuba figures as well. There is a trick that I gotta do to get his helmet to stay on right (tilting his back while the helmet gets tilted forward seems to 'lock' it onto his head). The only problem I had with him was his webbed hand cant hold anything but for the 'cool' factor I let that slide.

Too right. I loved that webbed hand as one of the cooler features, but as you said, what the hell is he supposed to do with that hand- tread bathtub water?!