PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the name changes

mackdawg77
10-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Why is Nemesis Immortal instead of Inforcer? Why is Main Frame called Dataframe?

MAJOR BLOOD
10-31-2008, 11:26 AM
I believe it is because Hasbro does not own the rights to those names. Don't quote me on that though.

spacemonkeymafia
10-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Because AGAIN they lost the rights to the names.....it really isnt a hard concept to grasp...

gunslingercbr
10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
I believe it is because Hasbro does not own the rights to those names. Don't quote me on that though.

nope, quote him on it. it is a trademark issue. some names they weren't able to obtain again (I think the Immortal issue probably has something to do with the legal issue they were having with the animated movie itself that prevented it from being the 5th DVD set), as well as the fact that trademark laws have changed over the years and some names simply may not be trademarkable anymore.

fogger1138
10-31-2008, 11:32 AM
It's a trademark thing - I talk about it a little more here (http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-real-american-hero-modern-toys/22823-wave-4-g-i-joe-vehicles-lift-ticket-copperhead-3.html#post396251).

Lifeline_MD
10-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Those names were trademarked (or copyrighted) by other companies for their use in novels, or toys or whatever. Therefore Hasbro can't use them without paying money to the other company, therefore increasing the cost of that specific joe to produce, therefore increasing the price we will pay for the entire line to compensate.

So instead they give them new names they can copyright so that we can still get the figures and we know them to be named differently, but it just isn't printed on the packaging. Therefore you get Mainframe as a figure, but the package says dataframe and you pay less, and can call the figure whatever you want.

fireflyguy
10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Why is Nemesis Immortal instead of Inforcer? Why is Main Frame called Dataframe?

Isn't it "Dataframer" now?

I might take the stand and do my own custom to make it say Mainframe.

Troynos
10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
What they said, this was one of the Joe Collector Clubs Q&A questions (which was my suggestion, lol).

Hasbro: This is based on legal reasons. Our preference is to keep the original code name or add a rank to it. If this is not possible we then consider using the full name or changing the name slightly to get a new trademark.

There ya go, direct from Hasbro.

kingphilbert
10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
In the IDW GI Joe #0 sketch section the show Roadblock and list him as Heavy Duty. Is this copyright, mistake, or movie related? All the figures have been Roadblock this past year or so.

Troynos
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
In the IDW GI Joe #0 sketch section the show Roadblock and list him as Heavy Duty. Is this copyright, mistake, or movie related? All the figures have been Roadblock this past year or so.

Movie related.

darthfoley
10-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Movie related, and annoying.

I don't care if they want to use Heavy Duty, but if you're going to use that character, then use the HD design, not Roadblock's.

lister
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
It's a good thing the copyright laws were a little bit more relaxed during the ARAH days. Otherwise Footloose would have angered one Mr. Kevin Bacon, Cover Girl would have been tied up in litigation with some hot chicks, Spirit would have undoubtedly upset a few ghosts, and I don't even want to think what the Decepticons would have done about Shockwave.

meleeinabox
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
You know I would believe this if I knew of another product called the name in question. To me it seems like Hawk could have easily been General Hawk instead of Tomahawk esp. being Hawk was put out in 1997 as General Hawk and then 3 years later in 2000 as Tomahawk what the name lapsed that fast?

ceraurus
10-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Movie related, and annoying.

I don't care if they want to use Heavy Duty, but if you're going to use that character, then use the HD design, not Roadblock's.

Because I prefer the character of Roadblock, I'd rather see Roadbloack in the comic and pretend that's who it is than see Heavy Duty. But that's just me.

Troynos
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Roadblock and Heavy Duty were essentially the same character, in terms of roles on the team.

There's even a scene in a DDP comic where Roadblock looks at Heavy Duty and goes "What are you, my replacement?"

It makes sense to roll the two characters into one.

For whatever reason the movie went with Heavy Duty, I think it was because that was the name of the character in Sigma Six, the most recent mass-market Joes (tv and toys). So that one would be more recognizable then Roadblock.

IDW did it for the same reason. With the movie and Sigma Six, Heavy Duty was more recognizable so had a broader range.

Basically, you take the cooler character (Roadblock) and use the more currently recognizable name (Heavy Duty) and you're good to go.