PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe Comic License Who Will Own The Right To Fight For Freedom In 2008?

DESTRO
12-21-2007, 06:42 PM
With all the new found hype behind the G.I. Joe Brand in the next few years including the new G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary Line, Comic Packs, Movie and Toy Line in 2009. It would seem Hasbro is going to have their hands full with choosing to continue Devils Due Publishings current License or going with a new Company like Marvel or Fun Publications.

HissTank.com has set up a new poll to see who the current Fan Favorite is for landing the G.I. Joe Comic License in 2008!

To Discuss this Topic Click the Title Bar.

DESTRO
12-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I would love to see Devils Due Publishings keep the License. They have done such a great job this last year I would live to see how they would handle the Movie Title.

Thats all I have to say!

sharke
12-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Go back to the House of Ideas!

Irid70
12-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Devil's Due brought the title back from the dead when nobody else wanted to touch it. They've done awesome things with it, introduced new characters, and the fact that some decisions stirred controversy is a GOOD thing. They deserve the chance to keep the license and their lines going as long as they want.

fastballspecial
12-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Marvel totally would drop the ball with GIJOE. It'll be good for six issues until they let it slip under the current because they need to turn the Hulk purple in order to get people interested in their stuff again.

I read comics regularly and I see what Marvel does... hell... I run a damn comic shop in Michigan. All they care about is their summer events and crossovers.

Devil's Due has a good system... and it sells fairly well too.

tkprime
12-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Marvel (Sunbow Animation was owned by marvel, so our beloved ARAH line's roots run deep with Mighty Marvel). Marvel is ran differently than it was years ago though, so it becomes a question of who's willing to pump lifeblood into the Comic series, Does marvel have what it takes?....Maybe, They certainly have the talent. Devil's Due has really done great things, but the only drawback is avalibility. I like News stnds, and Marvel is everywhere, Plus they have a great history with G.I.Joe This is a stumper! (If marvel still has Sunbow Animation they could give us a wonderful new animated series, that should count for something, I mean look at the Avengers Animated movie, the Animation Quality is Fantastic, If that's a factor, than make mine MARVEL!

chopsooie
12-21-2007, 07:18 PM
DDP has been doing a great job with GI Joe.

the_loud_master
12-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Maybe they (DDP) can distribute through Marvel.

j_t_d
12-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Mike O' and all the guys at Devil's Due have done such a FANTASTIC job with G.I.Joe. They currently are churning out one of the best G.I.Joe stories to hit comics ever, with the World War III storyline. Gijoe: America's Elite is now on the top of my comic buying list because of this great story.

And Mike Bear's artwork is incredibly good. He's going to go down amongst Golden and Zeck as one of the best 'Joe comic artists.

Hasbro really would be foolish to move from DD.

-Peter

General Hawk
12-21-2007, 09:20 PM
1 year ago I would have immediately said "Anyone BUT DDP" but Mike O'Sullivan, Mark Powers, and Mike Bear have done such incredible things with the title over the past 12 months, that I'd just love to see them continue along doing what they're doing.

Justin

Shin Densetsu
12-21-2007, 09:58 PM
DDP. It took a few years for them to heat up, but this year they've done many things right. O'Sullivan is the best recent writer to the franchise. I'd love for DDp to keep the license, hell they even got Hama to write Storm Shadow. IDW would treat it well but it would probably be a new start, new continuity. Marvel would probably retcon everything with some deal with Mephisto and NO ONE is a fan of that. No "Brand new day" for Gijoe, please.

Let us not forget fellas, it was Marvel's decision to can the original gijoe comic in the mid-90's before Hama could wrap up the Cobra brainwashing storyline(and we all know how many years thats taken to resolve).

jshortultimate
12-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I agree that DD should keep the license. I havent really had a problem with anything that they've put out, and have been enjoying WWIII.

SHIPWRECK"N"POLLY
12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
I vote for marvel

Beyerstein
12-22-2007, 02:23 AM
I hope Marvel gets it back.

The new issue that just came out was a whopping $5.50 and it was really just six extra story pages and then all character profiles. kind of a ripoff

DDP just isn't big enough. There can be more potential elsewhere

Yodajoe
12-22-2007, 04:54 AM
You know, I just signed up specifically because of this poll. As a longtime fan of the Joe property, and seeing how companies have treated it, my vote goes to Devil's Due. I agree with the comments of others who have commented on how Devil's Due has handled the license. I believe most people who want Marvel, are waxing nostalgic about the good old days, and not seeing the reality of today's Marvel. Devil's Due has had the patience to make the title what it is, and I doubt Marvel would have stuck around this long with the title....just my two cents.

G.I. Smurf
12-22-2007, 05:05 AM
i voted for marvel, but that doesnt mean i do not like DD. i have liked DD from the start. i thought it lost something when they downsized the roster again, but now its back up.

tkprime has a great point too. if it would help get some new cartoons then i would go with marvel for no other reason. marvel did, and can still do great things with G.I. joe, as long as they don't start the damn stupid snake eyes killing everything again.

Gulfster
12-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Keep the license with DD !!!!! They do an AWESOME JOB!!!!!!

SHIPWRECK"N"POLLY
12-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Although i voted for marvel, i love what dd is doing. THat being said I do think the art for the book could be vastly improved. My favorite joe comic artist of all time is Andrew Wildman. He made the original ninja force saga really sparkle. IF you havnt seen those issures you should really check them out expecially the cover with Destro and The Baroness on it.

Monkeywrench
12-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I voted for Marvel

Shin Densetsu
12-22-2007, 03:07 PM
i voted for marvel, but that doesnt mean i do not like DD. i have liked DD from the start. i thought it lost something when they downsized the roster again, but now its back up.

tkprime has a great point too. if it would help get some new cartoons then i would go with marvel for no other reason. marvel did, and can still do great things with G.I. joe, as long as they don't start the damn stupid snake eyes killing everything again.
Actually you should be more worried about Joe Quesada, than Snake Eyes.

Effects of Silence
12-22-2007, 04:07 PM
I voted DDP. I love their run on GIJoe. The only problem that I have is that DDP is a small company and my comic-book stores don't stock on anything other than MARVEL and DC. I used to read a lot of comics, but now I only read Cable & Deadpool and occasionally some Wolverine and IronMan. I have all of the Dreamwave Transformer comics and some of the GIJoe TPBs, but right after DW bit the dust all of my local comic shops stopped ordering from 'indie' comic retailers. We don't even get IDW down here anymore. The only reason I think that MARVEL might be better off with the license is because they would actually get the merchandise out to the masses and back on the streets in the hands of kids and teenagers like comics should be. Of course everybody's probably right in the sense that the stories would go down the tube and we'd be stuck with a bunch of crossover nonsense.

Now that I think about it Deadpool WOULD make an awesome new member to the Joe/Cobra ranks....hmm....Can I change my vote to MARVEL >=)

stewbacca
12-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Since changing to DD I think that they breathed new life into the property-- with the death of lady jaye and others-no ones safe and it actually adds some suspense to the comic and it made the stories an interesting read.. Although marvel killed off a bunch of guys in one shot-- they really didnt have much implications for the rest of the storyline..not so look how that event changed the whole characterization of Flint

I believe DD did the research they needed-- sneaking in subtle characters from the old marvel issues and pretty much everyone we wanted from the old days-- even aging some of the guys into the normal life-- beer bellies exisit in the DD version--- you would never see that in a marvel comic..

I also dont want to go back to the snake eyes is the supreme Jedi ninja who can kill a whole armies by himself and there are no reprecussions-- the current storylines have a more real world feel to them with enough fantasy thrown in to make the stories plausible but enjoyable enough to priovide that bit of escapism..

I loved my Marvel issues, and I am rereading my complete run now -and its amazing how a lot of their storylines are addressed by DD-- Marvel had their chance and gave up on it-- leave it with Devils Due. (although I wouldnt mind seeing Marvel's Price Structure)

JoeyFNK
12-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I voted for DDP simply because they actually care about the COMIC BOOK part of GI Joe. If it went to Marvel (which I would put squarely in the Zero Chance File) it would die within a year because they wouldn't use the license to its fullest. Marvel isn't making all their money on comics anymore, they are making their money in movies and merchandise. If they can't get a cut of that, they aren't very interested in the property, with very few exceptions, and unless one of their "WIZARD Magazine Overrates Us All The Time Club" writers wants to write GI Joe, it won't ever be published there. And if one of them did want it, the book would come out late all the time until they lose interest in it and the license would go dead once again. So leave it where it is being used, and being used well.

havok15
12-26-2007, 07:04 PM
DDP has been doin great with the gi joe line!! i'd love it for them to keep the license and tell some new stories..

S-Rank Ninja
01-01-2008, 05:55 AM
I voted Marvel because I would kill to see some of their current crop of writers on a G.I. Joe book. Brubaker or Matt Faction or Jason Aaron, can you imagine any of those guys on a Joe book? It would be fantastic! There are so many A List writers that are working at Marvel in '08 that would be a perfect fit for G.I. Joe and lets be honest Marvel has been doing a great job with the handling of third party titles. I mean Halo and The Gunslinger were both fantastic.

Crimson Rage
04-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I think DDP have done a fine job in keeping the brand alive, giving us an intruiging mix of stories & concepts (yep, even the Joe Casey run) and if there's any justice in the world they'll carry on their good work.

Sadly, justice seems to be in short supply in this instance and I'm dreading IDW getting the licence. Their Transformers & Star Trek titles I sampled were pure turgid trash in my opinion.

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
04-05-2008, 09:01 PM
My guess is IDW iwll get it, based on recent trends. I hope either Marvel or DD get it, as they both have fantastic histories with the license.

I voted Marvel because Marvel, being a bigger company, would be able to do more with it; more titles, big name writers and artists, etc. But I'd be fine with DD getting to continue.

Effects of Silence
04-05-2008, 09:14 PM
IDW completely ruined Transformers comics to me. I bought the Megatron Origins TPB about a week ago and read it. I thought that it was mediocre at best which is a lot better than what I can say for that first story arch (Infiltration?). I quit reading after I got sick of the dismal artwork and annoying kids. Why can't Don do the artwork for all Transformers merchandise?!?! Between DW going down the crapper and Michael Bay completely reeming the genre I've migrated towards collecting a LOT more GIJoes than Transformers.

But yeah. IDW will definately get it unless sales for Transformers comics has dipped too low which I think is unlikely considering the momentum from the movie.

Omegawrath
04-05-2008, 10:12 PM
IDW has put out the best and most consistent quality on TF's ever.

DDP took too many liberties with the chaacters and put out a bunch of mediocre to poor stories.

I know that at first glance it's easier to appreciate what's already been seen, but the truth is, I could care less which company gets the license, as long as I don't have to read amateurish, collossal storylines full of lame dialogue about superfluous characters that go nowhere.

I dunno whether "psh!" or "bra" offends me more.

Zartan and Destro were cured of their afflictions within a few months and Hawk still can't walk. It didn't advance or improve his chaacter. It just pushed him aside.

Boo.

Hama for Joe. 'Nuff said.

Phil Kost
04-06-2008, 07:17 PM
IDW.

While I would love for DDP to keep it, the decision has already been made. Now all we have to do is wait for the official announcement, which I anticipate after issue #36 comes out. (Or it could be at the Joe Con which is the same month)

Oh...and expect a reboot...call it hunch.

arashikage ninja
04-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Devil's Due brought the title back from the dead when nobody else wanted to touch it. They've done awesome things with it, introduced new characters, and the fact that some decisions stirred controversy is a GOOD thing. They deserve the chance to keep the license and their lines going as long as they want.

The art work is awesome in these as well. Devil's Due has my vote.

lkoldstone
04-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Devil's Due HAS done a good job, but Marvel is where it originated. I'd like to see it go back there, but either's fine to me.

JamesxOnly
05-24-2008, 01:58 PM
While DDP did a good job with bringing back Gi Joe. Didn't they just end their series?

Golobulous
05-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know when the launch of the new comic book through idw will begin, i am hungry for a new series