PDA

View Full Version : Are your children uninterested in GI Joe toys?

brock Samson
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
I've been with my GF for two years and she has a son and daughter, 10 and 7. He is into Lego and we bonded a little bit with that but the problem is he's really only interested in star wars Lego but he doesn't build anything! He only liked the mini figures.

In comes the 25th line and my renewed interest in GI Joe. I figure he would be more interested in GI Joe since he only likes the Lego mini figures and doesn't build with the blocks. Why wouldn't a kid like larger figures with more accessories and better pose ability? Last Hanukkah, I gave him an anniversary box set which I got for 7.50 on clearance at Target. To my pleasure, he seemed pretty into them and was putting them in different poses and playing with them.

His grandmother asks me what to get him and I tell her GI Joe. Well, she went to Target and found them sold out and bought him bravo team (blech). He opened them and didn't really use them. In fact, his sister was more interested in playing with them. Two to three weeks pass an he didn't touch them once and was back to star wars Lego.

Fast forward months later and I find out he took them with his mom to a yard sale her friend was having. Someone stole two figures at the table, he didn't sell any GI Joe but did sell all of the bravo team ironically enough. I was disappointed and started realizing that the toy alone is not enough to keeps most kids interest. I think it's a lack of imagination in kids today.

What kids want is what is on tv and what their friends have. Their friends get what's in commercials and on cartoons. That's the bakugan, pokemon and transformers toys. They don't see GI Joe in popular kids culture and have no desire to adopt it.

What are your thoughts? I never see a kid look for GI Joe in a store, only adults.

Steinberg
10-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Yea, I never see kids looking at them either; but my roommate's 7 year old niece loves battling it out when she comes over.

Tankster
10-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Both of my sons (9 & 7)are more into legos and all the lego video games and such they have some star wars and joes but rarely play with them and they dont even touch there hotwheels anymore

vwong19
10-20-2008, 11:08 AM
My son is 4 months old so it will take some time before he's into any toys in general, but I did collect Star War Legos before I discovered the 25th GI Joe line. I hope my boy will become interested in playing with both since his nursery (my toy room) is filled with both those toys.

I think you are correct that if kids are not exposed to a certain culture then they will not adopt them. As a kid growing up I watched Transformers and GI Joe everyday and was probably brainwashed into buying those toys. After the shows stopped airing in my area, I think that was the reason I stopped playing with them... or maybe because they started to look lame IMO. Plus my school friends were into other things at the time so I started doing other things.

By the time my son grows up, maybe GI Joe Resolute will be the Hot thing (probably not) and then he will want to play with them. Or maybe because his room is currently filled with SW Legos and Joes he'll by default like them because I like them.

I don't know about you, but it seems like if the toy isn't on a video game, it's not going to succeed now. Maybe GI Joe needs to venture in developing some more multimedia stuff for today's kids.

Gunzlingr
10-20-2008, 11:09 AM
My son bounces between Justice League, SW and GI Joe. As he nears his 9th Bday, he finally will mix them up a bit - before he only played with 1 line at a time. He will play with action figures for hours on end.

Dawg99
10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
my son is almost 3 and he loves gi joe stuff

brock Samson
10-20-2008, 11:11 AM
I think the lack of pop kid culture involving GI Joe handicaps the line's size and sales. Resolute is very adult themed and wouldn't work. The movie will be good but may not translate well to the rest of the line. I've never seen any info but I'm curious how Transformers effected non movie toys post die down of the movie hotness.

Basically they need an updated RAH cartoon. Sigma six didn't work, it was just too goofy to grasp the interest of kids and they created a whole different toy line for it instead of using what they already had! I think I need to be hired to the marketing team at Hasbro and help them correctly drive their toy lines.

Vandil
10-20-2008, 11:22 AM
I think people have hit it on the head. Today there is no cartoon, comics are not as popular as they were 25yrs ago. One of the reasons I support the comic packs, they at least have the ability to tell the story and give a little life to the toy line.

I wasted a ton of time putting every Joe Cartoon episode, mini series, and movie onto DVD so my children can be brainwashed err I mean enjoy the line with all of its back story.

VIPER 48
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
My 5 month old son tries to chew on the packaging, i would say he is kinda interested...lol

bravo
10-20-2008, 11:40 AM
my nephew is going to be 3 and hes always been after my Joe's. he loves playing with them.

Agent-GHQ
10-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I can''t even imagine kids liking the GI Joes when their is no cartoon for them to see from the get-go. I don;t have kid myself, but I don't even see my nephews playing with GI Joes either.

Tracker
10-20-2008, 01:41 PM
yea it's because there in no cartoon for them

slim19722
10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
My son's are 13 & 10 and only reason they are into Joe's is because I have them. I collect Star Wars too and as with Joe, they're only interested in them because I have them. But they have wanted SW toys as gifts, where as with Joe's, they don't want them as gifts. Tried getting them to watch the Joe toons and they just aren't interested in them, but occasionaly, they'll checkout some of my Joe comics.

BIG BOSS
10-20-2008, 01:54 PM
weird,my nephew bugs me for joes.hes only 8 or 9.i dont know hhow he knows about them.he even names some.he knows i collect them but never got a chance to show him my stuff.every time i see him, comes and asks for more joes and cobras.tight.i plan to get him more into it.spread the word!
his dad,my bro,looks at me with doubt about it,since he used to play with joes along time ago.he knows how expensive theyll get and i dont care.ill get his son to loving it.
my daughter,who is 2 loves it.every time a package comes in the mail.she crys "Yo Joe!".

ceraurus
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
My kids (7 and almost 4) are somewhat interested. I gave them a couple dozen figures, which they'll play with occasionally. They tend to get bored with what they have and want to play with my collection! Having a cartoon would definitely help - often they want to play with whatever show is on at the moment (Batman, Transformers, Spider-Man, etc.). When they're sitting they want to do things like watch tv, play video games, or play with play-doh and legos. Otherwise they prefer running around and other gross motor activities.

Mainframe
10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Other than from influence from collectors, children have no exposure to Joes, and therefore no children are into them. Unless there is a revamp of a cartoon or if another one comes out, Joes will NOT be popular with kids. Comic books are not as popular, and this is what worries me a bit about opening up the amounts of peg spots at toy Target and WM.....the reproductions aern't moving. Why? Because the collectors already have what they need, but the kids, they're not buying them.

Gatchaman
10-20-2008, 04:01 PM
My son will be 4 in January and he loves playing and watching GI Joe. If I was not into them, he would have no idea what GI Joe even is.

Kids need a cartoon of GI Joe or they will never get into them, period. We wanted what was on TV when we were kids and they are no different. Although when I think back, I collected GI Joe before the Mass device ever even aired. So I did in fact get into them just because the toy looked cool. That’s just not enough these days though.

Syn3sthesia
10-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I just saw the catalog for the weekly sales for TRU. Kids with iPods, need I say more.

A freakin iPod for an 8yr old? I just got one last year for Xmas!!!

solo0525
10-20-2008, 04:23 PM
My son likes Gi Joe he actually calls them cherrios ... hes 4 but he likes all of toys basically ... I think he will be influenced by me but If I didnt collect toys hes would probably end up liking what he sees on tv ... so its sad ... I guess we are the last generation of real toy lovers... moment of silence

TTT
10-20-2008, 06:06 PM
I got into Joes cause my older cousin had them(1983) I never even seen the cartoon or comics at that point but I knew I HAD to have them.
I don't think it's a lack of comic/cartoon, kids like what OTHER kids like.
It just happens most kids nowadays like toys that don't appeal to "us".
They're probably wondering why we have Joes & not Lego.
Let the kids choose the toys they like, they'll have more fun that way.
Don't force Joes on kids...they'll just roll their eyes every time they see them...or sell them at a yard sale.

Shortfuse
10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
The whole no cartoon is the big reason here. In the 1980's kids (most of us here) were barraged from all sides with merch, toy commercials and 30 min commercials which were the cartoons. Today thats not enough even. With a media onslaught with internet and video games and Lord knows what else, kids don't really get a chance to fall in love with toys. Once they open the package the next big thing is out, they lose interest in what they have, and they gotta get the new thing now because all their friends have to have it too!

I did see one cool kid at a Target a few weeks ago when I was buying my Rattler. He was about 4 years old. He walked up to the Rattler and stared at it with wide-eyed wonder and asked me "WHAT IS THAT?!" I smiled at him and said "Thats gonna be mine." He smiled back at me and said "That is cool!" He then went over to his mom and proceeded to ask her if he could get one. I don't know if he convinced her or not but just to see his excitement for something he probably knew nothing about was great. If I hadn't been broke after buying that Rattler, I would have probably gotten him one if his mom was okay with it.

Vulcan Raven
10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I have seen on one occasion a kid between the ages of 8 and 10 carrying one of the new 12 inch snake eyes figures in a mall and on another occasion i was in a target and i saw a father telling his kid how cool the single carded snake eyes figure was and how he would buy it if it was his money. Guess what the kid wanted though, Bakugan...:(

mister-x
10-20-2008, 06:46 PM
both of my boys (11&7) love them, they go back and forth between starwars and gijoe, depends on who has the newest stuff...plus i still have all mine in boxes that they love to get out and see...i plan on fixing the rubberbands and giving it all to them, we found a 99% complete headquarters (missing control panel flip up) for $30, that, and the vehicles really boosted thier intrest

Gung.Heaux
10-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Young.Heaux is 13...about the age i was when i lost interest in Joes and gained interest in JANES. (and i assure you, hes garnered an interest in JANES...little cut-outs of ashley tisdale in his wallet.....if his mom sees that its heart attack city.)

if i didnt bring home action figures, i dont think he'd bat an eye at the figure aisle. itd be straight to electronics--video games.

he looks at my joes, thinks theyre neat, comments on each when it goes up anew, but seems to have no desire to have any....save for the snow serpent, which i bought him and he displays like i do. (how can anyone resist the snow serpent?)

this past summer, my son and daughter (shes 11), were allowed to stay up late, on weekends. they saw what daddy does til 4am, opening new joes, re-posing and rearranging old ones. they think its cute when dad plays with his "dolls". they laugh, but they respect what i love and keep the comments on the level of vex and jest.

CG76
10-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Kids love what their peers play. So if they have classmates who play with Joes, it may increase their attraction to GI Joe. Also, as one Tanker pointed out in this thread, you need a GI Joe cartoon with GI Joe commercial to reinforce their interests. So I believe GI Joe Resolute and the movie will be good for the GI Joe brand.

Stoner
10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
My 6yr old son love them..We watch the classic cartoons on DVD all the time. He loves Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes..But wonders why SS always fights Spirit in the cartoons and not Snake Eyes..Down side...Buying 2 of everything..Raising the boy right..priceless

Ewokhunter92
10-20-2008, 07:52 PM
My 10 year old son likes YUGIOH, Bakugan, Pokemon, Wii and PS3.

When I go to stores, he runs to the aisles for me (grown men look stupid doing this) finds what I am looking for then goes to the games.

If I get a case in the mail, he opens it and pulls them out.

The only thing we do together of the sort is play Star Wars miniatures. Other than that, it's video games for us.

Derek2783
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I've got 5 nephews, ages 5, 7, 9, 13, and 16.

The 16yr old will play with his little brothers for fun, but the other four LOVE their Joes - they are always looking forward to the next birthday or Christmas because they know they'll get two Joes from me, and occassionally more for Christmas.

For the past two years, they've been totally into the Joe world. They got a box of the '91 trading cards, so now they're slowly learning about the characters' personalities and backgrounds...

all that to say, there are some kids who are seriously love the line, and with the movie, I think it's going to get bigger. I can only hope Hasbrois able to get a kid-targeted Joe toon out there in the next year or so, and Joe will be back on top!!!

vupa0101
10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
its pretty sad, I bought my lil Bro (10) and nephew (7) the snakeeyes and SS dvd pack that came out a few years ago and they only played with it a few days. When i was a kid we were too poor to afford Joes but i had some friends who let me borrow thiers, even had the major bludd with the fake hair. we didnt have video games back then so it gave us plenty of time to build up a cobra fort and infiltrate it. nowadays, i wont buy them toys because i know they wont take care of them. I gave them both a kinja ku SS and said if they could keep it for one year w/o losing anything then maybe ill start adding to their collection. A cartoon would really help, you guys notice how the quality of cartoons has dropped off, we dont have cable but i couldve swore there were always cartoons to look forward to after school and on sat mornings.

Sergeant Slaughter
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Not to be rude, but BUY your kids a DVD pack. Watching Arise Serpentor Arise the other day, it could easily pass for a cartoon today and features a MEGA TON of GI Joe stuff. Figures and vehicles that are available on shelves now.

Kids will eat it up.

The DVDs are out there folks. That's why these DVD packs have been so ingenuis. Kid buys it, watches it, is WOWed into GI Joe and immediately learns of all these characters, weapons and vehicles. Goes to store, buys them.

B.A.T.
10-21-2008, 03:16 AM
My 5 month old son tries to chew on the packaging, i would say he is kinda interested...lol

Hey! He's chewin on MY card!!!!

MeLikeJinx
10-24-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm trying to get my nephew (4 years old) to like G.I. Joes by letting him play with some of mine (Roadblock, Gung-Ho, Red Ninja Leader, and a broken Hawk, lol), in the hopes that he will get hooked and ask his dad for G.I. Joes for Christmas, so that when he stops playing with them and moves on to something else I will get to have them. LOL. But it is not going well. LOL.

1SGHauser
10-24-2008, 02:43 AM
No idea, she's a month and a half old. Though I hope to get my daughter into it. I'm sure my wife will discourage my daughters interest in boy toys, but it'll make it easier for me to play/relate to her if she is. I'm not saying I won't play Barbie or my little pony with her, but I would prefer to play Joes. I'll keep an extra Lady Jaye, Baroness and Scarlett handy just in case.

kndy
10-25-2008, 09:22 PM
My 5-year-old son is not interested in GI Joe's modern or vintage. Too small and in his words not cool like "Transformers". Although, he did feel Sigma 6 is very cool because of the cool weapons and the vehicles. I think it has to do with the animated series today and what they see on tv. I show him my GI Joe cartoon DVD's and he'll watch but perhaps because the sheer number of characters in the 80's cartoons, whereas in a show like Transformers Animated and even Pokemon, it's a repetitive group that he constantly sees.

I mean, he even likes the 80's "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" because the main characters are the same people...villains change but easy to remember the characters and storylines for those characters are not as varied as the 80's GI Joe series.