PDA

View Full Version : If you don't like the accelerator suits how can you like...

Troynos
02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Started this list in the Ripcord figure thread. Got me thinking about people complaining about the "super powers" of the suits. It's sci-fi, but so is ALOT of what is in G.I. Joe.

As Larry Hama himself said in that interview GeneralJoe did that was posted today, he's always considered Joe to be sci-fi because "they have a laser trooper".

You do realize this is the same franchise that gave us:

-talking reptile/humanoid creatures that were 1000s of years old with bio-technology that could mutate people and used living bugs as weapons/buildings

-Battle Android Troopers

-Clones built from the DNA of long dead military leaders

-Laser Troopers and laser weapons

-Giant Mech-like robot battlesuits that were used on the moon

-M.A.S.S. Device that can teleport people/equipment in large quantities anywhere in the world

-a weather controling device

- giant block boxes that when connected with a satellite in space could blanket the world in an anti-electronics pyramid

- an alternate universe where the Baroness and Steeler were lovers

- huge underground bases

-raised an island from the bottom of the ocean and didn't cause massive tidal waves and destruction worldwide and within hours became a legal country

-has ninja warriors that can fake their own deaths

-has nanotechs that can control people (first DDP limited series)

-has people augmented by nanotechs (the Red Shadows in DDP)

-has a battlesuit that can turn invisible (Wraith)

-has created human/animal hybrids (Valor vs Venom)

- a Broadcast Energy Transmitter that can give power to any device

-giant worm like creatures that live in giant tubes on the ocean floor

-a guy that can change color like a chameleon

-ninjas that can recognize someone in a photograph by that person's walk

-the Rolling Thunder vehicle

-the Thunderclap vehicle

-a brainwave scanner that can be used to brainwash people

-a satellite that rained acid down on people (DDP)

-a remote station in the arctic that turned people into Yeti-like monsters (DDP)

-a vehicle that looks like a giant bouncing pogo stick (the Pogo Ball)

-AT-ST like walker vehicles (G.I. Joe #8)

-shooting down an attack jet with a machine gun (Marvel)

-able to construct tanks in a small town in america and no one finds out (Springfield)

-the Star-Viper (pilot of the Stileto) that is tech-enhanced

-the MCC vehicle

-guys able to carry and use huge missle launchers (Backblast, Heavy Duty, Scrap Iron, Metalhead, not even talking about the stuff that came with the Battlecorps line)

-SNAKE armor that can control the mind of anyone wearing it

-Robojoe and Mega Marines

-Terrordromes that can emit a frequancy that makes people go crazy

-giant temple like fortresses that can sink into the ground

-man-made vines that when get wet go crazy and attack/grow/constrict anything in it's path

-giants missiles hidden inside an office building

-mirrors that can redirect an energy beam back at it's source

Should I go on?

So where and how exactly do accelerator suits not fit into G.I. Joe?

Fierce Krypton
02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
nerds will have nerd rage, just facts.

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:07 PM
your arguments intrigue me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter

qwe
02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
If he isn't jumping out of an airplane, it's not Ripcord.

Love the list though...

Sergeant Major
02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
nerds will have nerd rage, just facts.

Amen.

This post reflects my interests. :D ^5's, BDB

Troynos
02-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Forgot:

- communicate/fight with ghosts

- get trapped in a cave full of radiation and live

- be mute and still be part of an elite military unit

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Damn you and your Vulcan logic!

Headman
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM
First, Larry Hama is not the God of GI Joe. Buzz Dixon is. Second, I don't hate the suits because they're sci-fi. I hate them because they're trendy, tight, black body armor that makes everyone look the same. Plus it's kinda stupid to have a GI Joe origins story that starts with the freakin' Star Brigade.

Dream
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
The first G.I. Joe episode dealt with Dreadnoks in space with cute little furry animals that mutate into giant evil wookies with ray guns.

Sergeant Major
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM
First, Larry Hama is not the God of GI Joe.

Uh....even I can't defend you from that kind of silly talk.

Dream
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Wait, who is Larry Hama??

lol.

Headman
02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Uh....even I can't defend you from that kind of silly talk.

I don't think an army of robot ninjas could defend those statements around these parts, but it sure was fun to say.

RoadShlock
02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
...and for the record, some sci-fi works better than others. Those shiny suits? they don't work for me. Give me giant tube-worms ANYDAY.

The Commander
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
First, Larry Hama is not the God of GI Joe.

Um....alright....I'd beg to differ...but ok....

thunderdan19
02-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Who's Buzz Dixon?

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Larry Hama is God. He loves us and wants us to be happy. Have you given your life to Larry Hama? He has plans for you and your life. Larry Hama can make your life better. Has anyone took the time to tell you about the teachings of Larry Hama? It's right here in Tne Book of Joedom. Here are some phamplets, i'll be back tomorrow.

Troynos
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
First, Larry Hama is not the God of GI Joe. Buz Dixon is. Second, I don't hate the suits because they're sci-fi. I hate them because they're trendy, tight, black body armor that makes everyone look the same. Plus it's kinda stupid to have a GI Joe origins story that starts with the freakin' Star Brigade.

So because the X-men had black suits, that means no one else can?

It's a military unit. In real military units, everyone does look the same.

And why's it stupid? The movie takes place in the near future. They aren't the Star Brigade. The accelerator suits take technology that the military is researching today and moves it forward a little. What is so wrong with that?

Sergeant Major
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Larry Hama is God. He loves us and wants us to be happy. Have you given your life to Larry Hama? He has plans for you and your life. Larry Hama can make your life better. Has anyone took the time to tell you about the teachings of Larry Hama? It's right here in Tne Book of Joedom. Here are some phamplets, i'll be back tomorrow.

Seriously. I think I have a Man-Crush on your posts.

Troynos
02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
The first G.I. Joe episode dealt with Dreadnoks in space with cute little furry animals that mutate into giant evil wookies with ray guns.

Damn, how could I forget the Fatal Furries.

Headman
02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
So because the X-men had black suits, that means no one else can?

It's a military unit. In real military units, everyone does look the same.

And why's it stupid? The movie takes place in the near future. They aren't the Star Brigade. The accelerator suits take technology that the military is researching today and moves it forward a little. What is so wrong with that?

A. Yes
B. I thought we were going sci-fi and not realistic.
C. Wha?
D. MARLON WAYANS!

Troynos
Who's Buzz Dixon?

Chuck "Buzz" Dixon

bigdaddyblue73
Hey C.I.A.D. would you like to come to church with me on Sunday, there will be a 5 hour discourse on Larry Hama?

Fast_Draw
you've convinced me. now I hate it all.

delta
02-27-2009, 05:26 PM
you've convinced me. Now i hate it all.
haha!

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I hate everything that is remotely different from anything that i had when I was 9. The world should have stopped then. now the world should repeat itself according to my own wishes and fix the things that were screwed up in my childhood by giving me new stuff that is the same stuff but different stuff but the exact same only way better..........yeah.

CornDog_The_Ninja
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM

So what you're saying is those aren't real?

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I have one but it ain't on the ocean floor!

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAH

delta
02-27-2009, 05:29 PM
HAHA! You guys like Power suits!!

Troynos
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I hate everything that is remotely different from anything that i had when I was 9. The world should have stopped then. now the world should repeat itself according to my own wishes and fix the things that were screwed up in my childhood by giving me new stuff that is the same stuff but different stuff but the exact same only way better..........yeah.

lol, awesome

Can't forget:

-Dinosaur hunters

bigdaddyblue73
Manimals!

Devil King
Who is to say that because someone doesn't like he suits, they are hypocrits? I don't care for cartoon movie's premise, even if I like to watch it from time to time. I can't stand the entire idea behind Serpentor; comic or cartoon.

I don't really see Larry Hama as a god. I know he's done a lot for G.I. Joe, but that's not to say he hasn't missed the mark in my book, a number of times. Super powers and Sci-Fi is okay in a comic book and a cartoon. But a movie we are supposed to believe is happening in our world today? Not so much.

Nerd rage has little to do with it. I'm not bitching because Destro isn't in his mask all the time; I don't care that the Vipers are different or that MARS is coming into the picture before Cobra. I'm thrilled you love the movie and are nerdgasming over it. Such is just not the case for me.

See, people on the other side of the super powers divide can be insulting too. No one on this site has any business using the term nerd as an insult. We're all adults who sit at home and play with toys.

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd

Troynos
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I actually don't like the idea of the suits and hope they aren't a huge part of the movie. I'd prefer straight ahead military action, but I understand that to catch the attention of the average movie-goer and new generations of fans that there needs to be some kind of "hook" to make the movie stand out.

I just wanted to point out to all those people that say "the suits have no place in G.I. Joe" that there are dozens of elements that are on par or surpass the suits in "far fetched", "non-military" and so on.

And it's not our world today, it's our world in the near future. The technology for the suits is already being developed today, so who's to say in 10 years that an accelerator suit isn't common military uniform?

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I actually don't like the idea of the suits and hope they aren't a huge part of the movie. I'd prefer straight ahead military action, but I understand that to catch the attention of the average movie-goer and new generations of fans that there needs to be some kind of "hook" to make the movie stand out.

I just wanted to point out to all those people that say "the suits have no place in G.I. Joe" that there are dozens of elements that are on par or surpass the suits in "far fetched", "non-military" and so on.

And it's not our world today, it's our world in the near future. The technology for the suits is already being developed today, so who's to say in 10 years that an accelerator suit isn't common military uniform?

Well nuts to you :D

Dansolo
02-27-2009, 05:40 PM

-and revive them when they ARE dead (maybe they were only mostly dead?)

delta
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM

And in the future, soldiers will probably looke even stupider than they do today. Soldiers now all have that shitty looking Digi-Camo, listen to bad Nu-metal music, and wear those god aweful Oakley sunglasses.

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
-and revive them when they ARE dead (maybe they were only mostly dead?)

No, Larry Hama uses his divinity to bring them back from the dead after 3 days. It's in the Book of Joedom. Yeah.

thunderdan19
02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Who's Chuck Dixon again?

Headman
02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Change things around all you want. Just don't get mad when some people don't like it.

Troynos
02-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Who's Chuck Dixon again?

Writer of the new IDW G.I. Joe comic.

spacemonkeymafia
02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
The Govt has a Weather Controlling machine.....

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Who's Chuck Dixon again?

Chuck Dixon was Larry Hama's 1st prophet. He interpreted the Book of Joedom from seven clay tablets that only he could read. He brought the word of Larry Hama to us all. Now he sits at the right hand of Larry Hama in The Pit (heaven) where he rules for a thousand years.

MLos1
02-27-2009, 05:48 PM
The list is correct. But Ripcord he ain't. I see the acc-suits as no big deal. I just wish he were stalker.

"Stalker," too evil sounding? So, we get Ripcord? I just dislike that.

I could actually see the acc-suits as happening in an episode of the cartoon/comic. so it's cool with me.

thunderdan19
02-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I guess that would make Dixon kind of an "AntiHama" then.

Nah, Hama's the authority on Joe. I mean, the guy wrote the filecards and the comic book. If the supersuits are good enough for Larry, they're good enough for me. Besides, they are only one of many outfits sported by Joes in the movie and are only featured in one battle scene.

Anyway, it's like Master Chief meets Wraith. What's not to like?

Headman
02-27-2009, 05:53 PM
I guess that would make Dixon kind of an "AntiHama" then.

Nah, Hama's the authority on Joe. I mean, the guy wrote the filecards and the comic book. If the supersuits are good enough for Larry, they're good enough for me. Besides, they are only one of many outfits sported by Joes in the movie and are only featured in one battle scene.

Anyway, it's like Master Chief meets Wraith. What's not to like?

What you people don't seem to understand is the real Larry Hama is locked away in a cell right now while Hasbro's synthoid Hama is going around spreading the love for the new movie and calling all the fan boys social retards.

thunderdan19
02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
What you people don't seem to understand is the real Larry Hama is locked away in a cell right now while Hasbro's synthoid Hama is going around spreading the love for the new movie and calling all the fan boys social retards.

Who you callin' social???

delta
02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Who you callin' social???

haha!

Troynos
02-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Hama probably gets tired of answering the question "do you like the movie stuff" over and over. You know that's all he's being asked, all the time, and people are expecting him to say "no" and are surprised when he says he liked it.

Headman
02-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Hama probably gets tired of answering the question "do you like the movie stuff" over and over. You know that's all he's being asked, all the time, and people are expecting him to say "no" and are surprised when he says he liked it.

I'd like it if they paid me too.

Freedom
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
When you get through watching the movie, you'll all realize that Marlon Wayans can kick Chuck Norris's ass!

Headman
02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
when you get through watching the movie, you'll all realize that marlon wayans can kick chuck norris's ass!

whaaaaa!?!

thunderdan19
02-27-2009, 06:05 PM
When you get through watching the movie, you'll all realize that Marlon Wayans can kick Chuck Norris's ass!

Now that's just plain blashemy... funny... but evil...

spacemonkeymafia
02-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Dude you might have a roundhouse kick in a email waiting on you from Chuck if he ever heard that....

Freedom
02-27-2009, 06:07 PM
No lie. Marlon Wayans cured cancer, because he made Chuck Norris cry.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Marlon Wayans.

bigdaddyblue73

Hey pal, you know that comercial were Chuck shows up on the doorstep of those two guys making fun of him on the internet?

Well....KNOCK KNOCK!

That ain't Marlon freakin Wayans at the door.

gunslingercbr
Change things around all you want. Just don't get mad when some people don't like it.
nobody is opposed to others not liking it. it is when they say it has no place in G.I. Joe that is being contested.

spacemonkeymafia
02-27-2009, 06:10 PM
If GI Joe can have a Baked Potato in it why not Power Suits....

After the damn potato and Monopoly I think I have seen it all....

Hell put 2 cats in it that talk and fight CC Dogs....

Headman
02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
nobody is opposed to others not liking it. it is when they say it has no place in G.I. Joe that is being contested.

People have been saying things have no place in GI Joe since Serpentor popped out of his test tube.

Greyryder
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
My problem with bat su.... I mean power suits, is that aside from making everybody look like second rate Snake Eyes knock offs, that scene from the teaser with the guys doing the crazy flips down the street, and going Bonecrusher on that bus makes it look like they're trying to make a bad super hero movie.

I really hope they don't add nipples to those things, in the sequels....

bigdaddyblue73
02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Codpieces, we gotta have codpieces!

spazzy
02-27-2009, 07:08 PM
nice rant....hopefully it will get the attention of some.

Tracker
02-27-2009, 07:11 PM
The suit are very much like the fully realized Future Combat System Suits the military is looking to make and they remind habit of Halo so it all good :D

Troynos
02-27-2009, 08:41 PM
No lie. Marlon Wayans cured cancer, because he made Chuck Norris cry.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Marlon Wayans.

HAHAHAHAHA, now that's funny...

Shin-Gouki
02-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I have no problem with the concept of the suits, I have a problem with how they look and everyone looking the bloody same.

Oh and BTW Marlon Wayans could not hold Chuck Norris' Jock Strap.

Troynos
02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I really don't see the issue with everyone looking the same. In the real military, everyone looks the same.

So why wouldn't Joe?

Mandingo Rex
02-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't have a problem with silliness in past GI Joe, and I don't contest that GI Joe should have some sort of suspended disbelief required to enjoy it...

I was just hoping for something a TAD more serious and not some typically bad Hollywood sci-fi movie... I think the X-Men films were way toned down from their silliness in the comics... No bright yellow spandex, and the toned-down leather mess didn't bother me that much.

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra seems to be toned UP in the disbelief department... I don't see military, I see crazy future-space movie when I see something like that.

And I completely agree that nonsense like Fatal Fluffies was completely stupid. I cringed when watching that episode for the first time as an adult. Who greenlit that nonsense?

But with that said, why do they continue to have to make GI Joe into some silly sci-fi mess? I WANT them to change it and make it more military and believable... Can't it go the route of Dark Knight and be more reality-based while fantastic elements still happen? Instead of a ridiculously flashy film like Batman Forever which is in the realm of believable only if you're heavily medicated?

sonofdestro
02-27-2009, 09:17 PM
-talking reptile/humanoid creatures that were 1000s of years old with bio-technology that could mutate people and used living bugs as weapons/buildings

Cobra La is real. I have been there.

Headman
02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I really don't see the issue with everyone looking the same. In the real military, everyone looks the same.

So why wouldn't Joe?

The problem is an entire line of action figures with similar bodies and different heads.

gunslingercbr
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
The problem is an entire line of action figures with similar bodies and different heads.

so do you dislike the action figures or the movie? you can separate your opinions of each. I'll agree, they lead to visually boring toys, but why would that bother you watching them in a movie and judging that by its own merits?

Firefly77
02-27-2009, 09:33 PM
As for the origional post, great list of out there situations. I see this as different though. I just wish they had paid more homage to the origional design. Hell, they could have made it take place in the 80's.

As for the origional stories? Well. When I was a kid I enjoyed them, I still do, but with a grain of salt. Let's just say that there are some of us who would have taken a different course if given any creative control over the upcoming movie. That much is clear.

Do they have to appease us? No.
Do we have the right to bitch when we're disheartened? Yes.

Do I have to tell you this? No.

While you do have some valid points, I still don't like the upcoming product, be it the film or the toys associated with it.

Troynos
02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Why is it different though? It's just another element added to the Joe mythos.

None of the various incarnations of Joe really relate fully to eachother, there's differences in all of them.

Comics (Marvel, DDP)
Cartoon (Sunbow, DiC)
Valor vs Venom
Sigma Six
IDW Comics
Resolute Comics
Movie

All are different takes on the Joe franchise. Some are good, some aren't. But all are Joe.

Headman
02-27-2009, 09:40 PM
so do you dislike the action figures or the movie? you can separate your opinions of each. I'll agree, they lead to visually boring toys, but why would that bother you watching them in a movie and judging that by its own merits?

Why can't I hate both? Why is it that I can't find the costumes for the movie unappealing and take random pot shots at them on the internet without some form of justification? After all, I haven't seen the movie yet and all I can judge it by is what I have seen. Of course I could take the wait and see approach, but then who would play the foil in the countless "I hate haters" threads that keep springing up? I guess Delta, but you gotta change it up a bit.

gunslingercbr
02-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Why can't I hate both? Why is it that I can't find the costumes for the movie unappealing and take random pot shots at them on the internet without some form of justification? After all, I haven't seen the movie yet and all I can judge it by is what I have seen. Of course I could take the wait and see approach, but then who would play the foil in the countless "I hate haters" threads that keep springing up? I guess Delta, but you gotta change it up a bit.
by all means, hate them both to hell!

Firefly77
02-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the list of various incarnations of GI Joe. I was already aware of them, and as you may suspect there are some that I appreciated, and some that I stayed away from. This, being yet another incarnation and featuring some of my favorite personalities, is one of those that I think I may avoid.

I see it as different because this is a revival of sorts, isn't it? This is a nod to the old school GI Joe personalities. Yet, when so much has changed I cannot help but feel the desire to protest with my opinion. Aren't we all entitled to that?

Now, in the thread about the figure, you, Tronos, called my statements sad. I don't mean to post a back and forth here but I felt the urge to respond. So I did, in that thread, and that's the end of that.

I don't want to use a forum to mock people or call their opinions sad. I'll take a dip in the mud with you, but I ain't going for a swim. I appreciate you trying to convince me that the new line associated with the movie is good stuff, It's clear that you stand by the product. Good news though. My share of this line will remain on the toy store shelves.

Again though, great list. It brought back some good memories and almost makes me want to watch the old cartoon again.

Gamble
02-27-2009, 10:04 PM
First, Larry Hama is not the God of GI Joe. Buzz Dixon is. Second, I don't hate the suits because they're sci-fi. I hate them because they're trendy, tight, black body armor that makes everyone look the same. Plus it's kinda stupid to have a GI Joe origins story that starts with the freakin' Star Brigade.

Headman got it right many posts ago.

People should take Joe with a grain of salt.

Hmheggins2000
02-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I think too many fans are already jumping on the dislike bandwagon(the whole ripcord issue, let it go it's a done deal). We haven't seen the movie yet. Their may have a cool backstory on the suits. Maybe the suits were stolen from Mars? Maybe they were developed by Destro? The suits must have a good story or they would have made it into the scrypt.

Headman
02-27-2009, 10:11 PM
by all means, hate them both to hell!

Awesome. Glad we got that squared away. :)

Troynos
02-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't stand by the product, I stand by that it's a different take on the franchise and should be viewed as such. It's not Hasbro taking messing with the '80s fans, it's Hasbro trying to keep the franchise alive.

Some of the movie stuff looks bad (that Humvee and Nitro-Viper looks like it belongs more in the Corps! line) and some of it looks good. I had no intention of getting the A-Suit Ripcord, but then saw the pics and was impressed by the figure.

Troynos
02-27-2009, 10:12 PM
I think too many fans are already jumping on the dislike bandwagon(the whole ripcord issue, let it go it's a done deal). We haven't seen the movie yet. Their may have a cool backstory on the suits. Maybe the suits were stolen from Mars? Maybe they were developed by Destro? The suits must have a good story or they would have made it into the scrypt.

Exactly. It seems like alot of people are disliking the movie just because it's not what they wanted it to be.

Let it stand on it's own. Never know, it could be a worthy addition to the Joe franchise. Can't be anyworse then Cobra-La.

Gamble
02-27-2009, 10:13 PM

The suit in the movie works for me. Although, the suit toy looks quite lame.

From looking at the preview of the accelerator suit, I get the impression it would brake in under an hour.

Headman
02-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Exactly. It seems like alot of people are disliking the movie just because it's not what they wanted it to be.

Let it stand on it's own. Never know, it could be a worthy addition to the Joe franchise. Can't be anyworse then Cobra-La.

Everything is worse than Cobra La.

Greyryder
02-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Everything is worse than Cobra La.

Cobra La is the only that could save this movie.

Xerofall
02-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I like how different the Joes and Cobra's costumes were, even Scarlett's leotard.

Their differences made them unique and cool. I can see why Hama didn't like Duke as much, his head looked too much like Hawk. In some comics it's hard to tell them apart unless you really paid attention.

Then when you had the Joes in their dress uniforms, it was really hard to tell them apart. The new GI Joe comic does that. I don't like that.

Some found it silly that Torpedo was running around D.C. in full wetsuit and flippers... but if he were in anything else, you wouldn't know he was Torpedo and you lose the uniqueness of the character.

Yes, the X-men movie had matching uniforms, but the characters were true, Wolverine was a jerk, Storm was a hot black woman, etc... but even Marvel took liberties when translating to film... the Kingpin was white in the comics and black in the Daredevil movie. I don't even have a problem with that because black or white, the Kingpin character was the same.

I do have a problem with the character Ripcord hopping around Paris in a suit that looks like Wraith.

That's just not Ripcord. Stalker maybe, I could believe that... but not Ripcord.

Where or why they pulled the name Ripcord to be best buds with Duke for the movie is beyond me.

boba fett
02-28-2009, 12:14 AM

I want to be a "hamanite" I want to go be ther!

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I want to be a "hamanite" I want to go be ther!

Welcome to the flock.

Troynos
02-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Being a Hamanite is a good thing.

When you die, you go to heaven and the Great Hama reads you Marvel Special Missions all the time.

swafus
02-28-2009, 12:21 AM

That's just like saying that George Lucas is not the God of Star Wars! Larry Hama is most certainly the God of G.I.Joe.

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 12:25 AM
On the first day Larry Hama created the Cobra and Joes and he saw that it was good.

On the 2nd day Larry Hama created The Pit and Cobra Island and he saw that it was good.

On the 3rd he created Stormshadow and said "Holy crap this guy is awesome." And he saw that it was good.

DistantFred
02-28-2009, 12:26 AM
I WANT them to change it and make it more military and believable... Can't it go the route of Dark Knight and be more reality-based while fantastic elements still happen?

So one of kind prototype rocket tanks whose front axels turn into motor bikes are believable?
The electro-memory fabric in the cape is believable?
Batman Begin's microwave bomb crazy gas thing is believable?
That ridiculous cellphone sonar crap is believable?

More so than a strength enhancing power suit?
More than some kind of nanite based 'clean bomb'?

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes, infinitely more believable.

swafus
02-28-2009, 12:33 AM

this could totally happen. it was a .50 caliber

Headman
02-28-2009, 12:34 AM
That's just like saying that George Lucas is not the God of Star Wars! Larry Hama is most certainly the God of G.I.Joe.

Lucas has absolute power over the Star Wars galaxy. Hama continues to be employed because Hasbro knows how to play the nostalgia game.

Tanksmasher
02-28-2009, 12:40 AM

this could totally happen. it was a .50 caliber
Possible...yes. Plausible...no.

Lifeline_MD
02-28-2009, 12:42 AM
The suits themselves aren't the issue (generally), its mostly that the uniform change was absolutely unnecessary.

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Lucas has absolute power over the Star Wars galaxy. Hama continues to be employed because Hasbro knows how to play the nostalgia game.

Ah, but that's what the devil (Hasbro Execs) want you to think.

Gunzlingr
02-28-2009, 12:47 AM
You forgot that the cartoon had a band comprised of a sailor in drag, a ninja commando in drag, a timberwolf in drag, and a parrot in drag.

Unless the characters look like the village people and the baddies have neon purple helicopters. brightly colored uniforms and jai alai scoops, It will never be GI Joe in my book. This is a blatant gang rape of my childhood memories, and quite possibly what caused Caprica 6 to miscarry.

/sarcasm

Barefoot Jedi
02-28-2009, 12:48 AM
This sounds like the beginning of a nursery rhyme:

If you don't like the the accelerator suits
How could you like some rubber yellow boots?
If you don't like ketchup on your ice cream scoop
How can you like a pile of purple poop?
If you don't like the mechanized machines
How can you like the jigamigathings?

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 12:50 AM
If you don't like the movie
How can you like to be groovy?
If you don't like the cast
How can you like to drive fast?
If you don't like our rhyme
How can you like lemon and lime?

delta
02-28-2009, 12:51 AM
this sounds like the beginning of a nursery rhyme:

If you don't like the the accelerator suits
how could you like some rubber yellow boots?
If you don't like ketchup on your ice cream scoop
how can you like a pile of purple poop?
If you don't like the mechanized machines
how can you like the jigamigathings?haha!

Gunzlingr
02-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Doesn't Slaughter 3:16 say "If tho doesn't have something nice to say, then shut the fuck up"?

Excuse me while I finish fasting for Hamadan.

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Hama Hama Hama Hama Hama Hama Hama Hama

Have you accepted Hama into your Life?

Headman
02-28-2009, 01:01 AM

lol

delta
02-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Of course I could take the wait and see approach, but then who would play the foil in the countless "I hate haters" threads that keep springing up? I guess Delta, but you gotta change it up a bit.I wouldn't take the wait, and see approach. I'll take the, I have seen all I need to see approach.

"Logic" seems to be a buzz word going on around here a lot lately. I'm seeing a lot of "MY LOGIC IS GREATER THAN YOUR LOGIC" post, and it's pretty funny watching them unfold.

Fact is all this stuff coming out for the movie reeks of un-coolness, and nobody's "HERE IS MY LONG LOGIC TOOL" post, is going to justify this un-cool stuff to me.

G.I.Eddie
02-28-2009, 01:36 AM
...but I understand that to catch the attention of the average movie-goer and new generations of fans that there needs to be some kind of "hook" to make the movie stand out.
um, thats what they tacked the title "G.I.JOE" onto this movie for...the rest was just Hollywood arrogance..."my ideas are better"

So why wouldn't Joe?
um, duh, cause it looks visually boring?...like, the bad guys and good guys being so similar is confusing, for sure...

(valley girl accent thrown in for fun:D)

SnakeEyes
02-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Okay, so I didn't read all the responses. And I may be repeating what was already said, but sorry!

The original post is 100% accurate. GI JOE as we knew it as kids had, without a doubt, some of the most R-E-DICULOUS, out of this world, far fetched ideas out there. However, one thing made it marketable.

We were all R-E-DICULOUS, out of this world, far fetched, and highly imaginative young kids. I cannot say the same thing for my 8yr old son now. The changes in our society have opened our children's eyes to the reality of life, love, and war. Our naive little minds of the '80s would've been blown away in today's world!

That's why I was so excited when I found out they were making a live action film. I was hoping to see a more realistic approach to the franchise. I didn't want another Starship Troopers. I didn't want a live action Power Rangers. I wanted a real live, gritty, war on terror flick! Those are ONLY my wishes, however. And like my dad always said, "wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which one fills up first".

I was never against change, as I would have been ultimately conflicting my own wishes. I just never wanted the changes that were made.

I will watch the movie. I will try and enjoy it for what it is. I'm just disappointed with the direction of the film. Thanks Sommers!

ShockVal
02-28-2009, 02:03 AM
"I will watch the movie. I will try and enjoy it for what it is. I'm just disappointed with the direction of the film. Thanks Sommers!"

Not me. Just happy that they came out with something. Movie, Video Game, New Toy Line, and even a Snake Fries. This can all only mean one thing - Increased interest and new fans. I'm digging it all.

SnakeEyes
02-28-2009, 02:19 AM
It will only mean increased interest if people are truly interested! If the kids and fans don't buy into it, it could have the opposite effect. Don't get me wrong! I don't have a crystal ball so I can't say that will be the case. I just know how me and my son feel about it and we BOTH think it's kinda cheesy. Just my opinion!!

Shin-Gouki
02-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Sadly for Hasbro and Paramount my kids feel the same way, and the reaction to the trailer at the Super Bowl was Meh at best by everyone in the room young and old alike.

samantha
02-28-2009, 02:47 AM
Hama Hama Hama Hama Hama Hama Hama Hama

Have you accepted Hama into your Life?

I listen to the Hama and so believe. Oh great Hama, I do your. Oh my what the frak am I saying. GI Joe is all about silly yet somehow believable dribble. That is why I loved it so. Who could ever be upset with a story that entailed no one actually dieing? Yo Hama :)

A.C.T.
02-28-2009, 03:11 AM
I just don't like the power suits. I feel that the people responsible for the transation stage of this property, knew the film had to make money first, before it could make sense. G.I.Joe as a mythology, has a few scripts scattered throughout its history in all its mediums. Of course with some adjustments. But this movie is almost a whole new monster.
The suits just don't do it for me. Even if it were some futuristic movie about intergalactic marines starring Mark Walberg. I'd wait for the DVD. Now strap that kind of luggage on something like G.I.Joe versus Cobra; a ruthless (Bleep!) organization determend to rule the world. Thats just bad for business in my book, but then again, I don't have to think in terms of demographics.
I feel what alot of people are saying about this movie, on and off this site. Which I really consider worthy reading. I respect the Tank and all its members, so this is in know way shape or form a way to sh!!t on anybodies optimistic views. I'm diggin' it. I share some myself. And truthfully, I'm still buzzing off shock there making G.I.Joe into a movie, so I'm happy pretty much no matter what they do. I'm just glad there doing it. I hope it succeeds, and if it don't, I hope it gets remade the way it was intended to be. With some adjustnents of course. Yo Joe!

Fierce Krypton
02-28-2009, 03:21 AM

O lord a lawld for forever. second best post of the week.

darkshadow
02-28-2009, 09:53 AM
the new suits look nice,maybe not in the realm of GI Joe but for a futuristic setting,its perfect.

Sunbow_Joe84
02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
how's this for some logic. some ppl say the suits suck because everyone basically looks the same. take a look at the original 13. green bodies and different heads.

Headman
02-28-2009, 10:19 AM
how's this for some logic. some ppl say the suits suck because everyone basically looks the same. take a look at the original 13. green bodies and different heads.

And I talk crap on the "Generic green guys" all the time.

Sunbow_Joe84
02-28-2009, 10:22 AM
And I talk crap on the "Generic green guys" all the time.

granted, but that's how our beloved arah started.

Headman
02-28-2009, 10:28 AM

Early episodes of the Simpsons were poorly drawn and not that funny. Despite it's weak beginning I still like the Simpsons and would hate to see a live action movie featuring Marlon Wayans in tight body armor as Bart.

BadWolf
02-28-2009, 10:31 AM
All that stuff I can believe, but Power suits????

I am giving my life to Hama now!
Now excuse me, I'm going to get drunk on the sacramental 25th line coolaid and plan my pilgramage to Joe Con!

Sunbow_Joe84
02-28-2009, 10:31 AM
poor marlon, no love for you. I'll still buy your figure.

speedocub
02-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm speachless

minstrelboy
02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I accept that Joe is pure fantasy, and all of the points made by the origin post are true. And I have nothing against the idea of the accelerator suits. What I do have against them is that they make the Joe franchise look like Halo, and that ain't what it's about, kids. It's supposed to be about keeping Joe's own identity and at least honoring the ARAH roots (which, in turn, honored the original 12" line), while adding something new and original to the mythos. Quite frankly, suits that enhance a person's strength and agility are not new (Iron Man?), and not impressive. At least not to me. It makes it seem a little too Battle Force 2000, if you know what I mean - and no, that's not a rip on BF2K, so let's not take it as such.

Man, when I make my own GI Joe movie, it's gonna be so much better...

barbecue
02-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Having the accelerator suits for the joes to augment their fighting skills in the movie is a subtle way to say to the kids that using drugs is o.k. I tell you what.

Barefoot Jedi
02-28-2009, 05:19 PM
THE HYMN OF THE CHURCH OF HAMA

There's a darkness in my eyes
Every day
GIJOE is turned to shit and flushed away

I'm a fan
With strong convictions
I'm a fan
Who doesn't know
How to take
An adaptation
Not GIJOE, not GIJOE-oh

Hama Hama Hama Hama
Hama Chameleon
Yo GIJOE
Yo GIJOE-ooh-oh-oh
Movie would be better
If its content was more like you
Red, white and blue
Red, white and blue, ooh-ooh-ooooooh

Mern-Ra
02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Loved your list! Haven't read the whole thread but don't forget about jet packs and the way Cobra Commander 're-created' his own versions of world leaders in "Countdown To Zartan" by creating tubes that filled with air and muck and 5 seconds later a 'human' walked out of it.

Headman
02-28-2009, 08:32 PM
and the way Cobra Commander 're-created' his own versions of world leaders in "Countdown To Zartan" by creating tubes that filled with air and muck and 5 seconds later a 'human' walked out of it.

That really happens. Hasbro did the same thing with Larry Hama to sell the movie to the fanboys.

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 08:33 PM
That really happens. Hasbro did the same thing with Larry Hama to sell the movie to the fanboys.

You blaspheme!

Headman
02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
You blaspheme!

You Hamanites are worshipping a false Hama.

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 08:40 PM
You Hamanites are worshipping a false Hama.

I declare a Jihad on you! Jihad!

Headman
02-28-2009, 08:44 PM
i declare a jihad on you! Jihad!

lollerskates!

bigdaddyblue73
02-28-2009, 08:45 PM
lollerskates!

Right now as we speak a Hamanite is at your door, wild bill repaints strapped to his chest....................

Barefoot Jedi
02-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Sound the battle cry to spark the Holy War!!!

HAMA-LALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!

GrapeSoda
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM

that's how ARAH started...the FIRST wave had HALF of the joes in green shirts (not counting the 4 cobra figures), and the only joes from that first wave that even "survived" were scarlet and snakes. by the second wave.....they hit the ground running and gave us the ARAH we've come to know and love(and have now been collecting in the 25th line).

this is a tired argument. because 6 figures were in green when ARAH started and they were only on shelves for six months before the next wave hit-when ARAH has been around for 26 years now. 6 months is only a blink in a lifetime....especially for a toy line!

GrapeSoda
02-28-2009, 11:12 PM
i agree that Joe and RAH is sci fi. that is why i loved it as a kid and why i still dig it as a "grown up" today.

i actually thought the scene in the trailer with the eifel tower was awesome and VERY cobra! i can live with power ranger suits. they would have worked better in a sequel, though. but, from what i understand, they were written in the script that was bought and transformed into the Joe movie.

i mean, shit, CC built a mechanical sea serpent to "eat" ships to steal their cargo! serpentor was made from mixing DNA! astro-viper was genetically altered! the 'Noks had a rock band that had hypnotic subliminal messages that brainwashed the nation's youth! sci-fi for the fucking win, baby! but....bad plot and unecessary character changes for the epic fail.

Firefly77
03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I agree with many of Grape Soda's points. One exception. 26 years is not the blink of an eye in a lifetime. We're lucky if its a quarter of a lifetime.

GrapeSoda
03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with many of Grape Soda's points. One exception. 26 years is not the blink of an eye in a lifetime. We're lucky if its a quarter of a lifetime.

i meant that 6 months is only a blink of an eye in 26 years :)

that's what i get for posting drunk....i'll re-write it to make sense :)

xhairs
03-01-2009, 04:44 PM

man i hear you on this with the suits . With the list given yes some is sci fi but they where in real uniforms and you could tell them apart. Like i said they started it out as fing S6 all over agin. why cant they just stick with what works. what we grew up on. and then chage it up a bit. not go from real life to sci fi in 2sec.

Derek2783
05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Futuristic? Great.

Putting all the Joes in generic Mech suits? That's not GI Joe anymore.

ntfrceshockwave
05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
We are all critics, unfortunately one group will always be left out. I'm just going to give this movie a chance because after all it is GI JOE.

ironknife
05-28-2009, 07:19 PM
i do not like the sci fi part of gi joe

Weezus
05-28-2009, 07:24 PM
anything but powersuits.

cobra-la would be more welcome.

gdztoyz
05-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Started this list in the Ripcord figure thread. Got me thinking about people complaining about the "super powers" of the suits. It's sci-fi, but so is ALOT of what is in G.I. Joe...So where and how exactly do accelerator suits not fit into G.I. Joe?

No! Valid points...Stop it, you're RAPING MY CHILDHOOD!!!

Seriously though, you nailed it, man. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions with this movie, but will agree GI Joe, even in the more-realistic comic series has ALWAYS dabbled in sci-fi, that's why I can't even make a "this'll suck because it's not realistic enough" argument. GI Joe always played fast and loose with realism.

That said, the suits just look bad to me. I guess it's because I was always used to Cobra having the wacked out technology, and the Joes a little more conventional. Y'know, relying on their skills and willpower to overcome all odds. With both sides with high tech armor, to me it just makes the Joes look a little less badass.

But I'm going to give it a try.

xhairs
05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Futuristic? Great.

Putting all the Joes in generic Mech suits? That's not GI Joe anymore.

whats there a show called exo squad that worked but not for joes.

Doctor Leo
05-28-2009, 07:43 PM
People say in Brazil: Soccer is the most important thing on the least important ones.
In more than 30 years a lot of things happened, a lot of stories were told, some were good some not so good.
The most important thing is what stays with you, the memories of every character or vehicle...
Some aspects in the movie are not so good but this will NEVER kill what we had and I hope this will not kill the future of this great new series of action figures and vehicles. Everytime I see something related to GI Joe I remember my father and this don't have price...
Sorry my english are a little rusty...

zuludelta
05-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Seriously though, you nailed it, man. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions with this movie, but will agree GI Joe, even in the more-realistic comic series has ALWAYS dabbled in sci-fi, that's why I can't even make a "this'll suck because it's not realistic enough" argument. GI Joe always played fast and loose with realism.

That said, the suits just look bad to me. I guess it's because I was always used to Cobra having the wacked out technology, and the Joes a little more conventional. Y'know, relying on their skills and willpower to overcome all odds. With both sides with high tech armor, to me it just makes the Joes look a little less badass.

But I'm going to give it a try.

Those are pretty much my ideas on the accelerator suits. I have no problem with the idea of the Joes using "powered suits" per se because, as many of you have already stated, it's really no more implausible and/or ridiculous than many of the elements in the comics and the cartoon (and compared to some of the stuff in the cartoon, the accelerator suit stuff is pretty grounded and tame).

My problem with the particular "powered suits" they're using in the film lie with their design, though. They just look very generic with the HALO/Gears of War-inspired aesthetic the designers seem to have gone for. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a better direction they could have taken the designs, but all I know is that what we've seen of the designs don't appeal hold much appeal for me. Hopefully that will change once I see them in action in teh film itself.

shlappyguy
05-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Oh snap, I almost typed this exact same thing in the other power suit thread going on right now. Synchronicity!

Zefram
05-28-2009, 08:14 PM
It doesn't matter how logical an argument you make. It's new and different, thus it sucks to the "real fans" who Hasbro should consult for every decision they make.

According to "real fans", there should be...

...no new characters, because they suck
...no new vehicles, because they suck
...no new uniforms, because they suck
...no new technologies, because they suck (especially if they're being used/experimental in real life)
...and most importanly, no new ideas, because they suck.

And if there are new ideas, they have to be exactly like the old ideas that "real fans" are comfortable with.

And if you think that (insert property here) needs to change in any way, shape, or form to reflect changes in technology, culture, or political landscape then you're obviously not a "real fan".

Thank you.

CrimsonGuard101
05-28-2009, 08:22 PM
All you have to do is watch how they rebooted Star Trek and you can get an idea of how far off the mark they did with representing this movie.....Sommers and Paramount (along with Hasbro for allowing it) plain sucked ass and thier attempt is a epic fallacy...

Lantern_Lad
05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
The idea of the accelerator suits doesn't bother me. The look of them does. Too Robocop vs. Halo looking.

CrimsonGuard101
05-28-2009, 09:02 PM
The figures have me confused now...was looking back over something that popped into my head...why is there 2 types of suits going on? Reactive armor and accelertor suit? or is it one in the same? I like the idea of reactive armor, but reactive armor these days is explosvive panels that explode on impact not sure how that would work on a human body...maybe if it was on a deep six dive suit?

PimpDaddySatan
05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm sorry, GI Joe was and still is IMO a kids cartoon. A cartoon based around the military. Did some of the cartoons, comics, and characters have sci-fi elements, yeah they did. But have you seen the previews for this latest movie? They tried to take cartoons, and make them live action, in doing so the point is to make the live action believable, which hasn't happened. The Robocop suits, in no certain reality would never accelerate anything. You'd do more accelerating in the nude. So its cheesy, hokey, and unbelievable, could have just made a feature length cartoon, and nobody would be bitching right now. Oh wait they did, and everyone has applauded it and would welcome more of it. If you desire to defend this movie, and go watch it, then enjoy, hope its all you thought it would be and more. As for me, I see nothing resembling the GI Joe that I care about.

Forgot:

- communicate/fight with ghosts

- be mute and still be part of an elite military unit

DPrime
05-28-2009, 11:17 PM
The suits are fine, as long as they're just one of many weapons/equipment the Joe team uses.

If they get too much screen time (ie: are more or less the Joes' "powers", like an Iron Man suit or something), then that'd be kind of lame, imo.

Rougarou
05-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Suits are fine with me, seems that the Joe team will be a very small elite group who will use technology to even out against Cobra. Anyways the Joes were originally supposed to be a shield type team. I personally hate the super ninja abilities over a suit that might be real one day.

Ako Roshi
05-29-2009, 06:34 AM
I think the accelerator suits would work fine in cartoon land, but not so much in a live action movie. Why? I don't know. The Eiffel Tower being eaten by nanites or whatever - OK. Ninjas wearing rubber armor and cargo pants - fine. And if there was a jet pack JUMP, I'd be all over that. But, accelerator suits? Sorry. I just can't go there.
Maybe there is some sort of "Uncanny Valley" at work here and the closer Hasbro/Paramount toes the "foreseeable future (my English teacher always hated this term)", the more fans are turned off.
Or maybe they are just not cool. Take your pick.

coola784
05-29-2009, 06:41 AM
i just dont like the suits, not really sure why i feel like they are a bit too iron man for me, like its just kind of lame, gijoe never had accelerator suits, they were just awesome on there own and had tons of vehicles, thats the difference if i had to make a point. the movie should of featured lots of vehicles in battle that are based off the cartoon. would of been alot cooler to me.

samantha
05-29-2009, 06:53 AM
I am not a fan of the suits but I may pick up one or two of them, if they have the characters I like in them.

Cobra-Ninja
01-25-2010, 07:37 PM
I liked the suits. A lot.

Think about it:

In ROC, we have vehicles that can fly and shoot bad hurty pulse things, weapons that can shoot Star Wars Force Push powers through a rifle, evil people who can create nanomites for all kinds of stuff including mind control, eat metal, and make dudes heads metal, silent ninjas, giant underground bases, and so on and so forth, but a suit that makes you run fast and shoot missles and bullets? OH GOD NO! WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!! MY CHILDHOOD IS BEING RAPED!! AHHH!!

I love the look of them and they also make great for customizing (from what I've seen on the customs forum). Plus, think about this, what did Cobra do with Duke's suit? B.A.T.S anyone? :)

Anyway, the suits were fine with me, and the way I look at it, they are just suits to aid the Joes in their fight against Cobra.

Troynos
01-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Holy Necro Post

Trooper13
01-25-2010, 07:43 PM
While I'm not the biggest fan of the suits, as long as they don't get overused I have no real issue with them other then I think they LOOK stupid. However, I'll take the suits over everyone turning into a ninja anyday.

Bravo Sierra
01-25-2010, 07:50 PM
It's a great list, and I dont mind the Delta 6 suits in the Joeverse, but I didn't like how they have been used yet. Giving them to Joes sucked, because it took away from the uniqueness of the character wearing it. Instead of seeing Duke in any real combat situations, we get him running all over Paris like a Superhero.
I do feel like they would be cool in the hands of Cobra. Since Duke gave them one in the first film, maybe we get "Battle-Armor Cobra Commander" in the second movie! Plus I did a custom just like that, and I wanna see in a movie! Also I want Duke to come back as a villain, like maybe some nanomites DID get in him! Another thread, another day!

goldendeedsofman
01-25-2010, 07:57 PM
While I'm not the biggest fan of the suits, as long as they don't get overused I have no real issue with them other then I think they LOOK stupid. However, I'll take the suits over everyone turning into a ninja anyday.

^very eloquently put. I don't like the Robo-cop feel to them. And I didn't care much for the sigma 6 years for which the whole "feel" of this movie is based. I would have preferred Mech suits, but I got my fix for them in Avatar. But I did enjoy the movie and can't wait to see what/who else is in the pipeline.

Headman
01-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Wow, this brings back memories of how antagonistic Troynos used to be.

SDawg
01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Well why dont they make a spin-off titled:
GI Joe: the battle of the accelerator suits
(now how lame is that)
lol

Trooper13
01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't know...I don't like Mechs either. I'd rather the Joes just be a top notch military unit, but things change and grow. No way around that.

Headman
01-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't mind sci-fi elements. I just think the suites look like crap, the scene they were used in looked like crap, and the actors who wore them acted like crap. Oh yeah, Larry Hama's brain has turned to crap, and he can kiss the part of me where crap comes out of. And no, not the mouth!

krooklyn
01-25-2010, 08:29 PM
LMFAO!!! This is great!!!! I need a Delta 6 Accelerator Suit so I don't have to drive and it would be easier to park. :)

VIPER109
01-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Started this list in the Ripcord figure thread. Got me thinking about people complaining about the "super powers" of the suits. It's sci-fi, but so is ALOT of what is in G.I. Joe.

As Larry Hama himself said in that interview GeneralJoe did that was posted today, he's always considered Joe to be sci-fi because "they have a laser trooper".

You do realize this is the same franchise that gave us:

-Battle Android Troopers

-Clones built from the DNA of long dead military leaders

-Giant Mech-like robot battlesuits that were used on the moon

-M.A.S.S. Device that can teleport people/equipment in large quantities anywhere in the world

-a weather controling device

- giant block boxes that when connected with a satellite in space could blanket the world in an anti-electronics pyramid

- an alternate universe where the Baroness and Steeler were lovers

- huge underground bases

-raised an island from the bottom of the ocean and didn't cause massive tidal waves and destruction worldwide and within hours became a legal country

-has nanotechs that can control people (first DDP limited series)

-has created human/animal hybrids (Valor vs Venom)

-a guy that can change color like a chameleon

-the Thunderclap vehicle

-a satellite that rained acid down on people (DDP)

-a remote station in the arctic that turned people into Yeti-like monsters (DDP)

-a vehicle that looks like a giant bouncing pogo stick (the Pogo Ball)

-AT-ST like walker vehicles (G.I. Joe #8)

-able to construct tanks in a small town in america and no one finds out (Springfield)

-the MCC vehicle

-guys able to carry and use huge missle launchers (Backblast, Heavy Duty, Scrap Iron, Metalhead, not even talking about the stuff that came with the Battlecorps line)

-SNAKE armor that can control the mind of anyone wearing it

-Robojoe and Mega Marines

-giant temple like fortresses that can sink into the ground

-man-made vines that when get wet go crazy and attack/grow/constrict anything in it's path

-mirrors that can redirect an energy beam back at it's source

Should I go on?

So where and how exactly do accelerator suits not fit into G.I. Joe?

Hey it all comes down to, people like what they like.

In your own words
I only collect what I like, simple as that.

I’m just busting your…………..

sparhawk
01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
I see G I Joe as like an elite military unit, where they all share a similar design but have extras that 'define' them, which RoC touched upon, but didn't really score with. The blue BDUs? shoulda been green, and hence 'off mission togs'. SNake-Eyes? Mute voluntarily? That gets yer carcass bounced out right quick. Plus, the molded muscle suit didn't work onscreen, for me. He , imho, should have resembled his V1 outfit with a hardcore mix of ninja ass kickery thrown in for flavor. Just my 2 cents.

sharky
01-25-2010, 09:17 PM
If you don't eat your meat, how can you have any pudding? How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

I don't like the accelerator suits because I think they look stupid with that clear face plate on the helmet. It looks like a rejected Robocop concept.

cobralalalala!
01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Actually, alot of this stuff either exists or is just around the corner, as in working prototypes already do exist, although they haven't been perfected.

-Battle Android Troopers

Working prototypes currently in testing, tough they are not bipedal.

Our government has ground based lasers that can punch a whole in a 747, and aircraft mounted lasers that can fry a target from high altitude.

- huge underground bases

These have been around since the early 80's

There are drugs that can do this.

On the way.

Also on the way, working prototypes exist.

Nikola Tesla did this 60 years ago. When he activated his Tesla coil for the first time, a hardware store 30 miles away reported that every light bulb on the shelves lit up inside the box.

He also built a machine that uses kinetic energy to amplify vibrations. This device caused a 2.0 earthquake in the midwest. The U.S. Government shut him down and snatched up all of his patents when he died.

These do exist, but they are tiny.

Intelligence analysts can do this.

Something similar does exist, but for obvious reasons, it's not used in combat.

Brainwave scanners do exist, but they are used to mentally control robotic prosthetic limbs.

-able to construct tanks in a small town in America and no one finds out (Springfield)

This goes back to secret underground bases.

On the way.

The C.I.A. performed successful experiments with this back in the 60's

Well, not office buildings, but it has been done.

Also, the Japanese have working prototypes of exosuits that can augment strength. The Russians have bionic boots that work like pogo sticks, which allow a soldier to travel 15mph on foot.

Rasstis
01-25-2010, 10:28 PM
sci fi is fine. fantasy is fine. the suits is ok, its the presentation of them that kinda was lame-i-cuss. its like, here is g i joe, halo style. another gimmick like all the ohter joe trends that suck mostly but we all eventauly accept...like a disease. I dug that gijoe is a american force made up of all types of americans using the most advanced military equipment avaible to battle a bunch of "magic" using techo freaks terrorists. but making the suits look like they where what make tthe joes kick ass (in the previews),that's kinda lame. but again gotta make that sale,and holo was the shizzle at the time. hmmm, funny how games kinda lead the trends more than flicks these days...vice city bringing back the 80's ring a bell? in short, the suits and the entire feel of the roc line seemed to me to be lackluster. i like my joes with enough diference between them than the same coat of paint put on backwards and (maybe) a different head. also helps to be able to tell who is the bad guy, unless we are returing to spytroops. and don't get me started on the prices...sheesh! but all this given they do look sweet in thier own rights, but not as sweet as the original type look. eh, but its like jhearing a song with multiple versions i guess. the first to the ear sounds all clear. COBRA!

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
01-25-2010, 10:51 PM

I'd like to point out not only did he live...he was cured by big leaves soaking up the radiation, provided by a blind man living alone hunting in the woods with a stun gun!

Also in the realm of Sci-Fi and or silly
-A dentist turned insane biological genius by experimenting on himself to relieve patient dental pain.
-Fruit the size of buildings
-An bioorganic cell like the size of a city
-An accountant turned villian
-A drug dealer wearing an ACTUAL mask and pimp suit.
-At variety of lightweight one man air vehicles that I'm pretty sure are impossible...CLAW, Trouble Bubble, JUMP Packs, the Resolute jet packs, the Cobra Flight Jet Pack.

Really we could add to that list all day.

I thought I'd hate the Acellorator suits, which for me at least they weren't as horrible as they looked, and thankfully on screen for a short time.

I can live with them.

Bravo Sierra
01-25-2010, 11:10 PM
I'd like to point out not only did he live...he was cured by big leaves soaking up the radiation, provided by a blind man living alone hunting in the woods with a stun gun!

Snake Eye's file card says he has training in "holistic medicine" so......