PDA

View Full Version : Tampered Packaging - Seen it?

number six
12-07-2008, 01:58 AM
Hey guys, long time reader but new to the forum!

While I've been collecting figures on and off for a few years, I haven't really spent as much time 'hunting' as I have over the last year trying to find these joes. In the last few months I've seen some interesting things.

First off, the stolen figure is pretty common..

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/1107081137.jpg

For example, Spirit in Spirit form, or

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/1114081541.jpg

The roadblock that somebody removed. That's all common. But check out something like this:

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/1106081225.jpg

At first I was perplexed that it was some sort of weird factory error but on closer inspection it was obvious somebody bought this, took it home and razor bladed the package and replaced the Grenediers with these old figures. While they were at it they helped themselves to everything that wasn't nailed down and returned it.

Here's another one:

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/1205081158.jpg

This one threw me for a loop at first. I had been looking for the new DVD packs forever so when I saw this I was at first fairly happy. Then I thought, 'wow, I don't recall any DVD set being this lame from the previews'. I checked to see which MASS device bit it came with and that's when i found out it was tampered (I only glanced at the front). Closer inspection made what's obvious apparent, somebody wanted the new figures but didn't want to spend the $19.98. Looks like they replaced Snake Eyes, CC and Major Bludd with the older versions and Quick Kick did a Quick Change into Wild Bill (now with karate kick action!) While they were at it they helped themselves to the Mass device bit and the power cube. What hosers!

Also a bit off-topic but today i saw a really crazy Star Wars mesh up. Somebody had taken the new Comic 2-pack with the Dark Empire Luke and the Clone Palpatine and replaced them with POTF figures (at least it was luke and palpatine though!). They also replaced the comic with the cover of an old star wars insider magazine folded up. It was really well done overall.. too bad my phone apparently lost the picture.

I'm just wondering how prevelent this is nationwide? I haven't seen this before in collecting but then again I haven't been scowering stores like this last year either. Also i'm wondering.. is it really worth all the time and effort to buy a toy, hack out the figure you want, replace it.. then return it.. all to save a few bucks? You gotta be really cheap and well lame to do something like this. It is interesting to see though, kinda like finding bootlegs at the dirt mall.

Melissa
12-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Dude that is so cold.... I'll tell my husband to stop this at once. I always wanted a Wild Quick Kick Bill figure.

Roger Smith
12-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Wow. I haven't seen anything like this yet, thank god. I can't believe how low people sink to save a few bucks on some figures.

theohiostateguy
12-07-2008, 02:05 AM
And they probably justify themselves by saying "it's not really stealing". Douche bags.

Reminds me of when you'd buy the two packs to find out the Doc token was stolen.

Synthoid69
12-07-2008, 02:24 AM
very interesting. I f*cking hate repackers

scifinut999
12-07-2008, 02:33 AM
i have seen this alot a common thing i see were i live is every coin from the star wars 30th line has been removed but the figure remains. i did see one time bulkhead removed from the packaged and replaced by a playschool blue dump truck this is from the transformers animated line also someone helped themselves to the comic book that comes with the 25th annaversery optimus prime

MHydra
12-07-2008, 02:33 AM
There's a special place in hell for repackers...where they can only find single carded Wild Bill, Jet Pack Dukes and Buzzers to switch out. Which actually sounds like my local Target now that I think of it...

HardBall83
12-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Wouldnt you think that Annihilator and Trakk viper would be worth more than the new Iron Grenadier? Thats just my 2 cents. (which are prolly worth less than that)

MSG Duke
12-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Damn, Wild Bill never did that in the cartoon!

Ok, in all seriousness, this crap is rediculous. In my Wal-Mart, there is a HISS repack where the black HISS was replaced with a Blue Target HISS and no figure at all. Been on the shelf for over two months now.

buddystalin
12-07-2008, 03:21 AM
I would have bought the hell out of that Lamprey repack.

But then, I like Lampreys.

(Please Hasbro make Lampreys)

DJ CRUSH
12-07-2008, 04:06 AM
I'd like to find the ones who do this and repack their internal organs with cement (and then make a profit by selling their organs on eBay!).

The Batman
12-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Good Grief Man! What planet do you live on with all those repacks and thefts?? I knew Miami FL had it's own problems but Tampa??? I have yet to see a re-pack in my area of Texas, but I have seen a half-attempted stolen Wave 4 Destro. That is some crazy repacking too. Now if Wild Bill came with that kick on single card.. he probably wouldn't be a peg warmer! That is just plain awful stuff right there. And way is Call of Duty behind that repack of the DVD packs?? I never ever saw anything Call of Duty in the toy section??

DarthBrett
12-07-2008, 04:20 AM
I see repacks almost every time I stroll by the Joe section (I see it at the local Targets and Wal-Marts, meaning it's the same diarrhea head doing it.......and yes, I said diarrhea head! :D).

Swoop
12-07-2008, 04:52 AM
There is no forgiving repackers. Although if that Annihilator and Nitro Viper were in the same pack instead of those Destros I would have considered buying it.

goblin
12-07-2008, 09:01 AM
its amazing how much of this i see in socal.its crazy they let them return crap like this...

Syn3sthesia
12-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I think in my area they don't believe in the repacking part. I guess is too much effort. They just take the figs out of the vehicles. Pretty sad.

dmizrok
12-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I see it ALL the time....and I mean ALL THE TIME....it seems like every single time I go hunting I see something along those lines...

Sgt. Kayfabe
12-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Losers!

Captain Carstein
12-07-2008, 09:57 AM
I guess I've bee pretty lucky in my area. I've seen this type of thing posted on the Tank all too often, but never once when I'm in a store.

mister-x
12-07-2008, 10:04 AM
REPACKERS SUCK!!!! the only example of that ive seen in indy was switching out leatherneck, with SRO ''pastel duke'' and finding just cards hanging on the pegs...if they steal, they take weapons and all here.......

number six
12-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Wouldnt you think that Annihilator and Trakk viper would be worth more than the new Iron Grenadier? Thats just my 2 cents. (which are prolly worth less than that)

That's the weird thing on some of these 'repacks' especially when their swapping in really old figures.. they might be sticking in figures of equal (or greater) value in some cases. It is however, still a dick move.

Just amazes me you can be that cheap. I mean, yeah OK having to pay $10 or $20 for a multi-pack when you really only want 1 figure sucks. But does it suck bad enough to do this??

number six
12-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Good Grief Man! What planet do you live on with all those repacks and thefts?? I knew Miami FL had it's own problems but Tampa??? I have yet to see a re-pack in my area of Texas, but I have seen a half-attempted stolen Wave 4 Destro. That is some crazy repacking too. Now if Wild Bill came with that kick on single card.. he probably wouldn't be a peg warmer! That is just plain awful stuff right there. And way is Call of Duty behind that repack of the DVD packs?? I never ever saw anything Call of Duty in the toy section??

I think there are Call of Duty figures, I could be wrong. I didn't pay attention.

But yeah, here's some interesting bits about all of this:

All the repacks were at Wal-Mart stores. The stolen/missing figures are usually at Target. Does this mean Wal-Mart has a more lax return policy, or that Target has crappier security? I don't know.

The 3 really intricate repacks were all at different Wal-Marts in a pretty wide radius of Tampa. That means either we got multiple people doing this, or one guy is covering a lot of ground. (I drive a lot for my work so I end up all over the place on a weekly basis otherwise there's no way i'd be in Wal-Marts 40 miles apart typically in the same week). I

Somebody did buy one of the Destro repacks (forget which one) but the other is still at the store and it's been over a month now. Somebody that wants a Techno Viper will pick it up eventually, or some mom will grab it randomly but it's obvious the collectors aren't interested which is probably most of the fanbase for this line. I just hope some poor schlub doesn't think this is some weird ultra-valuable factory glitch and buy it thinking they've got a $300 item on their hands. At first this one confused me because I was only into joes during the '82 to about '87 period so I didn't recognize those figures until a friend pointed out that they were joes. I thought they were just generic figures from those knock off lines. The tipper though was all the weapons were missing and the douche that did this used scotch tape to seal it back up instead of trying to match the original tape.

These HAVE to have been done by a collector - that's the sad part. No punk kid is going to have a decade old Joe or POTF figure lying around, plus this takes more thought that your average 8-year old theif would probably employ. So we got some cheap/dick collectors roaming around here, probably old enough to remember the old joes so that means somebody mid-late 20s / early 30s as well which makes the whole thing even more sad. You can't afford $9.98 dude?

number six
12-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I've got a friend who also collects, that's the reason i have pictures because I txt him anything weird. Although the DVD pack really pissed me off, we had a bit of a laugh over it later. I did eventually find the Quick Kick DVD set (still looking for Arise Serpentor!) but as a joke I said I was going to 'repack' it and take it back as this:

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/001.jpg

Of course it was only a joke.

(And I do wonder if anything was in the DVD case of that one DVD set, a repack of that could be scary!)

Shogi
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Figures I've seen repacked:

Breaker comic pack swapped for 1995 Han Solo
Joe 5 pack with Roadblock and Snake-Eyes swapped for their TRU RAH 2000 counterparts
Deep Six swapped for Fast Blast Viper

The Breaker one was Wal-Mart, the other two were at K-Mart

As for those repacks with Nitro-Viper (Orange Trak-Viper) and Annihilator, I'd be all over those in a heartbeat! Especially the Nitro-Viper. I think I paid about $10 for one with screwed up legs a couple of years ago just so I'd finally have him in my collection. To get him at a store along with a 25th Destro and comic? Bought in a flash! :)

Captain Carstein
12-07-2008, 10:34 AM
^^ Man! Wild Bill still gets sent back to the store!! No love for Wild Bill...poor Wild Bill hanging with all his peg warming bros. :)

Irid70
12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Besides the obvious theft, one thing that bothers me is how easy it'd be to stop this on the part of employees. No I am not blaming the 6 buck an hour lady/guy sitting at the customer service desk, but an alert toy dept. manager ought to be able to notice how often this happens and take some steps. Really I'd just like to see this crap stop and the people doing it prosecuted for shoplifting.

omgudied2
12-07-2008, 10:49 AM
There's a special place in hell for repackers...where they can only find single carded Wild Bill, Jet Pack Dukes and Buzzers to switch out. Which actually sounds like my local Target now that I think of it...

Hey u must live by me....

gdztoyz
12-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Repackers SUCK...I hope I can find one in the middle of returning their crap and expose them. I'd GLADLY do it. This is why I wish they had a "No Returns" policy on toys/collectibles, or at least hire someone in returns who knows what goes in what.

I make it a point to tell anyone in the Toy department about tampered toys. Every time I find one. It's a bit tedious, but hopefully they wise up and do something about it. I suggest all who find them do the same thing.

FlyingFigg
12-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Never came accross it in person. Would be really pissed if I did.

TinglingSensation
12-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Do you live in the Dallas area? Because there's thefts and repacks-a-plenty here. Mostly at Wal-Mart, now that I think about it. The thing that gets me is that I was given the third degree when I had to return one of the DVD packs to Target because my Lady Jaye had two left hands. First I had to convince the lady at the return desk that yes, she did indeed have two left hands. Then I had to explain to her why I didn't want one with two left hands. Then we had to go over that everything was still there, even though it was all taped down since I hadn't touched anything once I spotted the hands. And yet somehow people get away with blatant repacks...

Steinberg
12-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Never came accross it in person. Would be really pissed if I did.

Yea, it's kind of rare here, in nearly a year of hunting I've seen maybe three or four repacks; My turf being Brooklyn and Queens. Probably because we get stuff kind of late, so some of the ebay profit incentive is taken out of the equation. leaving only collectors who usually want the whole thing. It seams particularly bad in Texas and Socal which are early on the distribution curve.

CaptainDinobot
12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I saw this with Star Wars before, I couldn't believe the cashier fell for it, it was so bad of an attempt. The one Han Solo that was replacing Mace Windu was an old 80s one.

number six
12-07-2008, 11:57 AM
The thing that gets me is that I was given the third degree when I had to return one of the DVD packs to Target because my Lady Jaye had two left hands. First I had to convince the lady at the return desk that yes, she did indeed have two left hands. Then I had to explain to her why I didn't want one with two left hands. Then we had to go over that everything was still there, even though it was all taped down since I hadn't touched anything once I spotted the hands. And yet somehow people get away with blatant repacks...

It probably just depends on who is taking the returns. I remember once a friend of mine returned a DVD-R drive to Best Buy that he had used for weeks. He had lost the manual, used the free disc.. etc. It was in horrible condition, but they took it back no questions ask. You can then read about somebody trying to return something in pristine condition that has legitimate problems that gets the 3rd degree for it. Just depends on the clerk.

I'm just wondering if Wal-Marts policy is overall easier than Targets for this sort of thing, or if in my area our myster repacker just prefers the Wal-Mart experience, who knows. Maybe he likes to drink some of that Sams Dr. Thunder while he works?

DPrime
12-07-2008, 12:05 PM
You new guys should try and search the forums about this, there are tons of examples of this happening, unfortunately.

That pic with Wild Bill giving a flying sidekick was worth a new thread, though!

Captain Carstein
12-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Besides the obvious theft, one thing that bothers me is how easy it'd be to stop this on the part of employees. No I am not blaming the 6 buck an hour lady/guy sitting at the customer service desk, but an alert toy dept. manager ought to be able to notice how often this happens and take some steps. Really I'd just like to see this crap stop and the people doing it prosecuted for shoplifting.

Agreed. Even the part-timer assigned to the toy section. I've faced/zoned/straightened shelves before, and you can tell what sold, etc. from day to day. In the local Walmart and Targets I see the same people working the section everytime. I know from my past experience as a retail manager, something like this would stick out like a sore thumb when you see the aisles day to day.

Captain Carstein
12-07-2008, 12:10 PM
That pic with Wild Bill giving a flying sidekick was worth a new thread, though!

Personally, I think its a work of art! :)

COBRACOLLECTOR
12-07-2008, 12:14 PM
wow just that karatae Wild Bill alone makes that pack Worth buying. lol

sgt.bludhound
12-07-2008, 12:28 PM
wow, Retailers need to step there game up and know whats been re-packed! to whoever did/does this, Karma will catch up to you. and trust me its not gonna be worth it! its just toys and people stoop so low it's hilarious.

dmizrok
12-07-2008, 02:50 PM

worth more to who? Only to someone who goes gaga over OLD figures...i have a dozen or so ARAH Joes, but in NO WAY WHATSOEVER would i "rather" find one packed in w/a Firebat (which i saw)...fact is, unless you REALLY want old school figs,that vehicle pack will sit and collect dust on that shelf...since it seems like everytime i point out these "repacks" to customer service, they seem super surprised yet tw0 days later , its back on the shelf.

Zartanman
12-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, long time reader but new to the forum!

While I've been collecting figures on and off for a few years, I haven't really spent as much time 'hunting' as I have over the last year trying to find these joes. In the last few months I've seen some interesting things.

First off, the stolen figure is pretty common..

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/1107081137.jpg

For example, Spirit in Spirit form, or

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/1114081541.jpg

The roadblock that somebody removed. That's all common. But check out something like this:

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/1106081225.jpg

At first I was perplexed that it was some sort of weird factory error but on closer inspection it was obvious somebody bought this, took it home and razor bladed the package and replaced the Grenediers with these old figures. While they were at it they helped themselves to everything that wasn't nailed down and returned it.

Here's another one:

http://www.villagebbs.com/gfiles/misc/joes/1205081158.jpg

This one threw me for a loop at first. I had been looking for the new DVD packs forever so when I saw this I was at first fairly happy. Then I thought, 'wow, I don't recall any DVD set being this lame from the previews'. I checked to see which MASS device bit it came with and that's when i found out it was tampered (I only glanced at the front). Closer inspection made what's obvious apparent, somebody wanted the new figures but didn't want to spend the $19.98. Looks like they replaced Snake Eyes, CC and Major Bludd with the older versions and Quick Kick did a Quick Change into Wild Bill (now with karate kick action!) While they were at it they helped themselves to the Mass device bit and the power cube. What hosers!

Also a bit off-topic but today i saw a really crazy Star Wars mesh up. Somebody had taken the new Comic 2-pack with the Dark Empire Luke and the Clone Palpatine and replaced them with POTF figures (at least it was luke and palpatine though!). They also replaced the comic with the cover of an old star wars insider magazine folded up. It was really well done overall.. too bad my phone apparently lost the picture.

I'm just wondering how prevelent this is nationwide? I haven't seen this before in collecting but then again I haven't been scowering stores like this last year either. Also i'm wondering.. is it really worth all the time and effort to buy a toy, hack out the figure you want, replace it.. then return it.. all to save a few bucks? You gotta be really cheap and well lame to do something like this. It is interesting to see though, kinda like finding bootlegs at the dirt mall.

Are you in Tampa FL? I saw a DVD Pack exactly like the on in your picture LOL. Are they also conspiring to replace them with the same lame figures? That's too weird.

FirstOne
12-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I see more Joes just straight stolen in my area than repacked. At a TRU someone stole 10 Single cards and ripped the whole bubble off and left the cards behind, they also cut open 4 TRU 5-Packs windows with box cutters and took all the figures out!

pig iron grenadier
12-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I see it sometimes, usually they are just stolen out of the package. I've only seen 1 repack.

The funny thing I see all the time is the mystery cars ripped open of the Hot Wheels. I don't look for hot wheels unless they have a batmobile or something, but I'm talking endcaps and stuff.

The Batman
12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I think we are going to have a recarder here on the Tank. I just caught this thread and threw in my 2-cents. It would be hard to repack a single-carded figure.. but someone is trying to get some hints on how!

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs/26169-how-decard-recard-figures.html

Shogi
12-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I think we are going to have a recarder here on the Tank. I just caught this thread and threw in my 2-cents. It would be hard to repack a single-carded figure.. but someone is trying to get some hints on how!

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs/26169-how-decard-recard-figures.html

Or a customizer is trying to learn how other members around here remove and attach bubbles, don't blindly judge someone

vermillion21
12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
repackers are a$$clowns ... I loathe them ...

atomicpower
12-07-2008, 05:32 PM
While I'll never defend a repacker, this is Hasbro's fault. Stop making the packages so easy to open, and stop providing figures that nobody wants.

boff123
12-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Yea, it's kind of rare here, in nearly a year of hunting I've seen maybe three or four repacks; My turf being Brooklyn and Queens. Probably because we get stuff kind of late, so some of the ebay profit incentive is taken out of the equation. leaving only collectors who usually want the whole thing. It seams particularly bad in Texas and Socal which are early on the distribution curve.

hey dude, i am in queens. luckily nothing with joes but i have seen a dude repack (not in person, just his handy work on the shelves) those final wars godzilla figures with those crappy generic dinos. i am sure he is selling them on ebay. no joke, i saw about 50 between 3 tru stores. that is just funny that tru takes them back.

with all this crap, there will be a day with no returns period.

don't forget that you don't have to repack, you can just return it and say it was broken and they will take it back.

Cavbeast
12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I've seen the missing figure, I've seen the repacked Rocket Pack Duke, and yesterday I saw a Spiderman in Deathstroke package took pics and everything will have to load them. :)

The Batman
12-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I bet if they start packaging figures like they do some of that stuff in electronics where it takes an act of God and a chainsaw to get into ... we might be able to stop this madness. But then they would try to come up with some crap after they opened it to somehow get it returned. There is no winning in this battle!

Shin-Gouki
12-07-2008, 06:45 PM
While I'll never defend a repacker, this is Hasbro's fault. Stop making the packages so easy to open, and stop providing figures that nobody wants.

That says it all. Hasbro is making people want to do this by say doing a SRO pack with 1 figure somebody wants and 2 nobody wants, or the UBP with a figure that SHOULD have been single carded. On top of that everything but the single cards are real easy to reseal. And NO I am not defending them.

arch2b
12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
the logic beign posted here is utterly silly.

theft hurts other consumers more than anyone else.

the real idiots in this scenario are the retail chains that continue to put this garbage back out on the shelves for others to buy. take it back as a defective return and be done with it. for gods sake don't put an obviously opened product back on the shelves for someone else to buy at full price without atleast taking the due diligence to examine the item for authenticity.

i just saw an interesteing repack this weekend. someone had returned a tf flint with first release flint. i wanted to take a cell picture but the aisle ws full of parents/kids and felt akward digging thru action figures to begin with.

scarfacefan14
12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow. I haven't seen anything like this yet, thank god. I can't believe how low people sink to save a few bucks on some figures.
If You do the math, their only saving 2 dollars.

number six
12-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Are you in Tampa FL? I saw a DVD Pack exactly like the on in your picture LOL. Are they also conspiring to replace them with the same lame figures? That's too weird.

Yeah, I'm in Tampa, FL (is there another Tampa somewhere?). The Kung Fu Wild Bill was over at the Oldsmar Wal-Mart on Tampa Road. The others were in Trinity / New Port Ritchie and Temple Terrace so that's a pretty wide radius for anyone that knows tampa!

number six
12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
If You do the math, their only saving 2 dollars.

That's the question too, how is this that much of a savings? The only thing I can think of is maybe they bought a bunch of figures during the Target $5 sale and are now 'trading' them towards the newer figures now that the sale is over.

Otherwise, whats somebody doing with a crap load of Wild Bills unless they straight up stole them? Perhaps they can get a single figure down their pants but the DVD boxsets are too big so those they have to repack? I don't know. Like I said it's a sad day when you can't pony up $10 or $20 for figures and you have to waste this much time to get them instead. Or like others pointed out maybe they don't think it's stealing, more like creative trading?

While I think the carded figures are a bit overpriced now at $7, the DVD sets are a great deal. $20 for 4 Figures, a DVD and usually some other bonus (Mass Device piece, etc?) that's a great deal even considering usually its 3 repaints/variants and 1 new figure. So if you break it down Quick Kick is an easy buy @ 7, the DVD has to at least be worth $5 so for $8 your getting 3 variant figures and a mass device piece? That seems OK to me.. definitely not something i would consider going through the trouble of buying, repacking and returning over.. it's just sad!

jaxscorpio
12-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Perhaps Hasbro should package them with an alarm. If you try to remove the bubble without it first passing over a scanner at the register the alarm will start screaming, "HELP ME! HELP ME! I'M BEING VIOLATED BY A CHEAPSKATE!" They could also insert a small blue die bomb inside each package that will explode if you break the seal on the package that hasn't been deactivated at the register.

JR0d28
12-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I remember being at Target a month ago I found a Gold Destro CP instead of an IG Trooper someone replaced it with an SRO Duke figure.

FirstOne
12-08-2008, 04:52 AM
This doesn't suprise me. If Hasbro would have single carded the IG, then people prob wouldn't be doing this. People don't want to pay $10 for one figure and be stuck with a ton of extra Destro's. Hasbro is making this hard on troop builders. I'm glad I don't troop build IG's...

Pimp Daddy Darklon
12-08-2008, 05:02 AM
Hasbro should've just put a pic of what the package picture on the card or box so no one ever gets duped.

I do find pics of repacks amusing though. Some are very creative.

butter_the_pure
12-08-2008, 05:54 AM
some kid is going to get this for Christmas. Re-packers go to hell.

TheLongestDay
12-08-2008, 06:39 AM
This doesn't suprise me. If Hasbro would have single carded the IG, then people prob wouldn't be doing this. People don't want to pay $10 for one figure and be stuck with a ton of extra Destro's. Hasbro is making this hard on troop builders. I'm glad I don't troop build IG's...

or those troop builders could just wait for the IG/Viper 2 pack...or just trade/sell their extra Destros on here

GrenadierStinny
12-08-2008, 06:54 AM
This is a terrible plague on the Joe hobby. I see it all the time-- and not just with Joe stuff.

The people who do this are cheap losers who would rather rob and steal and lie to be in the hobby than spend the honest money needed to enjoy it. (And this isn't all that expensive of a hobby compared to most.)

I don't know how they do it. They are obviously morally bankrupt.

But, the last line of defense against this is kind of pillaging of our hobby lies with the store's customer service people. They need to look at the package and see that the contents match the pictures on the back of the package. Until they wise up, this problem isn't likely to end.

mjv306
12-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Isnt it amazing how morally pure the internet is lol? "WE would never do such a thing! For Shame!!!!"

pffft.

This is really just indicative of what people really want. THEY DONT WANT TO PAY 20$ FOR ONE NEW FIGURE!

Go back to single cards hasbro! Shit. The line did fine back in the day without comic packs or dvd packs.

Single cards and vehicles and playsets. And the line sold like hotcakes! Hell THIS line was selling like hotcakes when it was just Single CARDS!

dmizrok
12-08-2008, 07:50 AM
um, "back in the day" single cards were like 2 bucks...and no matter what anyone says, those dvd packs are a deal and a half...if the dvds came with NOTHING, thed be on the shelves for AT LEAST 10 bucks (probably more) and everyone would bitch that they were bare bones...as for the "blame it on hasbro" thats a load of shitte. if you had a garage sale and person x decided that you were charging too much for your tv, is it okay for them to steal it? or if you had 3 dvds taped together and they only wanted one, would it be cool that they swiped the "good" one?
...and then the comment on the IG / Destro 2 packs...well i bought 4 of them to get the troops...the extra Destros got their heads switched with 4 of the night watch troops...each has different colored hair and i use them as generals...

Trazz
12-08-2008, 07:56 AM
The take the figure leave the package. super common at the stores I frequent. I actually saw spirit exactly like the first pic here at target. beats me why when they have the lowest price in town 4.99

What they need to do is the reverse buy good figures and repack the pegwarmers so people will buy them and we can get a crack at a new wave.... Wild Bill Troop Builds just aren't doing it for me.

FirstOne
12-08-2008, 09:18 AM
or those troop builders could just wait for the IG/Viper 2 pack...or just trade/sell their extra Destros on here

Some people prob started repacking the IG/Destro Packs before they knew the IG/Viper one was coming out.

But, if you think about it, the IG/Viper pack is kind of late in the game. No one really needs more Vipers, I sure don't. I don't troop build IG's, but if I were I would be almost as pissed to be stuck with more Vipers than the Destro's. It sucks Troop Building using Comic Packs or Vehicle Sets. I bought a ton of Flight Pod/Ram Cycles so I could get a bunch of TeleVipers (they could of least came with gear) and I won't do something like that again.

But, no matter how Hasbro packages things, its still messed up to repack or steal figures.

simplygriff
12-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I spotted this atrocity a week or so ago.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/3078302220_924997e7c0.jpg?v=0
-G

The Batman
12-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh my dear heavens... that is an Atrocity! In fact that's just a TRAVISHAMOCKERY! And to think that some parent is going to buy that for their kids! I bet the DVD is the Valor vs Venom that came with some pack from back in that day too! If I knew who did something that haynus, I would kick them in the chin!!

kneroh
12-08-2008, 11:07 AM
That makes me absolutely sick. God I wish people not only did this, but during the return process the clerks were given more adequate training to catch these things. I worked in retail for about 10 years and we never talked about repacking.

CyberBishop
12-08-2008, 02:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/CyberBishop00001/Oddswap.jpg

kneroh
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I wish I could stop looking at this post. It makes me so god damned angry! I hate repackers. They are the scum of the collecting world.

Dustin Dean
12-08-2008, 07:22 PM
I havn't seen any re-packing here but there is alot of theft at my local wal-mart. The guy in the toy department says its just one guy doing it and they can't catch him. I swear on my collection if I see him in action I'll scream "YO JOE!" and tackle him.

Pimp Daddy Darklon
12-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Maybe we should ask Hasbro how they can address this in the next Q&A. That is if they care. This trend seems to be growing.

arashikage tat
12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
They should do to repackers what Bob De niro did to those card cheats in Casino and smash up their hands with a hammer and then tell his repacking buddies "You can have the figures and the hammer or the use of your hands, but you can't have both"

The Batman
12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Hell, I have a ton of GI Joe vs Cobra that I don't want and some Valor VS Venom. Maybe I should start re-packing some of those and doing what others do. NAH, JUST KIDDING!!! But I would love to get rid of my mistakes from 2001-2003!!

MeLikeJinx
12-09-2008, 05:06 AM
They should just make it ALL SALES FINAL on all G.I. Joe stuff; that's how it is when you buy it from a comic book shop or specialty stores. Or if you must, you can exchange it for the exact same item in which both items are compared before the exchange is made.

RBPRX1204
12-09-2008, 05:15 AM
That kick action Wild Bill is still cracking me up. I had to clean my keyboard from the coffee I sprayed. I haven't ran into any problems at the stores I shop at, but I wouldn't put it past people to do that either.

Pimp Daddy Darklon
12-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Yeah, as much as I hate repackers, I find pics of repacks amusing. Some are rather creative trying to match a replaced figure.

But still... burn in hell repackers!

angrypandaink
12-09-2008, 06:30 AM
what is stupid id that even if them paid 4.99 for the figures , they didn't save any money on that DVD pack. And, the DVD is the best part!

bluemax151
12-09-2008, 07:39 AM
This doesn't surprise me. If Hasbro would have single carded the IG, then people prob wouldn't be doing this. People don't want to pay $10 for one figure and be stuck with a ton of extra Destro's.
It's a really sad state of affairs when you can't trust other enthusiasts in your selected hobby not to be scum bags. I'd agree that it's Hasbros fault though. You can't trust an overworked/uncaring employee at Walmart or Target to catch this sort of thing and if Hasbro wasn't so greedy and trying to ensure everything sells even their massive amount of recolours this wouldn't happen for the most part. I mean they could clam shell everything but that would cost more money..

Killjoy
12-09-2008, 07:45 AM
I wonder if these guys have get-toegethers for this hobby. Welcome to www.repackers.com! Search Results Powered by OXiDE search ....radical results (TM) (http://www.repackers.com) or something.

Maybe they have contests too. Best, worst and most ironic repacks....

Tazocin
12-09-2008, 08:58 AM
what can i say... only in america...

The Albino Ice-Snake
12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
There's a special place in hell for repackers...where they can only find single carded Wild Bill, Jet Pack Dukes and Buzzers to switch out..

Hell Yea.

Jonathan
12-09-2008, 05:52 PM
They should just make it ALL SALES FINAL on all G.I. Joe stuff; that's how it is when you buy it from a comic book shop or specialty stores. Or if you must, you can exchange it for the exact same item in which both items are compared before the exchange is made.

I strongly respectfully disagree. Such a policy screws victims (like me) of thieves and repackers.

Sunday, I purchased my local K-Mart's only Fang and CLAW set (because it was on sale) - and it was missing its filecards, blueprints, and decals. I was annoyed that I couldn't exchange it for another one, and I would've been pissed had I not saved the receipt and been able to return it. >:(

bluemax151
12-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Yesterday, I picked up a bunch of BATS, a Para-Viper and a Bazooka Trooper that someone stuck used chewing gum all over. I assume this was done to prevent their sale but since I'm not a mint on card collector it was no big deal to me. Kind of disgusting though.

Saw this recently
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/legocastle/GI%20Joe/repacks/th_PIC-0024.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/legocastle/GI%20Joe/repacks/?action=view&current=PIC-0024.jpg)
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/legocastle/GI%20Joe/repacks/th_PIC-0025.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/legocastle/GI%20Joe/repacks/?action=view&current=PIC-0025.jpg)