PDA

View Full Version : G.i. Joe pilots?

IronMan76
01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Has anyone figured out who the second name on the 1983 Sky Striker is; Or the Dragonfly; or the original Skyhawk?

1. We all know "Captain Armbruster" is ACE, but has anyone ever figured out who "Lt. Wayne Ruthel" is? We see ACE' real name stickered on the side of the Cockpit, but I've never figured out who his back seeter might be...

2. Similarly we know that "Lt. W. S. Hardy" is Wild bill but does anyone know who "MSGT. WC Culbert" is supposed to be? You might think its Airborne, but his name is "Franklin E. Talltree".

3. Finaly on the original Skyhawk we see the name "Lt. Frederick Bama" But I've never seen any Joe with these names?!?!?
Did Larry Hama make these names?
Were they Joes who never got made (like Shooter, Coolbreeze, Sparks, and Colonel Sharpe)?

I would love to ask Mr. Hama about those names/characters...

I also think that Ace being in the Air Force is a mistake they just went with. Because:
1. His plane is a Navy bird.
2. And a pilot with his skill and history on multiple aircraft; would probably be a O-6 Captain in the NAVY commanding a whole air wing. Not a O-3 Captain in the Air Force who would probably only be a squadron leader.

I've tried to figure this out for years... Are there any Tankers out there who can shed some light on this mystery?

Loyal JOE fan since 1982

Tanksmasher
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
These are good questions and I've wondered about this before. I also believe someone asked these questions on another thread but don't remember the answers. I think they are based on some real people that Hama or others knew. But not certain.

Troynos
01-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Good questions. I never even thought about it.

If I had to say, I'd say they were homages to different people.

Alot of the Joe file names came from Hasbro employees (writers, designers and artists), fan club members, famous people, etc..

So I'd say those names are the same thing.

goosetuber
01-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Good questions. I never even thought about it.

If I had to say, I'd say they were homages to different people.

Alot of the Joe file names came from Hasbro employees (writers, designers and artists), fan club members, famous people, etc..

So I'd say those names are the same thing.

I've heard that before, but I just have to wonder who the lucky guy named Tormud Skoog is? (tripwire)

Troynos
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I've heard that before, but I just have to wonder who the lucky guy named Tormud Skoog is? (tripwire)

Probably the letters got rearranged.

Like how Dusyt's Tadur is based on a Hasbro employee named Rudat.

Ixz72
01-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Has anyone figured out who the second name on the 1983 Sky Striker is; Or the Dragonfly; or the original Skyhawk?
1. We all know "Captain Armbruster" is ACE, but has anyone ever figured out who "Lt. Wayne Ruthel" is? We see ACE' real name stickered on the side of the Cockpit, but I've never figured out who his back seeter might be...
2. Similarly we know that "Lt. W. S. Hardy" is Wild bill but does anyone know who "MSGT. WC Culbert" is supposed to be? You might think its Airborne, but his name is "Franklin E. Talltree"

I posted that exact same question about a month ago. On the boxes of both the Sky Striker and the Dragonfly it showed Airborne in the back seat. I never did figure it out.

Skyhawk
01-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I have never thought of that before...

I just looked at my Sky Hawk and it has Lt. Frederick Bama...

I also looked at my Storm Eagle, Sky Patrol Sky Hawk, and my Locust. They dont have any names. My X-30 doesn't ether...

kneroh
01-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Just googled the name... nothing besides Joe fans asking who he is. If I had to guess he was a hasbro employee at the time. They did this a lot with the figures and their hometowns.

daremo
01-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Troynos has the right idea. Wayne Luther was a Habro employee (http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-real-american-hero-modern-toys/5223-25th-anniversary-compatible-23.html#post127731).