PDA

View Full Version : Did GI.Joe kids join the Military? Did Erector set kids become architects?

delta
12-15-2008, 03:33 PM
So what did you turn out to be?
When I was a kid growing up playing w/ joes I was certian I would grow up to be in the Military. This did not happen. However I see that many of you on here did join the military. Did playing with Joes as a kid influence you to Join the Military in adulthood?

That leads me to my next question.
Did kids who played with Erector sets or Leggo's become architects?

Did kids who played with Mad Labs become sicentist?

Did Kids who played with Tonka Trucks become Construction workers?

Did Cabage Patch Kids make people adopt a child as an adult?

You see where I'm going with this. It would be cool if someone did a study.

Darth Jay
12-15-2008, 03:36 PM
I so thought it was going to say "did erector set kids become erect" and I only clicked to find out... let down. :(

DarthBrett
12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Well I had Legos, Tonka Trucks and Joes as a kid and I had no desire to be a building engineer, a truck driver or to join the military. Honestly, I don't think my toys as a kid had any influence in what I wanted to do as an adult.

BadWolf
12-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I became a truck driver. :P
I don't see the connection to GI Joe though.

ARBCOToys
12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I played with Joes and Cobras and I didn't ever want to join the military. However, I DO want to take over the world with various madcap and nefarious plots.

butter_the_pure
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I remember my dad telling me when I was young that some fool was going on to him "if he collects G.I.Joe as a child he has a huge chance of joining the military as an adult."
The army don't want me and I don't want them. But I still like G.I.Joe.
I am an artist.

However, I DO want to take over the world with various madcap and nefarious plots.

hell yeah!

Syn3sthesia
12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
I joined the Marines on my own. The love of Joes had nothing to do with it.

delta
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I so thought it was going to say "did erector set kids become erect" and I only clicked to find out... let down. :( Haha!

I remember my dad telling me when I was young that some fool was going on to him "if he collects G.I.Joe as a child he has a huge chance of joining the military as an adult."
The army don't want me and I don't want them. But I still like G.I.Joe.
I am an artist.

I became an artist as well after I discovered I was too skinny to do anything with My body. I sucked at sports and the only thing I seemed to improve at was art (Alabama is not the best place to be an artist by the way).

Mech-Viper
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I joined the Army and became a tanker , dont know how much GI Joe had a part in it , but Steeler and his Tanker were a favorite of mine and still are

lister
12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I played with He-Man toys and, take it from me, if you think you can make a living wearing a furry loin cloth and swinging a battle-axe you are sadly, sadly mistaken.

Zoltron
12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
I wanted to join the military for awhile as a pilot, but then I became a performer.

It makes no sense.

jaxscorpio
12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
My favorite figure has always been the Crimson Guard. Perhaps that explains why I became an accountant.

Smokebomb
12-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I did.

jlaing2607
12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
My mom was in the Army when I was a kid. I attempted to join the Army. I was in JROTC and college ROTC. My bad eyesight kept me out of being an officer in the Army.

Cobra Fox
12-15-2008, 05:46 PM
I always wanted to be a dictator but after watching Saddam's ordeal, I backed out and decides to be a part time 25th joe collector.

GI abe444
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Playing with my G.I.Joes made me become one , so yeah it influenced me alright. Glad it did too !

Gunzlingr
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I tried, but my health nixed that idea.

My uncle told me the other day that he became an engineer because of his lincoln logs, tinker toys, and erector sets that he had as a kid.

Hawk 7222
12-15-2008, 05:53 PM
I joined the Marine Corps in 1991. I served 6 years and rec'd an Honorable Discharge. I think G.I. Joe fueled my already blow em up and bomb em attitude:). I would draw planes and tanks all through elementary school. My teachers, classmates, friends and family had no doubt I would serve.

I actually worked on the real life MMS (Hawk Missile Battery).
Hawk 7222 Missile Pics (http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/hawk-7222-albums-hawk-mms.html)

Hawk Missile in action (http://www.wsmr-history.org/HawkAction4.htm)

cliff secord
12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
I always bought and rooted for Cobra, But it was more their get-ups and vehicles than anything else... no terrorist pyramid scheme ideas or world domination attempts ever swam in the back of my head...This is like asking if video games make kids more violent than usual, which some could say do, though.

skatezaz
12-15-2008, 06:19 PM
well i had ninja turtles when i was a kid, and i am now a full fledged sewer dwelling, karate kicking, pizza eating, mutant turtle. so maybe it is true, you are what you play with. nah im just kidding im just a regular guy. but i do skate still

Badgumbo
12-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I wanted to be a pilot when I played with Joes. Later I wanted to become an architect....then I saw a movie called Silence of the Lambs which had a profound impact on me.

Ultimately, I became an investigator and worked in law enforcement for the better part of 10 years. I also did a little contract work for Uncle Sam which was foolish but paid well.

Now, I am running a small but growing management company and rule over my employees like as if I were leader of Cobra. :D

Funny how I never learned to fly, but I did jump out of many an aircraft.

minitrue
12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Weird. I never felt the slightest urge to join the military, even though I only played with war toys.

Even when I was little, I was mostly just interested in the joe comic characters and their interactions, the fact that it was specifically a military setting that these stories took place in was incidental to me.

skatezaz
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
A LOT of parents nowadays wont let the children play with war toys...nowadays I want to join some branch of the military. when i was a kid though it was more racecar driver and astronaut

COL Abernathy
12-15-2008, 08:09 PM
My favorite toys by far were joes, and I always figured if I ever joined the service it would be the air force or the navy because they had the best toys.

Now i'm 9 years deep into an army career and would never consider the air force or (gasp) the navy.

gi49er
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
My favorite toys by far were joes, and I always figured if I ever joined the service it would be the air force or the navy because they had the best toys.

Now i'm 9 years deep into an army career and would never consider the air force or (gasp) the navy.

4 years AF Admin brother! :-)
It dont matter which branch of the service, the coolest thing is to get that paper that says you are outta boot and are now part of the big picture...course the air force blues are too blah when i look back on it..i knew i shuda gone USMC!

scarfacefan14
12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry to get off topic, but could anyone tell me how to post a thread? Thanks.

MakWiesel
12-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Well for me, I joined the Army, went Airborne AND Air Assault (Because we all know Airborne was really an Air Assaulr trooper) and now work with Dip Security for the State Department.

Did Joes influence this, or did my interests lead me to collect Joes.... I dunno for sure, but I was very VERY disappointed when I found out not all SPEC OPS personnel could: operate tanks, fly jets, fly helicopters, get captured and rescued weekly, and fall in love with scantily clad hot redheads with a penchance for kicking butt and dating soldiers...

We all followed our own paths, guys- Joes just gave us something we can have in common and share.

Outback 2094
12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Tanker USMC Reserve. Also did duty as "Provisional Military Police". Maybe Joe played a part, I'm really not sure. But the Dress Blues definitely work...

vtt1jam
12-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I joined the MARINES... I couldn't tell you if the toy line had an effect on this decision or not?

spazzy
12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
My dad was a Marine, my grandfather I think was a Marine but could have been Army. I joined the Marines.

Gung Ho in Dress Blues was one of my favorites as a kid.

Although I got out as quick as I could, it was a bunch of BS nowadays, and I am glad I am not in anymore.
I draw/and work for fedex part time (mainly as a way to get a regular check and health insurance)

1337W422102
12-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I never became a giant shape-shifting alien mechanoid...

COL Abernathy
12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
For all us military folk, ask the question in reverse:
How many of your Army (or insert your branch here) buddies played with joes as kids?
All my army buddies my age played with joes. One or two odd men out, but most everybody did.

tigpoppa
12-15-2008, 11:27 PM
great post thats a good question. I played with gi joes but i didnt go and join the military. I did enjoy playing with breadboards my dad brought home for us cause we didnt have much money though. Now I am finishing my second undergrad degree before med.

hooray for success and the american dream.

i still play with my gi joes today

CaptainDinobot
12-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I never became a giant shape-shifting alien mechanoid...

Or me a Mutant Turtle..

wardamnpjm
12-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Nope no influence what so ever.I did join the USMC though when I was 20,did my 4 years and said goodbye.I don't regret it,it made me a much more resposible man and taught me how to handle authority alot better. I only joined to get the gi-bill so I could get a second chance at college. I got two degree's my first time around 1 in drinking and 1 in sleeping.My parents said "we are not paying for college for you to party and fail,so get a job and pay for it yourself or join the military and let them pay". I tried the minimum wage deal and without a student loan,it wasn't going to pay for college.............so after some long thoughts about my future and life I gave the USMC a try,now I have 4 years service and a business degree from Auburn University.It changed my life and in a good way!!!! Joes had nothing to do with it.

Troynos
12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Did kids who played with Erector sets or Leggo's become architects?

Yes.

Architect.

Loved Lego's as a kid. Used to take 'em all into one big pile. Make up my own houses, towns, etc..

Would even use 'em to make forts for the Joes.

Lincoln Logs was the other one I used. Those made great Joe forts.

crock master
12-16-2008, 10:59 AM
i became an x-con

GI Jon
12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Loved the Skystriker growing up...joined the Air Force and flew planes for a while...yeah they were connected.