PDA

View Full Version : Retaliation vs. Rise of Cobra opening weekend

drunknmunky
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
A lot of people on the Tank seem to think Rise of Cobra was a flop. However the numbers say otherwise. While RoC didn't seem to be well received by many it still lit up the box office pretty nicely. Here's the breakdown of how RoC did financially-
Opening weekend-
debuted at #1
Grossed 54.7 million domestically, 44 million internationally.
It's overall domestic intake was 150.2 million, while overall it brought in over 302 million dollars.
Boxoffice.com has estimated that Retaliation will do 44 million opening weekend. So my questions are simple- if Retaliation has a lower opening than RoC will it be a failure? Do you think that Retaliation will take in more than RoC? I can only have 1 question in the poll but I'm convinced that Retaliation will not beat RoC's opening weekend. I'm not looking for excuses on why it won't break RoC's opening numbers. If Retaliation is that much better than there shouldn't have to be excuses. So what do you think? Will Retaliation top RoC's opening weekend numbers? And it doesn't will that make it a box office flop?

CobraSnakeEyes
05-22-2012, 11:34 PM
ROC- Flop, Crap, Shit all similes it was an Retaliation will rule the world like Cobra Commander wipes his ass with ROC!

the odinson
05-22-2012, 11:38 PM
i could give a shit about the numbers. i just hope retaliation is a better movie, based on the merits of the actual film, not the box office. because money aside, roc was an absolute, sy fy channel, straight to DVD type piece of shit.

Zarana
05-22-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm going to buy nachos this time so the numbers will be at least six dollars higher.

CrimsonGuard101
05-22-2012, 11:40 PM
1) Reinvigorated fan base
2) Pretty much reboot of ROC
3) The Rock

John Chu > Stepehen Sommers

1+2+3 = WIN!

I feel Retaliaition is going to torunce ROC...period...

the odinson
05-22-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm going to buy nachos this time so the numbers will be at least six dollars higher.

ha! just for that, i too will partake of nachos at retaliation.

drunknmunky
05-22-2012, 11:42 PM
i could give a shit about the numbers. i just hope retaliation is a better movie, based on the merits of the actual film, not the box office. because money aside, roc was an absolute, sy fy channel, straight to DVD type piece of shit.

But the studios care about money. That's pretty much it. If the movie is making a ton of money than it doesn't matter how crappy it is. The studios are only interested on the numbers so in order to be successful a movie needs numbers. But if Retaliation can't put up RoC numbers will it be considered a flop?

the odinson
05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
But the studios care about money. That's pretty much it. If the movie is making a ton of money than it doesn't matter how crappy it is. The studios are only interested on the numbers so in order to be successful a movie needs numbers. But if Retaliation can't put up RoC numbers will it be considered a flop?

i guess i just don't care. i love gi joe toys and want them to keep going, but i'll take a really good movie that 'flops' over a bunch of turds (like the tf movies) that make tons of money. call me crazy.

Drawing Heat
05-22-2012, 11:49 PM
I think The Rock will bring in the general public. I think the fans and former fans liked what they saw so far. And as always, word of mouth will carry it(if it's good). I think in the long run it will be more successful. I also think the Rock doesn't give two drops of monkey urine about what i think.

drunknmunky
05-22-2012, 11:50 PM
i guess i just don't care. i love gi joe toys and want them to keep going, but i'll take a really good movie that 'flops' over a bunch of turds (like the tf movies) that make tons of money. call me crazy.

But the TF movies brought in more fans, thus selling more toys, etc. That's what we want from Joe. The more successful the line is the better. I personally liked the TF movies but know absolutely nothing about Transformers so I had an empty slate while watching them. They made a ton of money and helped the brand. RoC obviously made good money but did pretty much nothing for the brand. Honestly I'm not sure many people seen the movie and randomly decided to get the figures. But don't we need a blockbuster like TF in order to expand the brand beyond what it has become, which seems to be a second tier action figure relegated to just a couple pegs?

starbuck
05-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Nachos don't belong in a movie theater.

Zarana
05-22-2012, 11:53 PM

I'll finish them during the previews. I'm not an animal.

the odinson
05-22-2012, 11:55 PM
But the TF movies brought in more fans, thus selling more toys, etc. That's what we want from Joe. The more successful the line is the better. I personally liked the TF movies but know absolutely nothing about Transformers so I had an empty slate while watching them. They made a ton of money and helped the brand. RoC obviously made good money but did pretty much nothing for the brand. Honestly I'm not sure many people seen the movie and randomly decided to get the figures. But don't we need a blockbuster like TF in order to expand the brand beyond what it has become, which seems to be a second tier action figure relegated to just a couple pegs?

i guess i could get over non stop really shitty movies that were mega successful if it directly resulted in more quality, non movie related joe merchandise, because the i definitely care more about the toy line than the move line. we'll see.

the odinson
05-22-2012, 11:56 PM
oh, yes they do.
I'll finish them during the previews. I'm not an animal.

i finish them during the previews because i'm not a woman.

CrimsonGuard101
05-23-2012, 12:00 AM

We need a solid, well thought out cartoon with some increidble art on a magnitude that reosnnates with the movie that BOTH collectors and children can get behind. This will propel the toys more so then a one shot movie. Movies come and go...we had multiple seasons of a joe cartoon to carry the story onward...and that spawned all maner of toys...we do not have that today..the toys cannot survive on sub quality movie toys...

The Commander
05-23-2012, 12:04 AM
It'll beat 54 million. I'll call 63 million opening weekend

Crazy Legs
05-23-2012, 02:12 AM
ROC basically broke even in the Box office.
We need to know Retaliation budget to guess if a 44 mil opening is good or bad.
Ret can do better bringing in less money if they spend less to make it.

Steevy Maximus
05-23-2012, 09:58 AM
We need a solid, well thought out cartoon with some increidble art on a magnitude that reosnnates with the movie that BOTH collectors and children can get behind.
Which will never happen. Collectors (at least Joe collectors, it seems) resonated more with the comic than cartoon, and almost anything Hasbro does to appeal to kids will be viewed as "crap" by collectors.
Further, with how fractured kids tv is these days and the fact Hasbro basically couldn't get anyone to carry a GI Joe cartoon going on a decade, a cartoon isn't going to do it.

Hell, Transformers has basically had a cartoon consistently, since 1997, but the movie still elevated the brand to an unimagined degree. The movies did more for the brand than any cartoon, and I feel the same is true of Joe (a successful movies series will benefit the brand more than a successful cartoon)

It'll beat 54 million. I'll call 63 million opening weekend
Eh...I think Retaliation has a good spot, I'm going to call 60 million.

ROC basically broke even in the Box office.
We need to know Retaliation budget to guess if a 44 mil opening is good or bad.
Ret can do better bringing in less money if they spend less to make it.
Yeah, RoC DID make 300 Million...off a 175 million budget (which is more than Transformers 1 cost, believe or not). And that doesn't count the enormous marketing cost with it (which I'm NOT seeing thus far with Retaliation) Retaliation's budget isn't out...but I've guestimated the area of $125-ish million.

I think the opening weekend will end up in the 55-65 range, and depending on how hard Spider-Man hit it, probably end up with a domestic run in the 175 range. If the international returns are at LEAST as good as RoC's (I'm expecting better between the increased role of STorm Shadow and just the increase in the Asian market in general), I think the film will be deemed a success and get a sequel.
With the loss of the Marvel properties, I really think Paramount is eyeing Joe as a potential "alternative" action franchise to compliment Star Trek

drunknmunky
05-23-2012, 12:59 PM
The problem is most looked at RoC as a failure. The reviews were pretty bad. So that's why they decided to do a different route with Retaliation. New director, star studded cast, attempting to separate themselves from RoC as much as possible. But if this movie actually does worse than RoC won't it be considered a failure?

Xenos
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM
I think that it's opening weekend will be right in the same neighborhood as RoC. Overall I think it will do a little bit better then RoC. I think it will do similar numbers to something like last year's Captain America.

Xenos
05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
It's interesting how badly Box Office Mojo missed on this Avengers prediction:
Summer 2012 Domestic Forecast - Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3433&p=.htm)

They wrote that article just two days before Avengers came out. I wonder if this was just a case of them missing on this one movie, or if their predictions are going to be low overall due to an unexpectedly strong box office. If that's the case, I could see Retaliation hitting $200 million on the high side.

orezona
05-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm going to sneak a 40 of King Cobra into the theater and drink it with a straw.

What? This isn't the thread to talk about what kind of snacks you plan on enjoying while taking in a summer blockbuster action flick?

http://www.shittybeer.com/img/beer_pics/kingcobra/kingCobra_thumb.png

VideoViper
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
ROC did well its opening weakend. (When most Joe fans saw the movie regardless of whether it was viewed as good.)

This is promising to the movie studio, that they have a good brand that people want to see a GI Joe movie.

That said, overall it did 150 million domestically & about the same internationally

Box Office Mojo (http://boxofficemojo.com)
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $150,201,498 49.7%
+ Foreign: $152,267,519 50.3%
= Worldwide: $302,469,017

This film was expected to do more. More wishfull thinking on the studios part since they dumped it in Aug a traditional slower time for the box office.

These numbers do not include: dvd streamming rentals DVD sales other secondary money sources. etc.

reported Production Budget: $175 million

$302
=
$127 million profit.

Sounds good right?

Now here the real test...
Why was this movie made? to sell toys. They didn't sell well. ROC toys could be found in plenty 2 years after the movie ended.

Now from a movie studio's view (not a joe fans view)
The movie did well enough to cover costs on less successful movies. Good.
Big opening weekend with a huge drop off in attendance. Starts good but ends badly.

Partnership with Hasbro Good. This is where the push for a sequal likely came from since Hasbro needs the movie to sell toys

From a movie studio view, Take the money & run Bad for Joe fans, & I suspect a Joe 2 movie was a big what if for a while. (longer disscussion, that I'm not getting into now)

ROC is in the top 500 movies to make a profit.
All Time Domestic Rank 223
All Time Worldwide Rank 261
Good

Reason: The price of tickets has drastically risen & since they count money not actual ticket sales this screws the charts up like compairing apples to oranges. (Per ticket/head Wizard of Oz & Gone with the Wind earned much more since more people actually saw those films in theatres) But the price of a ticket was drastically lower so it is quite amazing these films still do show up in the top 500.

Retaliation will do well. As current indications is that it will last longer in theatres than ROC & may have a wider audience.

If it can transfer over to sell toys we will see more movies.
IF it can't let Renegades cartoon continue!

VideoViper
05-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Because I didn't type enough in the last post:

I found it interesting that in the Toy Adaptation catagory ROC is #4 guess who is in spots 1-3? (granted not a big catagory)

Toy Adaptation Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=toyadaptation.htm)

kennywr22
05-23-2012, 02:40 PM
They estimate only 44 million?! Are you friggin kidding? I think 68 million at the least. Your talking 25 million Friday with a 30 million Saturday and a good 20 on Sunday. Just a guess.

Stl_Brgd_PFC_Ramar
05-23-2012, 02:52 PM
I wish there was a bit more spread between the opening of Joe Retaliation and Amazing Spiderman....Retaliation is only out for 4 days before Spiderman comes out.

drunknmunky
05-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I wish there was a bit more spread between the opening of Joe Retaliation and Amazing Spiderman....Retaliation is only out for 4 days before Spiderman comes out.

Retaliation June 29th
Spider Man July 3rd
Ice Age July 13th
Dark Knight Rises July 20th

Retaliation's reign will be very short lived.